Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Red face All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 2, 2011 *** GOURMAND

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Nov. 2011
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.

I'm ready for something yummy and sweet. How about you?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 2, 2011 *** GOURMAND

I'll be there.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 2, 2011 *** GOURMAND

Yay!

Blog Entries

I am starting a weekend of gourmands on Friday with an Ava Luxe sync.
    I am in Milk by Ava Luxe, perfume oil. Here's a description from her website:
    A gentle milk perfume, slightly sweet, with a soft and airy musk base. Soothing and cozy.

Notes: Milk, Vanilla, Musk.

Fragrance family
    GOURMAND

I like it. I wore Jo Malone Sweet Milk a lot this year, so I can compare the two.
    I think Ava Luxe's Milk is an older one, but I cannot really be sure. I do know that Malone's Sweet Milk is recent, a part of 2010 Tea Collection.
    I find both fragrances invoking milk. I smell it and cannot think of anything else. My husband though smelled me today and said "candy". I was surprised because Ava Luxe's Milk did not come across as all that sweet for me, especially at first. At first it made me think of unsweetened evaporated milk. Now, two hours in, it does smell sweeter, still a comforting milky smell.
    A big difference between Sweet Milk and Milk is the floral top notes in Sweet Milk. I believe it's violets and something else. I noticed them only after many wears, at first the fragrance was just milky for me.

I'd love to day more, but this will have to be it for now since I need to get going off to work.

I don't have any gourmands, I don't like the ones I have tried. maybe I'll find one amongst my samples.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Okay was going for something else but then decided to grab my sample of Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I HATE sugary ultra sweet vanillas, they make my teeth ache just sniffing them.

SDV has a booze like vibe as if it had been put in oak barrels and left for ten years to mature.
    DONNA

This is my least favourite category, since I usually don't like gourmands, but I decided to go along anyway because my scent preferences have changed a lot over the past year (I am now eagerly exploring leather scents, unthinkable to me two years ago). Alas, I still don't "get" the allure of gourmands....I tried a sample of "Love - Don't by Shy" by Kilian I still had lying around. It is said to be inspired by the marshmellow. And, yes, it is very, very, sweet. Very caramelly, in fact to me, the caramel dominates it so much I can't really perceive much else. But I'm not giving up! I'm going to let this scent accompany me for the next few hours - I'm going to see this through to the end *waves fist and clenches teeth*...

Okay, EDIT: I might have to wear this more often, as it seems to make my SO go wild. He is absolutely smitten and says I smell like an Austrian "Germknödel":

Last edited by Klute; 3rd December 2011 at 06:17 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I love gourmands, they give orientals a serious run for the money for my favorite scent family.

Today I'm wearing Vanille, a fragrance from DSH Perfumes. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz is the lovely, formidable talent behind this perfume house and has a dizzying array of beautiful, unique offerings that are off the beaten path yet never too conceptual to be highly wearable. OT - I once had the great good fortune to actually share a meal with Dawn and some perfume pals after a Sniffa event and she is just a delight.

Back to Vanille. It's sweet and dense but not cloying. I get a slight touch of acidic citrus (or maybe even freshly cut pineapple??) up top with a hint of sandalwood as it dries down. Far from just a simple, one-note vanilla yet it's extremely comfy and easy to wear.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

THanks to Matilda Ben, I have a little atomizer of Annick Goutal's Vanille Exquise and decided to wear it for today's Sniff n' speak. Matilda Ben says it drives her hubby wild (my paraphrase) so it came with a strong recommendation. I normally have to approach gourmand scents very carefully, I often find them nauseating, I prefer to eat my food rather than wear it, however I am charmed by Vanille Exquise. Not too sweet, I don't know if its the wood and musk in its base that anchors the vanilla and almond, but that may be what is making it so enjoyable for me. I see this as a solid, snuggly comfort scent, especially as winter approaches. Here is an eloquent blog that states it better than I can and makes interesting analysis of each note:
    http://legerdenez.blogspot.com/2006/...e-exquise.html
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

l will be wearing Dior Addict to go out with my bf this evening, having finally bought a bottle just yesterday! l find it a rich, sweet & spicy amber-vanilla with caramel-like overtones. lt strikes me as quite similar to the drydown of Obsession, with a touch more sweetness; very warming & comforting for a winter's night. And the sillage & longevity are great on my skin.

