Code of Conduct

Default Maxim's pour homme, 2 vastly different versions? Bad bottles?

Are there 2 vastly different versions of Maxim's pour homme? I have 2 bottles, which look and smell different. Some of the reviews seem to confirm this. I will quote from the reviews as I'm not very good at taking scents apart.

First bottle, the one pictured on BN would be this, assuming that indole smells a bit like urine. This bottle looks legit to me, came in it's box and has a sticker underneath with all the usual information.

"To me this is an extremely animalic fragrance. I don’t at all get any fruit note of any sort in the opening: I get a smooth, deep leather and a rather strong indole note from the jasmine… And “sweet”?… in no way does anything smell sweet. The leather and indoles override everything to my nose."

The other bottle, which sports a different cap/sprayer (not original?) and white print on the bottle, not silver, which also is sloppier, cheaper looking, would be like this. This bottle simply has Bottle made in France on the bottom.

"A slightly floral, slightly powdery, somewhat sweet blend (with a hint of spice) that dances around a pile of wood.
    "A largely superfluous opening is excessively sweet, but mercifully brief."

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Maxim's pour homme, 2 vastly different versions? Bad bottles?

I have the one that is pictured and am only aware of one version, but you never know.

Uploaded some pics

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have the one that is pictured and am only aware of one version, but you never know.
    Do you get the somewhat skanky animalistic or the sweet top notes? To me they are like 2 completely different scents.

AromiErotici

I was never aware of different versions for Maxim's PH. I have had numerous bottles, but no longer have it except for factory samples.

They all smelled the same to me and I cannot say I noticed different printing on the bottles. Each bottle I previously owned had the same aroma and is one of the most masculine smelling fragrances you can ever get.

I have splash and atomiser bottles. The scent and label are identical, the top metallic embossed version. It's quite unique and very 'reassuring' to me, hard to describe really.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th November 2011 at 02:51 PM.

It's such a nice scent. I forget to wear it. I think I may use it for my SOTD!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    It's such a nice scent. I forget to wear it. I think I may use it for my SOTD!
    It really is. It's one of the few fragrances I cannot imagine a woman trying to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    It really is. It's one of the few fragrances I cannot imagine a woman trying to pull off.
    Maybe Jane Lynch could get away with it...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    maybe jane lynch could get away with it...
    lol.......

I have had about half a dozen bottles over the years, and I have never detected any difference in their performance. Of course any disparity may well be down to how the bottles were stored prior to purchase.
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

On Ebay there seem to be both versions too
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXIMS-POU...item1e63b637d5
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxims-Pou...item1c1d4e6a46

The silver print one is certainly very manly. The other one is lighter, sweeter, then dries down to quite a nice smokiness, and fairly quickly so. I think I will return it.

Mine has a sticker on the bottom of the bottle, covering up "Bottle Made in France" (that's embossed glass). That sticker says something like Parfums Maxim's, 1.7 oz, 85% alcohol, etc. Then there's a small sticker on the back of the bottle, towards the bottom, which says Gary Farn and something about US distribution and a CT address, IIRC. I really don't think there are fake issues here, but there certainly could be a reformulation issue. I'll have to wear it within the next week and reconsider my review in light of what's been said here and elsewhere. It's the white front, not the silver.

Yeah, don't think they would be fakes. The white print bottle is from a what seemed like a proper internet shop. It could be that the juice did suffer a little, the sweet top notes are not as strong or extreme as some reviewers mention (at least to me).
    It just seems odd to me that they are so completely different. If one, or both of them, had gone slightly off, would a note that is so dominant in one of them completely disappear in the other? The somewhat harsh note that dominates the silver print for a long time is simply not there at all in the sweet one. The reviews I've quoted are spot on for each bottle.

Don't get me started on reformulations that are totally different (I'm looking at you, Perry E. LOL).