Code of Conduct

Default Quorum with Oakmoss (before regulation)

What does the box look like? Is it the one with the horizontal zig-zag pattern?
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Default Re: Quorum with Oakmoss (before regulation)

The original Quorum has a box like the one below - zig-zag pattern but more importantly - symmetrical with the gold bar extending across the front of the box:

The later one had a zig-zag pattern but wasn't symmetrical:

The latest is completely different - see below:

Many lovers of this great fragrance believe that the middle version is the poorest in terms of blending and longevity.

Wow, that was quick, and accurate. Thank you.

I've tried the most recent version and didn't seem to get that mossy feel that I can now identify (since I've obtained true Z-14).
    The new version of quorum seems very acidic and lacks that thickness I wish it had.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

double post
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 23rd November 2011 at 12:24 PM.

I know what you mean - all 3 versions are clearly Quorum and smell superficially the same but the original has an extra dimension and I think you've nailed it - the newer versions lack 'thickness' - they've not got the density and depth of the original. I've still got a small amount of my original late '80s splash bottle (carefully stored in its box) and it's clearly more powerful and rich than the newer versions (which I also own). Keep checking ebay and searching around - there's still a few original bottles keep appearing...!

Basenotes Institution

I have been looking for a vintage bottle of Quorum for a long time, I still haven't found one, but I am not giving up hope. I didn't know the detail about the symmetrical gold bar so thanks for posting that Derbyman.

I used to wear this as a teen so I'm looking forward to encountering it again many years later.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The Quorum I bought a few months ago (bottom photo above) has a lot of oakmoss in it. Not all fragrances have seen the oakmoss depleted, and there are all kinds of things other than a lack of oakmoss that are responsible for fragrances not smelling as good as they once did. The new Quorum I bought smells excellent. Maybe it's a little harder and cheaper but no big deal. It's still rich and long lasting and performs well all around.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd November 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Dependent

I don't like birch tar so Quorum's not my thing, but I experienced a similar green, almost chalky resinous "thickness" in vintage (2nd formulation) Yatagan, while the new stuff is more "slender" celery. It's got to be the additional oakmoss, and I love it.

Vintage Quorum is the kind of scent that feels utterly dirty when applied. I prefer its toned down version, which gets lots of compliments, BTW.

I think a lot of people aren't really commenting on vintage Quorum, meaning what was marketed at first. I have a really old bottle (200 ml splash, with old paper label on the bottom), and it blows the doors off the new one (I didn't get a box with it so I don't know second from third reformulations, if that in fact is the case). It has what I call multi-dimensionality, like the original Red for Men by GBH, and that includes a great "fresh" quality that is so natural and rounded it really surprised me.

I always said I'd never be one of those people ranting on about reformations, lecturing people on buses about "pale shadow of it's former self."

I mean, if you don't like it, there's plenty more out there by other manufacturers. . .

But then I bought the new version of Quorum having sampled what, on reflection, turned out to be the vintage. (How vintage, I don't know.) The new seems thin, less interesting and, after an hour, turns meekly into a rather pleasant skin scent. Argh! It was enough to push me over the edge.

Same thing happened to me, but with Red for Men by GBH (I thought my sample was of the new one). Of course, some people can't tell the difference, no matter how large it is. And it may be that there is only a tiny difference, so hardly anyone knows or cares. The reason why it's so important to me is that I really like several of these frags (Lagerfeld Cologne, Nicole Miller for Men, Quorum, Oscar Pour Lui, etc.), but only in the vintage formulation. Imagine ordering a bottle of L'AdDM and getting what smells like Carven Homme in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I always said I'd never be one of those people ranting on about reformations, lecturing people on buses about "pale shadow of it's former self."

I mean, if you don't like it, there's plenty more out there by other manufacturers. . .

