Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brand New Fragrance left in cold car overnight - swear it smells different!

Hi gang,

Feel like a bit of a fool, and am hoping I simply have olfactory fatigue. Purchased a bottle of D&G by D&G yesterday and applied immediately in car on way to date with my better half. She was loving the spiciness of the scent and I was too. So of course I applied even more of it. Big fan. I must have used 10 sprays of it yesterday (over 8 hours or so; still that is a lot!).

I went out this morning to retrieve it from the car and I swear the spicy/oriental topnotes are missing. I put on another 6 sprays this morning (again, I know that is a lot) waiting to smell that lovely spiciness and it just wasn't coming through.

It was about 45-50 degrees last night at the coldest point of the night and it was in the car for about 10 hours.

Could I have ruined the cologne that quickly? I've heard of folks putting fragrances in the fridge for longevity, so I'm hopeful I didn't ruin the fragrance and I simply have olfactory fatigue due to having sprayed it so much in the last 20 hours or so.

Appreciate your guidance.

Vince.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brand New Fragrance left in cold car overnight - swear it smells different!

It didn't get ruined. The top notes of a cold fragrance might smell differently compared to if it's at room temperature. It's a bit like wine or whisky that have a different aroma depending on temperature.

Default Re: Brand New Fragrance left in cold car overnight - swear it smells different!

Quote Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
    Could I have ruined the cologne that quickly? I've heard of folks putting fragrances in the fridge for longevity, so I'm hopeful I didn't ruin the fragrance and I simply have olfactory fatigue due to having sprayed it so much in the last 20 hours or so.

Appreciate your guidance.

Vince.
    Can't imagine that it would be ruined during such a short period of time with those temperatures. Let a few days pass and then try it again.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
    It was about 45-50 degrees last night at the coldest point of the night and it was in the car for about 10 hours.
    not gonna hurt it

a lot of things factor into the way you smell, including time of day and even what you eat. everything's going to be ok.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

you fuggers type too fast

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Lol people put fragrances in refrigerators to help preserve and extend their shelf-life. DG By just happens to be a fragrance with bad sillage and longevity...I should know. I used to own it.

It's fine that would not alter the scent it's just your nose getting used a new fragrance. Give it time and you will get a handle on it. Enjoy the fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

During shipping when the temperature gets much colder on a cargo plane 30,000 above ground, i doubt that it would easily get ruined just by sitting outside over night.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Can't imagine that it would be ruined during such a short period of time with those temperatures. Let a few days pass and then try it again.
    agree ...

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Hawaii for 4 years and for almost a year or so I lived in a house with no central A/C and kept my bottles of cologne on my bathroom counter (I know it's bad now, but didn't then) where it was probably 80 degrees on a hot day. That was a very non-ideal scenario for storing cologne so I'm sure your bottle of D&G left over night in 40-50 degree temps made zero impact on it's health.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Yeah I tried the fragrance again today and it's just fine. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

My money's on olfactory fatigue; as you say, ten sprays in a day is a lot. Give those receptors (yours and hers) a little love--don't work 'em till they pass out. :-) That said, I'd love to know: Does refrigeration really help preserve fragrances?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the perfect place to store a bottle.