Code of Conduct

Default If I like Tuscan Leather will I enjoy Knize Ten?

Hey guys,

So I'm a huge TL fan, mostly because of the powerful leather opening it provides, and only wish that the leather would remain throughout the entire lifespan of the fragrance (I still love it though). I know there are other leather frags out there, and I currently have a 25 ml split of Dior Leather Oud coming from Heperd, but I think I need one more leather frag to finish my collection.... for now.

I want something that screams leather, something with a similar type of leather note to TL, but with different accompanying notes, and it seems like Knize Ten is my best bet.

My only problem is that I see TL as a modern, almost futuristic leather scent, and that's what I really like about it. Given the age of Knize Ten, does it give off a very old fashioned smell, or does it hold it's own against fragrances created recent years.

Will I be happy with it? And finally... where the heck can I get it? Is anyone doing a split of it right now???

P.S. I love Burberry London's topnotes, but strongly dislike the basenotes, which I feel are comprised of a very stinky, sweet, unrecognizeable type of leather..... Just thought I'd throw that extra tidbit in.

Default Re: If I like Tuscan Leather will I enjoy Knize Ten?

Knize Ten is good but Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque does it better. Sweet, dirty, oily leather as opposed to TLs expensive, clean leather jacket feel.
    K10 seems to only be available on Luckyscent or European websites.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Knize Ten is good but Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque does it better. Sweet, dirty, oily leather as opposed to TLs expensive, clean leather jacket feel.

Appreciate the input good sir.

But is it 2x the price better?
    Also, I know I'm a fan of the clean leather vibe, but maybe not so much the dirty oily leather. What would you classify K10 as?

K10 is dirty oily to me. I would not pay twice as much for CM unless you really love it. I just traded off my knize 10 but i will send you a sample of CM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

K10 is dirty oily to me. I would not pay twice as much for CM unless you really love it. I just traded off my knize 10 but i will send you a sample of CM. It is dirty oily and fruity sweet at the same time.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I love Knize Ten though it took a couple wears for me to really warm up to it. Much rougher and tougher than TL, which to me is not a bad thing, most authentic, in your face leather I have tried so far. I also like the buttery rum dry down though it is less leathery. I have had complements on this one. It does not seem old fashioned to me, also not metrosexual like TL (which I also like). I also like CM, though it is much more expensive. Of the three, K10 is my favorite as a leather, also much more reasonably priced, in no way inferior to the other two. It's really a question of taste.

There is a local (to me) pharmacy, specializing in very hard to get scents, that carries a full Knize line, including soaps and candles, K10 Golden Era, and other Knize scents. They are going to be my supplier in the future. I have a vague feeling I have seen K10 somewhere else also, in Saks or Neiman Marcus maybe, but I could be wrong about that.

I haven't smelled it in awhile but I found Tuscan Leather to smell ok, but it was fairly insulting in its simplicity.

Cuir Mauresque is good, a little more modern and transparent than Knize Ten, but compared to Knize Ten CM is ultimately a matter of subtraction rather than addition or modulation. It lacks the size and complexity of Knize Ten, and can become a little tiresome in an affable kind of way. Basically, it's Knize Ten on training wheels. Cuir Mauresque has a surprisingly good and long-lasting incense note. Like many Lutens fragrances, it could use a little less benzoin, and it contains nutmeg which tends to bore me as well.

Cuir Mauresque smells good, but after owning both of them for many years I almost always wear Knize Ten. Among other things, it's far more deep and dynamic, and it oozes character in a way that Cuir Mauresque has a hard time even finding. Wearing Knize Ten outdoors on a cold crisp day it reveals some of the best smoke there is, not unlike Primo Nepal Musk incense but a lot clearer and better.

They're both good but there's no way to know other than to try both of them and give them some time.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I haven't smelled it in awhile but I found Tuscan Leather to smell ok, but it was fairly insulting in its simplicity.

Cuir Mauresque is good, a little more modern and transparent than Knize Ten, but compared to Knize Ten CM is ultimately a matter of subtraction rather than addition or modulation. It lacks the size and complexity of Knize Ten, and can become a little tiresome in an affable kind of way. Basically, it's Knize Ten on training wheels. Cuir Mauresque has a surprisingly good and long-lasting incense note. Like many Lutens fragrances, it could use a little less benzoin, and it contains nutmeg which tends to bore me as well.

Cuir Mauresque smells good, but after owning both of them for many years I almost always wear Knize Ten. Among other things, it's far more deep and dynamic, and it oozes character in a way that Cuir Mauresque has a hard time even finding. Wearing Knize Ten outdoors on a cold crisp day it reveals some of the best smoke there is, not unlike Primo Nepal Musk incense but a lot clearer and better.

They're both good but there's no way to know other than to try both of them and give them some time.
    I would agree with most of this. Tuscan Leather is very Tom Ford-like, which is to say, contemporary, urban, and with the edges smoothed off, all of which has its place. K10 has much more of a narrative to it, definitely, as said above, the most complex of the three.

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I must say I am intrigued by this idea of a "complex" leather, as TL is as everyone has said, extremely linear.

