Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Leather and lavender?

Are there any leather and lavender prominent fragrances? I've never smelled one, but I'm thinking the combo would be most impressive. Ideas?

Default Re: Leather and lavender?

It's a good question, Mike. We were going to ask you.
    You probably tried this but an impressive list appears if you do a notes search for this. Of those that appear, none that I know has prominent leather, though. Might Salvador Dali PH almost qualify? It also suggests Yatagan, but I don't get much lavender.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 26th January 2009 at 11:59 PM.

Zino Davidoff?
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Dunhill for Men (1934)
    Francesco Smalto pour Homme
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th January 2009 at 02:44 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Salvador Dali does not smell like lavender and leather - the aldehydes kind of took over and it became a leather, chemical, floral mess on me. Sturdy, but not my thing.

I thought Zino supposedly smelled like Heritage by Guerlain? If so, then Zino won't smell like the notes I have in my head (!) In fact, I think I might've sampled Zino, but it was way back in the day, and now I can't remember. Maybe I need to smell it again.

I've never smelled Dunhill for Men or Francesco Smalto. Somehow, they both sound very powerful, like 80's masculine powerhouses. Are they?

The scent I'm hoping to find is one that handles these two notes delicately. Hope that make sense.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th January 2009 at 03:43 AM.

Lavender is cheap and easy to find in EDT sprays. Maybe you should try one of those with your favorite, currently owned leather fragrance and see if it adds to it. I think it might.

Alright, you want it, you got it.

I will repost in a few minutes with comments on:
    Royal English Leather
    and
    Nasomatto Duro

mixed with equal sprays of lavender EDT.

Basenotes Institution

I wore Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford this morning and this stuff LASTS (it lasted thru a hot soapy shower - this RARELY happens with me) and then when I put my Gris Clair on top of it, I could smell both the medicinal lavender and the tangy TL leather note underneath. Which is why I posted this thread - it smelled so good!

It got me thinking, is there a fragrance that combines these two, without me having to layer the two?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th January 2009 at 04:01 AM.

The new Guerlain Homme has it...at least to my nose. It is mostly in the drydown. After the herbs mellow a bit, there is a mixture of that medicinal herb effect with a sharp leather.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The new Guerlain Homme has it...at least to my nose. It is mostly in the drydown. After the herbs mellow a bit, there is a mixture of that medicinal herb effect with a sharp leather.
    Thanks - I have only smelled this once on my wrist. I need to give Guerlain Homme a full wearing one-of-these days. It's such a polarizing scent here on BN. I guess I have to choose sides. LOL.

Well, you know me--I just do what my nose says. I really enjoyed GH even though intellectually I know it is not a masterpiece. But, we all need a Bruce Willis formulaic action flik once in a while, and I figure the analogy holds for fragrances...

The original Carlo Corinto (which just happens to be on my swap list, due my dislike of lavender).

I'm not sure about Duro, but it seems to go OK with Royal English Leather. When I take a long breathe, I get the leather and sweetness of the Creed perfume, and near the end of my deep beathe I get the lavender. I guess it adds a dimension to it.

Two Roads maybe right on the Francesco Smalto..it does have that mighty mote of lavender and yes, it's hyper potent. leather well, ot exactly a leather base, but is certainly there...

the one that comes to my mind is Lagerfeld Photo...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I thought Zino supposedly smelled like Heritage by Guerlain? If so, then Zino won't smell like the notes I have in my head (!)
    I do not think it does. It has an awesome lavender and it has a warm bronwnish note, but I am not sure whether it is leather or not. Hence the "?".

I was actually looking for some input, so you probably should not pay attention anyway. Leather is such a mysterious note for me. I have never smelled anything that smells like actual leather; even Knize Ten (new formulation) smells like the chemicals used to cure (is that the right translation?), Tan and lubricate animal skin, but not like leather. I should know, I have lived too many years in a city whose main industry was production and manufacturing of leather goods.

And when people say that duro has this note, I am lost.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I am going to try layering Gris Clair with some leather tomorrow tonight.
    Last edited by moltening; 27th January 2009 at 06:05 AM.

I saw this thread earlier and I was trying to think of a scent that was heavy on both and nothing was coming to me.

Then it hit me... Dolce & Gabbana By Man.

Lots of lavender and leather in this one. A few other things, but those are the main players to my nose.

Definitely D&G By Man. The leather isn't prominent, but there's a leathery quality to the fragrance, and there's definitely lavender in the mix, too.

None of the above mentioned scents smell like lavender&leather to my nose if not just very faintly. I think it's an interesting match Mike, but also a tricky one and maybe nobody has yet had the gupts to put out something prominent in lavender and leather on the marked.
    Maybe we should try layering Fougère Bengale and Cuir Ottoman...

