Code of Conduct

Default Antilope by Weil - Current version

A sample of the new version of Antilope was tucked inside a recent delivery of perfume, and I tried it right away. This is the scent currently sold in the red/orange box and tall bottle with a gold cap. The top notes were quite intriguing, enough to make me think about a purchase. It was identifiable as the Antilope that I have worn for over 20 years, but with some obvious modifications - softer, rounder from the beginning, whereas the original took some time to get "there". After an hour, the top had burned off, and there was ........ very little that was Antilope. There was a scent there, not too weak, quite pleasant, but it didn't have the stuff that gets an emotional grunt out of me. If it were a shampoo or body lotion it would have been fine.

Today I'm wearing the older version (white, black and gold box, bottle with black cap) in the parfum de toilette. What was so scary about Antilope that they couldn't leave it alone? Too stern, too "masculine", too grown-up? Sheesh. A little clary sage and tobacco leaf won't kill anyone. This is the last bottle from my trove. I'm wearing it today because it's "Antilope weather" by my personal calendar. The last fleeting warmth before winter, powdery gold light in the afternoons - like a stageset for this beautiful scent. I'll eke it out but use it up before it turns. Death before dishonour.

queen of the universe

Default Re: Antilope by Weil - Current version

IFRA perhaps?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quite agree on Antelope. The new is not a patch on the vintage, but this was a perfume so full of things on the IFRA list.... sigh. That is what made it so very fantastic. Animal through and through, but a tamed lioness of one, beautiful and powerful, sitting in the flowers.

queen of the universe

Considering what I've spent on vintage Weil, what's holding me back from trying these 4 (newest, Aroli) for 20 bucks on ebaby?

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, the vintage Weil I've had had turned so I've never experienced a good bottle. I can imagine that it was a gutsy chypre of the 50's-60's. Those are sadly out of style now. I for one don't think these so-called IFRA rules amount to much beyond a corporate conspiracy to dumb down the perfumes and rack up the profits on cheap ingredients.

queen of the universe

I just got vintage Zibeline, and while I identify the notes, it seems to have paled over the years. It is old-school in the fashion of vintage My Sin (I have a very true bottle of that!), tho where My Sin is lotiony, Zibeline is sharp. My Weil de Weil is very satisfactory; I had some in the 70s and a recent new bottle was true to the old version. The EDCs put out now are cheap and a joke. I have a bid on Antilope EDP and am await a parfum de toilette. I scored a mini of Chunga, interesting but not wowzers. Based on what you are telling me, kumquat, if these seem thinned out, I will save my money and stop chasing Weil.

Lastly, I found out my favorite fragrance, Mollie Parnis, long discontinued, is a Weil, launched in 1978. Quality and probably full of the IFRA contrabands (notromusks I'm pretty sure!). After many years, I found an unopened EDP and the parfum. It IS as wonderful as I remember.

I have a small trio of ancient Weils. Zibeline, Antelope and Weil. Mine are in good nick and smell like they've been kept well. Would you like a vial Kumquat? IFRA have a lot to answer for with these. The new Antelope isn't a patch on the original to my nose. I did buy a new one for a friend who had been looking for years and she was happy with it though. I was looking at the Chunga, and I'm glad you've said it wasn't a wowser because I shouldn't buy any more perfume anyway.

I have a mental block against wearing something named Chunga. It sounds like a medicament meant to be applied to ones chunga. Apologies to anyone for whom the word has a worthy meaning. You know how at home I am in the gutter.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    I have a mental block against wearing something named Chunga. It sounds like a medicament meant to be applied to ones chunga. Apologies to anyone for whom the word has a worthy meaning. You know how at home I am in the gutter.
    depends on one's frame of reference

queen of the universe

This is the style bottle I just received, 2 oz. tho not mini. In the same ballpark as vintage My Sin Eau de Lanvin. I think despite being unopened, it turned. The bottle is the same style as Chunga, which would place it in the late 70s.
    Last edited by jujy54; 15th December 2011 at 02:27 AM.

queen of the universe

And a bottle this shape in EDT is the one on its way to me. Will report back, but I think I am over my Weil Jones. I have the EDC in the tall hexagonal bottle, bought at a kiosk about two years ago, too. Any idea when each of these three date from?

ps - i will be heretical and say the hexagonal EDC smells just lovely.

I have a small vial of the the new Antelope in EdP strength that came with an on-line order and thought "why do they send me this stuff?" but a little had leaked and got on my fingers. The clouds parted, the sun shone through, angels sang. It's beautiful. Now, I like my frags rough, tough, uncompromising and strong. This isn't that. But it's a beautiful, mellow chypre that smells very oakmossy to my nose. Easy to wear, easy to love, like a friendlier Patou 1000 (which I jones for in EdP). I don't torment myself chasing and comparing modern to vintage. I'm fairly sure this was probably better in the past, but of current offerings, it's head and shoulders above most. Worth trying.

queen of the universe

hollyc, I think I will break down and order the sample vials by Aroli (current owner of the Weil name), based on your post here. If you are curious about vintage Antilope I have two bottles and would be happy to send you a 2ml decant. Just PM me your address.

julie