Code of Conduct

Default Etro Messe de Minuit Cologne Vs EDT.

Cant find any comparisons of these at all, is there much difference between the cologne and EDT versions in notes or strength?
    Dunno if I've just paid too much for a cologne on Ebay. Knowing the cost of a new bottle to be 85 I thought 58 reasonable and then, too late discovered I'd purchased the cologne and not the EDT. But, if there's little difference then no problem, so any views?

Default Re: Etro Messe de Minuit Cologne Vs EDT.

I think some Etros come in cologne strength only. Vetiver is like that. Maybe this one too?

There seems to be little info on it but I'm sure the latest version, sold at Libertys and others is an EDT strength

PS. I've got the Vetiver and I didn't even realise it was cologne - it's stronger than some EDTs so I'll be happy if the M de M is as powerful

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the old bottles of MdM were labeled as an EdC, and with their new bottle design for their fragrances, it's labeled as an EdT. From what I remember, I believe they smell identical, but I've read the current juice has been slightly reformulated.

Nsamadi is correct, the EdC is = to the edt in Etro. Some of the range used to be labelled as EdC it seems men prefer the idea of wearing a EdC rather than a edt!!!!! James from Les Senteurs once told me that though old fashioned some men think edt is only for feminine fragrances. LOL
    DONNA

Thats good then if they're the same strength and v interesting that EDT was seen as feminine. Things are changing then, even in Italy if they've scrapped the cologne moniker. What's the difference with the new reformulation then, usually a change for the worse, anyone know?

I didn't know there were EDTs for Etro - it seems unnecessary to me.

I can attest to the lasting power of Messe de Minuit EDC. It's one of my top five fragrances as well as one of my longer lasting ones.

I haven't tried the new EdT version but, I have always been very surprised that there has never been talk of Messe's re-formulation. I mean, it is easily one of the most radical re-formulations in history. Sometimes I've even considered making a thread out of it, but never bothered.

Here's the deal: I own a bottle of MdM, and an old sample. The two differ with each other completely, almost beyond recognition.

I believe the re-formulation took place with the new presentation.

Original bottle (with the round lable) that I presume holds totally a different juice to the latter bottle....

This is the one I have in full-size.

Both versions are actually very good, but the older one (for which I have that sample) is way much more compelling, after all.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 4th December 2010 at 05:53 PM.

And hey, Basenotes directory claims MdM was released in 2000. It is false information.

It was released in 1994 - then discontinued for awhile and re-released in 2002. I guess that's actually the time re-formulation took place.

http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk.../m/m3/m3p7.htm

Interesting information PigeonMurderer. Of course, the packages are different now. They're not the classic looking paisley boxes either. This happened a couple of years ago when the prices went up too (as seen on Aedes). I wonder if more reformulations occurred then.

Interesting stuff, Pigeon Murderer. I was a bit curious as to reformulation. I tried a sample several years ago that another Basenoter had sent me. I loved it and always wanted to get a bottle. It took me forever to get around to it and when I did, I got the newer bottle (with the square label). I was kind of bummed because I liked the original round label, which looked more "goth". I thought the scent smelled a bit different as well. Hard to describe the differences, but the new one seemed a bit more warm and cozy--maybe a bit sweeter, while the old one was more cold and dank. I found the old one to be more expressly masculine like a dungeon in a castle, while the new stuff smelled more like a couch cushion at the Golden Girls' house.

I like the new stuff and wear it because that's what I've got-- but I could swear the old stuff was different and better.

I'd been given the last few mls of MdM from the "round label" bottle, and now own the square label, and to my nose, the newer "square" one is far more simplistic in construction. dries down almost to a straight up cedar accord, while the older stuff is incredibly dense, rich, and myrrhe-laden (or at least that's what I think it is).
    actually rather bummed me out, this new version of the scent. while it is ok, it is by far a vastly pale facsimile of the original. score -1 for Etro on this.
    oh, and both of them are labelled EdC. go figure.

Interesting stuff! I've ended up with the square label though, never mind as the round sounds so much more interesting. I presume the EDT version came with the new packaging - the larger more solid (expensive) boxes

I am so glad I have the vintage bottle with the round label.
    And after reading this thread, I have no desire in trying the newer juice.

