Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Looking for a jasmine-like, heavy, sweet and musky perfume

Hi all, I'm new here : after sniffing until my nose had gone numb I have still not found...

I'm looking for a perfume which is predominantly jasmine scented, and generally sweet, heavy and musky.

I like Gabriela (of Gabriela sabatini) although it is not heavy enough, I like Joop Femme, and Eden of Cacharel. Would you please help me find... ?

I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a jasmine-like, heavy, sweet and musky perfume

Alien

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Alien liqueur de parfum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+1 for Alien.

Also try Guerlain's Samsara.

And welcome to basenotes, happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

I second Teardrop's suggestion, Samsara. ( on my skin the edt is the most Jasmine dominated)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Looking for a jasmine-like, heavy, sweet and musky perfume

Thanks for the tips

The Alien I smelled once when I had some time to kill waiting for a flight - was not really my taste. Samsara seems more like it.

thing is - most of the newcomers on the smell-scene are scents I experience as sour - citrus or foody-scents (I know it is a matter of taste, but I really don't want to walk around smelling like a cake...)... I live in the Netherlands and I hardly ever smell scents I like on females...

Anyway - we just bought our x-mas scents : CK obsession male for him, and Samsara for me

I used www.cheapsmells.com where I got no shipping charges >50 EUR.... NICE

This is the first time I bought a perfume by description only... so teardrop - thanks for the tip and I'll keep you all posted when I get it...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How exciting! You're welcome & l hope you like it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the chance, I would suggest you smell some niche perfumes. A la nuit by Serge Lutens is a big indolic jasmine; if you live in Paris, I'd tell you to try also his Sarrasins (jasmine-leather-fruits), but it is sold only in his main store there. Olene by Diptyque is also a big jasmine, though not sweet.

If you like Eden, you may also like Bas de soie by Serge Lutens. It is not a jasmine, but a hyacinth-iris. I do not much like it, but it has an intense, strange background not dissimilar to that of Eden, which to my nose registers as swampy, but to other registers as rich elegant.

cacio

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Teardrop & shifty-bat : I read both reviews on the Samsara - sounds exactly like my taste. I know a perfume smells different on each person - so I wonder what it will be like on my skin...

Cacio : I normally avoid niche products because they are very hard to find, I looked for the Serge Lutens, but hardly any of the webshops has it. If I find something I like and it is then discontinued - I'd be really disappointed, because most modern perfumes are totally not my taste.

I have a few bottle I use through each other : Joop-femme, Joop-homme, Eden, Gabriela-sabatini. I also have the Ysatis, but can only use it when it gets really cold (and my nose freezes..?)

Now waiting for Samsara

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite jasmines are The Different Company's Jasmin de Nuit and Aqaba by Aqaba. You can find those online at Lucky Scent. They're both a little spicy.

I also had the chance to try Tom Ford's Jasmin Rouge recently, but it might not be as rich and dense as you are looking for. It was very nice, though.

Hope you find one you love!

Post Thanks / Like

Olene by Diptyque.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    My favorite jasmines are The Different Company's Jasmin de Nuit and Aqaba by Aqaba. You can find those online at Lucky Scent. They're both a little spicy.

I also had the chance to try Tom Ford's Jasmin Rouge recently, but it might not be as rich and dense as you are looking for. It was very nice, though.

Hope you find one you love!

Like after this Aqaba ?

I grew up there... This is actually where I remember the scent of Jordanese Jasmine from, my dad always grew jasmine and roses in the garden

Somehow the jasmine in Europe doesn't smell the same, but obviously that would be a different species.

I'm definitely looking that one up !!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank hedonist - and this is a unisex scent - an extra point ! Those are normally more neutral and not too feminine...

Post Thanks / Like

Jasmin Noir by Buvlgari

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Le Labo makes a very nice jasmine, not sure about heft though. And of course at the Le Labo inflated price...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L2003 View Post
    Like after this Aqaba ?

I grew up there... This is actually where I remember the scent of Jordanese Jasmine from, my dad always grew jasmine and roses in the garden

Somehow the jasmine in Europe doesn't smell the same, but obviously that would be a different species.

I'm definitely looking that one up !!
    It's a beautiful scent, obviously named for a beautiful place.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank hedonist - and this is a unisex scent - an extra point ! Those are normally more neutral and not too feminine...
    Your welcome.

I am suddenly craving mansaf LOL.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Le Labo makes a very nice jasmine, not sure about heft though. And of course at the Le Labo inflated price...
    Very hefty, price and perfume.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Jasmin Noir by Buvlgari
    +1 Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Looking for a jasmine-like, heavy, sweet and musky perfume

Hedonist : I still prefer the scent of jasmine to the scent of lamb-meat...

Addict & Ken : Jasmine NOIR - isn't that a male-scent (although makes no difference to me at all) ?

*** I looked up the description here in the directory... Licorice...???? Bah.....

Post Thanks / Like

If it makes a difference, I bought Bvlgari Jasmin Noir at women's frag counter at Nordstroms. I've also seen it a women's frag counters at Bloomingdales.

It may not suit you, however the scent fits in with your description of a heavy, sweet and musky jasmine. You can always order samples to see if you like it.

Your description sounds like you should try Narcotic Venus or Nuda from Nasomatto. They are quite expensive though, both heady, musky jasmine fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hedonist : I still prefer the scent of jasmine to the scent of lamb-meat...

Addict & Ken : Jasmine NOIR - isn't that a male-scent (although makes no difference to me at all) ?

*** I looked up the description here in the directory... Licorice...???? Bah.....

Jasmin Noir is marketed as a feminine perfume. l like it, & l don't find the liqorice note too prominent, but the projection & longevity are nowhere near as good as Samsara. lt works only as a work scent for me.

