Code of Conduct

Default Jovan Musk for Men... Am I Nuts?

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I sprayed some Jovan Musk for Men on my forearm at the drugstore, on a whim. Walked around, shopped, and somehow ended up really liking the scent on me... bought the bottle and on the way home / rest of the evening enjoyed the scent even more as it calmed down a bit.

I grew up in the 70's but never wore this back then, so it doesn't come along with any personal memories. It certainly has some "disco stu" vibe, but to me seems smooth, refined and so very different (in a good way) from many of today's contemporary (and in many cases far more expensive) frags. Also seems to have great longevity and sillage compared to most.

So I'm looking for some honest opinions... am I crazy, or is this a classic fragrance that's stood the test of time? Or (as I've seen some imply) is it cheap and crass in a way that just doesn't fit into civilized society today? Does Anyone wear it regularly as more than a curiosity?

Would love to hear all opinions, thanks!

Best,

Joel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jovan Musk for Men... Am I Nuts?

You're not nuts. I used to wear Jovan Musk regularly and found it to be a nice scent. A little odd, but nice. Sometimes it smelled like dandelions and pungent musk, very oddly green and '70s. Other times it smelled clean, like freshly-laundered clothes. I could never quite figure out exactly what that one was supposed to be. It does, however, have a little bit of a cheapy-cheap feel, particularly in how the notes separate and the scent evolution accelerates. It's like it goes from being a murky floraly musk at first, to a very rapid drydown of musk and spice. It happened faster and faster every time I wore it - maybe because the air in the bottle touched off the balance of the top notes. But other than these little things, it's an all-around good scent imo.

My favorite Coty (not Coty Prestige) scent is Aspen, however. I think that one is better than any of the Jovans, although I do like Black Musk, too.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:50 PM.

It's a genuine guilty pleasure. Those of a certain age might remember this as one of the ultimate "hey baby, what's your sign" type of fragrances. Yes, it is that cheesy. Also kind of sexy and fun. I like it, but I try not to let anyone catch me wearing it. Brings back fond memories of some very bad behavior.

I personally don't think of this as being classic or a classy scent. However, I understand that everyone has his own likes and dislikes. So the fact that it has its fans doesn't surprise me.

Sur la Plage

It's definitely a classic. Enjoy!

I like it, but I hardly ever wear it. I don't think it's tacky. The opening floral blast does smell synthetic and cheap to me, but it all tones down after about 15 minutes, and then the musk comes through. That's when Jovan Musk For Men really hits its stride, and remains a good scent until the end.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    agree ... it was a good, clean musky scent of its times, but those times passed - it's dated ...

I wish i still had the bottle i got for xmas when i was like 9.

Fragrance is, ultimately, a subjective thing. Art is art, even if it is labeled "bad" or in poor taste by others. On a personal note, I wore this a long time ago Wouldn't wear it again due to bad associations with it and the less-than-satisfactory longevity.

I bought an 88ml spray bottle of Musk for Men today for $5.

I've smelled a lot worse musky scents than this one.
    Renato

In my opinion, a slight bit too soapy (and I usually like soapy scents) and somehow unilaterally powdery scent, maybe it still has to grow in me, but I don't get much development or uniqueness from this one

Blog Entries

it's up there with SEX APPEAL!

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I like it, but I hardly ever wear it. I don't think it's tacky...
    Same here. IMHO, there are better renditions of musks for men, Dana's / Ex Houbigant, for example, even Royal Copenhagen. Kiehl's is the best value for money albeit femenine - call it a better quality version of Jovan's.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree.....I also wore this back in the day.....A very nice fragrance and one that won't break the bank!!!
    Gary

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have always loved Jovan Musk and Sex Appeal since i came across them in 1979. Classics, and very good, if you don't let price define the quality of a frag for you.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I have always loved Jovan Musk and Sex Appeal since i came across them in 1979. Classics, and very good, if you don't let price define the quality of a frag for you.
    SO TRUE! I wonder how many scents are overlooked by some of our members because they believe a scent may be cheap because the price is low!

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    SO TRUE! I wonder how many scents are overlooked by some of our members because they believe a scent may be cheap because the price is low!
    The only problem is that if one tests all the made-to-be-sold cheap scents (as opposed to the now heavily discounted, but formerly expensive scents), one will be testing a lot of very sub to sub-sub average scents.
    I've decided it's not worth the effort unless someone with experience was willing to do the onerous task, and then positively mentions one here.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The only problem is that if one tests all the made-to-be-sold cheap scents (as opposed to the now heavily discounted, but formerly expensive scents), one will be testing a lot of very sub to sub-sub average scents.
    I've decided it's not worth the effort unless someone with experience was willing to do the onerous task, and then positively mentions one here.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Ditto.

