Code of Conduct

Thread: A Proposal

Default A Proposal

I'm not sure where to post this idea. It doesn't make a lot of sense here, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I'd like to propose that Basenotes Plus Members get preferential treatment in adding new fragrances to the directory. Here's why:

I have grown fond of using the newer Scent of the Day thread -- it's easy for me to post my SoD from my phone. I also like the way it links to my wardrobe so I can see what I've been wearing lately. And how it keeps track of fragrances I've been regularly wearing. It's very handy. And I prefer it to the scent of the day thread that's in the forums.

However, there is a fragrance house -- D.S. & Durga -- of which I'm fond. But many of their scents aren't in the directory, so I'm unable to post to the thread when I wear those fragrances (which has been often lately). I've added their line of scents to the missing directory fragrances list, but that was months ago and it doesn't seem like they're even close to being added.

I was a Basenotes Plus member for two or three years, but I didn't see a lot of benefit for being a member. I like the idea of supporting the site, but sometimes it felt a bit like throwing money away every year.

Allowing Plus members preferential treatment in adding to the directory would bring me back. It might lure others as well -- I'm probably not the only one who owns scents that aren't listed in the directory.

Incidentally, here's the link to the new D.S. & Durga scents, which are well worth checking out.

http://dsanddurga.com
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Default Re: A Proposal

I'm not sure I understand the need for the site to be "supported." I've visited and used several newsgroups that were/are free, and they are down less time than BN has been over the last few years. I would need a lot of clarification before I made recommendations to the BN managers/owner, because I've seen things here that don't make any sense to me, though I'll be the first to admit that I only know some basic HTML.

Basenotes Plus

It would definitely be a big help but I don't know how it can be enabled from the user side. There are certainly many fragrances that have yet to be updated in the fragrance directory, even after a number of years & reminders posted by helpful BNers. I don't understand why there isn't any urgency to keep the directory more current as delays will only lead to backlogs. And are directory updates 'selective'? For example, I see the new TM Pure Havane listed but I don't see any of the recent Parfum de Nicolais, Xerjoffs nor the Dior La Collection Couturier Parfumeur range.

Btw, I think this thread should be moved to BN Supporter forum.

I agree that the Directory needs a lot more attention. It is perhaps the most valuable feature on Basenotes, and aside from recent additions had become stagnant for the past several years. I have somewhere between 200 and 300 fragrances in my collection that aren't in the Directory. Most of these are older, more obscure fragrances, which is understandable, but some are pretty new. I also don't understand why some new frags are added and some not, and what the criteria are for adding fragrances. This is my number one wish for Basenotes, to improve and keep up the Directory.

Blog Entries

UngerWoo - I am very glad you said this. You've made an excellent linkage here. Preferential wiki contributor status for being a supporting member. I like it. Grant not only gets help - he gets money. And we get to fix all these irritating blemishes on the directory, which grow by the day.

Yes - there is no reason that we should not join the wiki age. I have had the lost opportunity to create pages, enter note pyramids and perfumers, or contribute my own bottle pictures for dozens if not low hundreds of new scents. Let us be the perfume researchers! It's what we do.

I do believe that Grant is doing something in this regard (enabling this kind of capability), but I feel that it is imperative for this to happen as soon as possible. It is the Achilles heel of this site, and it's becoming very obvious that we are falling behind. I just discovered one more cheapo site with better objective data on some obscure scents yesterday. Looked like a one-man or one-woman operation. Very scary.

The more active members need to take this load off Grant's hands as soon as possible.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    ....This is my number one wish for Basenotes, to improve and keep up the Directory.
    Same here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I agree that the Directory needs a lot more attention. It is perhaps the most valuable feature on Basenotes, and aside from recent additions had become stagnant for the past several years. I have somewhere between 200 and 300 fragrances in my collection that aren't in the Directory. Most of these are older, more obscure fragrances, which is understandable, but some are pretty new. I also don't understand why some new frags are added and some not, and what the criteria are for adding fragrances. This is my number one wish for Basenotes, to improve and keep up the Directory.
    My exact sentiments. The directory of reviews IS indeed the most valuable asset on BN. Instead of spending effort building a chat room I'd rather the same level of endeavour be targeted at improving the directory listings. If newcomers start looking elsewhere because they know BN won't have the latest fragrance in their directory, that's one opportunity missed. Terribly sorry about the 'threadjack', UngerWoo. I think this concern deserves a separate thread in the relevant forum.

EDIT:
    Fragrance directory editing & update is already in the pipeline! Woohoo!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270...-the-directory
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 28th February 2011 at 10:11 AM.

I'd still love to see this happen. I originally posted ten months ago and I haven't seen a lot of progress. There are so many fragrances that need to be added to be current. The Dior Couturier collection is a great example of a line that needs to be added. Noggs is correct in saying that the directory is the most valuable resource in Basenotes but it would be so much more valuable if it were up to date.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Quote Originally Posted by UngerWoo View Post
    I originally posted ten months ago and I haven't seen a lot of progress.
    Agree that progress is moving rather slowly.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree that progress is moving rather slowly.
    There's been progress?

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

*moved to the chlamydia forum*

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The more active members need to take this load off Grant's hands as soon as possible.
    the impression I get is he's not looking/willing to unload the responsibility

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

To see new fragrances I always go to Fragrantica. This site does not even have Terre d'Hermes parfum yet and that one is very popular and has been out for many years... Good idea. There is more interest from the owners of this site in moving threads around than there is making the database at least somewhat current.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    There is more interest from the owners of this site in moving threads around than there is making the database at least somewhat current.
    teehee

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