Heperd: I would hate to put you out like that man, especially since it's such an expensive fragrance. But if you are truly offering I would graciously accept. It will be nice to compare alongside leather oud!
    I don't have much to offer, but if you ever notice a frag in my wardrobe that you want to try don't hesitate to ask!

Double post... these DB errors are killing me...

I really have yet to find the leather in Leather Oud. Maybe it is overwhelmed or blended so well with the wonderful oud smoke that i cant pick it out so its hard for me to compare with other leathers.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

but Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque does it better.
    Agree.

Banned

try:

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley - One is initially treated to an enchanting, herbaceous melange. Violet leaf with its marked greenness, akin to grass clippings, couples with the bittersweetness of bergamot as well as the sweetly floral and faintly woody aroma of mimosa. An illusion of a hay-stacked pasture is consummated. Transitioning to the heart, a nascent, leathery castoreum blooms, while lovely black locust adds its indolic, orange blossom flavor and hawthorne imparts its slightly honey and almond aspect to the exquisite opening blend. Immersed in the augmented mixture, the resplendent leather takes on a refined, suede-like aura. An undercurrent of aubepine, with its slightly rose-like odor and anise-like facet, as well as the wintergreen of birch carries the luxurious, leather concoction to the waiting base. The sumptuous leather is lifted by the woody birch, which comes into its own, with its somewhat medicinal and spearmint facets marrying with the earthy grassiness of vetiver as well as the pencil shavings of Virginia cedar. An elegant drydown ensues. A majestic scent for all seasons, this polished, masculine composition has average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

The two aren't that comparable.

Knize Ten is far more bitter, astringent and as if the tanners never really finished the leather tanning process.

Tuscan Leather is like a plush leather jacket thats been softened and slightly perfumed.

for swap/sale:

To me, Knize Ten and Cuir Mauresque are totally different fragrances. I love them both, and the leather component of each is similar, but CM is definitely the darker one. Smoother with a different floral surrounding - especially jasmine (to my nose). Knize Ten is brighter, more powdery, cleaner on top. Both dry down to a nice animalic skank.

But that's my nose, and I have to admit that Tuscan Leather smells like a massive leather sofa to me.

If you like Leather Oud (and I do, a lot), why not try sampling a few other leathers and then make a decision? For instance, Tauer's Lonestar Memories and Mona di Orio's Cuir are seriously bitter, no-nonsense leathers. Cuir Ottoman is more subdued and turns into a beautiful amber. Cuir de Lancome is slightly bitter, elegant, and ambery (and inexpensive!). Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond wrap the leather in iris and carnation, respectively.

Many great comments already and not much to add on my side but, to really know if something may work for you, all you have to do is to give it a test! That being said, there's only one like Knize Ten.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Have you tried Cuir Ottoman? It has a nice shoe leather vibe to it. But if you enjoy the linearity of Tuscan Leather as I do, wearing more complex leather compositions may not necessarily be the solution. You may find yourself looking for the leather most of the time.

One of the best leather imo is the discontinued Helmut Lang Cuiron.

I really have yet to find the leather in Leather Oud. Maybe it is overwhelmed or blended so well with the wonderful oud smoke that i cant pick it out so its hard for me to compare with other leathers.
    Interesting. I can't wait to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    try:

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley - One is initially treated to an enchanting, herbaceous melange. Violet leaf with its marked greenness, akin to grass clippings, couples with the bittersweetness of bergamot as well as the sweetly floral and faintly woody aroma of mimosa. An illusion of a hay-stacked pasture is consummated. Transitioning to the heart, a nascent, leathery castoreum blooms, while lovely black locust adds its indolic, orange blossom flavor and hawthorne imparts its slightly honey and almond aspect to the exquisite opening blend. Immersed in the augmented mixture, the resplendent leather takes on a refined, suede-like aura. An undercurrent of aubepine, with its slightly rose-like odor and anise-like facet, as well as the wintergreen of birch carries the luxurious, leather concoction to the waiting base. The sumptuous leather is lifted by the woody birch, which comes into its own, with its somewhat medicinal and spearmint facets marrying with the earthy grassiness of vetiver as well as the pencil shavings of Virginia cedar. An elegant drydown ensues. A majestic scent for all seasons, this polished, masculine composition has average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.
    Will do! Thank you very much for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The two aren't that comparable.

Knize Ten is far more bitter, astringent and as if the tanners never really finished the leather tanning process.

Tuscan Leather is like a plush leather jacket thats been softened and slightly perfumed.
    Nice description. To be honest I am having a hard time envisioning the leather in Knize Ten, so I'm excited to try it. It just so happens that one of the basenoters, Master-Classer, is not only giving me a Byredo tour but he offered to bring his decant of Knize Ten for me to sniff after seeing this thread

Really great community here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    To me, Knize Ten and Cuir Mauresque are totally different fragrances. I love them both, and the leather component of each is similar, but CM is definitely the darker one. Smoother with a different floral surrounding - especially jasmine (to my nose). Knize Ten is brighter, more powdery, cleaner on top. Both dry down to a nice animalic skank.

