Code of Conduct

Default Vol de Nuit: a unisex

I am reviving my love affair with Vol de Nuit.

After loving this this, I got more hooked on Miss Dior, which is a direct descendent of this Guerlain classic.

Green on the top, with a slight oriental sweetness and flowers, and a woody ending.

Magnificent!

Any men wear this?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Vol de Nuit: a unisex

I like the parfum very much.

I've sampled it, and it's on my wishlist at the moment.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

I don't, but my wife does.

The greenness of Vol de Nuit doesn't have the soapy quality almost universally appealing to men (think Vetiver and Derby) but if you can handle a greenness that is almost overwhelmingly spicy, somewhere along pungent sea air, driftwood and herbal medicine, and darkly powdery like the inside of an old mahogany closet, then Vol de Nuit is a distinguished men's scent. I'm strictly talking Vintage Parfum here. In comparison, (1) the EdT smells entirely innocent, sweet and lightly mossy, (2) the reformulated Parfum smells of something more opaque and modern, sweeter and not so intricate, at once less soft and less feral, and significantly less long-lasting.

I'm no vintage snob (to attest, I prefer new Habit Rouge to old), but there's no way around pre-00 Vol de Nuit Parfum.

You mean there are men out there who don't wear it ? Seriously It is so much a unisex , I follow my husband around when he wears it. He won't buy it but I have taken him in hand and he's wearing Vol de Nuit , Memoir for men and several others. I was so tempted today to spray him with Mystere . He is not anosmic and likes Une Rose on me but thinks 4711 is good enough ....sigh. I will be buying him Lyric for men and fill up a crystal spray with Vol de Nuit . He tends to grab that but I am peeved because the women in his office get the best of it .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    The greenness of Vol de Nuit doesn't have the soapy quality almost universally appealing to men (think Vetiver and Derby) but if you can handle a greenness that is almost overwhelmingly spicy, somewhere along pungent sea air, driftwood and herbal medicine, and darkly powdery like the inside of an old mahogany closet, then Vol de Nuit is a distinguished men's scent. I'm strictly talking Vintage Parfum here. In comparison, (1) the EdT smells entirely innocent, sweet and lightly mossy, (2) the reformulated Parfum smells of something more opaque and modern, sweeter and not so intricate, at once less soft and less feral, and significantly less long-lasting.

I'm no vintage snob (to attest, I prefer new Habit Rouge to old), but there's no way around pre-00 Vol de Nuit Parfum.
    Oh what a description...faints.

Basenotes Institution

I agree: Vol de Nuit and Miss Dior and very similar, I have some vintage MD parfum and wow it knocks me out just like VdN.

I am using my parfum very sparingly, as it's almost all gone. In the meantime I have a nice sized bottle of (discontinued) Vol de Nuit Eau de Cologne, which is great and not as powdery as the EdT.

I find it mysterious, sexy and slightly bittersweet (in smell & emotion).
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mr G:
    you seem to concur with LT, unfortunately, who reports of the deterioration of Vol de Nuit (LT/TS talk about the edt, but presumably the two could move together). I sprayed the parfum recently in a store and still like it, though I can only imagine what it could have been (the recent purchase of two vintage parfums, Diorissimo and Joy, has indeed turned me into a vintage snob).

cacio

Sadly, reformulation turns many of us into vintage snobs.

Mr. G, I adore Derby, but I like the warmth of the subtle vanilla in VdN.

Does anyone get any leather out of VdN?
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th November 2011 at 05:55 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Sadly, reformulation turns many of us into vintage snobs.
    agree ...

Sorry to disagree, Mr. G, I get much better longevity from the new Vol de Nuit extrait. It is a tad sweeter (vanilla), but the jonquil is so beautifully presented here. The spiciness is intact. I personally find the new extrait even more unisex than the vintage already was. Here, the new extrait lost the vintage vibe and for the good IMO. I am very happy with this reformulation, but it is the only one...

... darkly powdery like the inside of an old mahogany closet....
    This is the most wonderfully evocative description of the dark, vintage parfum I've come across. Perhaps an old mahogany chest that has lain unopened for a long time, quietly gathering dust in some undisturbed room. Though now empty, if you lift the lid and press your nose to the grain, it begins to recount its history in muted tones: How it had once belonged to an apothecary, and was used to store a myriad of herbs, spices and exotic medicines.

Beautiful stuff indeed (and thanks to a generous BN buddy for the very vintage sample!).

I like the plush older stuff with lots of animalic costus.

Vol de Nuit is one of the most intelligent scents, and I usually just wear it in bed when I want something with a contemplative intellectual dimension. The old edt always reminds me a lot of vintage Habit Rouge edc. Similar texture, among other things.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Smells very good on this guy...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I wear Vol de Nuit edt current formulation. Very unisex indeed. Comparing to Shalimar, Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue, I find Vol de Nuit is the most unisex!

