Code of Conduct

Default So here's my big complaint about Guerlain's Tonka Imperiale...

It's around $400+ at the Guerlain counter in Japan. No joke.

I ordered a decant of this somewhere around the end of July, after hearing it's praises from several Basenoter's with similar tastes to my own. I wore it once in August (in extreme heat and humidity), and at the time found it "nice", but not something I wanted to wear in the heat, so I forgot about it. I just remembered that I had it today when I was considering what to wear, so I dug up the decant and sprayed it on.

Totally different than what I remembered. It's like a tanked up SDV. Sweet, slightly boozy, rich, a tad bit low key and just beautiful in the cold. Almost has a bit of the same vibe as Frapin's 1270 (which is a favorite of mine) going on that I didn't pick up when I wore it in the summer's heat. Longevity isn't outstanding from what I can tell, but I could just be suffering a bit from fatigue, and am going to go lighter on the trigger next time I wear it. Still, I got about six hours without having to put my nose up to my skin, and I can still smell it on my arm going on a little after seven hours now.

Now, back to the initial problem. The nearest counter that even stocks this redefines the idea of an inflated price. Japan indulges in some pretty big liberties with some of their markups, but this just takes the cake. As much as I'm really liking this I won't shell out $400+ for it, especially considering it sells in the States for $235. The only bummer with that, is that the only places I can find in the US that stock this have a rather strict US only shipping policy, which also doesn't help me much.

However, in the past, I've stumbled across several fantastic European sites (especially ones based in the UK) who will offer international shipping and great prices on many exclusive scents. I've checked all my regular European internet haunts, but haven't stumbled across it yet, and Google for some reason never picks up on any good stores, as currently even the ones that I buy from always seem to fly right under Google's radar somehow.

If anyone knows anyplace to get a bottle of this that will ship worldwide, I'd greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

If you don't know, and/or would rather talk about how much you like or dislike Tonka Imperiale, you could do that here also.

Default Re: So here's my big complaint about Guerlain's Tonka Imperiale...

Have you tried to contact Guerlain's boutique in Paris?

Tel: 00 33 1 45 62 52 57 or champs-elysees@guerlain.fr

There's only two places in the UK where you can buy it, Harrods (who don't sell it online) and a single Selfridges store in London (also not available online and they won't post outside of the UK).

Thats one of the reasons I'm running a split of it, Such a great winter fragrance and not the easiest thing to purchase if you live outside of London or Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    There's only two places in the UK where you can buy it, Harrods (who don't sell it online) and a single Selfridges store in London (also not available online and they won't post outside of the UK).

Thats one of the reasons I'm running a split of it, Such a great winter fragrance and not the easiest thing to purchase if you live outside of London or Paris.
    I agree, man. It's a fantastic winter fragrance! If you don't mind me asking, how much can you pick it up for at either one of those stores in the UK?

maybe find a generous basenoter stateside who would be willing to purchase and then ship it out to you in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by john916 View Post
    maybe find a generous basenoter stateside who would be willing to purchase and then ship it out to you in Japan?
    Technically I could just try and pull that one myself, as I do have a Stateside address that they could ship it to, and I could just pick it up later this month when I'm there visiting. However, I'm impatient, and am not sure if they'll let me use my Japanese credit card to order something that's going to be shipped to the US. Worth a shot I suppose though. Maybe Neiman Marcus will have some sort of "free shipping" sale in the near future.

Got my 30ml from a split. That's the only way I could afford it. Love the bottle and the fragrance, but in my opinion it's not worth the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I agree, man. It's a fantastic winter fragrance! If you don't mind me asking, how much can you pick it up for at either one of those stores in the UK?
    The French chap on the Selfridges Guerlain counter said the 75ml was retailing for £175.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Love the bottle and the fragrance, but in my opinion it's not worth the asking price.
    Agreed. I rather like this one, but I don't find it to be one that I would wear that frequently, and therefore can't really justify the cost. I was just about set on buying this the last time I was in Vegas until I heard the price; had it been around the $100-$125 range I would have gotten it, but over $200 for a fragrance I would only wear a few times a year just wasn't reasonable for me.

I am dying to add it to my collection. It's on my Christmas wish list, the list I'm sending myself. I have a feeling that I might get everything on that list if I'm really good between now and Christmas. . .

Tried this at one of Guerlain's trunk shows at Nieman Marcus and thought it was nice.

The French chap on the Selfridges Guerlain counter said the 75ml was retailing for £175.
    Wow. Even that's pretty steep. I'm surprised, as some of the best prices I've gotten on NIB bottles have mostly come out of the UK. Amouage, Serge Lutens, Lubin etc. have all been priced (including shipping) better in the UK than 90% of the US providers. I would have thought Guerlain would have followed the same pattern, being closer and all. I wonder why it sells cheaper in the US.

SDV is priced at £150 in Harrods and is, IMHO, superior to TI...

I like it but found it a bit too sweet. Coulda used soe vetiver or resins.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    SDV is priced at £150 in Harrods and is, IMHO, superior to TI...
    Ahh, I can't stand SDV. IMHO it just doesn't work on males, The opening goes too acidic and 'funky' (in a bad way) and the main essence the Vanilla pales in comparison to a select few alternates.

Its one of my least favourites from Guerlain.

@Partario - Nordstrom now stocks this. Check their website and see if they ship international.

I definitely agree about being around the same vibe as Frapin 1270. Of the two I prefer the Frapin even though I like Tonka Imperiale. I just don't love it especially at the asking price.

A split would be your cheapest option
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM