Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver - quick question

What does the most current EDT bottle look like?

- Is it the square one that has the horizontal "chunky" grooves with alternating frosted & clear glass that comes in a 4.2oz?
    - Or is the the bottle that is rectangular, has a green label (sticker) in the center and comes in a 3.4oz?

Is it the same formula?

What about longevity & projection (is one better than the other?)
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 29th November 2011 at 08:49 AM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver - quick question

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    What does the most current bottle look like?

...the bottle that is is rectangular and has a green label (sticker) in the center, which comes in a 3.4oz?
    This one.

One more question, is it the same formula, or is one better than the other?
    I have both and can barely tell the difference between them. Perhaps the ribbed one has a bit more citrus sparkle. The new one is dearer $ for ml anyhow so if you can I'd get the older one.

Last edited by jclaxton78; 29th November 2011 at 08:50 AM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

No I think they are both new and the pic is wrong for the first one - the ribbed bottle was 75 and 125ml, not 100ml.

I hear different things from different people and websites. Even the Guerlain website shows BOTH bottles. Could it get any more confusing?

The latest version is in the tall habit rouge bottle but with a green sticker. It is the same bottle they used pre-2000. The juice in the new bottle is different to Vetiver 2000. It is crisper, cleaner and more medicinal. They also toned down the tonka bean to make it less sweet, a little more bitter. Nothing beats the original edc pre-2000 but the latest version is superior to the one in the ribbed bottle, which in my opinion had waaaaay too much tobacco and tonka. Reformulations are not usually for the better, but not in this case. I like the current version a lot better as it is more balanced and smooth. I couldn't stand the one in the ribbed bottle, it put me off Vetiver for a good 10 years. I'm now back on the stuff and loving it!
    Last edited by sumandre; 29th November 2011 at 09:10 AM.

[QUOTE=jclaxton78;2362240]So this one is vintage...And this one is current?/QUOTE]

The second one is the current version.

The one in the first pic is the version immediately before the current one.

So, basically, they are both "new" versions, but I do believe that is a difference in the way they smell.

Quote Originally Posted by sumandre View Post
    The latest version is in the tall habit rouge bottle but with a green sticker. It is the same bottle they used pre-2000. The juice in the new bottle is different to Vetiver 2000. It is crisper, cleaner and more medicinal. They also toned down the tonka bean to make it less sweet, a little more bitter. Nothing beats the original edc pre-2000 but the latest version is superior to the one in the ribbed bottle, which in my opinion had waaaaay too much tobacco and tonka.
    I believe this is correct based on reviews I have read. The latest version is closer in character to vintage, and tones down the citrus and tobacco notes so dominant in the version in the ribbed bottle. I like the version in the ribbed bottle, but I also own a number of vintage bottles. I haven't tried the latest version.

Oh..I should stress that the new version is the one with the silver cap, pre-2000 or vintage comes in the same bottle but with a gold cap.

This is the second or third Guerlain where I have heard that a recent version is an improvement, or 'more like it used to be'. I know it's all subjective, of course, but it's nice to hear anyway. I think the frosted glass Vetiver is pretty mundane (haven't tried earlier pre-2000 versions) so I'll give this new one a shot - thanks!

Looks like this now.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by sumandre View Post
    The latest version is in the tall habit rouge bottle but with a green sticker. It is the same bottle they used pre-2000. The juice in the new bottle is different to Vetiver 2000. It is crisper, cleaner and more medicinal.

Nothing beats the original edc pre-2000 but the latest version is superior to the one in the ribbed bottle, which in my opinion had waaaaay too much tobacco and tonka.

Yes but IMO Vetiver 2000 has more bite to it. The newer (older bottle) version is toned down considerably and comes across as a "soft" scent. The Vetiver 2000 was more rugged with a "bug spray" bite to it.

You should try both but don't feel bad for not buying either one. There are better options out there...maybe not in that price range though.

This is coming from a vetiver fan of many years. I got tired of the reformulations. My interest was in the original formula nothing more.

So which version is the Vetiver with the gold cap and the gold border around the green square label on the rectangular bottle. This is the one I have and I remember buying it many years ago. My Derby which was bought at the same time looks the same except has a blue square label.

OK, I understand it now. Thanks people.

thatmakesscents

As a Vetiver fan what Vetiver fragrances do you like? I liked Guerlain's pre 2000 formulation but when it came time I purchased the ribbed bottle. It was what was available at the store and I had a gift card. I enjoy it but every time I hear about a reformulation it makes me groan but am interested to know how the scent changed.
    Last edited by Titan; 30th November 2011 at 01:49 PM.

OK, I blind bought the newest version and should be getting it in a few days. Will post my take on it in this thread.

I've never had a vetiver fragrance before so this will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    thatmakesscents

As a Vetiver fan what Vetiver fragrances do you like? I liked Guerlain's pre 2000 formulation but when it came time I purchased the ribbed bottle. It was what was available at the store and I had a gift card. I enjoy it but every time I hear about a reformulation it makes me groan but am interested to know how the scent changed.
    Vetiver Guerlain has always been the best IMO. Once you get hooked on it no other Vetiver scent comes across as right. Sycomore by Chanel is a wonderful Vetiver scent but the brown sugar dry down got old to me. Encre Noire was a nothing scent to me. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver did nothing for me. I would look for other fragrances that use a considerable amount of Vetiver in their formula. I haven't been able to find a straight Vetiver that I like otherwise.

BLEAU by Chanel uses a good amount of Vetiver in their formula and I have grown to like it very much. Alot of masculine scents use Vetiver...some more than others. It takes some research to find out which ones.

You would be looking for a woodsy mens cologne with a heavy dash of Vetiver.

I posted this question yesterday, but it was moved to the "Men's Grooming" section, possibly because it mentions shower gel. I hope nobody is upset if I re-post it in this thread, as it really deals with reformulation issues:

With the reservation that I have not smelled the very latest version, Guerlain's Vetiver eau de toilette seems to me a pale shadow of what it once was. But, at least to my nose, the shower gel is the same as it always was. Indeed, it is a better representation of the original scent than what is now sold as the eau de toilette. So do the various laws and regulations that have affected the pure fragrance formulation not apply to the shower gel, or is something wrong with my sense of smell?

That was the 1988 bottle design. Mind you that the 1996 design also had a gold border, but whereas the 1988 label only had two vertical gold/white lines, the 1996 design had a gold/white line on all four sides of the label.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    So which version is the Vetiver with the gold cap and the gold border around the green square label on the rectangular bottle. This is the one I have and I remember buying it many years ago. My Derby which was bought at the same time looks the same except has a blue square label.

I finally got the current version in the mail today. Never tried it before (in any formulation), but I tried it for the first time today. I just don't think it is for me. Maybe this is better in warmer weather? Not sure I'm willing to wait another 6 months to find out.

Is it against the rules in this thread to ask if anyone is interested in a trade or buying it off me?
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 4th December 2011 at 03:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Keep it jclaxton78, put it away and wear it again soon...you might change your mind later on.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

What kind of projection and longevity are you all getting (those that own the newest formulation)?

I only seem to get a few hours, but it may be olfactory fatigue. The projection is average for that time, but then dies down to a skin scent. It also may be due to the cold dry air in NY this time of year.

The projection is average for that time, but then dies down to a skin scent.
    Yes this is my experience as well. The word "average" is best suited to describe the new version. Tom Ford's vetiver is very similar and also very average.

Most all fragrances these days are average unless you want to shell out mega dollars.

If I had to sum up the new version in one word it would be "soft". The original was very "masculine".

...also from NYC. Weather has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 24th December 2011 at 12:23 PM.