Code of Conduct

Default Why do I smell like the bottom of a rabbits cage with most perfume ????

Hi everyone, I am so glad I stumbled upon this site. I have had a problem for 30 years and have never found a perfume that doesn't go rancid on me within 10 mins. Is it the chemicals in my skin that do this?. This is no joke, I smell beautiful scents emanating from women, my friends, everyone. When I ask them which perfume they are using, I go out and try it, but on me it stinks awful. I have been using essential oil mixes with jojoba oil, mainly things citrus like lemongrass etc as this seems to be ok. I would be so ecstatic to find a perfume that smells nice on me. Help, anyone, any suggestions, I am desperate. I haven't worn perfume for years because of this, and I am so envious of other women smelling so nice : (

Great full for any advice from you experts.

Shelltilly1

Default Re: Why do I smell like the bottom of a rabbits cage with most perfume ????

My skin tends to devour fragrances rather quickly, so i began using stronger fragrances. I don't know which ones you have already tried, but cheap ones are usually cheap for a reason. You might try one of the classic Guerlains like Mitsouko or Chamade or Cuir de Russie by Chanel. I know these are expensive, but you can get samples from the Perfumed Court and see if they fit you. Good luck and welcome.

Default Re: Why do I smell like the bottom of a rabbits cage with most perfume ????

Welcome to Basenotes. Sorry you're having that issue

I am not sure what it is but I would try spraying on my shirt or some other piece of clothing. It should solve that problem and also make the fragrance last much longer as well.

Blog Entries

lf oil-based perfumes work for you, have you tried looking for perfume oils online? Ayala Moriel makes some beautiful ones, as do many other "natural" perfumers. Off the top of my head, others l can think of are Bruno Acampora, Sage, & Roxana Illuminated Perfumes.

Good luck, & welcome to basenotes!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Everybody's skin reacts different to fragrances. I'd keep experimenting with different classes of scents to find the one that works best for you. Try as has been mentioned to stick to the better quality stuff out there. You'll hit on something you like.

shelltilly:

I second futami's suggestion of spraying clothes. The perfume will not be affected by the skin and it will last a long time, though it will project less, and will force you to wear the same perfume whenever you are using the dress until you wash the dress.

Perfumes going rancid is a little strange - they may evaporate fast, but go rancid... Make sure the problem is not with the skin itself - sometimes digestion produces bad odor (for instance if one eats garlic). A perfume would simply try to cover the underlying odor.

Other than that, as others have said, try different types of perfumes, especially stronger ones, to see if anything goes. Ohter examples would include Bandit (green leather), Estee Lauder Azuree (citrus leather), Angel.

cacio

Thank you for your suggestions, I have tried Estee Lauder and Channel, I always try and have bought expensive perfume. I do cook with garlic though quite a lot !! interesting theory there !! but this happened when I was 15 years old and garlic was not available in our Village or Town then, so I don\t think its' that. I have heard that skin has different acids and sometimes they react with other chemicals, hence I always use natural products were I can. I would be interested to know any other theories or which base note I should be looking for in a perfume ??? that won't react.

Shelltilly

Garlic can often affect not only the breath, but the skin odor. Certain other strong spices or meats too. As usual, whether and how much depends on the person.

I don't think there's any theory on who should wear what. I remember reading about a company marketing a spray that was supposed to tell the type of skin and thus what fit the particular type - I don't remember the company though, nor have I heard about it recently. I'm probably assuming it was just a gimmick, but who knows.

cacio

Wow I am sorry you have this issue. I now feel lucky I can wear perfume. The only time something similar happened to me is when I wore Pink Sugar. I would spray it on and it would turn and wouldn't smell like cotton candy on me although it smells like cotton candy on others. However it didn't smell rancid on me.

