Code of Conduct

Default Aquatics in fragrance

I think I "get" the scent that makes "aquatic" in a fragrance. That is, I know when I am smelling it. However, what ingredient is giving me that "by the water" sensation? And why am I thinking "aquatic" when I smell it? Just curious to understand it better. I do like it, but I can see that it is easily "overdone" in fragrances, as I also feel that "vanilla", "sugary", "musky", and "ozone" are overdone and are often just plain boring and one dimensional. What do you think?

Default Re: Aquatics in fragrance

Usually, the ingredient described as aquatic is calone, a fresh, somewhat melony smelling molecule. I dislike it, and totally agree with you that most modern sporty (aquatic, ozonic, metallic) are unpleasant. A special offender is Light blue for men.

cacio

There are a few componenets that can be used to make the aquatic scent - Calone is certainly a popular one - others that may be involved include Ultrazur which is an accord by Givaudan that includes a secret ingredient of theirs.

Another common component is floralozone, which as the name suggests is often used to add a fresh ozonic note to perfumes while also imparting some florality. This one is particularly easy to overdose, which results in a synthetic smelling fragrance.

Another is tras-6-cis-3-Nonadienal, which has a distinct cucumber / melon fragrance.

All of these can be used to great effect in many fragrances, but like any ingredient they can also be over-used either in one fragrance resulting in something unreal smelling - or in a whole class of fragrances becoming boring and cliche. However in either case the fault lies with the perfumers not with the substance.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

After a while though this "common element" can be tedious IMO.