l will report back later on the bf's verdict!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Gourmand is one of my favorite scent categories but, as Tdem notes, it isn’t often that I find one that is highly wearable rather than just cute and/or conceptual. Sometimes they can get too sweet and syrupy even for me, particularly in oil form. Tdem, I love it when sweet scents have a citrus/acidic component to balance the syrupy sweetness. That freshly cut pineapple in Vanille sounds nice!]

For December Sniff ‘n Speak this morning I’m sampling Prada Candy. The first time I sniffed it was in Saks at our NOLA meet up, but I was so overwhelmed by the countless fragrances I was sniffing then that I couldn’t pay much attention to this. It was pretty unremarkable next to some others we were sniffing. Saks gave us samples of Prada Candy in our gift bags, so last week was my first serious sampling of it. A couple of hours or so after applying it struck me that I was smelling a mix of Coty Wild Musk oil, vanilla extract, and sugar syrup (caramel). Nothing wrong with that at all, perfectly pleasant for many of us in fact, but really nothing to get all excited about. Today, it’s hitting me pretty much the same. Sweet and very pleasant, but I already have fragrances like this. There will always be a place in my wardrobe for a sweet, musky, vanillic/caramel scent. The good thing about Prada Candy is that it is very wearable in an everyday all-occasion sense, and the packaging/marketing is charming (and clever – I’m sure they know their market - young). If I owned a bottle I’d probably wear it fairly often; however, there are others I’d sooner have. Klute…I looooove by Kilian’s Love, Don’t Be Shy. That one has the real-deal “wow” factor for me.

Notes include musks, caramel, benzoin.

I'm joining in today with Ginestet Botrytis. This is a first time sampling for me, and so far it is smoky honey. I'm eagerly waiting the Sauternes producing noble rot of the name.

To think I once avoided this category.
    This year I could hardly choose from my growing collection of gourmands.
    I finally went with Néonatura Coccon. No regrets.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

It's cute that this thread is named Blind sniff Saturday December the 2nd.
    When it is actually December the 3rd
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Oh details, details Frou Frou

Klute What is the translation of "Germknödel" ...y' all know what it resembles just sitting on the plate ... LOL

Like many, I am not immediately attracted to the ultra sweet gourmands, but as a genre, it's growing on me. My one big purchas in Nola was a gourmand.

Today I'm in a perfume oil called "Mandarin Breeze" from Essence Boston- Those juicy little oranges are alive in this.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I knew I'd get here eventually! As posted in the sotd thread -

Sun's gone, it's gotten cooler and now I'm wanting that snuggly gourmand. I'm in L de Lolita Lempicka, created by Maurice Roucel in 2006.

Here's a bit from the Lolita Lempicka website -

"The salty kiss of the Everlasting Flower ...Bergamot creates a luminous opening, which is accompanied by a burst of bitter Orange. The salty and spicy notes of Everlasting Flower merge at the heart with the sensuous and woody notes of Musks and Cinnamon Bark. It leaves a sweeping wake of Vanilla that lingers, underscored by mellow Tonka Bean and Mysore Sandalwood."

Hmm ...I get Snickerdoodles.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

bleu autumn haze

I'm maybe cheating a bit for today's gourmand SnS ... I'm wearing Un Bois Vanille. And while the notes are certainly mouth-watering and very gourmand-ish sounding, UBV has a dark, non edible side. It's a marshmallow singed over a flame, caramel that has almost been allowed to burn, coconut toasted a tad too long ... But no, these aren't bad things, they are part of what makes UBV so darn interesting. Add to this a large dose of smoky wood and this is one of the most grown-up vanillas ever. A gourmand for those that don't like their scents too sweet.