But that's my nose, and I have to admit that Tuscan Leather smells like a massive leather sofa to me.

If you like Leather Oud (and I do, a lot), why not try sampling a few other leathers and then make a decision? For instance, Tauer's Lonestar Memories and Mona di Orio's Cuir are seriously bitter, no-nonsense leathers. Cuir Ottoman is more subdued and turns into a beautiful amber. Cuir de Lancome is slightly bitter, elegant, and ambery (and inexpensive!). Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond wrap the leather in iris and carnation, respectively.
    By the pay you put it I feel like I am going to like CM more, because i do like a darker type of leather fragrance.

Also, part of the reason I started this thread was to obtain various opinions on other fragrances as well if they came up, so I appreciate all the input for different fragrances that might fit the bill. Cuir Ottoman is likely going to be the next one I set out to conquer based on everything I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Many great comments already and not much to add on my side but, to really know if something may work for you, all you have to do is to give it a test! That being said, there's only one like Knize Ten.
    Testing is half the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Have you tried Cuir Ottoman? It has a nice shoe leather vibe to it. But if you enjoy the linearity of Tuscan Leather as I do, wearing more complex leather compositions may not necessarily be the solution. You may find yourself looking for the leather most of the time.

One of the best leather imo is the discontinued Helmut Lang Cuiron.

Nope but as I mentioned before, it's on my radar!
    Shame about Cuiron... maybe I'll find it vintage somewhere in the future

I've also got a sample of Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur I'll bring for you tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I've also got a sample of Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur I'll bring for you tomorrow
    It was great. Thanks again for the tour man.
    Sadly the back to black I loved so much ended up smelling like baby powder to me for the rest of the day

^^^^ yes, well it does generally go that way on most people's skin... myself included. That's what a lot of people like about it actually, but I have also smelled it stay sort of honeyed without any powder.

Another vote for Knize Ten. Truly great.

If by modern you mean on the light side, clean, not tarry or tannic, then you can go all they way to the extreme of smoothness and try Tom of Finland as well, which is essentially a lemony saffron, smooth suede; leather only to some, though.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Another vote for Knize Ten. Truly great.

If by modern you mean on the light side, clean, not tarry or tannic, then you can go all they way to the extreme of smoothness and try Tom of Finland as well, which is essentially a lemony saffron, smooth suede; leather only to some, though.

cacio
    Ooh, Tom of Finland is a really good one - I always forget about that one.

I've tried both. At the moment I have Tuscan Leather on my skin. It smells more like a yellow herbal vetiver fragrance than anything else. If you like LEATHER Knize 10 would be miles ahead IMO and way more affordable. I would wear K10 but the chemical (leather treater) smell is just too off putting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I've tried both. At the moment I have Tuscan Leather on my skin. It smells more like a yellow herbal vetiver fragrance than anything else. If you like LEATHER Knize 10 would be miles ahead IMO and way more affordable. I would wear K10 but the chemical (leather treater) smell is just too off putting for me.

I had a quick sniff of K10 and did not get any leather from it whatsoever
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

If you like Tuscan Leather - for an different take on perfumed leather try Cuir Ottoman which is absolutely stunning.
    If you're after something more rough around the edges, try the intensely bitter leather/civet/incense concoction that is the one and only Rien by Etat Libre D'Orange

I just received a sample of Cuir Ottoman today. It takes a while to develop on the skin. At least for me it did compared to other fragrances. It isn't a screamer by any means but a light floral leather in the same vain as Chanel Cuir De Russie....but less complex and not as rich. It leaned more towards the feminine side to my nose.

I also received a sample of Knize 10 Golden Edition. This is the leather for me ! It is K10 with the chemical smell turned way down and the florals made more prominent. You won't loose too much from the original with the Golden Edition. Some notes are more subtle which I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    If you like Tuscan Leather - for an different take on perfumed leather try Cuir Ottoman which is absolutely stunning.
    If you're after something more rough around the edges, try the intensely bitter leather/civet/incense concoction that is the one and only Rien by Etat Libre D'Orange
    I have yet to try Cuir Ottoman, but I'm on the lookout for it. I'll also give Rien a shot. That sounds like something right up my alley!
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

For me, Knize Ten is a great leathery leather. Haven't given it a full wearing yet. Just recently got a sample. To my nose it is not as rough and manly as others say, I get some floral sweetness going on as well.

I do like Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, but the leather seems to have a slightly fishy vibe to me (which some real leathers actually do have). But not sure if I could wear that one.

I really love Arsène Lupin by Guerlain as a very dry-sweet-bitter powdery leather chypre in the tradition of vintage bel ami, but more well behaved and a bit flowery. LOVE!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I have yet to try Cuir Ottoman, but I'm on the lookout for it. I'll also give Rien a shot. That sounds like something right up my alley!
    Recently I tried rien next to knize ten (just on paper). Rien has that Knize Ten DNA, but is more animalistic and overall tougher and rougher. Dryer also. Give it a try. That's pure leather!