Code of Conduct

Default Want to start wearing male fragrance, need recs-- I love Gris Clair, Iris Silver Mist, etc.

I've realized I feel a lot more "me" in unisex or male fragrances so I've decided I want to explore them in earnest, at every price range. I spend a lot of time living in wilderness, so my standards for natural notes are very high. I prefer my fragrance to be evocative of a certain weather or temperature, and I much prefer one or two main notes to a loud, cloying mix. Particularly, I like iris, cedar, birch, moss, herbs, earth, tea, pepper, saltiness, angelica, heliotrope, labdanum, myrrh, and juniper. Don't like orientals, oud, very sharp greens (galbanum), vetivier, rose, or most spices. Not opposed to leather or tobacco, but have never been moved by one and I have tried a lot. Citrus and musk are both fine.

Aside from Gris Clair and Iris Silver Mist, I like a lot of water-related fragrances (Apres L'Ondee, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, L'Eau d'Hiver). Fou d'absinthe and Mechant Loup as well. Love Mitsouko and Odin #3 Century. Thanks for your help! I will be making a trip out to Scent Bar next week, but also want to explore some stuff at Sephora or a dept store.

Banned

Default Re: Want to start wearing male fragrance, need recs-- I love Gris Clair, Iris Silver Mist, etc.

try He Wood Rocky Mountain by Dsquared2 - In the enchanting opening, one is treated to a cloud of white pepper, carrying a lovely, cool violet and refreshing, creamy lily. A strong heart with its brawny duet of cedarwood and vetiver makes one sense a wet forest, and carries off the floral accord to join its soothing base. Seguing to that drydown, a melange of warm amber, smoky incense and sensual musk overlay the woody and floral accords. This floral, incense and woody fragrance is one of the best outdoors scents, and is a very versatile fragrance. Wonderfully, the longevity and projection are both excellent.

Default Re: Want to start wearing male fragrance, need recs-- I love Gris Clair, Iris Silver Mist, etc.

Its good that you know what you like.

How about Patchouli 24?

for swap/sale:

Chopard Noble Cedar

You seem more knowledgeable than most of us already...

Some random recs.
    Virgilio (Diptyque): salty thyme, evocative of mediterranean summer .
    L'air du desert marocain (Tauer): incensy resiny. Evocative as per name.
    Eau Noire (Dior): lavender, licorice and helychrisum.
    Tom of Finland: lemony saffrony. Not evocative of Tom of Finland.
    CDG2 man: incense-lemon. Evocative of old world churches.
    Yatagan: herbs and veggies plus woods. Evocative of woods and/or veggie markets.
    and if you have Iris silver mist, I assume you've tried already the Paris exclusive SL La Myrrhe.

+1 Patchouli 24 - evocative of major California wildfires (and I do really mean I love it). And we could mention also Lonestar memories (Tauer), evocative of the Lonestar state, when cowboys prepare a grill and burn whatever there's to burn in the prairie.

Not much to report at Sephora for the boys, other than Dior homme (iris-coffee).

cacio

Dior Homme-very unisex

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Dior Homme
    Absolutely
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for these recs. Eau Noire, I tried and loved initially, but I can't even remember why because the caramel drydown was so offensive. I liked Tom of Finland, but that aldehyde+lemon blast is not something I'll ever learn to enjoy. Dior Homme was okay but a bit sweet and lacked the dissonant, slightly uncomfortable aspect that makes my favorite fragrances so interesting. I'll try it again. I do like La Myrrhe and have been enjoying my sample. The rest I will try-- particularly interested in Yatagan, Tauer, and Patch 24.

You like a lot of stuff so it won't be hard for you to find some good masculine fragrances you may enjoy...some random suggestions:

I Profumi Del Forte Versilia Platinum
    Absolue Pour Le Soir
    Carthusia 1681
    L'Homme De Coeur
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Rien
    Comme Des garcons 3
    Calamus
    Boudicca Wode

You can test all of the above at Scent Bar...

at Sephora you could try:

Gucci pour Homme I (the brown juice)
    Insenč
    Rive gauche Pour Homme
    Last edited by alfarom; 20th November 2011 at 10:08 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Insense' at Sephora? I'd rush to whatever sephora sells it ...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Insense' at Sephora? I'd rush to whatever sephora sells it ...

cacio
    Since when they re-issued, in italy it is available at both La Rinascente and Coin (together with III and Vetyver) so I thought she could find it at Sephora...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Rochas Man
    Rochas Man Intense
    Eau des Baux

Dior Homme + 2
    Dior Homme Intense + 1

Hermes Rocabar and Terre D Hermes are earthy, woody, with a little citrus. I receive compliments on them and am told that they are natural smelling. One comment about TdH was that it smelled like a nice blend of essential oils. I am an outdoors man and love to to camp, hike, fish, cycle, ski and these scents remind me ot the beauty of being outdoors and active. My suggestions above are great for fall and winter so when spring summer comes I change up to others which include Bvlgari Extreme PH at the top of the list.