Code of Conduct

Default Jubilation XXV, don't get the hype

Jubilation XXV seems to be a fragrance pop-star on these boards along with pure malt, Musc Ravageur...etc. However I never understood it. It smells like citrusy, incense, green dried fruit. It smells like on singular note, I'm guessing it's frankincense, which I believe I have smelt in food before.

Ubar is almost identical to it, it smells a little less than something I can relate to a middle eastern spice. It grew up on me since I got it, but it's still not something I'd buy. I really feel like I'm missing something here. All I smell is frankincense, frankincense, frankincense. While I like frankincense to small to moderate doses, this seems to be like a single note fragrance to me. What should I look for when I smell Jubilation XXV?

Default Re: Jubilation XXV, don't get the hype

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    All I smell is frankincense, frankincense, frankincense. What should I look for when I smell Jubilation XXV?
    Myrrh?

I'm not drawn to it for several reasons. It vanishes in mere hours. Reviews about sillage/longevity vary depending on your skin type. It's either gone in hours or lasts all day.

It's the least "Amouage" smelling scent. The line tends to have that luxurious one thousand and one nights vibe but I don't feel that with Jubilation XXV.

Although not similar, the red fruity aspect of it reminds me of Sequoia (also done by Bertrand Duchaufour) which I find a more interesting fragrance.

It's a nice scent but easily forgettable. I don't find it linear, it's complex. I recommend testing it some more.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 18th October 2010 at 03:29 AM.

When we first got it, my thought was pot pourri from Michaels. Although there is that aspect, it has bags of character with different scents at different distances, and different overall presentations at different temperatures. It's a fantastic all day scent on Mrs. J. and is quite a good one on myself. Note there's a difference. Perhaps you're one of the ones where it's not truly into it's element.

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    Myrrh?
    that's what I'm asking, is there more to look for? or is it frankincense essential oil in a fancy bottle?

Ubar identical? It's sounding like I'm long overdue in smelling this one...

I'm not so nuts about Jubilation XXV, either. It's nice, but I don't get what people go on about. Of Amouage fragrances, I like Epic Man more.

I don't see the Ubar resemblance, though....
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I find Jubilation XXV very generic and interchangeable. I can't see any resemblance with Ubar either.

The fruit and immortelle in XXV is a bit strong which can make it feel linear, but on my skin at about the 4-6 hour mark the frankincense and oud really start to show themselves and it becomes more incense/woody rather than fruity and almost gourmand. I pick up hints of celery seed (doesn't really smell that much like celery), myrrh, frankincense, oudh, immortelle, cinnamon, bay and more throughout, all they are all kind of buried in that syrupy fruity accord that persists for the first many hours.

This stuff has extreme longevity on my skin - easily 20+ hours. A great scent, but a bit more lavish than I'm usually in the mood for, hence my preference for Epic Man and even moreso, Memoir Man, both of which are far more dry and incense laden than XXV.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In general terms, if you don't like dry, woody incense type frags, for example, then my guess is that you won't like one that is very well done. I think this is why many BNers say that they don't get the hype for this or that expensive, highly-praised niche frag.

Jubilation isn't really dry though until its late drydown, and even so a good amount of immortelle and perhaps vanilla remain. It's definitely not a dry scent like TdH, Hinoki, Epic or Memoir Man, Ourzazate, etc. At least not on my skin - is it dry throughout on your skin, Bigsly?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Ah, could it be that I can't smell some notes? Jubilation XXV is all frankincense for me, Ubar is about 90% with some florals :S I've never had this issue with a fragrance where I'm unable to smell a "dimension" of it.

You might be sensitive - hyperosmic -to a synthetic that is used in many of their frankincense accords. I've had this happen with scents.. I thought it was a one note linear affair and everyone else is describing something multifaceted. I've also had this sensitivity fade and then be able to smell the dimensions others were talking about.. a very odd experience to suddenly "be able to see when one was blind."

That might indeed be the case for you Ekove.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I was speaking in general terms of specific kinds of frags that are common in the niche world. I've never tried this one, but as I said my guess is that if a person doesn't really like a certain type of frag it doesn't matter how good the ingredients are, how good the blending is, how dynamnic it is, etc.

I used to like it, but not much enymore. Jubilation XXV, Epic, and Reflection gives me a terrible headache, so I just can`t wear them enymore. There is a ingredient in these fragrances I just can`t handle! I do not have the same problems with Dia, and Ciel.

Oslo, sorry to hear you are having problems with those scents. That really sucks! Just curious, how many sprays did you typically wear of XXV, Epic and Reflection?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Oslo, sorry to hear you are having problems with those scents. That really sucks! Just curious, how many sprays did you typically wear of XXV, Epic and Reflection?
    -Never more than 2 sprays (under my shirt). I like strong stuff with good sillage and stayingpower, but IMO these scent are too much.. They are ultra-mega-strong.

Thats why it costs $250+ , Oslo-Fjord

These scents are worth the money, provided u like the actual smell.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Thats why it costs $250+ , Oslo-Fjord

These scents are worth the money, provided u like the actual smell.
    Yeh, I know.. Dia and Ciel are among my favourit fragrances.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    -Never more than 2 sprays (under my shirt). I like strong stuff with good sillage and stayingpower, but IMO these scent are too much.. They are ultra-mega-strong.
    I find, on the other hand, that Jubilation XXV has low longevity. I use sprays on my chest, one on my thigh, and a couple on one arm, and in 3-4 hours it seems to vanish. Maybe I just need to give it time. I like the smell, but it's quite subtle. I did detect cinnamon, some oud, but not too much frankincense. Woody...definitely...but subtle woody.

I find I can't tolerate Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by daoud62 View Post
    So you are a werewolf then?
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    So you are a werewolf then?
    No, a vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Jubilation XXV seems to be a fragrance pop-star on these boards along with pure malt, Musc Ravageur...etc. However I never understood it. It smells like citrusy, incense, green dried fruit. It smells like on singular note, I'm guessing it's frankincense, which I believe I have smelt in food before.

Ubar is almost identical to it, it smells a little less than something I can relate to a middle eastern spice. It grew up on me since I got it, but it's still not something I'd buy. I really feel like I'm missing something here. All I smell is frankincense, frankincense, frankincense. While I like frankincense to small to moderate doses, this seems to be like a single note fragrance to me. What should I look for when I smell Jubilation XXV?
    If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's that simple. Don't force yourselfe to like it just because everybody else likes it. There are many fragrances out there

Quote Originally Posted by daoud62 View Post
    I find, on the other hand, that Jubilation XXV has low longevity. I use sprays on my chest, one on my thigh, and a couple on one arm, and in 3-4 hours it seems to vanish. Maybe I just need to give it time. I like the smell, but it's quite subtle. I did detect cinnamon, some oud, but not too much frankincense. Woody...definitely...but subtle woody.

I used to share this opinion. The first time I tried it, I went about 4 or 5 sprays, and thought it faded in like 15-20 minutes. Second time I tried it I went with 3 and could smell it for about 6-7 hours. Now I wear two sprays and can detect it's smell for about 24 hours. This one fatigues your nose like no one's business.

I don't much like jubilation xxv, either. I don't hate it, just don't like it. Maybe I detect any lavender underneath the frankinsense? My nose isn't the most selective. Usually I don't like lavender fragrances. Strangely, I also got a Bois du Portugal vibe from it. I don't like BdP either.

But other noses are probably better than mine.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

has a urine component that I dont like

It's OK but nothing special IMO.

Go for Eau d`Italie Baume du doge. A bit similar, but much more delicious.