Code of Conduct

Default Eclectic Collections

Anyone ever heard of Eclectic Collections before?? I've just recently bought pretty much half of their entire line-up for men for a bargain. They are all EDP's so they are long lasting and project nicely. They are all natural scents and very very few synthetic notes if any and it even says natural scent on the bottles.

I'm in the UK and was just looking to spend some spare change on either one expensive fragrance or a few cheap but good ones. I had my eye on Chanels Blue De Chanel but after testing it out at Debenhams it just smelled pretty...common and generic. It smelled good...but not £60 good. So I chose to look for some cheap but good fragrances to last me throughout the year. I decided on getting a sample of one of their fragrances from Galaxy Perfume for a small fee so I don't take too much of a gamble.

I got a sample of their fragrance 7 Wonders Of The World Collosseum. Damn...boozy, fruity, long lasting, no nasty cloying smells, no syntheticness and projects well for a good 4-5 hours before hitting an amazing dry down which lasts all day. It has sort of a dark personality with the booze and plum notes that smell like fine Cognac but it has a bit of a sensitive and sweet side to it with the dry down. Really love this stuff. It dries down to a creamy woody/sweet smell that reminds me of waffles and pancakes but still maintains its masculinity through the well balanced wood notes. So for all of you who are into sweet fragrances try this one out.

I decided to get in contact with Eclectic Collections themselves and emailed them to enquire about the rest of their line-up and was told that they are and up and coming brand and they pride themselves on using natural notes as probably any rep would say but since I liked 7 Wonders Of The World so much I bought a bottle of it. Lol I pretty much laughed to myself when they said they were an up and coming brand because on their website their bottles were priced at like 90 USD which is about £45 but I know that they're probably having trouble selling their fragrances because they're selling for like £14-15. Whatever the reasons are...I don't care. They have some great fragrances.

Then I bought a few more bottles from them the following week. The first one I opened up was a fragrance called Autograph. Damn! Another good one which is probably a clone of Chanel Allure Homme with its citrus notes but it's not just a clone of Chanel it really is a smooth blend that lasts and projects probably a lot better than Chanel Allure which I also own. I wouldn't say it's better but Chanel fragrances which usually retail for £60 and this bottle of Autograph cost me £14 and it's an EDP at the 100ml size so who would complain about that?!

I then went on to open up Carte Blanche...wow. A tangerine, orange bomb that has an amazing woody dry down. Reminds me of one of those Hugo Boss fragrances. Can't remember which one but I believe it had Orlando Bloom as the poster boy? Well it smells exactly like that without smelling synthetic except this lasts a lot longer and projects hell of a lot more. Good for the warmer weather I suppose.

Then I opened up their fragrance called Aperitif and took a spritz of that to an untainted part of my forearm. It smelled really similar to Carte Blanche with the tangerine note but I detected lime and some sort of melon/cucumber note. It has an aquatic feel to it. The dry down is similar to Versace Eau Fraiche. Can't complain. Another one for the summer because damn...it sure does last a hell of a long time. Could still smell it on me the next day when I woke up.

Lastly I opened up Monument. This one was I dissappointed with because it had a ginger and spicy note to it still maintaining that orange, tangerine and lemon vibe that the rest of them carry. Don't get me wrong I'm sure if you like spicy, gingery fragrances then you'd probably like this but I hate ginger so decided to give that to my brother.

All in all I spent £67 for 5 fragrances and they even included samples of their other fragrances which to be honest they all smelt quite similar with one or two major note changes and that's my only gripe with them. But for anyone who is looking for a well blended, smooth, long lasting, good projection but easy on the pocket fragrance...I do suggest you try and get a sample of 7 Wonders Of The World and Autograph. Remember they are all EDP's! So usually one or two spritz is enough!

Their line-up slightly resembled the Perry Ellis brand where they try to clone a decent fragrance and add their own twist to it but I really can't say they're cloning anyone because nearly all of the notes smell really natural to me and they do add their own twist to it.

Hopefully someone else has tried these fragrances or hopefully I've helped someone bag a good but cheap fragrance to add to their collection. Either way I think Eclectic Collections should be checked out. Heck if you don't like it you won't be losing much money and I'm sure you could do a swap with someone on here if it's not to your taste.

(edit - just saw 7 Wonders Of The World on Galaxy Perfume for £8.32 for 100ml EDP and here's the note breakdown for you all as listed on their site: spicy elements fuse with rum and musk to create a warm long lasting sexy fragrance. Notes include Plum accord, Italian bergamont, Juniper, Cinnamon Bark, Jamaican rum, Agarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla Bean, Apple and a touch of class from Eclectic Collections) <--- BARGAIN!!1
    Last edited by supernaan; 1st December 2011 at 01:05 AM.

