Code of Conduct

Default Best Candles Ever

Confession. I am a fragrance addict. Specifically Chanel and Diptyque. It's great to have a support group.

Okay, so, at the moment, I am having a candle thing so would appreciate your recommendations for the best candles ever!

Default Re: Best Candles Ever

Diptyque candles are wonderful especially if you like their fragrances.

Hello ChanelAddict. Diptyque candles are wonderful indeed. Also gorgeous are the candles by Baobab and l'Artisan Parfumeur. Recently I have bought "Cedre Bleu" by l'Artisan. Limited edition for Christmas. It's the smell of my meditaranee. And when my husband wants the house smell like a church from tilme to time, it's Avignon by Comme des Garcons or Cardinal by Heeley.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of Diptyque (which as others have said makes great candles).

Parfums de Nicolai: especially her Vetiver de java (dryest bitterest ever)
    Santa Maria Novella: especially Melograno (pomegranate)
    and while in general I am no fan of Bond NY, I absolutely love their Chinatown candle (gourmand chypre).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Diptyque have wonderful candles.
    The ones from Miller Harris are also nice.

for swap/sale:

Cire Trudon are quite amazing, and strong. The themes are far off places and grand interiors: Roi Soleil smells like the rooms of Versailles. A bit pricey at $80, but beautifully done.

The company that produces for Cire Trudon also have their own line: Carriere Freres. Much less expensive at $45 - more botanical based: agarwood, cedar, ebony, biter almond, coffee, cacoa - are all wonderful.

Votivo's Red Currant is a real classic, and a deal at $25.

Post Thanks / Like

Cire Trudon are pretty amazing. Nazareth is my favourite. Frederic Malle Saint de Saints is another one, interesting line. Diptyque Opoponax - and a fantastic selection overall. Just getting round to SMN, recently arrived here so maybe try one for Christmas. To be honest I'm having more fun checking out new candles than fragrance releases these days . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    The company that produces for Cire Trudon also have their own line: Carriere Freres. Much less expensive at $45 - more botanical based: agarwood, cedar, ebony, biter almond, coffee, cacoa - are all wonderful.
    Didn't know this, thanks!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

good to know...thanks Kevin

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Hello ChanelAddict. Diptyque candles are wonderful indeed. Also gorgeous are the candles by Baobab and l'Artisan Parfumeur. Recently I have bought "Cedre Bleu" by l'Artisan. Limited edition for Christmas. It's the smell of my meditaranee. And when my husband wants the house smell like a church from tilme to time, it's Avignon by Comme des Garcons or Cardinal by Heeley.
    Thank you very much, Byzantine. I have had terrible trouble when I have strayed from Diptyque. So really appreciate your advice. I don't suppose you know anything about Annick Goutal 'Noël' Scented candles? I'm stocking up for Christmas. My whole house will be a fire hazzard! And it's summer where I live. But I don't care. My house has to smell like Christmas. Besides we have airconditioning - so I can ramp that up until we feel like we're in the Northern Hemisphere!

Thanks, Mr Reasonable. I've never had much luck with Cire Trudon. I was attracted to it - the French thing and, hey, it's pretty but when I lit it almost nothing. And it was smoky. I tried the Trianon candle, Roi Soleil and Marquise. Maybe they were from a bad batch but I'm not so sure. I bought a couple of others from carriere frere at the same time. They were all a bit Meh for me. I haven't tried Frederic Malle Saint de Saints but I did try Gardenia (Meh), 1er Mai (okay) and Rubrum Lily (made me physically ill)! I know I sound a bit (or maybe a lot) like a diva but having been spoilt by Diptyque, I kinda expect a lot from candles.

Cire Trudon are quite amazing, and strong. The themes are far off places and grand interiors: Roi Soleil smells like the rooms of Versailles. A bit pricey at $80, but beautifully done.

Votivo's Red Currant is a real classic, and a deal at $25.
    Thank you Kevin. Lots of people share your view on Cire Trudon but I never had much luck with them. Have you tried the Trumph candles or maybe Ralph Lauren. I do wonder what they are like and it's not so easy for me to test them (as they are not readily available in Australia). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Diptyque have wonderful candles.
    The ones from Miller Harris are also nice.
    Thanks, apparently the First Lady was gifted a Miller Harris mini candle set!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Outside of Diptyque (which as others have said makes great candles).

Parfums de Nicolai: especially her Vetiver de java (dryest bitterest ever)
    Santa Maria Novella: especially Melograno (pomegranate)
    and while in general I am no fan of Bond NY, I absolutely love their Chinatown candle (gourmand chypre).

cacio
    Thank you Cacio, they sound very exotic! Worth a look!

