Code of Conduct

Default Re: what do you think about paco rabanne pour homme?

master piece.

love it. I need to own this again soon!

I was going to say a masterpiece too. Paco's been around for a long time. Keeps falling out of favor, over and over and over again... yet keeps popping back up.

I see Paco Rabanne PH as an important historical step in the development of the deep-voiced modern masculine, but a little too crude, too stuffy to actually wear these days.

Still streets ahead of most of the stuff available at your local department store, though.

It's my favorite fragrance.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Sur la Plage

It used to be good - now it's not.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree, almost.

Vintage Paco Rabanne is superb. The current version is a decent fragrance, but different than the old one.

The vintage version is a lot greener and more resinous than what you find on the shelves now, which is a lighter, more one dimensional fragrance which smells primarily of soap.

Wonderful scent.

Vintage Paco is a superb scent. The recent formulation harms my olfactory receptors in the first 10 minutes and then fades to a soapy waft.
    Last edited by easyfish; 29th April 2011 at 07:29 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

One of my favourites and firsts. Loved it since the late 70s. The current version, while still very good on its own merits, is just a shadow of how wonderful PRpH was when it was launched and conquered the fragrance world.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I actually didn't like it when I got a free 50ml splash bottle of the original stuff. I was wondering who on earth would wear such an awful scent. But a month later I tried it again, and it was still awful. Six months later, I tried it again and wondered what was wrong with me six months earlier. I've used up a 50ml bottle of it since, especially as I give myself 6 or 8 sprays of it.
    Renato

If I could keep the soapy opening and ditch the honeyed drydown, this would be a top 5 for sure

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I actually didn't like it when I got a free 50ml splash bottle of the original stuff. I was wondering who on earth would wear such an awful scent. But a month later I tried it again, and it was still awful. Six months later, I tried it again and wondered what was wrong with me six months earlier. I've used up a 50ml bottle of it since, especially as I give myself 6 or 8 sprays of it.
    Renato
    Don't know why this is one of the best posts i have read in a while.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm thankful to have a vintage bottle of the Extreme version.....wonderful stuff.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Good but it does show its age and can't really get away from a sort of sad vibe. Beautiful but sad.

That's right - and Luca Turin has spotted this as well - there is a melancholy to the frag after the bright, bright green opening.

Not really my cup of tea -- way too soapy, but I have never tried vintage.

A magnificent fragrance, while I think Worth pour Homme is the archetypal, most classic fougere, I Like Paco Rabanne much more. It steals worth's lunch money for attitude, longevity and projection and in my opinion can be worn any time.

Very daddy smelling I don't think it works in this era.

Love the opening, but the drydown gets harsh to my nose.

Classic, stylish, understated, exactly that kind of mellow, suave, mature citrus chypre which stands out while remaining inoffensive

Outdated in my opinion. Although to be fair, I haven't experimented with it a whole lot.

The Paco Rabanne vintage was indeed a great scent.The only thing thats still the same is the name.Its a watery scent nowadays without the power of the real thing.I used this one for many years,and stopped that about 15 years ago.The last time I tried it I noticed that Rabanne is history now,unfortunately.

Basenotes Plus

I have been a die-hard fan of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme since first buying cologne as a boy. I get my taste in scent from my father, who is European, and always enjoyed smelling fresh (but always masculine). I was born the year before PRph was first released (which was 1973) and first tried the vintage splash when I was not even 10. I loved it then and it has always been a part of my fragrance collection/wardrobe. My wife once said to me, while we were dating (but madly in love) - I will always remember Paco as "you". It went on my honeymoon and virtually everywhere in the world I travelled. And, today, a very special bottle made a journey to me. I was blessed and won through eBay (across the pond in the UK) a 100% Vintage 16OZ/480ml centerpiece bottle from an extremely reputable seller! It came perfect - totally full and, as promised, it smelled absolutely and perfectly true to form! The bottle was very well cared for - even the original box is in excellent shape! In fact, the top notes are still extremely fresh and totally alive - incredible!!! I purchased a pre-reformulation 100ml spray recently (newer vintage, in essence) with the raised 'Pr', but not with the silver label as this full PINT-sized one has (totally retro cool vibe from my youth). The top notes are mostly muted in that newer spray (a little dried lavender and sage remain), but the oakmoss, honey, musk and amber are still rich and long-lasting. This is typical of vintage fragrances and I have good work-arounds. I use either a "new vintage" splash after shave (which I have a lot of) to get the top notes and a couple of shots from the EDT to get the rich base notes or a couple of shots from a reformulated bottle (which has poor longevity) along with a few from the "new vintage" EDT and it works very well. I love aromatic fougeres more than any other class of fragrance and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is the original and "The King". While I like many others, PRph is simply "my" scent and always has been. I will post a picture soon, but this is the most precious bottle I could have in my collection - both for scent and sentimental value. Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, if found and well taken care of, is the best fragrance ever created for a man...cheers!
    Last edited by ericrico; 9th April 2013 at 05:42 PM.