I wore Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford this morning and this stuff LASTS (it lasted thru a hot soapy shower - this RARELY happens with me) and then when I put my Gris Clair on top of it, I could smell both the medicinal lavender and the tangy TL leather note underneath. Which is why I posted this thread - it smelled so good!
    I noticed in your wardrobe that you used to own Tuscan Leather. Was the Tuscan Leather you tried this morning from a sample or do you still own a bottle?
    Last edited by PJX007; 27th January 2009 at 04:38 PM.

how about something mild, lavender wise like Azzaro Pure Lavender or Caron Pour un Homme, and toss something fierce on top like Knize Ten or Cuir d'Iris?

This may be a little harsher than you're looking for but on my skin, Trussardi Uomo is a leather and lavender POWERHOUSE. It's got huge projection and insane longevity, but it is very eighties and not at all subtle. I like it but I have to be in a mood to wear it!

I'm getting more intrigued as I think about Mike's question. I think it would be interesting as a leather chypre like Aramis with a big shot of dry, herbal/medicinal lavender. Someone find this stuff.

How about PdN New York? I get lavender in the middle, and leather on the bottom

Thought to some candidates meanwhile...
    Gianfranco Ferre for man (1986) herbal citrus-lavender opening with mossy soapy leather in the drydown
    Paloma Picasso Minotaure: classic fougère opening with a lavender touch and animal leathery undertones in the base
    Caron Yatagan: ok ok, another one that goes far beyond the simple lavender and leather, yet it's empowered by both of them.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The original Carlo Corinto (which just happens to be on my swap list, due my dislike of lavender).
    I am thinking I smelled this a LONG time ago, but I can't remember. Need to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post
    I'm not sure about Duro, but it seems to go OK with Royal English Leather. When I take a long breathe, I get the leather and sweetness of the Creed perfume, and near the end of my deep beathe I get the lavender. I guess it adds a dimension to it.
    Yes, the combo is very nice. Although Duro's leather is much more sweeter and denser than Tuscan Leather's almost berry-like leather tanginess.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Two Roads maybe right on the Francesco Smalto..it does have that mighty mote of lavender and yes, it's hyper potent. leather well, ot exactly a leather base, but is certainly there...

the one that comes to my mind is Lagerfeld Photo...
    OK, I'll try the FS.

Lagerfeld Photo I've never smelled either. Added to the list.

Minotaure, Brut and Tabac Blond - think leather fougere.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Leather is such a mysterious note for me. I have never smelled anything that smells like actual leather...
    So have you smelled Tuscan Leather? Gosh, it smells so much like leather, it's quite realistic. Not like birch tar. Rather like a leather handbag or automobile interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I saw this thread earlier and I was trying to think of a scent that was heavy on both and nothing was coming to me.

Then it hit me... Dolce & Gabbana By Man.

Lots of lavender and leather in this one. A few other things, but those are the main players to my nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Definitely D&G By Man. The leather isn't prominent, but there's a leathery quality to the fragrance, and there's definitely lavender in the mix, too.
    OK, that's good news since I just got sample of By Man. Will have to seek it out and sniff it. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    None of the above mentioned scents smell like lavender&leather to my nose if not just very faintly. I think it's an interesting match Mike, but also a tricky one and maybe nobody has yet had the gupts to put out something prominent in lavender and leather on the marked...
    Looking at the list, I'm thinking the same thing Magnifiscent, but as I said I haven't smelled some of these. Many scents feature these scents together 'in-the-mix' but I want something that's lavender and leather prominent.

Hey Mike, the reason I asked my question was I wanted to know if you still felt Tuscan Leather was bottle worthy for you. Just curious, that's all....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PJX007 View Post
    I noticed in your wardrobe that you used to own Tuscan Leather. Was the Tuscan Leather you tried this morning from a sample or do you still own a bottle?
    It was from a decant that another Basenoter gave me, I have never owned a bottle of TL. However, it is the one TF Private Blend I would buy a full bottle of. It's that good. I keep trying other leather scents, but none of them really 'get' me like TL and Dzing!

Quote Originally Posted by scentseeker View Post
    This may be a little harsher than you're looking for but on my skin, Trussardi Uomo is a leather and lavender POWERHOUSE. It's got huge projection and insane longevity, but it is very eighties and not at all subtle. I like it but I have to be in a mood to wear it!
    I had a bottle of TU and sorry but it was not very leather/lavender prominent on me. It also had a huge aldehydic opening to me. Total turn off. I gave the bottle to my Dad (an ex Marine) and he loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I'm getting more intrigued as I think about Mike's question. I think it would be interesting as a leather chypre like Aramis with a big shot of dry, herbal/medicinal lavender. Someone find this stuff.
    I know, right!?

