Code of Conduct

Default Paul Sebastian (PS)

Just tried this the other day and had to buy it.

What a perfectly balanced, soft but masculine oriental with very good longevity and sillage (needing only 1 spray). All these years I walked by it at the department stores thinking it was a cheap cologne for old men. Boy was I wrong. This one is such a winner. I see it being so versatile, except for maybe in extreme heat. I can't believe the quality of this juice ...and a mere $20 for a 4.0oz bottle.

This must have legions of fans since it has been on the market so long, yet rarely is it mentioned. I agree, it is not the most exciting scent around, but it's conservative and mature nature is what makes it great. A nice mixture of subtle spice, musk, powder and the slightest hint of vanilla. Pure class.

I can't ever see myself without a bottle of this.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Default Re: Paul Sebastian (PS)

It sounded similar to frags I already have, but if it didn't I probably would have done a blind buy on it.

I've been meaning to sample this, as I see it all the time at the discounters. I smelled it once months ago at Dillards, but I doing a lot of sniffing that day and don't recall what it was like. Glad you are enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    ...and a mere $20 for a 4.0oz bottle.
    Can't beat the price!

One of the few scents that actually turns my stomach. Don't know why, I just can't deal with this one.

A love or hate frag this one .
    I enjoy it in small doses a few times a year ,,, nice scent .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

It's kind of like an EdT version of Old Spice to me...

Can't wait till petrucci gets here...

Oh Joe....

Back many years ago, in the pre-internet days, I spent several months sampling small dabber vials of everything I could find at the various department stores. Joop!, Cool Water, Fahrenheit, Paco Reban XS and many more were all in the mix, but what did I know about frags back then ? I simply knew what seemed to smell good to me.

In the end I settled on Chanel Concentree, and good old PS. Not sure if either of them are the same stuff today, but if they are, I suspect PS is still worth a sniff, if only to see what sort of quality is indeed available at this price.

Bought this in September whilst I was in the States on holiday and I wish I'd bought a bigger bottle - really like it and and enjoy wearing it. Longevity & sillage are perfect and as jclaxton78 points out - very versatile - just as good in the Monterey heat as back home in chilly old England!!!!

I wore this in the late 80's early 90's because it seemed lighter to me from all the 80's power frags I had been wearing and my nose needed a break. I've seen it described on BN as a 'cool' Obsession. Where Obsession for men is a warmer Oriental. Like birdboy48 I would hit the fragrance counter and sample. Fewer fragrances to choose from back then and I don't think that was a bad thing. Less crap to sift through. Internet or not I don't buy if I can't try and my nose knows. No matter how convincing someones review is.

I love this scent it so nice warm and spicy the sillage it creates through the day is next to amazing. I only wish they would update the bottle a little. That spray cap now is so cheap that the whole thing comes off at times - such a classic you would think EA fragrances would invest to modernize the bottle a little.

i have a bottle and i love it. 2 sprays max. smells amazing.

Great scent, monster sillage and Longevity..less is more with this one. If you over apply you will complete reverse the fragrance. I've gotten many good compliments on it over the years..

Smelled great on a used car salesman I knew back in the early 90's. I remember a certain haberdasher gifting it to his graduating son. When I was around 20 (1987) I asked a perfume counter lady about her favorite for men, and it was PS.

In my opinion, it's a bit dated for my taste, but I did buy it for my Dad (now 69) about three years ago.

But yes, it smells very good. It best suits older guys. Again, that's just my personal opinion. I'm 44 and I feel it's too old smelling for me. I know many disagree. That's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Back many years ago, in the pre-internet days, I spent several months sampling small dabber vials of everything I could find at the various department stores. Joop!, Cool Water, Fahrenheit, Paco Reban XS and many more were all in the mix, but what did I know about frags back then ? I simply knew what seemed to smell good to me.