Default Re: Eclectic Collections

I found this company being sold on Fragrancenet in the US for prices comparable to those on the website you mentioned in the UK.
    Looking at their website they don't seem to give that much information about the company. Their contact info is in the US in Los Angeles. Would I be correct in assuming that they are US based?

Yes they are US based. California I think. Just a bit shocked that half decent fragrances which are being sold as 100ml EDP's can go for so cheap. There must be something wrong with them was my first thought but so far the fragrances seem pretty decent. http://www.eclectic-collections.com/ that's their website. Says they're a "dream team" from a reputable European company? A European company working from the U.S? Lol there's a fragrance there called Saga that's up for $1000. That has to be a joke considering the rest of their fragrances are going for dirt cheap.

Dear Supernaan and Hednic,

While browsing the net, I accidentally saw your opinions about Eclectic Collections. I thought it is important and proper to reply to you guys and explain some points regarding your reviews on the fragrances.

Actually, after reading your reviews, I was so impressed and told myself “These guys have more than enough knowledge and experience when it comes to fragrances”. It is a fact, therefore, that you two enjoy and like fragrances.

First of all I would like to thank you for the many compliments that you have given us from your various posts.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Moshe Yhudai, I am the President of Eclectic Collections.
    I would like to answer your questions, so you will be enlighten and learn more about my perfume lines as well.

Eclectic Collections fragrances are USA branded. They are all made in the USA, except for a few which comes from Italy. The oils are manufactured by European companies. The other components are coming from Taiwan, China, Korea, Italy and France. The fragrances, however, are filled and packed here in California, USA

And, YES, we are proud of our products. We have tried to come up (and we were successful) with new innovations regarding packing and producing the finest fragrances. On top of that, we have created only EDP fragrances in the strongest and most concentrated percentage of oil, with no irritation to the users. That is the very reason why we are different from the other perfume makers in the market today, not to mention famous designer brands. I guess you have realized that and of which I am grateful for.

Since your last reviews, we have launched a couple of new fragrances. The SAGA for men and SIGNED, SEALED & DELIVERED for women. When I have the chance, I will send you guys samples of these two new items. I would be grateful to hear your opinions. Your opinions will help us produce better products in the future.

Please do not let price mislead you in buying perfumes. Fragrances could be as great as it could be and yet cost less than famous brands.

The “7 Wonders of the World” was pulled out of the market because the packaging was not so impressive.

Your admiration to “Autograph” is understandable. Indeed, it is one of my favorite evening fragrances.
    Carte Blanche is one of our top of the lines. Decades from now, I think it will be considered as classic. It will be chosen by many picky users!

I hate to disappoint you, we do very well with our perfume line… That is the main reason why we keep growing and launching new fragrances...
    For your information, we have just released Carte Blanche in a gift set; 3.4 (100ml) EDP + 3.4 After Shave
    (http://www.colognes.com/CARTE-BLANCH...llections.aspx)

Aperitif is a direct result of Carte Blanche success. It is a stronger version and enhanced with grapefruit scent and manlier.

Regarding ‘Monument’, you were right. It is good fragrance, but, does not appeal to everyone in the world.

I have to confess; how could a knowledgeable person like you can claim ‘all smell quite similar with one or two major note changes‘? Our entire line is unique (with few exceptions) and appeal to different types of people for day and night ware. I totally disagree with you on this point.

One of the exceptions is Mona Lisa and ‘Signed, Sealed & Delivered’. After Mona Lisa’s success (which lead us to develop a makeup line), management decided to come up with a softer scent, which is ‘Signed, Sealed & Delivered’.

I wish you did not compare our products to Perry Ellis. Our designs and qualities are more in comparison to Gucci (it is our wish though) or Burberry of which I admire. The scent in each product is different. The packaging is colorful and the names (all trade marked) are interesting and meaningful.

After learning more of our products, I hope you will eventually agree with me.

Regarding your initial remarks. YES, WE DID LOSE MONEY on our first production due to very simple packaging. Since then, we have researched and learned to modify and invest as much as in designing glasses and boxes, as well as in the fragrance itself.

