Code of Conduct

Default CdG Zagorsk vs Kyoto

I have zagorsk and I would like to try some more from the incense line. How would you compare these two fragrances? Thx

Default Re: CdG Zagorsk vs Kyoto

I seem to recall Zagorsk as being the spicier of the two. Kyoto seemed cleaner and fresher in a way (not like the fragrance family) and is my favorite in the series.

Not owning these two but having tried them, I'd opt for Kyoto.

I prefer and own Kyoto of the two, though they're both good.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Kyoto is far superior

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I personally prefer Zagorsk, but more because it reminds me of the cheaper incenses mixed with piney resins of poorer catholic churches. I don't know what orthodox churches do in Romania, but it's called Zagorsk (as in the russian city) because, supposedly, churches there mix incense with conifer resins.

Kyoto has no conifer resin note, is drier, cleaner and more austere. Avignon, which I also like a lot, is a more straightforward lithurgical incsense of a big catholic church. I have not smelled Ouarzate.

cacio

Kyoto is very nice. A surge of astringent coldness.

Ouarzazate is also very nice. Sort of dusty but sharp.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Kyoto is far superior
    If I may... I think we should try to avoid making statements like this. You've given your opinion and stated it as a fact in a thread where someone doesn't know and is asking for different view points. So let's try not to unfairly mislead people eh?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Kyoto = redwood sauna incense
    Zagorsk = Pine logs incense

also give a try to Jaisalmer and Avignon - these are also favorite incense perfumes from CDG.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    If I may...
    no you may not

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Zagorsk is possibly the coldest incense based composition i've ever tried. It's litterally freezing just like walking in a siberian forest in November. Kyoto is an incredibly minimalistic and meditative composition that's a bit aseptic while still thoroughly enjoyable and distinctive. Personally I think Avignon is the most successful of the lot but, to properly appreciate it, you've to be into gothic church-y kind of fragrances.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Funny enough, everytime I try the series again, I always come up with a different order of preference.
    While it was Avignon at first, my favourite then became Jaisalmer and now it's Quarzazate.

If I come across one of them at good prices, I wouldnt mind owning all of them as they stand as an exceptionally well executed study of incense.
    Smellin good

I agree with timaru. They are all good, and I wouldn't mind owning all of them.
    I'd pick Zagorsk before Kyoto though, but I do have a similar fragrance (Eau du Gouverneur)

I prefer Zagorsk over Kyoto and Avignon. It's the best churchy incense frag I know.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Funny enough, everytime I try the series again, I always come up with a different order of preference.
    While it was Avignon at first, my favourite then became Jaisalmer and now it's Quarzazate.

If I come across one of them at good prices, I wouldnt mind owning all of them as they stand as an exceptionally well executed study of incense.
    I agree, it's absolutely worth owning the whole series, and I think there are few other incense scents that can rival these five. But they are all somewhat cold and dry, nothing cuddly about them, so you have to like that in a scent.

Luckyscent sells them as a gift set of 50 ml, and it used to be a reasonable way of getting them all in one sweep, but I see now that the price has gone up considerably since I got my set about three years ago.

I don't like the piney smell in Zagorsk and I wanted to know if Kyoto is similar. I like Avignon but it smells like a Romanian funeral and it makes everyone uncomfortable around me. Jaisalmer doesn't last and I haven't tested Ouarzazate yet.

I tried Ouarzazate and Zagorsky.
    While they smell awesome, they dont last and project about nohing on my skin.
    Is just me?