Code of Conduct

Default J'Adore is a bully, it is kicking the living lights out of my Shalimar :-(

OK...I was at Ulta this morning and sprayed 2-3 sprays of Shalimar EDT on the right wrist and one spray of J'Adore on the left, as a friend just told me she wears this one.
    I do not know whether J'Adore was in EDT or EDP form as I didn't pay attention.
    But at Ulta, the tester was most probably EDT.

That being said, I was left speechless about how strong and heady J'Adore (a fruity-floral) is compared to Shalimar, arguably the mother of all Orientals. I love the latter very much and have it on my Christmas list in EDP form. I really thought Shalimar was a heady, strong scent but I learned it is definitely not - at least not on me.
    I find it, in fact, very discreet and the EDT is a complete no-no for being so watered down.

I do like it, it is beautiful but it is sooo discreet and often loses in sillage battles with many others. His sister Samsara (my more or less signature) can "beat it" every time...

Does anyone else find it this way? Even the vintage extrait is not that strong or lasts that long on me.
    I love the scent itself, it is so gorgeous and sophisticated - but it way too low profile and speaks too softly for me.

I like my perfumes to SPEAK UP, to be heard and to dress me all around - otherwise I sincerely feel like I am wasting my money. This may not sound terribly "highbrow" and perhaps a bit too much "80's" ....but this is how I feel. :-(

Do you think the EDP Shalimar might be "mightier" in terms of sillage?
    Either way, I can't wait to get it for Christmas.
    The problem with progress is that it has been going on for too long.

Default Re: J'Adore is a bully, it is kicking the living lights out of my Shalimar :-(

I have both EDT&EDP and no,there's no difference to me regarding sillage&projection.I smell a difference in notes-mainly that the EDT is all citrus-y powder on me where the EDP reveals more of the leathery and smoky aspects,along with more depth to the florals.I like both,though I much prefer the EDP.It is just a very personal scent and I believe that if it shouted,the entire effect would be ruined.Having said that,I found some of the concentrations available during the 80's(EDC&PDT esp.) to be rather potent but then as you said,loud was in fashion then.And I do think on me at least,there probably is more sillage to the current EDP/EDT than I'm noticing.Glad you aren't put off by the whole thing,I think you will still enjoy that Christmas EDP!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Default Re: J'Adore is a bully, it is kicking the living lights out of my Shalimar :-(

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    And I do think on me at least,there probably is more sillage to the current EDP/EDT than I'm noticing.Glad you aren't put off by the whole thing,I think you will still enjoy that Christmas EDP!
    No, I am certainly not put off. I am just surprised at how potent J'Adore is. I added some Shalimar extrait on top of the 2-3 sprays of EDT I applied in the store this morning - and at the end of the day that one early spray of J'Adore is still clearly there on the left wrist, whereas the Shalimar layering on the right wrist is basically all gone.

One drop of extrait on top of 2-3 sprays of EDT (Shalimar) vs. one spray of J'Adore (most probably EDT)?

I would have never thought.
    The problem with progress is that it has been going on for too long.