+1. Nowdays it reminds me of Gilette shaving foam/gel..

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I agree, almost.

Vintage Paco Rabanne is superb. The current version is a decent fragrance, but different than the old one.

The vintage version is a lot greener and more resinous than what you find on the shelves now, which is a lighter, more one dimensional fragrance which smells primarily of soap.
    EXACTLY! The current formulation is primarily a soapy scent. I remember the original has having a stronger honey note.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    +1. Nowdays it reminds me of Gilette shaving foam/gel..
    Oddly enough my exact thoughts while smelling this the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I have been a die-hard fan of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme since first buying cologne as a boy. I get my taste in scent from my father, who is European, and always enjoyed smelling fresh (but always masculine). I was born the year before PRph was first released (which was 1973) and first tried the vintage splash when I was not even 10. I loved it then and it has always been a part of my fragrance collection/wardrobe. My wife once said to me, while we were dating (but madly in love) - I will always remember Paco as "you". It went on my honeymoon and virtually everywhere in the world I travelled. And, today, a very special bottle made a journey to me. I was blessed and won through eBay (across the pond in the UK) a 100% Vintage 16OZ/480ml centerpiece bottle from an extremely reputable seller! It came perfect - totally full and, as promised, it smelled absolutely and perfectly true to form! The bottle was very well cared for - even the original box is in excellent shape! In fact, the top notes are still extremely fresh and totally alive - incredible!!! I purchased a pre-reformulation 100ml spray recently (newer vintage, in essence) with the raised 'r', but not with the silver label as this full PINT-sized one has (totally retro cool vibe from my youth). The top notes are mostly muted in that newer spray (a little dried lavender and sage remain), but the oakmoss, honey, musk and amber are still rich and long-lasting. This is typical of vintage fragrances and I have good work-around. I use either a "new vintage" splash after shave (which I have a lot of) to get the top notes and a couple of shots from the EDT to get the rich basenotes or a couple of shots from a reformulated bottle (which has poor longevity) along with a few from the "new vintage" EDT and it works very well. I love aromatic fougeres more than any other class of fragrance and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is the original and the king. While I like many others, PRph is simply "my" scent and always has been. I will post a picture soon, but this is the most precious bottle I could have in my collection - both for scent and sentimental value. Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, if found and well taken care of, is the best fragrance ever created for a man...cheers!
    Thanks for sharing, beautiful story.
    I also like PR but I feel I'm still not mature enough to wear it.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is an absolute Godsend...the current formulation is an ode to one of the most amazing scents ever made (and my own personal favorite male fragrance). The new version is soapier but still has some decent "green" notes along with lavender. It is in the longevity and drydown where the reformulation falls short (both in quality and time). Gone is the rich Oakmoss, Amber, Honey and Tonka and only about 2-3 hours for me in longevity. After that, not much more than a hint. It is still nice and refreshing on the top and middle and I would get it if I wanted a spring/summer scent that I could reapply or just wear casually. However, I feel it takes some personality, class, maturity (along with some edge) and a cool vibe to wear Vintage Paco Rabanne PH. This isn't for boys - this is for men who know what they want in life and get it. My humble opinion, but to quantify my love of PRph: Vintage - 10/10, masterpiece; current - 6.5/10, refreshing.
    Last edited by ericrico; 3rd December 2011 at 09:45 AM.

I agree. I get my Paco fix from Great Jones which, if the SA at Saks is to be believed, has been discontinued.

Basenotes Institution

I love the vintage juice.

It is, IMO, the epitome of the perfect scent to wear after an afternoon at the gym / at the country club - it just begs to be worn after some sort of sporting activity, right after a hot shower, when you're getting dressed in the locker room. I don't know why I have such a strong visual image of this, when I smell PRPH, perhaps somewhere in my past (in some locker room somewhere...junior high?) someone wore this and I am making the olfactory connection.

Still, when I had a decant of this, I rarely wore it a lot. These sort of big boned masculine fougeres command a of respect from me, but they aren't my favorite sort of fragrance.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle