can anyone give me recs they think I'd like regarding those, if at all possible split your recs into traditional and modern interpretations of the themes
I recommend seeking out a vintage bottle of Floris No. 89. That should be a nice English traditional right up your alley.
Current Top Favorites:
1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
4) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie
6) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
Tom Ford - Neroli Portofino
That's interesting. I'm currently deciding between AdP and Eau Sauvage and favouring the latter because I find it less floral of the two. AdP's Opening is admittedly incomparable but I'm not so sure of the development. The less complex structure of the Dior seems to me, at least, to be its strength. It remains fresh and interesting throughout.
Check out Granville from Dior Collection Privee. You'll need to track down a flagship store but it's worth it, trust me. You could also look into Eau de Guerlain and Uomo from Lorenzo Villoresi. These all 'complement' AdP Colonia & Eau Sauvage as additions to a wardrobe, for me at least.
Last edited by jss; 17th November 2011 at 11:35 AM.
thank you guys, great suggestions so far! I'm going to look into all of these as I am quite close to retailers that stock them all
does anything know of anything more modern that might take this idea and move it forward ? also anything on the Bay Rum front, something clovey ?
I don't remember Bay Rum much, but Diptyque has plenty of clovey stuff, in particular L'Eau and Eau Lente.
For traditional eau de cologne, my favorite is Chanel Eau de Cologne. More long lasting, in the direction of Eau Sauvage, is l'Eau d'Hermes.
Grand Neroli by Atelier Cologne
Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree
YSL pour Homme
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet
La Martina Hombre
Hugh Parsons Yellow
Loewe para Hombre