Code of Conduct
    Valley Springs, CA (Gold miner's country)

Default My new perfumer's organ!

Took me awhile, with a skill saw and square. It sure has opened up my collection of scents. Everything is easier to grab. Will post a few more pics as the camera battery needs to charge. Oh, and a shout out to Chris, Mumsy, and everyone that posts in the DIY section of basenotes, THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All are headed to that undiscovered country, to which once born, no one has ever returned. Life means death, the end is certain, the journey through life is not. Enjoy the journey and love as much as you are capable of, anger slowly and never with intent to harm another. I am dying of an unknown primary (cancer) and I hope you heed my words, love, love, love life and surrender often to it.

Default Re: My new perfumer's organ!

beautiful
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Really cool Time Left. Inspiring. The cup of coffee is a nice touch too

It seems as if you're a bit of a perfectionist, Time Left. From one perfectionist to another, great job. It should be a great space to work on your perfume from.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    It seems as if you're a bit of a perfectionist, Time Left. From one perfectionist to another, great job. It should be a great space to work on your perfume from.
    My sentiments exactly.

for swap/sale:

That's fantastic! Very nice work. I've been thinking about building one, too. Did you design it yourself or find a plan?

It is indeed magnificent - I'm quite envious - my own looks rather messy by comparison (and you are very welcome).
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksun View Post
    That's fantastic! Very nice work. I've been thinking about building one, too. Did you design it yourself or find a plan?
    Hi Blacksun,

Thank you very much. I designed it myself. Measure twice cut once. It was designed to fit my desk and the shelves above. Also, although you can't really see it, the vertical pieces are trim found at diy home improvement stores. All the wood was bought there, as a matter of fact. The critical part is the braces supporting the "steps" These had to be hand corrected after the initial cut out. I used a string brace construction technique often found in balsa wood airplane wing construction. Another technique is using jigs to make exact replicant parts, which helps speed up construction and accuracy.
    All are headed to that undiscovered country, to which once born, no one has ever returned. Life means death, the end is certain, the journey through life is not. Enjoy the journey and love as much as you are capable of, anger slowly and never with intent to harm another. I am dying of an unknown primary (cancer) and I hope you heed my words, love, love, love life and surrender often to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    It is indeed magnificent - I'm quite envious - my own looks rather messy by comparison (and you are very welcome).
    Thanks Chris, and indeed keeping it organized and clean is easy, as it's newness has not worn off yet. Wait a year and I am sure it won't look so neat.

double post, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko214 View Post
    Really cool Time Left. Inspiring. The cup of coffee is a nice touch too
    Thanks. The coffee is really a fragrant ingredient used for stimulating brain activity in the consumer.

That's seriously impressive.... would you like to come over to my house.... with your woodworking tools....?

Mine are lined up in a glass showcase in the dark wooden boxes that Asda always used to sell the gift boxes of wine and cheese in at Christmas, they had a bottle of wine fitting snugly in one side with a wooden divider down the centre and had cheeses in the other long half on raffia straw. Put sideways, they exactly fit essential oils in. Each Christmas I looked forward to some new boxes for my ever growing oil collection. It was such a hardship to use up the wine and cheese to get each box.... hic.... and guess what? Halfway into my cupboard construction, they stopped the boxes and now do gift baskets instead.... cruelty.

I'm definitely showing that piccy to hubs. That is a dream workbench.

Ok... heres the next question.... what is in all your bottles left to right? I'm only joking......

Mate, very well done! Some good handiwork there!
    Australian Blog on Fine Fragrance ---> http://savourandscent.tumblr.com/

Winemaker/Perfumer for Emerald Vintners ---> www.emeraldvintners.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    That's seriously impressive.... would you like to come over to my house.... with your woodworking tools....?
    Hi Mumsy,

You have know idea how I would love to come to England. If all it took were woodworking tools,... Seems all the neat and cheap perfumery classes are in England. I have Mandy Aftel not living far from me (2 hours) but at $1500.00 a class, I could buy a container load of materials and start mixing away, damn the mistakes (which I have plenty of now).Thank you for sharing info here in the DIY section, especially the thread about Ambergris you started. I purchased 6 grams from the New Zeland lady, Adrienne. She seems so nice and knowledgeable. Have you tinctured any yet? How's the odor?
    Last edited by Time Left; 29th November 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCarter View Post
    Mate, very well done! Some good handiwork there!
    Thank you BCarter, Australia is another country I would love to visit. Would be nice to get away from all these crazy Americans that live around me (Wait, I too am a crazy American) Well, you know what I mean. Cheers Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Wow!!!
    WOW back atcha! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    beautiful
    Thanks wooznib, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    My day job required a great deal of perfection (retired now due to illness) However the art never goes away and now that I have endless time on my hands, it just a matter of solving one puzzle, then the next. Never hurry and don't take myself to serious. And Thanks, now get busy and build yours so I can see it. Perfectionists love a challenge.

Wow I really wish I had something like that. My new best friend ! outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Smellington View Post
    Wow I really wish I had something like that. My new best friend ! outstanding
    Thanks Smellington. Speaking of friendships, I'll send you a request and a pm in a day or two.
    Regards...

Question for you Time Left: I am thinking of making (well probably having made) an organ too. I know right now I can be clumsy and often knock over one bottle as I reach for one behind it. I noticed it looks like your bottles in front are slightly higher than the bottoms of the ones directly behind them. Do you find you knock over the bottles in front? Would you change the height of the shelves if you did it over again? Anything else you would do differently now that you have used it?

Its absolutely gorgeous, I tried to do myself a little portable organ, but ended up buying wood that was useless, and couldn't cut the pieces, so carpenter came to the rescue, I can't wait,... I will have it ready tomorrow. I really like yours is so perfect the distribution.

Basenotes Plus

Very nice and congratulations!
    Justin E. Beasley

sharini2013.jpg

very nice. This is mine. Specially made for me over 10 years ago.

Warm regards

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Jennings View Post
    sharini2013.jpg

very nice. This is mine. Specially made for me over 10 years ago.

Warm regards
    Your organ is gorgeous Nicholas! I just had my portable finished. I am so happy