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    How about PdN New York? I get lavender in the middle, and leather on the bottom
    Tried NY. Too...chypre-ish for what I'm looking for. NY is more moss-y than I want.

It's funny though, when I came up with this idea I tried to think of a line that might already have a scent like this, and the first one I thought of was Parfums de Nicolai. She has such odd combos in her scents. Nonetheless, I don't think NY is what I'm looking for.

Blog Entries

i think the By Man suggestions earn some merit...as i do think this has a 'leathery feel' like bbBD said...not necessarily a leather scent per se....but has the notes that might satisfy your craving.

i do agree about Tuscan Leather's lasting power....it is an absolute longetivity monster....great scent as well. cocaine notes in it...very unique.

i'm struggling to find a good suggestion for a lavender and leather scent...but i've turned on my brain and i'll let it simmer for a while...

Basenotes Institution

Thought to some candidates meanwhile...
    Gianfranco Ferre for man (1986) herbal citrus-lavender opening with mossy soapy leather in the drydown
    Paloma Picasso Minotaure: classic fougère opening with a lavender touch and animal leathery undertones in the base
    Caron Yatagan: ok ok, another one that goes far beyond the simple lavender and leather, yet it's empowered by both of them.
    I haven't tried Ferre for Man, thanks. I have tried Minotaure at an airport duty free and I thought it was VERY strong and not what I'm looking for. Yatagan I love, but I don't smell much lavender in it, I get lot's of other intense kitchen herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Minotaure, Brut and Tabac Blond - think leather fougere.
    I've tried all three of these and I dont' get the lavender/leather connection in any of them. Although I think TB would smell great layered with a lavender scent.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i think the By Man suggestions earn some merit...as i do think this has a 'leathery feel' like bbBD said...not necessarily a leather scent per se....but has the notes that might satisfy your craving.

i do agree about Tuscan Leather's lasting power....it is an absolute longetivity monster....great scent as well. cocaine notes in it...very unique.

i'm struggling to find a good suggestion for a lavender and leather scent...but i've turned on my brain and i'll let it simmer for a while...
    I'll try the By Man and report back soon.

Mike, this is your golden opportunity to create such a scent. Get in touch with Profumo.it
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 28th January 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Mike,
    try to find 17|17 Homme by XerJoff - it is gorgeous leather with flowers and woods. Lavender is there too, but a little shy.
    The same brand producing scent Kobe (in Parfum concentration) which is Citrus with lavender and oud (not birchtar, but still leather-like) in sillage.

But something inside of me tells me that transparent aromatic lavender and warm and pungent leather\birchtar just can not work together. Like stars and cubes, like oil and water. They co-exists, but not co-operates.
    They need some mediators and facilitators in between, maybe?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    But something inside of me tells me that transparent aromatic lavender and warm and pungent leather\birchtar just can not work together. Like stars and cubes, like oil and water. They co-exists, but not co-operates.
    Sure they need some mediators but it's the contrast or let's say the dialogue between the airy greeness of the herbal lavender coupled with the warmness of leather making it interesting. I do really like frags with a bit of dissonance when it's well managed, like it happens for many modern music composers using dissonance with incredible effects.
    Maybe it would need a floral-powdery carpet like iris or geranium or a resinous animalic-pollenic layer like beeswax to make then live together...

Endymion by Penhaligons and Aventure by iL Profumo. I had samples of both and while I'm not a fan, I must say I liked Endymion enough to warrant a decant buy maybe.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Mike, this is your golden opportunity to create such a scent. Get in touch with Profumo.it
    Hmmm - good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Mike,
    try to find 17|17 Homme by XerJoff - it is gorgeous leather with flowers and woods. Lavender is there too, but a little shy.
    The same brand producing scent Kobe (in Parfum concentration) which is Citrus with lavender and oud (not birchtar, but still leather-like) in sillage.

Thanks for the rec - I have never heard of the XerJoff line.

And yes, I am totally open to the fact that if I ever do get my hands on a prominent leather/lavender scent I might actually not like it. But still...I'll risk it.

Sure they need some mediators but it's the contrast or let's say the dialogue between the airy greeness of the herbal lavender coupled with the warmness of leather making it interesting. I do really like frags with a bit of dissonance when it's well managed...
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Endymion by Penhaligons and Aventure by iL Profumo. I had samples of both and while I'm not a fan, I must say I liked Endymion enough to warrant a decant buy maybe.
    Haven't smelled either of these. Thanks javagreen.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd February 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    i tried Aventure and i hated it! it was like a generic fragrance made quite well....but very very boring to the point of bland.

