Code of Conduct

Default Bond No. 9 Brooklyn: Impressions

There is one thing common to most Bond scents - their construction tends to be relatively simple and with that simplicity comes a clarity of structure. This is not always a good thing - the simplicity often fails to hide synthetic aroma-chemicals that have the texture or smell - or both! - of various body products such as inexpensive shampoos or body lotions.

With Brooklyn though, the simplicity and clarity of the structure is brilliant, and that is thanks to Laurent Le Guernec's carefully chosen ingredients, and the deft - and light - hand that he used to blend them in masterful balance.

The opening is airy, one might say ethereal, with juniper leading the charge with a diaphonous grapefruit note in the background along with a hint of cardamom that flits in and out of perceptibility. This is not a sharp opening though, and although it is very light overall there is a depth that is perceptible that keeps Brooklyn from feeling like so many other lesser 'fresh scents' that are overly chemical or piercing, as if someone had turned the treble control of a stereo way too high.

No, Brooklyn has depth and balance from the moment it hits your skin. It really does call to mind a gin and tonic, although much more than that, too. As it progresses the woods come into their own as does the soft leather note - which here smells more like a soft suede, actually - all the while surrounded by the wonderful juniper note that is never sharp or abrasive as it can sometimes be. The berry element of the juniper note is present and long lasting too, although Le Guernec keeps the berry note very very light and restrained and it sits in a higher register than much of the rest of the perfume, thus it is noticeable and yet never obtrusive.

Speaking of registers - or to step into a more musical analogy, octaves - Le Guernec's brilliant formula here exposes just how wonderful intelligent simplicity can be, and how it can do much to enhance the structure of a perfume. To continue with the musical analogy, the 'sound stage' of this perfume is very wide, and the separation between the notes is easily discernable.

Whereas some perfumes have such dense and obfuscated structures that they feel like the equivalent of a band with 2 (or 3!) bass players, Brooklyn is wonderfully tight trio of airy citrus/berries/juniper, woody guaic and cedar, both dry and yet neither scratchy or heavy, and anchoring notes of soft and deep suede and a prominent but soft and expansive white musk that manages to play an enchanting and continous bass ostinato that explores an almost dream-like atmosphere. Each of these members of the trio is operating in their own octave creating a very full olfactory experience from beginning to end.

Le Guernec's style is of a calculated simplicity and while it doesn't always work for me (ie: Astor Place, which smells nice but doesn't hide that shampoo like texture/scent, which is inexcusable for a product in this price range), when it does, it is sheer brilliance (Harrods Ltd Edition, Washington Square, etc). Brooklyn joins that list of brilliance.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 20th November 2011 at 06:54 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Bond No. 9 Brooklyn: Impressions

Thank you SculptureOfSoul for your detailed and passionate review, as a matter of fact I have Smelled yesterday coupe of Bonds and my favorites were:

- Brooklyn;
    - New Haarlem;
    - Central Park;
    - Fire Island;
    - Little Italy (I was impressed by its simplicity, it is such a pleasant bomb of citric sensations, it felt like I was just peeling a mandarine when I sprayed it, I was surprised by so many negative reviews on this one, maybe the negative reviews were based on scent's simplicity? (Who knows....)

I am yet to Sample: ( and have high hopes for)

- Gramercy Park;
    - Great Jones;
    - H.O.T Always;
    - Riverside Drive;

Blog Entries

Thanks for throwing some enlightened love on Brooklyn, SoS. I agree that it's a brilliant scent, which wasn't fully appreciated when it arrived on the scene. One of my favorite woodies.

I think the thing which says best how much I like it, is how I noticed some similarities to Terre d'Herms right away - and yet I felt that I just had to own it. And that's one of my favorite times to wear it - when I want something a bit like TdH, but fresher and lighter - almost like a cologne. It's a beautiful spring scent. Nothing like wearing this one during those days when the sun is just starting to warm things up.

Eventually this fades to a rather naked white musk on my skin and normally that would be a negative, but here it is the perfect closure to a wonderful scent.

I can see how the cedar here could call to mind TdH - it does share a similar woodiness.

The thing I love about Brooklyn is that it's one of those interesting linear scents that is never obtrusive, overbearing, or boring. It's extremely versatile, too, and while it wouldn't be my first choice for very formal occasions, it wouldn't be out of place there, either. It works splendidly on casual days, too. Usually scents sacrifice uniqueness and interesting qualities for versatility, but not so with Brooklyn.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Great review SoS! The last line below is very true. I originally struggled with Brooklyn but now enjoy it. It's always enjoyable and easy to wear without being generic.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Eventually this fades to a rather naked white musk on my skin and normally that would be a negative, but here it is the perfect closure to a wonderful scent.

I can see how the cedar here could call to mind TdH - it does share a similar woodiness.

The thing I love about Brooklyn is that it's one of those interesting linear scents that is never obtrusive, overbearing, or boring. It's extremely versatile, too, and while it wouldn't be my first choice for very formal occasions, it wouldn't be out of place there, either. It works splendidly on casual days, too. Usually scents sacrifice uniqueness and interesting qualities for versatility, but not so with Brooklyn.

Isn't it great when you stumble across a very good all-rounder? The fact that you compare Brooklyn to TdH in that regard means that I'll be sampling it, ASAP.

I get so much enjoyment out of some Bond No. 9 frags, and one in particular is the epitomy of eloquent simplicity: Eau de New York.

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I agree. EdNY is probably my next full bottle from Bond - I've lived off samples of that for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Isn't it great when you stumble across a very good all-rounder? The fact that you compare Brooklyn to TdH in that regard means that I'll be sampling it, ASAP.

I get so much enjoyment out of some Bond No. 9 frags, and one in particular is the epitomy of eloquent simplicity: Eau de New York.

Great review SoS!!! This is a fantastic fragrance.....Yes, simplicity can be a very good thing!!!
    Gary

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I just started going back through my 9 Bond samples today. This is going to have one of two affects, either I'm going to find things in them I didn't see before, or I'm going to hate the Bond house more than ever.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I just started going back through my 9 Bond samples today. This is going to have one of two affects, either I'm going to find things in them I didn't see before, or I'm going to hate the Bond house more than ever.
    Always worth going through those samples again! The Bond lineup is so big, I think almost everybody has to be able to find at least a few to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Always worth going through those samples again! The Bond lineup is so big, I think almost everybody has to be able to find at least a few to love.
    Riverside Drive was decent, Wall Street was too familiar and went funk after an hour. Cooper ■ failed miserably.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Riverside Drive was decent, Wall Street was too familiar and went funk after an hour. Cooper ■ failed miserably.
    I have bottles of Riverside Drive and Wall Street, and you're right - Wall Street goes funky in about an hour, and if you're one of the people who get that wet dog note, it's ruined. I rarely wear it - mostly just for comparisons. I did like Cooper, but it's too much of a toss-up for me. The latest ones are where it's at for me. Brooklyn is still probably my favorite Bond right now. Signature Perfume is very interesting, too, but I prefer the recent NY Amber. Have you tried any of the Harrods and Swarovski scents? They're more BNer stuff, IMO.

I hope more people try Washington Square. It's one of them weird fence-sitters in that some men find it too feminine and some women find it too masculine.

Me? I find it absolutely brilliant.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I must say that this thread has been rather enlightening. While it's always interesting to see the reviews of a scent shortly after its release, it seems very often that these are heavily influenced by the tone of the first or first few major (respected) reviewers, whether that be a veteran BNer or a respected blog. I'm sure newer members who want to be 'part of the club' are often afraid to express dissenting opinions for fear of impacting their credibility.

It seems that only a year (or most often, at least a couple of years) after a scent's release do we really get to see the majority's unbiased (or less biased, at least) take on a scent.

I hope others share their thoughts/reviews on some not-quite-new scents that they're really enjoying and we can spark up the discussion and perhaps better represent the current majority feelings towards a fragrance that maybe didn't get much love initially. I know that if people were to search up info for Brooklyn here on the forum, prior to this thread, they'd find mostly negative comments. Not that that is bad or wrong, but if there are people that really like a scent, it's good for their opinions to be available to searchers as well. If anything, more threads like this and more re-exposure to some missed goodies can perhaps lead us away from, or reduce, the endless cycle of DHI, Pure Malt, L'Instant Extreme and similar threads.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Banned

great review SOS ...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Have you tried any of the Harrods and Swarovski scents? They're more BNer stuff, IMO.
    I haven't, unfortunately.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

While it's always interesting to see the reviews of a scent shortly after its release, it seems very often that these are heavily influenced by the tone of the first or first few major (respected) reviewers, whether that be a veteran BNer or a respected blog.
    I see this happen all the time and it's quite bothersome.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

... If anything, more threads like this and more re-exposure to some missed goodies can perhaps lead us away from, or reduce, the endless cycle of DHI, Pure Malt, L'Instant Extreme and similar threads.
    Seriously, amen brother.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

If you really like Brooklyn, you should try Yves Rocher Evidence Pour Homme. They are very similar scents, sharing some key components. When I first wore Evidence, it reminded me strongly of Brooklyn, and then I checked the ingredients. Yep, I was right. I'm not right all the time, but I was in this case.

I was one of those who made some harsh comments about Brooklyn.
    Because I enjoy your reviews and respect your opinion very much, I am going to give it another few tries.
    After all Bond sent me a free 8ml sample.
    Thanks for starting this thread SoS.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

I hope more people try Washington Square. It's one of them weird fence-sitters in that some men find it too feminine and some women find it too masculine.

Me? I find it absolutely brilliant.
    *Angles Singing* YES!!
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by kpointer101 View Post
    *Angles Singing* YES!!
    So you like it now? I remember your review in the directory and I think it was negative or neutral. This one had to grow on me, too, but it didn't take long. By the second or third wearing I was craving a bottle
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    If you really like Brooklyn, you should try Yves Rocher Evidence Pour Homme. They are very similar scents, sharing some key components.
    By the way the latter being a lot less expensive also.

I must say that this thread has been rather enlightening. While it's always interesting to see the reviews of a scent shortly after its release, it seems very often that these are heavily influenced by the tone of the first or first few major (respected) reviewers, whether that be a veteran BNer or a respected blog. I'm sure newer members who want to be 'part of the club' are often afraid to express dissenting opinions for fear of impacting their credibility.

It seems that only a year (or most often, at least a couple of years) after a scent's release do we really get to see the majority's unbiased (or less biased, at least) take on a scent.

I hope others share their thoughts/reviews on some not-quite-new scents that they're really enjoying and we can spark up the discussion and perhaps better represent the current majority feelings towards a fragrance that maybe didn't get much love initially. I know that if people were to search up info for Brooklyn here on the forum, prior to this thread, they'd find mostly negative comments. Not that that is bad or wrong, but if there are people that really like a scent, it's good for their opinions to be available to searchers as well. If anything, more threads like this and more re-exposure to some missed goodies can perhaps lead us away from, or reduce, the endless cycle of DHI, Pure Malt, L'Instant Extreme and similar threads.
    Excellent post and review here for this under appreciated frag. I also feel from the many posts and reviews I've read here that there are so many frags that don't get a fair shake. Personally, I LOVE going sample hunting crazy and testing anything/everything out before reading any reviews, to give a fair and honest assessment without any outside influence. It's one of the things I love about this hobby and passion.

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    Excellent post and review here for this under appreciated frag. I also feel from the many posts and reviews I've read here that there are so many frags that don't get a fair shake. Personally, I LOVE going sample hunting crazy and testing anything/everything out before reading any reviews, to give a fair and honest assessment without any outside influence. It's one of the things I love about this hobby and passion.
    Glad you enjoyed the review. I love your approach - I wish I could do the same but curiosity always gets the best of me and I end up reading reviews first. That and, there's just so much to sample that I have to read reviews to narrow down sample orders; I could easily spend hundreds of dollars per sample order otherwise (would if I could! ).

I hope you stick around and share your opinions on scents with us killerloop. Don't be afraid to speak up against the grain, despite being new. Even if people disagree with you, I think we all enjoy hearing something different about a scent for once!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Member

How did you guys get free samples frm Bond?

I e-mailed them and they said they would send me six samples for $15... but I feel that is expensive for samples, no?

How big would the samples be?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowzxfire View Post
    How did you guys get free samples frm Bond?

I e-mailed them and they said they would send me six samples for $15... but I feel that is expensive for samples, no?

How big would the samples be?
    1.7ml, I really don't think it's a bad price...considering how much samples of niche fragrances go for on ebay and such...$2.50 a sample.

Blog Entries

So you like it now? I remember your review in the directory and I think it was negative or neutral. This one had to grow on me, too, but it didn't take long. By the second or third wearing I was craving a bottle
    My impression totally changed after repeated wearings!

Basenotes Junkie

Brooklyn is a great frag, I just have to be in the mood for it. Some days I can't get enough of it, other days it gets on my nerves. I don't know why it is like this for me. Overall, I really like it and I have more days that I want it than I don't, but there is a sharpness to it that I have to be in the mood for.

I'm not a fan of Bond in general. But when I smelled Brooklyn for the first time over a year ago (I was in my Jean Claude Ellena phase) I fell in love with Brooklyn and would have bought it immediately if it had not been that expensive. Now I'm glad, I didn't. I got a decant instead. I still like it while I don't love it and don't wear it much. I think it is a good composition, love the cardamom note in it. But it has some sharp synthetic vibe to it and does not seem to justify the price. This would make a good 80 bugs perfume imo but never ever 220 or so.