In the end I settled on Chanel Concentree, and good old PS. Not sure if either of them are the same stuff today, but if they are, I suspect PS is still worth a sniff, if only to see what sort of quality is indeed available at this price.

I don't think PS has been tinkered with at all. Haven't read anything that says so.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Dependent

This one seems a little bit too dated to my nose... Tried it, passed on the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    I don't think PS has been tinkered with at all. Haven't read anything that says so.
    I may have spoken too soon.

I bought a bottle of PS by Paul Sebastian at Marshalls a few weeks ago and praised it a lot in a review. Last week I found a tester bottle on ebay and figured, what the heck, I'll grab that too. I noticed that the bottle I got from Marshalls has nothing written on it, while the bottle I received from Ebay (reputable seller too) has "fine cologne" in black letters on the bottle.

Anyway, the bottle from Ebay is horrible! Like it was watered down to 1/10th the strength and all of the quality notes are gone. It doesn't last and smells cheap. Anyone know if the Paul Sebastian has been reformulated by Elizabeth Arden (I wouldn't be surprised)?

I've checked amazon reviews and some people obviously have received the good stuff while others complain of receiving a watered down ghost of the original.

Judging by what EA fragrances did to Z-14 recently (it's ruined completely beyond recognition), I'm going to guess that PS has just been reformulated. I understand cost cutting, but what the F*CK, don't destroy the product! This must be the case as I find it really hard to believe there are people out there opening bottles of PS and diluting them, then refilling the bottles and repackaging them.

Will it ever stop? These companies trying to pull a fast one on the consumer. It's literally out of control. I can imagine people getting PS or Z-14 for Christmas and spraying it on themselves and thinking "what the hell happened? This isn't the same as I remembered it at all".

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Agree. Different enough to own both if you feel like carrying enough inventory. I do, so I do.

fwiw, I'm 50 and old skewl. I'd be kind of suprised to learn that fans of Havana or Montana Pd'homme don't care for it.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

Can't wait till petrucci gets here...

Oh Joe....
    I'm here!

Sorry - but PS is literally Eau de Toilet. It's one of the worst fragrances ever created.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th December 2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

PS is one of the few times I've been utterly disgusted by a perfume.

Love it. It's one of those frags you really have to wear, not just sample sniff, to really appreciate. A great 70s powerhouse.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Agree. Different enough to own both if you feel like carrying enough inventory. I do, so I do.

fwiw, I'm 50 and old skewl. I'd be kind of suprised to learn that fans of Havana or Montana Pd'homme don't care for it.
    I'm a big fan of Havana, and I see a similarity in the dry-down of that and PS. PS is more wearable because it doesn't assault your senses nearly as much.

Can't say I have tried this one, but has anyone tried Design by Paul Sebastian? It can easily be qualified as the most disgusting fragrance ever made.

Bought it at Marshalls. "Oh, it's so classic and cheap. It's got to be good."

Classic, cheap - well, yes. Got to be good - not so much. Haven't worn it since I bought it.

It's not classic, it's old. It smells even cheaper than it is. Big Lots can't even sell this swill.

I recently bought a bottle for $18 from the local Marshalls. Took it home and gave it a quick sniff. I was more than satisfied. I was enthusiastic. Fresh out of the shower this AM, before suiting up for work, I shot myself three times with the PS. Suit, tie, topcoat, and out the door fast. I was digging the smell while I was in my car. By the time I got to work, however, the PS had turned into a monster. Sillage? Like whoa! Sillage implies that you leave a trail of waves behind you. My three pumps of PS managed to put sillage out front! It was so heavy that everything looked all shimmery, kind of like a mirage. Here I am 14 hours later and I can still smell it. Gonna take a shower before bed. I'll try this again in a few weeks. Gonna be super-careful. Maybe just one squirt. Wow.

Yep, this is one superpowerful frag. It's one of the strongest fragrances I own. Three squirts is like pouring half a bottle of Old Spice on yourself.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.