Guest05

Sometimes the problem with comparing vintage scents with modern ones is that reformulations notwithstanding, it is impossible for a new scent to ever stand up to a scent that has aged well (provided of course it has been stored fairly well). Any formula which contains even partially natural essential oils, which Guerlain perfumes do, will smell different after they have been macerating for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by memories View Post
    You mean there are men out there who don't wear it ? Seriously It is so much a unisex , I follow my husband around when he wears it. He won't buy it but I have taken him in hand and he's wearing Vol de Nuit , Memoir for men and several others. I was so tempted today to spray him with Mystere . He is not anosmic and likes Une Rose on me but thinks 4711 is good enough ....sigh. I will be buying him Lyric for men and fill up a crystal spray with Vol de Nuit . He tends to grab that but I am peeved because the women in his office get the best of it .
    <speechless> You need to do something about this--now!

At least 4711 is a decent floor/bathroom cleaner

Dug out my Vol de Nuit EDC today, I like this one a lot - it was one of several 'older' (perhaps not exactly 'vintage') Guerlains I picked up a couple of years ago. I have tried VdN Extrait 3 or 4 times but never committed, I think maybe it's time to change that. It's such a shame that so many of these have been reworked over the years - Dmitri's description of opening a truly vintage bottle of VdN remains one of the most moving pieces of writing about this 'eighth art' I have ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    <speechless> You need to do something about this--now!
    LOL! I have he is not allowed out without a spray of my Vol de Nuit , Memoir , Amber by Three Dials or something else . I might release the 4711 when it's Summer .

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    At least 4711 is a decent floor/bathroom cleaner
    Ah there is an idea !!

I`m wearing today my sample of the pure parfum current version of vol de nuit. I was a little bit concerned about it, because i`m not a big fan of the sharp greeness found in the edt. The parfum seems perfect for me on this aspect, considering that this galbanum green bitterness last only a short time on skin. What comes next seems to me like mitsouko, with a clean mossy aroma and a discreet sweetness combination of vanilla and iris. Sometimes it gets more woodier; for some reason, my mind keeps telling me that there is a slightly connection with M7 (!). It`s something from the woody oriental aspect of m7, like it was taken from the agarwood context and put into a guerlinade context. It may be only an impression of today, but is what comes to my mind. It`s really good and cozy, perfect for winter days.

Basenotes Institution

That's interesting rickbr, I have not myself smelled 'new' parfum (I love the vintage parfum) but that note that you are describing reminds me of Habit Rouge (Eau de Parfum). Is it anything like this?

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's interesting rickbr, I have not myself smelled 'new' parfum (I love the vintage parfum) but that note that you are describing reminds me of Habit Rouge (Eau de Parfum). Is it anything like this?
    It goes in this direction Mike, altough on me the Habit Rouge EDP seems to have a huge evidence on the patchouli. On Vol de Nuit i get more of a vetiver + musk impression (i say impression, considering that i didn`t saw musk listed anywhere as a note). I wish i had tried the vintage one to compare, but i have only tried this one so far.

I was thinking that, if you remove the green topnotes, the current version of Vol de Nuit Extrait would be very close to Mitsouko Fleur de Lotus.

Haven't worn it so far, but I can truly imagine myself wearing it, as I am hooked on ALL Guerlain scents, irrespective of gender, mainly thanks to the Guerlinade note

I certainly do - I'm wearing it right now!

I have probably a late 80s/early 90s bottle of vintage parfum and I wouldn't want to wear anything less.
    The vintage parfum is rich, animalic, dense and ever so slightly floral.
    It smells of a time long gone but smelling the vintage parfum can bring it right back.
    I think Vol de Nuit is a very intelligent and sophisticated perfume for men, regardless of who the perfume markets this classic at! I have in my collection other perfumes created/made with women in mind, but I'm not one to stick to gender categories.
    It's quite simple - If I like something, I'll buy and I'll wear it!

I'm a proud owner (and wearer) of the Parfum.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

UPDATE: Since I posted this above, I have acquired a bottle of the 'new' parfum, although I must admit I haven't cut the string and opened/decanted/worn it yet. I will soon. The packaging, inner 'zebra print' box and bottle are retro-glam fabulous. Very classy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th July 2012 at 04:06 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Dependent

still haven't tried this one!

^^me either. Been on my list for a while.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I still prefer the parfum of VdN, even in warmer weather. Just a touch will last me all day.