On a side note, does anyone know if any other (besides Vetiver) Etro's have been reformulated after the bottle/box changes?

Oh yeah. I also think they raised their prices too much too fast! That really pisses me off!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

The entire Etro line has been retouched in terms of juice character. Vetiver underwent the most noticeable change. It's become musky in the top notes and less on the herbal aspect. MdM throughout all its renditions has been in the same strength though the older ones are labeled as EdC. The new MdM juice (in the while box) has a tad less incense and the citrus is muted a bit.

So were they reformulated again with the white box? I'll now have to check up on the label of my vetiver! Was the older version better?
    Can't believe I just idly put a bid on Ebay for another bottle of MdM for 35 not expecting to get it and I did! Suppose it proves I did pay too much for the first. Anyway, I've got enough to last a lifetime now, shame it's the reformulation!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    So were they reformulated again with the white box? I'll now have to check up on the label of my vetiver! Was the older version better?
    Can't believe I just idly put a bid on Ebay for another bottle of MdM for 35 not expecting to get it and I did! Suppose it proves I did pay too much for the first. Anyway, I've got enough to last a lifetime now, shame it's the reformulation!
    The WHOLE line was *retouched* when they released the white packaging. The older vetiver is very herbal, whereas the new one is softer and musky. I prefer the new one, though at times I feel the musk in it is too synthetic.
    MdM hasn't changed to an alarming degree. Still quite the same but more polite. It's not like you have a new fragrance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I am so glad I have the vintage bottle with the round label.
    And after reading this thread, I have no desire in trying the newer juice.
    You are definitely lucky to own that vintage bottle, but still I think you might want to try that new formulation as well if you ever pumped into it. It is very nice scent in it's own perspective, and fairly unique as well.

I got my sample of (vintage) MdM years ago, went back and forth with it wondering if I really liked it or not. Finally I ordered a bottle, and was eventually shocked : The juice was complely different to the one in the sample. Completely different. I still have a bit left in my sample; made a side by side test once again this evening with the one I have, and really, the truth is they are two absolutely different scents.

Original MdM with the round label : Very rich yet also sort of linear scent that is very long lasting and holds a great sillage as well. It is mainly a story of myrrh and incense. Honey and vanilla gives some balacing sweetnes to it. The smell reminds me of a wash room of Finnish sauna in some old wooden house or cabin. It's the combination between very old wood and crisp towels with laundry detergent smell to them. It also reminds me of the way classrooms used to smell in the school I went to when I was a small boy. The school was a very old wooden house with a strong smell to it.
    Also, it smells alot like one deserted house I use to visit as a small boy...

Re-formulated version with the square label : Very fresh and aromatic orange/spice opening is very enjoyable. It smells like a fresh spicy orange pomander. It then (too) soon dries down for a subtle high quality incense with traces of patchouly and spice. It also has a certain kind of acidy quality to it. Much much more subtle a blend than the original, and unfortunetely not as long lasting either.

Like I said before, I have never tried the new EdT version, but I was kinda hoping it would've been a somewhat return towards original.
    But for what I've heard, it is not, but just a slight change to that first re-formulation.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 5th December 2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Just wish that I was able to talk in my own language

Thumbs up Re: Etro Messe de Minuit Cologne Vs EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    You are definitely lucky to own that vintage bottle, but still I think you might want to try that new formulation as well if you ever pumped into it. It is very nice scent in it's own perspective, and fairly unique as well.

I got my sample of (vintage) MdM years ago, went back and forth with it wondering if I really liked it or not. Finally I ordered a bottle, and was eventually shocked : The juice was complely different to the one in the sample. Completely different. I still have a bit left in my sample; made a side by side test once again this evening with the one I have, and really, the truth is they are two absolutely different scents.

Original MdM with the round label : Very rich yet also sort of linear scent that is very long lasting and holds a great sillage as well. It is mainly a story of myrrh and incense. Honey and vanilla gives some balacing sweetnes to it. The smell reminds me of a wash room of Finnish sauna in some old wooden house or cabin. It's the combination between very old wood and crisp towels with laundry detergent smell to them. It also reminds me of the way classrooms used to smell in the school I went to when I was a small boy. The school was a very old wooden house with a strong smell to it.
    Also, it smells alot like one deserted house I use to visit as a small boy...

Re-formulated version with the square label : Very fresh and aromatic orange/spice opening is very enjoyable. It smells like a fresh spicy orange pomander. It then (too) soon dries down for a subtle high quality incense with traces of patchouly and spice. It also has a certain kind of acidy quality to it. Much much more subtle a blend than the original, and unfortunetely not as long lasting either.

Like I said before, I have never tried the new EdT version, but I was kinda hoping it would've been a somewhat return towards original.
    But for what I've heard, it is not, but just a slight change to that first re-formulation.
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will try it when I order samples again.
    And that was quite the evocative mini review. I enjoyed reading it.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Great review. Wearing it now and it is a great scent even the 2nd version, though as PM says it stays close to the skin. Reminds me a little of their patchoulli scent in its intensity or a toned down Sables. The wooden sauna is exactly right. I'd love to try the older one now, shame I cant swap one of the square bottles for a round one!

Great review....
    Gee thanks, but...

...The wooden sauna is exactly right...
    ...this was referring to that vintage formulation. I don't think the new formulation (square label) smells like wooden sauna in any way. And I should basically know, since I visit one 3 times per week.

Dorian G, just keep your eyes open and if you see the bottle of MdM with that original round label, snatch it immediately. So will I.

I must have a good imagination! I def get the wooden sauna vibe. Maybe the saunas smell differently over here! Just read your review on the MdM page and you gave it a negative - have you changed your mind? I'll def keep my eyes open for the old 'un cheers

...Maybe the saunas smell differently over here!
    You better believe it!

Just read your review on the MdM page and you gave it a negative - have you changed your mind?
    I admit there's been a change of heart after that review. That happens, even after few samplings/wearings

Yes, our saunas are probably a little dank and musty from underuse. Glad you like it now

Basenotes Institution

I always wanted to know the difference in how to tell the vintage Etro bottles from the new - this thread has helped immensely!

If your one of those people who have all of a sudden just heard about MdM and are expecting something gothic and haunting and are like what is this? After trying and thinking the edt version was not gothic or haunting at all. Well you need to understand the history of this scent having this hardcore mildew and mustiness of crypts and castles came from the original formulation edc in the green paisley box and round label gold cap, and not the edt. The round label MdM edc was like real pure damp mildew with incense residue no question. I mean the real thing, pure mildew, dry rot and incense in a bottle. The many reformulations of this scent were not subtle at all, they were almost a new scent entirely, one of the biggest in reformulations in perfumery. The first reformulation edc in the red paisley box gold cap was very different from the original scent. It was missing all the mildew and was more of a slight dusty incense with a sweet smoke note and candle wax was type of scent, some also get old wood and the resins and smoke note from the wood being under the heat of the sun. Still very good and unusual even with the reformulation. The scent was reformulated yet again with white packaging and now an edt it smells entirely different again from the previous two. It is a sweet orange/tangerine scent that holds no similarities at all with the other two. It does hold a subtle liturgical quality to it with very subtle incense in the back ground, but gone are all the qualities of the original two versions, the smoke, the pure mildew, dusty incense, dampness, candle wax, yellowed moldy pages of old books, all gone! Some say the edt has an orange pomander type of scent. So if you are a johnny come lately to this scent and expect something based on all the reviews based around castle walls, deep musty crypts and priests censors wafting incense smoke well keep in mind these qualities and early reviews of MdM were based on the original formulation edc and the first reformulation edc. The edt smells nothing like the first two versions, and the first version smells nothing like the second. But the one that is pure dry rot, deep mildew and the smell of old books and musty yellowed pages is only in the round label version that was the original formulation, I when I say mildew it is full on in this. The second version of MdM edc is also a keeper which many held high for it's haunting subtleness of incense smoke and candle wax and the one I really like. But if your looking for this in the edt your going to be disappointed. Also MdM scent is more of a is Greek Orthodox Midnight mass not Catholic. The decants being sold on theperfumedcourt called vintage is actually the red paisley box edc first reformulation, I asked them and this is what they told me, so not the original formulation but first reformulation. You will be hard pressed to find the original vintage round label edc mildew monster, next to impossible these days.

thanks for chiming in again FlorrieDugger....
    Your input a while ago on another MdM thread got me into gear & i scored a bottle of the 2nd incarnation ....
    "truly wonderful" & it has become my number 1 , astounding sillage & longevity & one day i may be lucky to sample some of the original .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I've got that first reformulation and it's just right for me. It's not as dirty/earthy as Cumming, but it's not as sweet/vanillic as Cumming either, or at least the sweetness is well balanced for the notes it possesses. I value my bottle of it much more than I would a bottle of Patou Pour Homme or anything else I've ever sampled, though vintage Red for Men by GBH is close (I can still get that at reasonable prices sometimes so it's hard to compare). If prices for this one went to a few hundred dollars, I don't know that I would sell it !

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    thanks for chiming in again FlorrieDugger....
    Your input a while ago on another MdM thread got me into gear & i scored a bottle of the 2nd incarnation ....
    "truly wonderful" & it has become my number 1 , astounding sillage & longevity & one day i may be lucky to sample some of the original .
    Glad you really like it too and were able to get a bottle, as this too is not that easy to come by these days. The original round label is pretty near impossible to find now, so if you see one, buy it asap! I would love to hear your thoughts if you do find one.

One fragrance I would also recommend is L'artisans L'Humeur A Rien that translates as spiritual mood from their mood swings collection, it was 5 15ml bottles and L'Humeur A Rien was one of the scents in this collection. L'Humeur A Rien is what many say is the closest thing out there that is comparable to the original round label formulation of MdM. I have a bottle of it and I would say it is not really the same but it is similar that it has a damp mildew note to it that makes up a majority of the fragrance, but it is imo more of the scent of the rotted dampnesss of the interior of a decayng old church i.e. pews with accumulated incense and gummy resins in decay, you can smell all the resins and liturgical church incenses that have accumulated into the damp wood and pews of the church over the years and this is really just that, an incredible and unusual scent where it has no generic scent of any perfume detectable anywhere in it but just the strange scent of the interior of an old decaying rotted church. Where as round label MdM is about 90% real pure deep mildew and mustiness you get from cellars and stone basements and the rest is just a subtle bit of church incense. Imagine you had a large old stone that you pulled deep from the ground and turned it over and burned incense over it and the smoke residue that settled on the stone would be the scent you get like that of the original formulation of MdM. Some people have said original round label MdM could be like the storage cellar in the basement of an old cathedral where they keep the priests censors, and the incense residue and the smell burned off incense char had absorbed into the mildew stones of the church cellar walls of this room, that scent would be Original MdM. L'Humeur A Rien has been discontinued but you will see it the odd time on ebay. It is up there with the original and the first reformulation of MdM so it is one I would highly recommend. I really think you would love it if you love the red paisley box version of MdM.
    Last edited by FlorrieDugger; 21st November 2011 at 11:23 PM.

I would love to hear some other opinions or comments from basenotes members who have tried or own the original formulation of round label MdM.
    Last edited by FlorrieDugger; 22nd November 2011 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I've got that first reformulation and it's just right for me. It's not as dirty/earthy as Cumming, but it's not as sweet/vanillic as Cumming either, or at least the sweetness is well balanced for the notes it possesses. I value my bottle of it much more than I would a bottle of Patou Pour Homme or anything else I've ever sampled, though vintage Red for Men by GBH is close (I can still get that at reasonable prices sometimes so it's hard to compare). If prices for this one went to a few hundred dollars, I don't know that I would sell it !
    It's getting harder to find the first edc reformulation also now, so hang on to it. You do see it on ebay from time to time, but you really have to look for it as it goes pretty quick. I would say never sell it. Truly a beautifully strange and unusual masterpiece that imo only those who really love it are worthy of owning it, glad it can't be just bought on a whim and owned by the masses. Of course you can get the edt version still, but that really is not true MdM, but some may still like it, but definitely not at all sublime or haunting and strange as the first two.
    Last edited by FlorrieDugger; 22nd November 2011 at 12:05 AM.