Code of Conduct

Default Best scent for this occasion with this outfit?

Hi guys, new Basenoter here. Just recently dipped a toe into the fragrance rabbit hole and got sucked in with giddying alacrity. Still a bit of a newbie, though, and that's why I turn to you, o informed masses, for advice with today's quandary.

I'm going to an art gallery opening later today. Wearing a denim shirt with a dark blue slim tie and dark jeans. I'm having trouble picking out just exactly which one of the scents I have available to me would be the most optimal fit for this particular circumstance and outfit. L'Instant Extreme EdP is always tempting, but part of me feels like I should be saving that for the truly special times (it doesn't project much on me anyway so it might fit better for more intimate scenarios). Terre d'Hermes is nice but might be a little astringent for the occasion. I have He Wood Silver Wind Wood as well (doesn't show up in my wardrobe on account of not being in the database, but this is a vastly underrated scent in my opinion), and it's a strong contender.

Experienced Basenoters: if you take a look at my wardrobe, is there anything that jumps out that you think would tie the room together, so to speak? All recommendations much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best scent for this occasion with this outfit?

Any of the three scents you mentioned seem quite fairly adaptable to the occasion and outfit, hardly anything speaks against wearing about one of these, TdH and L'Instant are the most likely contenders

I would say either TdH or L'Instant Extreme EdP

Always Terre dHermes, specially the parfum.
    I wore Terre this week for a job interview, with a black jeans and a leather jacket.

Post Thanks / Like

All three sound good; I don't find TdH astringent at all. The only thing is that it seems that you want to stand out, and this is perhaps a little too common smelling to stand out.

I'd recommend that you expand your wardrobe and include something a little more avant-garde or weird.
    I saw you've tried some Lush Gorilla perfumes. One I especially recommend is Breath of God, a strange mix of fresh vetiver and smoke, plus some flowers thrown in. Abstract and magnificent.
    Or you could go for leathers, from the s&m Bandit, to the refined Knize Ten, to the cheaper but still striking Azuree by Estee Lauder.
    For something on the fresher side, CDG2 2 Man, lemony incensy, to Tom of Finland saffrony lemon.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manatee View Post
    I'm going to an art gallery opening later today. Wearing a denim shirt with a dark blue slim tie and dark jeans.
    My inclination would be either one of the Dsquared Woods or Terre de Hermes.

Depending on the style you want to project, just about anything goes with denim, especially woods, leathers, and aromatic/green scents. Then again, *I* think Knize Ten goes with just about anything

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the He Wood Silver Wind Wood ... you will be as mysterious as the art compositions you will be viewing

Thanks for your suggestions guys I did end up going with the Silver Wind Wood, and it was a massive hit. Several compliments throughout the course of the afternoon and night. Seriously one of the most underrated scents I know of... wonder when they're gonna add it to the database.