Hmm. Do you literally smell like the bottom of a rabbit cage because when I read that I immediately thought of ISO E super. It is some molecule in perfumes that some describe as smelling of the woowd chips in the bottom of a hamster cage.

have you gone to either someone like a dermatologist (take surface samples to see if you have a bacteria or off pH balance, etc), or maybe a fragrance expert who can determine your skin 'type', etc.

by the way, I'm assuming that it's truly your skin. Ie do OTHERS say the same thing about your smell, or could it just be your nose/brain connection? (the latter's more common).
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

If you can stretch the budget try some different niche and natural fragrances. Estee Lauder and Channel are nice but neither is of the highest quality.
    Or, what about oils like middle eastern oil blends? Some of these smell lovely too.

Oh, and as for the why? No idea. Have you been to a skin doctor? Maybe they can explain it.

My skin's chemistry tends to magnify pepper notes in scents; maybe your skin cranks up the volume on cedar? Sampling scents that don't list cedar as one of the major notes might help you find that fragrance that will smell better on you than on anyone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    My skin tends to devour fragrances rather quickly, so i began using stronger fragrances. I don't know which ones you have already tried, but cheap ones are usually cheap for a reason. You might try one of the classic Guerlains like Mitsouko or Chamade or Cuir de Russie by Chanel. I know these are expensive, but you can get samples from the Perfumed Court and see if they fit you. Good luck and welcome.
    Good advice here. Most of the dept store perfumes are not very good. I struggled with that for years. The reason is that they are made with the cheapest kind of alcohol. (see my post under Buying perfume in Paris Thread) Get some samples, there are lots of sources; Lucky Scent is a good place to start, and find something that smells good on your skin, after at least an hour drying time. Testing on paper doesn't tell you much.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The question I have is: do others smell you as you smell yourself to be? Has anyone else commented that fragrances you wear smell awful on you (as they do to you)?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

If through a process of enquiry you realise that others don't smell you as you smell yourself then at least you know you are actually smelling ok to others. As we all know, much of the pleasure of scent is that we can smell the fragrances we wear. You mention that perfume oils seem to work for you. I get many of my perfume oils from perfume-parlour.co.uk. they are incredibly reasonable and the oils are fantastic, sometimes better than the high street perfumes they are mimicking. It might be interesting to purchase some of their fragrance oils and compare them to the actual branded bottled fragrances you own side by side. If the oils smell good all the way and the bottled fragrance does not then stick to perfume oils. There is a huge range of perfume oil smell alikes and many of them are fantastic and at a fraction of the price of a branded product. You can experiment to you hearts content. If you fancy trying niche fragrances then les Senteurs do a testing service and again they are uk based. If you visit the shop the testers are free if you have them delivered they cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes. Sorry you're having that issue

I am not sure what it is but I would try spraying on my shirt or some other piece of clothing. It should solve that problem and also make the fragrance last much longer as well.
    This is the answer.

There is a disorder involving amino acid breakdown. I forgot the name of it, but it's something to look into. Spray on a handkerchief or on clothes and see what happens, as others have said.

Blog Entries

I remember reading about a man who complained of a persistent bad odor. His doctor checked him over and finally found his ring was filthy dirty and stank with all the bacteria that had collected there. All he needed was some jewelry cleaner!

Thank you all for your input here. I only have Department store perfume shops were I live, maybe I need to dig deeper. I did go and try some today and" Angel" was really good and smells nice on me, thank you. I will investigate every thread and follow up any others mentioned too.
    I would like to tell you I formulate facial serums and creams, also eczema creams and have had them passed by a chartered chemist and have safety assessment's for them and comply with the European standards, I sell them on my website. I love formulating and hope one day to formulate my own mineral makeup and perfume. Everything takes time and lots of research so it will be a long and interesting journey !!!

Shell

@Futami Thats a great idea. I do this with a few 'mistake' perfumes that really don't mix with my skin.

I think the spray-on-clothes suggestion is good.

And to the OP, perhaps you shouldn't have been so detailed as to specify your scent as the bottom of a rabbits cage. I find it to be, quite honestly, a turn off.