I don't know why I don't own a bottle of this yet ... I've gone through several decants and it has been at the top of my wish list forever! Maybe this is the year I finally make this my own.

notes: Black vanilla absolute, licorice, sandalwood, coconut milk, beeswax, caramelized benzoin, bitter almond, Gaiac wood, tonka bean

Basenotes Plus

I added "Eau de Shalimar" this afternoon and have been enjoying it immensely. The topnotes conjur up a nice little lemon meringue tarte in scent.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I'm maybe cheating a bit for today's gourmand SnS ... I'm wearing Un Bois Vanille. And while the notes are certainly mouth-watering and very gourmand-ish sounding, UBV has a dark, non edible side. It's a marshmallow singed over a flame, caramel that has almost been allowed to burn, coconut toasted a tad too long ... But no, these aren't bad things, they are part of what makes UBV so darn interesting. Add to this a large dose of smoky wood and this is one of the most grown-up vanillas ever. A gourmand for those that don't like their scents too sweet.

I don't know why I don't own a bottle of this yet ... I've gone through several decants and it has been at the top of my wish list forever! Maybe this is the year I finally make this my own.

notes: Black vanilla absolute, licorice, sandalwood, coconut milk, beeswax, caramelized benzoin, bitter almond, Gaiac wood, tonka bean
    Add one fan here, for Un Bois Vanille, for the reasons you describe here...I need something "inedible" as they say in my gourmand ish scents, or they just don't work for me. I've certainly drained a number of samples of this one too...
    thanks for posting your impressions, shadesofblue
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Well, the bf's verdict on Dior Addict was; "it's alright, a bit flowery"!?! Actually, that's quite a positive response coming from him, (he does have a history of sinus problems!) but as l hadn't detected any floral notes myself, l was a little taken aback. However, on sniffing more intently, l did notice perhaps some jasmine in there. And now that l've looked up the notes on Fragrantica, l see that there is a wonderful-sounding "night flower" note. lt also apparently has a berry note; thank goodness l don't get that at all. lf l'd seen that first, l probably would never have tried it! As it is, l simply find it a rich, sweet & deliciously dark vanilla, & last night's clothes still smelled gorgeous this morning.
    So l'm wearing it again this evening, & l'll be spraying my sheets with it before l go to bed tonight. Yummmmmm
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Oh details, details Frou Frou

Klute What is the translation of "Germknödel" ...y' all know what it resembles just sitting on the plate ... LOL

Like many, I am not immediately attracted to the ultra sweet gourmands, but as a genre, it's growing on me. My one big purchas in Nola was a gourmand.

Today I'm in a perfume oil called "Mandarin Breeze" from Essence Boston- Those juicy little oranges are alive in this.

It's a yeast dumpling with plum filling and vanilla sauce...it's very yummy and VERY filling!

I wore Pink Sugar for old times' sake to a party last night. I still love it, not so much the first half hour or so, but the musky drydown.

I agree that Un Bois Vanille is elegant, adult, and has that additional inedible touch that elevates its status beyond a mere dessert fragrance.

Loved reading all your posts.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    It's a yeast dumpling with plum filling and vanilla sauce...it's very yummy and VERY filling!
    Thank you, sounds YUMMMMMMM.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I wore Pink Sugar for old times' sake to a party last night. I still love it, not so much the first half hour or so, but the musky drydown.

I agree that Un Bois Vanille is elegant, adult, and has that additional inedible touch that elevates its status beyond a mere dessert fragrance.

Loved reading all your posts.
    Pink Sugar is one of my guilty pleasures! It's so sweet, nut sometimes I crave this!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love the Chocolovers by Aquolina, I have a bottle & wear it often. Chocolate-y nutty goodness! Love the hazelnut and spiciness in this one. Too bad it's discontinued, it's really good! I have yet to try the Pink Sugar, it's on my list though!