I don't get on with Cire Trudon that well either, I don't find their strength all that good.
    My favourite candle makers so far have been http://www.astierdevillatte.com/inte...ernational.htm Astier de Villate (Rue St Honore, my favourite of all theirs). They are expensive, but definitely worth it.

I just bought Baies by diptyque today... smells really good

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest Moon View Post
    I don't get on with Cire Trudon that well either, I don't find their strength all that good.
    My favourite candle makers so far have been http://www.astierdevillatte.com/inte...ernational.htm Astier de Villate (Rue St Honore, my favourite of all theirs). They are expensive, but definitely worth it.
    Thank you, Harvest Moon. They sound lovely but what a weird website!

Really love Amouage candles , burn well and have great projection .....

Post Thanks / Like

DayNa Decker for me. The crackling wood wick adds to the experience

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    DayNa Decker for me. The crackling wood wick adds to the experience
    Now this would be an excellent idea as a gift for someone I know who loves candles. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Oh my goodness, Pour Monsieur, at $166 a pop, they better be nice! Do you have a favourite?

I loved their Eternal Oud candle but understand it has or is soon to be discontinued

I loved their Eternal Oud candle but understand it has or is soon to be discontinued
    Opening with a velvety lushness of almond, cedar, patchouli, papyrus, and vetiver the spirit of eternity is captured with a special oud accord including leather, amber, frankincense, myrrh, cumin, tobacco and vanilla. Sounds delicious! And I thought an Oud was a strange looking creature on Dr Who!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest Moon View Post
    Thanks Harvest Moon. I bought the Rue St Honore. It was nice but not fab - if you know what I mean? On the plus side, you get about twice as much as you do for Diptyque - so, pound for pound, it is okay value. Have ordered a Tom Ford tobacco-vanilla candle and a Balenciaga l'essence candle from Neiman Marcus. Will let you know how that goes ...

chaneladdict - I was on the candle search right along with you - debating between cire trudon and astier de villatte. Because CT contain stearin I went AdV. I started with Kobe - which burns woody yet refrenshing and serene. The wood is fig infused, and the ginger + coriander lift the blend.

Hooked, I then went with Opera - which is a lush blend of sandalwood, spice sweetened by the scent of honey - both are beautiful and next on my list is Jerusalem, Aoyama, Delphes, Monte Carlo and Saint Cirq Lapopie. I must admit that the Opera candle was a surprise in that the throw was more intense than the Kobe creating a very different ambience.

Have you tried any other candles? I was advised that Cire trudon's scented pillar candles are the best buy - containing more perfume oil than the glass candles.

Quote Originally Posted by coccodrllo View Post
    chaneladdict - I was on the candle search right along with you - debating between cire trudon and astier de villatte. Because CT contain stearin I went AdV. I started with Kobe - which burns woody yet refrenshing and serene. The wood is fig infused, and the ginger + coriander lift the blend.

Hooked, I then went with Opera - which is a lush blend of sandalwood, spice sweetened by the scent of honey - both are beautiful and next on my list is Jerusalem, Aoyama, Delphes, Monte Carlo and Saint Cirq Lapopie. I must admit that the Opera candle was a surprise in that the throw was more intense than the Kobe creating a very different ambience.

Have you tried any other candles? I was advised that Cire trudon's scented pillar candles are the best buy - containing more perfume oil than the glass candles.
    Hi Coccodrillo, a lot of hit and miss for me when I stray from Diptyque. I tried Astier de Villatte too - Rue St Honore. Not really my thing but maybe Opera will work for me? I'm a bit of a girlie girl - so masculine smells don't really work for me unless they are my husband's aftershave! I finally bought Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille candle. I'm scared. It's not really a gym smell but it's a really strong bar with continental male perfumes. Maybe it burns a nicer scent. Otherwise I'll stick it in the laundry with my cats' litter box. I also bought Balenciaga L'essence candle - which also is a little overwhelming. You know those women who drown themselves in perfume in the morning? It's like that. Not cheap perfume - but so strong you can taste it? I'm thinking of sticking it in the bathroom! I keep hoping to find a new brand of candle but I'm not having much luck. PS I wouldn't recommend Cire Trudon candles. Very pretty but as they say in Amadeus, too many notes! Sorry I couldn't be more help! ChanelAddict.

Hi ChanelAddict - understand why you're scared! I was blind buying and was lucky given that the store mgr where I got my candles was very sweet and described what the candles smelled like when burned and I had him pick the strongest smelling candles in my scent choice. Delphes or Honolulu may be more what you're after. i bought the scented erasers in Naples and rue st. hon. and the scents were not what I imagined them to be. Have you considered trying the incense?

