Code of Conduct

Default I don't know which colognes to ask for for Christmas. There are just so many colognes!

I smell this one, smells great. I smell that one, smells great.

There are only a few that I don't like. But it seems like there are so many to choose from. I dont know where to start. I'm in high school, so I'm basically only concerned on what will get the most compliments. But I am not sure. They all smell good, and I am only going to ask for five or six tops.

So I'm asking you for your opinion: which (let's say five) do you reccomend for me? Which do you think smell best, and will get the most compliments?

And yes, I know what a search box is, I just thought I'd try this out instead.

Default Re: I don't know which colognes to ask for for Christmas. There are just so many colognes!

Only five or six?

We can't choose for you, we're not wearing them. Find some favorites, if you like most of them it should be easy.

Default Re: I don't know which colognes to ask for for Christmas. There are just so many colognes!

If you can't decide on colognes, you could always ask for something else for christmas. Like video games, or firearms.

Tobacco Vanille!

Thanks buysblind.

What I was wondering was if you (PERSONALLY) could only pick five colognes to get, which would you ask for?

Sound Scents

Just see my signature below for the top 5 recommendation and see which one (if any) appeals most to you. :-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Burberry London
    Terre D'Hermes

Go to Macy's or Nordstrom's (or whatever department store). Smell a bunch, take home a few samples, make note of what you like, and why. Then return with some female friends, and get their opinion on the ones you like.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Banned

Nightflight by Joop!
    1 Million by Paco Rabanne
    Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Tous Man Sport by Tous - one is treated to a bright and zesty lemon opening, with cedrat tempering its wonderful sweetness ... this invigorating opening is lovingly ensnarled by its heart, a spicy apple, creating a pleasantly refreshing and fruity concoction ... as the citrus dissipates, the apple cider is subsumed by an awesome musky and woody base, with a glistening of green, and transforms itself into a much calmer and softer, woody drydown ... average longevity and sillage ...

i would get
    TDH
    encre noire
    a*men
    rochas man
    andddd
    dunno,

Foguere Royale
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Hunter by MCMC
    Cartier XIII hour
    Mazzolari Lui

& just for grins throw some Givenchy Vetyver in that mix
    Last edited by SoGent; 16th November 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Of course, a lot depends on the budget, but anyway, I'd go for:
    1) Lush Breath of God (in stick form it's $10) or Dirty (same). Fresh but avant-garde
    2) Dior homme, elegant iris-coffee
    3) Chanel Egoiste (the plain Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste), elegant woody. Alternatively, Antaeus, a little stronger
    4) Caron Pour un homme: lavender-vanilla, as classic as it gets
    5) Anais Anais: this is marketed to women, but it's perfect for men.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Dags View Post
    So I'm asking you for your opinion: which (let's say five) do you reccomend for me? Which do you think smell best, and will get the most compliments?
    To be blunt, your peers are most familiar with the top sellers, and will feel the most comfortable complementing you on what they recognize - whether it really works for you or not. And that's OK! Proctor & Gamble wouldn't have been able sell enough Old Spice to float a navy over the years if it didn't smell good.

Probably it would be best to have a couple of choices that seem a bit safe and not too loud - for classes and some work environments. Lighter fougeres, woody scents, and the usual fresh/marine/ozonic/sport are popular precisely because you don't want to choke out the person sitting next to you.

But for a date, somewhat formal occasion, or just winter you may end up dressing up (or heavier) and you may want something heavier and richer. Orientals and gourmands tend to do the job a bit better.

Some days you might not give a d--- what other people think about what you're wearing. Nothing else will do but something loud, trashy, tacky, cheap, obscenely expensive, wierd, or whatever, that YOU love. We can't even begin to pick that one for you.

Why no specifics? Well ... I usually hate the styles that are most popular right now. So it's hard to help out on that. And my experience (less than a lot of the folks here) is that there are some great fragrances out there that end up smelling worse than stale sweat after a few hours on my skin. On the other hand, a couple of others smell even better with some sweat and wear. We can't predict which ones will react like they shouldn't for you, so it's almost always better to sample before buying.

The top five in my rotation (guaranteed to get worn to the office) are:
    - Knize Ten (very old-fashioned oriental leather that opens like an old jerry can of petrol),
    - Bandit (a bitter green woods- and crankcase-stained leather that opens with a blast of white floral notes),
    - Centaure (a straight-up fougere featuring tobacco and mint, and the MPG house base notes),
    - Prada Infusion D'Iris (a soapy vetiver-backed iris fragrance), and
    - l'Anarchiste (orange peel, musk, cedar, musk, and on a warm day, more musk. If your image of Christmas includes palm trees and suntan, this will fit right in)

I don't recommend buying any of them, but I would recommend taking some time to read the reviews and check prices on them. That should illustrate just how hard to figure out what would work for someone just starting out when you don't want to push something they'll spend good money on and end up hating.