The SAGA was priced at $1,000.00 at that time because it was for display purposes only. I am sorry to mislead on that. We have launched it, and now for sale in its new packaging.
    You guys can reach us easily thru our site
    http://eclectic-collections.com/ and under ‘About us’
    http://eclectic-collections.com/about-us.html
    Email: sales@colognes.com my personal email; yuda@colognes.com or by phone: 213-622-3620 Ask for Yuda

Thanks again for your time and I will appreciate it if you keep me posted with your remarks and comments.

Hi Moshe Yhudai. Sorry if I offended you in anyway whatsoever. I really enjoyed most of your fragrances. It's just one mans opinion and everyone has a unique sense of smell. I just felt the citrus notes in particular were similar in a couple of the fragrances. However 7 Wonders Of The World was really unique and possibly my favourite one from your line-up. Pretty sad to here that you've pulled it from production. Will it be coming back with a newer bottle and better presentation perhaps?? I actually bought two bottles of that because I enjoyed it so much. I wasn't trying to be insulting either when I mentioned the prices. It's just that it was hard to get any information on your company and perfumiers when I tried to contact them but for some reason my emails would bounce so I thought the email was a dud. Well, I'm glad you read the post and would be happy to recieve samples from you and give you an honest opinion on your fragrance.

hey Supernaan, your post AND Eclectic's reply about these colognes made me buy it right away! I bought the 2 you recommended ( Autograph and 7 wonders) and also bought Carte Blanche! I smelled Carte Blanche at the mall today before coming to this site and had to get it. But the guy wanted $45 USD for it(I KNOW I can get a better price online and I did!) I saw you talking about the company and mentioning 7 wonders and that did it for me. So I hope they arrive soon and I HOPE they are also REALLY EDP strength and not bullsh*t. I bought all 3 for $71.09 USD! woohooooo

Nice thread. Love to find new fragrances.

Hey Sol1981. I could have sent you samples and decants over if you weren't so sure but you've ordered them already now, lol. After having owned and worn the fragrances from Eclectic's lineup for around 4-5 months now I believe I'm in a better position to give an opinion on them. The only good thing about them being EDP's is that some of the notes smell very natural. Even though it's an EDP it doesn't last longer than some of my EDT's that I have. It projects well for 3-4 hours before dying down to a close to the skin scent but it does last around 8-10 hours on my skin. Might be different for you. You should definitely get 7 Wonders. It's a very unique boozy scent with a plum/berry accord and it's being discontinued.

dude Autographs longevity sucks! I get 30 minutes and then it fades away! Carte Blanche is the only one that lasts, and i returned 7 wonders becuz fragrance.net shipped me a leaking bottle! but it did smell good when I had it becuz right after i sprayed on 7 wonders i went to a furniture store and immediately a girl there asked me " what cologne are you wearing , it smells good! im gonna get it for my boyfriend" too bad i had to send 7 wonders back. 7 wonders and autograph have the same problem, the staying power is god awful. I will not be buying from " Pathetic collections " again .

I hope you're reading this Moshe Yhudai of Eclectic Collections. You seem to have gone quiet after we criticised your fragrances.

Blog Entries

Just my opinion, but I think the content of private emails between individuals and companies should not be posted on a public forum.

It is impossible to please everyone, but I think it is more professional to keep the correspondence private.

Well, well, sol1981, you really come across as a greedy whinger in this exchange. Eclectic Collections tried to please you, and you threaten to use your "mighty power" as a Basenotes member to shame him. Are you 12 years old?
    Last edited by furrypine; 6th April 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Well, well, sol1981, you really come across as a greedy whinger in this exchange. Eclectic Collections tried to please you, and you threaten to use your "mighty power" as a Basenotes member to shame him. Are you 12 years old?
    I was thinking much the same.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think the content of private emails between individuals and companies should not be posted on a public forum.

It is impossible to please everyone, but I think it is more professional to keep the correspondence private.
    Agree.

Blog Entries

Here's the thing:

A perfume has to speak for itself; it should not have to be bolstered up by its creator coming on here and arguing its merits. This forum is a place where we who love perfume can put our impressions out there safely, without the discussion being suppressed by fear of unintentionally offending its creator who is on the same thread.

Do we see other perfumers coming on BN and complaining about the reviews we give their fragrances?
    Do we see them peevishly chiding us for not perceiving all the notes in their creations, or finding their perfumes too similar to each other or to other fragrances?

Any form of art receives criticism. The artist/author/perfumer has to grow a thick skin-- it's part of the business.

Any business has problematic customers; they need to be dealt with privately according to your company's policy. Shaming them publicly on a thread where they have criticized your perfume seems retaliatory, and does not strengthen the company's image. If you wrestle in the mud with your enemy, you get mud on yourself as well.