Quote Originally Posted by coccodrllo View Post
    Hi ChanelAddict - understand why you're scared! I was blind buying and was lucky given that the store mgr where I got my candles was very sweet and described what the candles smelled like when burned and I had him pick the strongest smelling candles in my scent choice. Delphes or Honolulu may be more what you're after. i bought the scented erasers in Naples and rue st. hon. and the scents were not what I imagined them to be. Have you considered trying the incense?
    Thanks for your prompt reply, Coccodrllo. Part of my problem is that I live in Australia and many candles are not widely available. So I either have to send away to the US for them or, if I'm lucky, some other Australian capital city. Either way, I don't get to try before I buy. That's why I rely so heavily on people who have tried the candles before me - and actually know what they smell like! Very much appreciate your advice! ChanelAddict

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be Diptyque all the way for me , but had a lot of Armani/Prive candles that were amazingly powerful . Didn't find the L'Artisan candles worked for me though . There is an English company called True Grace who sell there own range and are fantastic and nearly all natural ingredients , they make candles for lots of top brands , they list them on their website . They are very strong as they use 10% fragrance . Other than that we will have to pester Chanel to make the Exclusifs in a range of candles................

Post Thanks / Like

I hear great things about Le Labo's Santal 33 candle...
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to come a bit late to this thread. We run a small hotel and always have a candle burning in the hall, so we get through a lot.
    The best for us, which guests always mention is Ormonde Jayne (the signature scent) single wick. Burns well, fabulous throw, even having the candles in the cupboard makes the place smell delicious.
    I have just bought Francis Kurkdjian candle on E-bay (Lumiere Noire) which I have heard great things about but not tried yet.
    Otherwise I have given up with all makes except Diptyque.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions here, don't see all of these this side of the Atlantic but I'm going to look them out.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone loves Diptyque but for the sake of introducing an option not yet mentioned, I’m a fan of the Jo Malone range of candles - most of them will fill a room just for taking the lid off and burn cleanly for as long as they say they will. Dark Amber and Ginger Lily would be my top choice.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great candle that has not been mentioned yet is the Dayna Decker range of candles, try http://daynadecker.com/v2/collection-chandel_flora.html

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed Amouage are fantastic!

I haven't heard mention of the Bottega Veneta Intreccio series of candles. My vote's for number 2, but all are lovely.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to try out CdG candles but they are just too damn expensive. Malin+Goetz candles are nice as well! Has anyone tried Jovoy Paris yet? They have a "Absolue de Mojito" candle which sounds promising. Just hope it's not plain mint....
    Last edited by sin_is_in; 15th February 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelAddict View Post

Hi Coccodrillo, a lot of hit and miss for me when I stray from Diptyque. I tried Astier de Villatte too - Rue St Honore. Not really my thing but maybe Opera will work for me? I'm a bit of a girlie girl - so masculine smells don't really work for me unless they are my husband's aftershave! I finally bought Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille candle. I'm scared. It's not really a gym smell but it's a really strong bar with continental male perfumes. Maybe it burns a nicer scent. Otherwise I'll stick it in the laundry with my cats' litter box. I also bought Balenciaga L'essence candle - which also is a little overwhelming. You know those women who drown themselves in perfume in the morning? It's like that. Not cheap perfume - but so strong you can taste it? I'm thinking of sticking it in the bathroom! I keep hoping to find a new brand of candle but I'm not having much luck. PS I wouldn't recommend Cire Trudon candles. Very pretty but as they say in Amadeus, too many notes! Sorry I couldn't be more help! ChanelAddict.
    Do try out NEOM candles. I think you'll love those being more of a "girly" type. I enjoyed the "sumptuous" candle alot (Blush Rose + Neroli). The price point is really good on them and even the small ones really work for an entire room so you can try a couple of scents before settling for a bigger one. They're certainly not avant-garde and complex but I found that in the end that's not what I am looking for in a room fragrance.
    Last edited by sin_is_in; 2nd March 2012 at 12:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can report that the Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire has the greatest throw of anything I've tried - even outdoes Ormonde Jayne. It is practically overpowering - use in a very large room!
    Thanks to the other posters here, I will be trying out Neom. I didn't find Dayna Decker memorable I'm afraid. I have bought a few Diptques on Ebay (cheaper than the shops). We get through one a week!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A girlfriend of mine gave me a candle for my birthday a few years back by Diptyque. It smells wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't believe how nice this $24 Trapp was. The whole room smelled from the perfumed candle. I got this from a flower shop.

Has anyone tried Bvlgari candles?

I miss Diptyque's Safran candle and so wish they would bring it back.

Post Thanks / Like

My candles collection is not huge (9 pieces), but I smell candles whenever I can and the absolute favourite of mine is

Dyptique Myrrhe
    I'm burning it right now and I love it!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the best smelling Diptyque candle as a gift for a female?