But then I bought the new version of Quorum having sampled what, on reflection, turned out to be the vintage. (How vintage, I don't know.) The new seems thin, less interesting and, after an hour, turns meekly into a rather pleasant skin scent. Argh! It was enough to push me over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think a lot of people aren't really commenting on vintage Quorum, meaning what was marketed at first. I have a really old bottle (200 ml splash, with old paper label on the bottom), and it blows the doors off the new one.
    I had a 100ml splash bottle bought for me as a birthday present around 1986. It has always been stored in its original box and I would guess it's in pretty good condition for its age. I also have a spray bottle and a small sample bottle (both boxed) of roughly the same age which, when sampled side by side, all smell exactly the same making me think that no significant deterioration has taken place. When sampled along side the newer versions the difference in power, depth and complexity is immediately apparent. That's not to say that the newer versions aren't any good. It's just that having smelled the original so many times the shortcomings of the newer versions are glaringly obvious. I agree with Pollux, though. If you want the great Quorum smell without the 'in your face', down and dirty attitude of the original then get the newest version - it's Quorum post-rehab & anger management counselling.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    ...it's Quorum post-rehab & anger management counselling.....!!
    Same feeling here among many of the classic 80's powerbombs. I wore the reformulated version of Antaeus the other day: yes, it seems like a tamed version of the vintage version.

I remember being absolutely paranoid when I wore the original one, I always had the feeling I would be ending up smelling like a slut if uncareful upon application. Sorry, I know I will be hitting some nerves, but IMHO, too much sillage and longevity is beyond my tastes.

I remember when the original was so popular and it seemed like everybody owned a bottle. I simply never took a liking to it and never
    owned it, but had to endure my brother wearing it on a frequent basis.
    Last edited by hednic; 26th November 2011 at 07:39 AM.

I scored a vintage bottle today (the first version made)! Can't wait till it arrives. It is 95% full.
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 23rd December 2011 at 01:50 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Bigsly -

I couldn't agree more...I just got a bottle of Original Vintage Quorum after shying away from this scent for a long time. I knew it in high school and preferred other scents. My friend's father gifted him a half-full bottle of this older juice and I remember its power. I connected more with Drakkar Noir (and so did the girls back then) as well as Original Obsession for Men and Original Eternity from Calvin Klein, as well as my dear Vintage Paco Rabanne. Now, after hitting 40, I decided to revisit the juice. The current, while green and decent...lacked power and depth that I remembered. The purist I am (as you know), I sought out an Original Vintage bottle exactly as the top picture in Derbyman's great post!) and concur with your sentiments here and Derbyman's. I love the slightly dirty/earthy vibe found in Vintage. The rich Oakmoss, heavier tobacco and deep leather adds so much to the juice. One could buy both and enjoy both - similar, but a remarkable difference in power, richness and the natural feeling of Vintage (great adjective used by Bigsly, "multi-dimensionality"...so, borrowing here. It took me time, but now I feel I can wear this juice and it won't wear me! I've been contemplating for years, but couldn't find an Original Vintage bottle for a fair price.

I put Quorum (Original Vintage) on and it just feels and smells amazing. It settles down after 30-45 minutes into a wonderful scent, although the opening is strong and muscular...it is not abrasive or rude. Really enjoying the development on skin - warm, smooth, tobacco, oakmoss, wood and leather. All of this warmed by amber. I think what I like about Quorum is that it gets darker and deeper. Not another green forest scent that doesn't enter the "shadows" - it welcomes them and the earthiness. However, there are the nice brilliant rays of sunlight coming in. Something to admire - not one I would wear often, but it holds a place in my collection now.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think a lot of people aren't really commenting on vintage Quorum, meaning what was marketed at first. I have a really old bottle (200 ml splash, with old paper label on the bottom), and it blows the doors off the new one (I didn't get a box with it so I don't know second from third reformulations, if that in fact is the case). It has what I call multi-dimensionality, like the original Red for Men by GBH, and that includes a great "fresh" quality that is so natural and rounded it really surprised me.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus

double post
    Last edited by ericrico; 18th January 2014 at 02:23 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I have the latest version, and like it alot. Just wish the longevity was a bit better. Only a few hours, it seems, and I expect more from a "powerhouse" frag.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I found 2 bottles that look like the second picture (first reformulation I presume?) if I'm not wrong for about 8$ a piece, still not sure if I'll get it yet because I want the original formulation