I wear both Vol de Nuit and Miss Dior, my preference lies towards Vol de Nuit, although they are both very similar. I have never tried the vintage Vol de Nuit but I love the current extrait. And I have only ever tried the vintage Miss Dior extrait and it's the stuff I wear. Vol de Nuit seems warmer to me and speaks more to a vintage spirit I think.

Basenotes Institution

UPDATE: Since I posted this above, I have acquired a bottle of the 'new' parfum, although I must admit I haven't cut the string and opened/decanted/worn it yet. I will soon. The packaging, inner 'zebra print' box and bottle are retro-glam fabulous. Very classy.
    I finally broke into it and have been wearing it for the last month.

I got a compliment from a guy when I wore it one night out to a bar. Seriously.

Love this stuff! The parfum you only need to put a tiny bit on and it lasts and lasts.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

I finally broke into it and have been wearing it for the last month.

I got a compliment from a guy when I wore it one night out to a bar. Seriously.

Love this stuff! The parfum you only need to put a tiny bit on and it lasts and lasts.

-- Jack Kerouac

How is the current EDT? In the 93 ml refillable bottle?

Seems as though the parfum and EDC get a lot more love.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    How is the current EDT? In the 93 ml refillable bottle?

Seems as though the parfum and EDC get a lot more love.
    Too powdery. And it doesn't last too long. Not my favorite at all.

-- Jack Kerouac

Too powdery. And it doesn't last too long. Not my favorite at all.
    I sampled it and have to agree that it is short lived. The scent is nice but has me wanting to try the older formulations as I can imagine it being denser, longer lasting and a lot more going on.

The parfum version is calling my name. . . love the modern EdT, so I can only imagine how fine the parfum is. The thought of vintage bottles in circulation is too much to contemplate. The stuff of collectors' dreams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    The parfum version is calling my name. . . love the modern EdT, so I can only imagine how fine the parfum is. The thought of vintage bottles in circulation is too much to contemplate. The stuff of collectors' dreams.
    Exactly - we must both be easy to please with the EdT, so the parfum will probably blow the doors off that experience. I find the EdT more than enough. Need to dig through my samples for the parfum or EDP, because I think I may have it, and just forgot.

I agree - vintage Guerlain is a dangerous habit. Smelled some vintage LHB once, and find it safer to savor the experience, than to risk getting caught up in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Exactly - we must both be easy to please with the EdT, so the parfum will probably blow the doors off that experience. I find the EdT more than enough. Need to dig through my samples for the parfum or EDP, because I think I may have it, and just forgot.

I agree - vintage Guerlain is a dangerous habit. Smelled some vintage LHB once, and find it safer to savor the experience, than to risk getting caught up in it.
    I have to say I really enjoyed (maybe even loved) the EDT I sampled. Reading through the thread has me wondering just how much better can they make the EDP?

I also sampled some older Mitsouko, it was beautiful.

From a women's perspective find VdN very unisex and encourage men to give it a go.

The EdT is thinner and fresher, but if you like it will make life much easier than falling for vintages. The accords in each iteration is balanced differently, so it depends on what you like. I find the vintage version fuller, deeper, just altogether much more. There is an artificial quality (for lack of a better description) in the newer EdT and I found my EdC (1960's) a lasted longer. I can't comment on EdP.

Mitsouko is a favourite, the newer batches (2013 onwards) are much improved, although the vintage parfum is not too difficult to obtain.
    Last edited by Xscent; 11th December 2013 at 08:48 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Very wise. I got caught up in it and spend my days trawling for that elusive sealed bottle. I sometimes worry that I'll end up institutionalised (but smelling wonderful).

By the way, Vol de Nuit has never been made as an EdP. Maybe something about its make-up makes it unsuitable for that concentration, or maybe there just isn't the demand?

I own it, wear it and love it

I think Jicky is perhaps the most 'masculine' of the classic Guerlains, but I find them all pretty wearable by men. Mitsouko and Apres L'Ondee are particular favourites of mine.

I tried the EdT and I didn't find it very suitable for a man, it has that old lady vibe to it for a long time until late in the drydown. I found it wuite dated smelling. I'm sure the parfum is quite different though.

I'm interested to read the different opinions on modern vs vintage. It seems people like them all.

I have the modern Extrait/Parfum. It is stunning. My only criticism (as with all Parfums, Attars etc) is that I hate having to 'dab'.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Chypre Palatin
    2) APOM Pour Homme
    3) Interlude Man
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Mamluk
    6) Kouros (Vintage)
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    9) More than Words
    10) Le Male (Vintage)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    I have the modern Extrait/Parfum. It is stunning. My only criticism (as with all Parfums, Attars etc) is that I hate having to 'dab'.
    I decant mine into an atomizer & spray on. Easy solution.

-- Jack Kerouac

My favorite is the vintage extrait. I think it is simply sublime and breathtaking!