I've never smelled Dunhill for Men or Francesco Smalto. Somehow, they both sound very powerful, like 80's masculine powerhouses. Are they?
    I just picked up a bottle of Dunhill for Men. It's not at all an '80s powerhouse. In fact, it's a very 1930s scent: heavy but restrained (if that makes sense). I wears pretty close to the skin. I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but I really recommend it on its own merits. I don't love the top notes, which seem kind of busy to me, but it soon settles into a classic floral fougere (like a distant ancestor of Caron's 3rd Man). But it gets really great in the dry down, when the leather and cedar notes start to emerge. Its development is both surprising and coherent. A real classic!

I have not tried Dunhill for Men but I can surely tell you that Francesco Smalto pour homme is a very potent fragrance. I remember getting a bottle cheap online and didnt really get a chance to wear it because I had to give it as a gift to my friend. Now everytime I would meet him, I could smell him from a distance. The sillage was terrific. I would be looking to buy a bottle of this soon.

Blog Entries

dunhill for men is not even close to being a leather scent though...more about spices and all.....
    Last edited by everso; 4th February 2009 at 12:31 AM.

My contribution here reflects my research skills, not my fragrance knowledge.

Corduroy by Zirh is described by a user (not on Basenotes) as a 'soft leather lavender fragrance'

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124511.html

top notes
    Aquacoral, Grapefruit, Mandarin, White Lavender

heart note
    Bay Rum Accord, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Davana, Suede

base note
    Virginian Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Guaiac Wood,vanilla, Kashmir Wood

dunhill for men is not even close to being a leather scent though...more about spices and all.....
    There's a definite leather note in it, but I'd agree that I wouldn't call it a leather scent (and if I disagreed with everso on this issue, who'd believe me anyway ! ).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    I just picked up a bottle of Dunhill for Men. It's not at all an '80s powerhouse. In fact, it's a very 1930s scent: heavy but restrained (if that makes sense). I wears pretty close to the skin. I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but I really recommend it on its own merits. I don't love the top notes, which seem kind of busy to me, but it soon settles into a classic floral fougere (like a distant ancestor of Caron's 3rd Man). But it gets really great in the dry down, when the leather and cedar notes start to emerge. Its development is both surprising and coherent. A real classic!
    Very interesting. Your description of DFH intrigues me, so maybe I'll try it.

I know that there are very restrained leather base notes, that I quite enjoy (Hermessence: Poivre Samarcande by Hermes comes to mind), so if this how it's handled great. But you didn't mention lavender in your comment above.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    ... Francesco Smalto pour homme is a very potent fragrance. I remember getting a bottle cheap online and didnt really get a chance to wear it because I had to give it as a gift to my friend. Now everytime I would meet him, I could smell him from a distance. The sillage was terrific. I would be looking to buy a bottle of this soon.
    As I thought. Still, I am more concerned whether it smells like leather/lavender and less concerned about it's longevity/sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Corduroy by Zirh is described by a user (not on Basenotes) as a 'soft leather lavender fragrance'
    I tried Corduroy (when someone recommended it on my Cinnamon thread) and did not like it at all. If it does feature leather/lavender it sits underneath a blanket of synthetic accords I would never be able to enjoy. Thanks anyway!

Basenotes Institution

I tried By Man, but again, I didn't really hone in on the lavender and leather aspects of the scent - rather the combination of the disparate elements combining together. Nice frag. But not what I'm looking for.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Dior Homme was them both listed.
    unico grande amore.

Try Quorum.
    Unfortunately I think they nixed the lavender in Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Close call: Azzaro Ph, slightly lavender-scented opening, slightly leathery drydown.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 16th June 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Where's Jo Malone when you need her? Quorum & Azzaro PH come close but Quorum lacks the lavender and Azzaro PH lacks the leather. Perhaps L&L mix like oil and water?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

Roberto Cavali 'Man' is supposed to have lavender & leather, etc.

http://www.osmoz.com/fragrances/Haut...O-CAVALLI-MAN#

It doesn't have leather, but have you tried 'Delrae's Illuminee'? It's such a good lavender for this time of year. Very uplifting, I find.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th June 2009 at 08:57 PM.

I don't know about a prominent combination of these notes but maybe the following will generate a few more suggestions:

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...&submit=search

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

combining tuscan leather with gris clair sounds utterly compelling, i'm going to have to go and layer them in-store!

tuscan leather is actually all i can think about recently. it really is amazing.

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone tried Enigme by Paco Rabanne? Gosh what an ugly bottle!

-- Jack Kerouac

Has anyone tried Enigme by Paco Rabanne? Gosh what an ugly bottle!
    Mike that has to be the ugliest bottle I have ever seen and by the review below it, it smells as ugly as it looks. Maybe it will be awarded the basenotes ugliest bottle ever award.lol

Basenotes Institution

It's so bad, it's actually sort of cool.

-- Jack Kerouac

Maxims pour Homme