PS. That smiley looks like it's vomiting a Christmas tree, ha!

Jasmin Noir is definitely a female scent. Referring to teardrop's post above: I find it muuuuch more potent than Samsara. I do wear it in the office but I am always a bit concerned if it's not too much or too evening-type for work.

I don't detect liquorice in it (not a fan of liquorice but fan of Jasmin Noir). Just try it!

I'm just presuming you must have tried Joy by Jean Patou. They don't come much more sweet Jasmine whopper than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Poison seems like an easily available choice, especially if you can find an older batch.

I love jasmines, so I'd recommend Nasomatto's Nuda and Neil Morris Gandhara, both jasmine heavies, one sleek and one sultry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Poison seems like an easily available choice, especially if you can find an older batch.

I love jasmines, so I'd recommend Nasomatto's Nuda and Neil Morris Gandhara, both jasmine heavies, one sleek and one sultry.
    Suga, I love Poison, but I find more tuberose in this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever smelled Fracas or Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia? Jasmine is not the main note (it's tuberose) but they both do have the whole sweet indole thing going on. To my nose Fracas is heavier and muskier than the Estee Lauder. One of those might fit the bill. If not, there's always Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge. Not my favorite but I'd suggest giving it a sniff to see what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Annick Goutal Songes. Intoxicating, sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

The heavier jasmine I've smelled is Lust by Gorilla Perfume at Lush: the main notes are jasmine and ylang-ylang.

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/278/L...orilla-Perfume

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Valnum, I never realized a gorilla could smell that good LOL

Anyway - yesterday the roads were not so busy, so I made my trip home well in time to stop at a chemist that was still open and... sniff.... one of my fav activities when I have time to hang out.

The Gabriela still made my head spin, they had no Samsara (still have to wait), and all the rest was just not my taste. Anyway this morning I sprayed some Gabriela one one side and some Joops Femme on the other, then asked people at work to sniff, give a description and a preference... the Gabriela won 2:1 for more Jasmin and the Joop for being sweet-musk. Only at mid-day a delivery came.... Guess what ? Samsara & obsession-male (our xmas scents).

Of course I could not wait another second and had to find out.... I just LOVE it... I'm not sure the jasmine note is the most dominant to my skin-nose combination (and I only sprayed on my skin some 10 min back, so it still has to dry), but it is deep and sweet and musky and definitely jasmin too.

I grade this total of anosmic-choice with a 9 out of 10.

I love this scent, thank you for all the help and participating in this , maybe superficial, but definitely fun thread

I got some other names from this thread which I definitely plan to check out in my future sniffing sessions I'll report back.

Samsara is a keeper !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Woohooooo!! l'm so pleased you love it, enjoy it in good health!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

It has now been a few hours... The Samsara makes my skin feel warm where I sprayed it - did anyone here experience the same (no skin reaction though). It has gradually developed into a deep sweet scent during the afternoon.

** sorry for being so childishly excited... in real life I'm a super-serious person.... LOLLL

I'm retiring my "special event" current (coco and No.5 of Chanel) in favor of Samsara - this is it !!
    My everydays Joop! Femme and Eden will be swapped for Gabriela

Now I'm waiting until I get home this evening to hear the male-opinion...

aaaaawwwwweeeeeee

Post Thanks / Like

Obsession

Post Thanks / Like

For a more blended Jasmine scent try Hypnotic poison by Dior and Trouble by Boucheron. Really glad you enjoy Samsara, by the way

+1 Jasmin Noir
    +1 Alien

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just revisiting this thread a few months later
    (again - thank you all for your input - apart from the frag I actually bought - it contributed a lot of ideas)

The Samsara is still my huge fav and a few of the others were hits too : Jasmine noir, (obsession I already had but re-sniffed), poison of dior (close on the top-notes, but the lower notes were too light), many of the frags available in the US and ME (shame because the ME is characterized by sweet-spicy scents) are not available here - so it could only be a virtual sniff (checking out note description).

Since then fragrances became much more important in my life (no wonder, I never really liked what the conventional stores offer as I'm not into candy and sweets...), and I have done a lot of reading on the subject. In relative terms (naturally) I know much more now than then, I realize also my description of "musky" was wrong, it should have been smokey / woody / balmy.

In the meantime I have identified my fav notes and categories... also discovered that vintage frags were a lot more to my taste than the current ones... Bought Tabu and fell in love, and now Raffinee is on the way...

I also decided to blend some scented oils together - at first just a few basic ingredients - not even meant for the skin, and later develop on what I have learned. Indeed this has become a fascinating new interest for me

Wow, no one suggested Boudoir? This should tick ALL the boxes, sweet, heavy, musky jasmine. This stuff is dynamite and has incredible sillage and longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

A lovely jasmine is also Parfumerie Generale's Drama Nuu´.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    A lovely jasmine is also Parfumerie Generale's Drama Nuu´.
    +1 - very interesting take on jasmin - slightlhy sweet and green but tempered by the woody base.

Alien

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

I'm not familiar with boudoir - will try to remedy that next time I get a chance to sniff. Alien I actually know and find too light and high (if you can use that term for a scent).

I bought a few since : Joop Femme, Playboy miami, Tabu, Raffinee, and some more attars that still have to arrive. The greatest success so far is Tabu - it is absolutely dazzzzzzzling.... Raffinee is also good and Samsara was my first blind buy and it is HUGE.

I guess my definition is now between Samsara and Tabu they are both amazing.
    Last edited by L2003; 25th May 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to see you keeping the thread updated with your impressions L2003. Thank you!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home