I'm sort of up to that task, though. I'll try anything once.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:50 PM.

You're so correct. I always enjoyed Royal Copenhagen's although many didn't.

Basenotes Plus

Jovan Musk for Men, in its current formulation is similar in scent to the Vintage, but less aromatic and oily. I have vintage splashes that form a very potent and thick scent that opens wonderfully sharp (sure, a little synthetic) but the heart and drydown last for hours and hours. Most everything you buy today will not be of the same quality from earlier Vintage bottles.

Aromatics, longevity and potency is far superior in older juice. I, personally, came back to Vintage Musks for kicks in a lot purchase of several bottles and then sought out specific ones I remembered from my youth. This was to capture the scents my father splashed on when I was a young boy. Call me nuts, too. I adore Vintage Jovan Musk for Men, Jovan Sex Appeal (again, tried current and vintage is much better), Royal Copenhagen Musk (Vintage is very good!), Coty Musk for Men, and Jovan White Musk for Men (which is wonderful in the warm weather - just lighter and less longevity). I recently acquired a Vintage Houbigant 2oz Splash and Jovan Musk for Men Evening Edition to round things out. I am holding off on Kiehl's Musk, for now, as I did feel it was a touch too feminine for me upon application - but certainly had excellent quality & appeal! Very unisex. This time-warp of scent started off with a whim when I was talking to my father one day - I decided to go back 25+ years and revisit these scents (some of which my father didn't have, but I became very intrigued).

I will not say which is best - on any given day (or evening), I find myself reaching for a bottle. They are stored under my bathroom sink in a cabinet. Not because I am ashamed. Most of my collection is at a locked and secure storage. But, I just like the vibe of reaching in, pulling out a bottle, pouring a measured amount into the cap and splashing it on from my cupped hand (usually 3 or so equal parts). I will never buy a spray bottle of any of these scents. To me, the macho/old-school vibe that I adore (and remember from my father) comes from the "splash-effect". It engulfs your senses and it wears differently.

I find something in each bottle that is both unique & memorable - but Jovan Musk for Men in the Vintage formulation is simply one of my favorites!

Cheers!

Update - got a larger sample and put the wonderful elixir that is Kiehl's Original on, once again (I've come back to it several times). It has fully won me over...amazing! I found myself drawn to it. I realize that it actually has the elements of musk that are most daring - and the fact that it is truly unisex adds more appeal. It also blends very well with my body chemistry. I think the reason I didn't get it before is that I was leaning into 'macho' too much - this is ALL about grace, balance and beauty! Excellent.
    Last edited by ericrico; 21st March 2014 at 07:23 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I love Jovan White Musk for Men. It's one of my summer favorites. It smells like apples and peaches in the beginning, but not in a girly way. People loved it when I wore it to work. I have the Black Musk, too, but to me, Jovan Black Musk is more about lavender than anything.

Hey there, you're not nuts. I like this one a lot! It's a simple scent and I mean that as a good thing. Simple's always better than an overly complicated "confused" smelling scent. I bought a bottle of Jovan Musk about a month ago, and while I like it, it's the only fragrance in my collection (of 8 fragrances in total) that I haven't been brave enough to wear out in public yet. I love it but I've been too afraid to wear it for fear of it being percieved as a bit feminine. It's awesome, just wish people percieved it as being as masculine as say Drakkar Noir! I'll give Jovan Musk a go tomorrow for the first time, wish me luck!

Have only tried Sex Appeal. It decreased the desire to try another Jovan quite a bit.

Noway too perfumey and cheap smelling on my skin.

It does smell a bit cheap...

I wore this in my teens.....A nice fragrance.....No, You are not nuts!!!
    Gary

I used to wear this since the 80s, picked up a bottle recently and still enjoy it.

I can't get over the fact it smells like a cheap 1968 aquanet hairspray.

I LOVE this fragrance

Jovan Musk was my signature scent back in the late 70's/early 80's. I still like it, but don't wear it much. I just fell in love with Tabu! Keep the old cheepie classics ALIVE!
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I like Jovan Musk, but like most musks it feels like an incomplete fragrance to me. I LOVE Sex Appeal though, and wish to hell KL Homme wasn't discontinued so I could try it. I am wearing Cartier Declaration right now, and I think if Jovan Musk had a spicy Cumin note it would be a poor mans version of Declaration.