Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    I just had the weirdest experience buying a used Mugler Cologne. The liquid in this is as viscous and greasy as vegetable or mineral oil!!! It smells very faintly of Mugler Cologne, but it doesn't smell like alcohol at all. I'm guessing that whoever had it last topped it off with some kind of odorless oil (mineral oil is odorless) to make it a full bottle. Below is a picture that I hope captures what I mean. Just trust me though, this stuff was more viscous and greasy than Johnson's baby oil.

    I don't know how you water down a cologne properly but adding oil is definitely not it! Am I right in my suspicion or is there some other possible explanation?



    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...116155606.jpg/

  2. #2

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Another odd fact is that the oily liquid quickly pruned my hands and fingers. (Pruned meaning how your fingers get all wrinkly when you're in the water too long).

  3. #3

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Never heard of this, but it wouldn't surprise me that someone selling a used one would top up the bottle to maximize the sale price. Any chance you can return it? I personally wouldn't use something so oily that it may sit on my skin and stain my clothing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    I just had the weirdest experience buying a used Mugler Cologne. The liquid in this is as viscous and greasy as vegetable or mineral oil!!! It smells very faintly of Mugler Cologne, but it doesn't smell like alcohol at all. I'm guessing that whoever had it last topped it off with some kind of odorless oil (mineral oil is odorless) to make it a full bottle. Below is a picture that I hope captures what I mean. Just trust me though, this stuff was more viscous and greasy than Johnson's baby oil.

    I don't know how you water down a cologne properly but adding oil is definitely not it! Am I right in my suspicion or is there some other possible explanation?



    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...116155606.jpg/
    that's just plain weird - how in the world could anyone not expect to be called out on bs like that.

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bzios
    Posts
    78,069

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Hard to tell from the picture. Never heard of anyone doing this, but anything's possible. If you're not happy with it, try to return it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Getting my money back was no problem, but I just thought it was strange. I just put the bottle in the freezer to see what happens.

  7. #7

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Pretty absurd if it's true. You can either sell a partial bottle that's usable or a "full bottle" that is complete useless crap that no one would ever want. That's just insulting.

  8. #8
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    I just had the weirdest experience buying a used Mugler Cologne. The liquid in this is as viscous and greasy as vegetable or mineral oil!!! It smells very faintly of Mugler Cologne, but it doesn't smell like alcohol at all. I'm guessing that whoever had it last topped it off with some kind of odorless oil (mineral oil is odorless) to make it a full bottle. Below is a picture that I hope captures what I mean. Just trust me though, this stuff was more viscous and greasy than Johnson's baby oil.

    I don't know how you water down a cologne properly but adding oil is definitely not it! Am I right in my suspicion or is there some other possible explanation?



    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...116155606.jpg/





    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    If you search Ebay you can find some awesome stuff. All from reputable sellers.

    The big 4.1oz big bottle of Mugler Cologne for only $39.99 including shipping and tax.

    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    it's also a breeding ground for scammers and fakes

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    This risk is overstated in my opinion. With feedback and buyer protection you can avoid getting scammed.


    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  9. #9

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    I didn't buy that $39.99 new 4.1 oz Mugler Cologne (here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mugler-Colog...-/320770043546 ) Rather, I tried to save even more money by purchasing used.

    Plus, I got all of my money back in a few hours, so Ebay's system worked fine. This is the first time I've gotten a fake on Ebay, by the way, and I buy a lot on there. Actually the second time. The first time involved one of those ubiquitous Silver Mountain Water fakes that pollute the site.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,676

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?


  11. #11
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    This is the first time I've gotten a fake on Ebay, by the way, and I buy a lot on there. Actually the second time. The first time involved one of those ubiquitous Silver Mountain Water fakes that pollute the site.
    how many times do you think paypal/ebay is going to let you cry foul before they start to think the problem is you? regardless if you are getting fakes, it still looks bad on your part to continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  12. #12
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey
    it's also a breeding ground for scammers and fakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9
    This risk is overstated in my opinion.
    o'rly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9
    involved one of those ubiquitous Silver Mountain Water fakes that pollute the site.

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  13. #13

    Default Re: People using MINERAL OIL to top off their used fragrances? really?

    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    how many times do you think paypal/ebay is going to let you cry foul before they start to think the problem is you? regardless if you are getting fakes, it still looks bad on your part to continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

    That's all nonsense. First of all Ebay has no limit on the number of times you can avail yourself of buyer protection. Also, Ebay didn't have to get involved in either of my cases because the seller refunded my money as soon as I opened a case - because they knew they would lose. Plus there's the issue of negative feedback and closing of accounts. I have purchased literally hundreds of items on Ebay with no problem.

    However, you are correct re: fake silver mountain waters. They are all over Ebay. I don't know why SMW is the faker's choice, but if you see someone selling SMW with 3 feedback run.

Similar Threads

  1. What fragrances are you surprised few people like on BN ?
    By Nersh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 4th February 2013, 10:57 PM
  2. Why do people stereotype 'cheap' fragrances?
    By The_Cologneist in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 27th February 2011, 01:12 PM
  3. I like smelling fragrances on other people more than on me
    By dreamer81 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th June 2010, 08:49 AM
  4. Fragrances for the Desperate People Bars
    By DustB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd December 2006, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •