Code of Conduct

Cool How Sex Killed a Fragrance

OK, now that I've got your attention, I'd like to share a few thoughts about Cuir D'Oranger by Miller Harris.

Moreover I'd REALLY like to hear your thoughts on this increasingly difficult to find fragrance.

(And if you're not familiar with this one, do yourself a favor and please check out the reviews!)

Here in BN it's classed as "Unisex" However if you Google it you'll find that it's being marketed a a feminine scent; which IMHO is responsible for its demise. Shame.

I believe that if it had been marketed as a masculine and manufactured in the 1980's it could easily have qualified as a " Powerhouse Scent."

Granted, women can get away with wearing ANYTHING, including Vintage Tabarome.
    But how many women do you think would have bought blind a " Woman's Perfume. " at their friendly mall, taken it home and rejoiced if it smelled exactly like:

1.The aforementioned V.T.
    2. Tuscany/Etruscan
    3. Grey Flannel
    4. Azzaro
    5. Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger

?

Now, if they were members of BN, known that these were 'masculine frags', and tried any of the above as an experiment--they might easily have loved them!

But not for the majority at the mall looking for a feminine scent.

It's probably too late to save this fragrance from oblivion.
    Still, if Old Spice- which came out in 1937 as a woman's scent--bombed, and was repackaged the next year as a man's frag and became a hit can do it?
    Perhaps?

*sigh*

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: How Sex Killed a Fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Still, if Old Spice- which came out in 1937 as a woman's scent--bombed, and was repackaged the next year as a man's frag and became a hit can do it?
    Perhaps?
    Very true. One never knows.

Sur la Plage

It is an excellent fragrance. I love the orange and birch tar together - it's quite a sexy beast.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

So if you had to choose between either Cuir d'Oranger (2005) or Cuir Mauresque (1996) as your travel scent for your Virgin Galactic sub-orbital spaceflight, which scent would you pick?
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

I guess, in this case, gender-based (or even gender-biased) denomination killed a fragrance

And I also think, in my humble opinion, that women wearing blatantly powerhouse-style masculine can pull it off with ease, as it has a certain something