Code of Conduct

Default Any clean soapy scents that work well for younger guys?

Hey everybody I'm very new to scents and I'm looking for a nice fragrance that I can wear to work as a waiter. I want something light and soapy/clean... don't really care about the strength as long as it isn't anemic or I can't even use a full spray without knocking people out... I was thinking YSL Rive gauche or Mugler Cologne but I'm not sure. I'm 21 and i want something that suits my age too. I appreciate help! thanks

Default Re: Any clean soapy scents that work well for younger guys?

Prada Amber is a good alternative as well.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Try the Blu Mediterraneo range by Acqua di Parma

Muglers cologne its not bad; clean and fresh. I would recommend Creed's Green Irish Tweed, it is truly an amazing composition and you can get it online at a discount. Very clean, and you would never offend anyone at work.

Gendarme

Mugler Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by rttoronto View Post
    Mugler Cologne
    +1.

Mugler cologne sounds good; Guerlain vetiver also.

Or you could be more foodie and go for l'occitane immortelle de corse, whose light honey-caramel note will work perfectly with a dessert. (so would Serge Lutens jeux de peau, but it's much more expenisve)

cacio

Prada Infusion d'homme

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Mugler cologne sounds good; Guerlain vetiver also.

Or you could be more foodie and go for l'occitane immortelle de corse, whose light honey-caramel note will work perfectly with a dessert. (so would Serge Lutens jeux de peau, but it's much more expenisve)

cacio
    The first - Mugler - is o/k. The drydown is quite simple and may eventually bother particularly the wearer.

The Guerlain isn't soapy in that this smell never went into a soap production. I think it's too special for such a deployment.

The third - I do not know.

My suggestion: Etat Libre d'Orange "Antiheros" with a French quiet "h": "anit-eros", got it? Don't overapply, its stronger than You first think! To have some kind of comparison think of Yardley Lavender, an archetypical lavender enhanced with white clean musk. But without the tad of sweetness one may expect from a contemporary soap. Antiheros brings this theme up to speed then.

Anyhow, most people today will associate most any aldehydic perfume (Habit Rouge etc) with "soap".

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Prada Infusion d'homme
    +1.
    Current favorite: Chanel Bois des Iles

Green Irish Tweed is perfect for what you describe!

Mugler Cologne.
    Also, Eau d'Italie.

Clean for Men

Original Vetiver

+1 Mugler Cologne and Gendarme

Gendarme EDP

After trying A*men by mugler I'm a little scared to try anything from them but it seems like a lot of people think it fits the bill. I'm a little surprised there are no votes for YSL RG though.. I had the impression it was a clean soapy smell; is it more of an older man's scent? Also GIT is quite expensive, would Cool Water by Davidoff be a worthy substitute? (I'm on a students budget)

Mugler cologne is the exact opposite of A*men so dont worry just get it. Don't get cool water it's too generic and far inferior to git.

A less expensive alternative is Sung Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    ... far inferior to git.
    "git" refers to Green Irish Tweed from the infamous brand CREED which has been accused for fraud several times by quite generic guys. I think they are right, though.

What I forgot: what exactly is "soapy"? I think the most "soapy" experience I got from a full perfume was

Etat Libre d'Orange "Tom Of Finland"

which was like a tar soap. Tar was added to soap as a anti gem in ancient times. ToF would smell sweet and dry the same time, radiate the smell of nuts and fire, roasted proteins, tad of sugar and roses.

Hm, if myself was after "soap" I would take that. Btw, when visiting the US I wore it a lot, may be 5 spritzes at a time and nobody complained. 'Think people didn't get it as a perfume but as a sort of low level grooming product - perfect.

Infusion d'homme or Gendarme

Dependent

Infusion d'Homme

Mugler Cologne is more widely liked than A*Men, so don't lump them together because they are from the same company. Mugler Cologne should do the trick.

I'd go with Mugler's Cologne also. It's fairly inexpensive, smells shower soapy fresh, won't offend, has good longevity, versatile, and can be worn at any age.

CK BE...duh!!..this scent is very soapy clean and fresh with an amazing white musk drydown

Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Gendarme
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Mugler Cologne
    ............................... and I will add: Nautica Voyage (a great fragrance by Maurice Roucel)

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post
    Hey everybody I'm very new to scents and I'm looking for a nice fragrance that I can wear to work as a waiter. I want something light and soapy/clean... don't really care about the strength as long as it isn't anemic or I can't even use a full spray without knocking people out... I was thinking YSL Rive gauche or Mugler Cologne but I'm not sure. I'm 21 and i want something that suits my age too. I appreciate help! thanks
    I like the soapy smell of Mugler Cologne. Its sillage is not overwhelming, so even if someone doesn't like it on you, they won't notice.

Gendarme is also a wonderful smelling soapy cologne, and it's so light, *you* might not even notice you're wearing it. It's also hella expensive, I'm told. And if you're going to be waiting tables, it's probably not a good investment cost-wise, unless you make a TON of tips. And work overtime.

I just bought a bottle of a soapy fragrance today. Anucci for men. It's kind of like Rive Gauche (another VERY soapy scent). Sort of. The sales guy gave me the tester for free, because I bought his last bottle of Anucci.

If you want it, send me a message with your snail mail addy.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Banned

Infusion d'Homme by Prada - an enchanting soapy and clean vibe ... the refreshing citrus opening, wherein the neroli and mandarin notes interplay wonderfully, yields to an intriguing heart, with its vetiver, iris, galbanum and cedar cocktail, majestically carrying to the squeaky-clean base of benzoin and frankincense .... decent longevity and projection ...

I am a restaurant owner and a chef. I have several people on my wait staff that use fragrances given that they know I have a penchant for it! However, I would caution never to wear something that can conflict with the food you are serving. I think even Mugler Cologne is perhaps too much, and definitely RG by YSL would be way out. However, it my opinion, if you are looking for clean, then light application of the Prada is a good idea. One of my youngest waitresses wears the woman's version, and I like it on her, in fact she is wearing it this evening. One of the guys wears Bulgari pour homme. It appears to come off fresh and doesn't overwhelm anything. Don't use the Extreme though. In fact Guerlain's L'instant lightly applied would be nice too.
    Hey, if you worked for me, we could discuss it more! :-)

English Fern

I wear Infusion D'homme when I do waitering

Although the few reviews here are very mixed, Azzaro Now for Men might well fit the bill. To my nose it's definitely a soapy/clean (green) modern scent with a somewhat unique vibe that's easy on the wallet. I just saw an e-bay offering of two sample vials for under 5 bucks if you wanna try it and can't find a local tester bottle.

Blog Entries

PRADA's male scents

my vote's for Prada Amber, for day use, or/and try the extreme for evening use. I think it fits the bill exactly.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by scent_of_life View Post
    and definitely RG by YSL would be way out
    I second that.

In fact, Anucci might be too strong for work as well. 'Not sure. If you don't like it, feel free to pass it on to someone who may enjoy it!

One man's stanker is another man's ambrosia.

(Scent_of_Life! Please post pictures of your food in the "What Are You Eating/Drinking" thread! I would love to eat vicariously through you!)
    Last edited by Aiona; 2nd December 2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: nonsequitur
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Dune pour homme
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

+ 1 for Nautica Voyage

Also: lightly applied Azzaro Chrome fits the bill.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Clean for Men, or Clean Shower Fresh for Men.

But you can also use Axe if you want. =X

Basenotes Member

Great Jones - New York Bond No 9

Bvlgari Man - it's like a better Prada Infusion d'Iris, and the honey and pear notes in it work well in a setting with food.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post
    I was thinking YSL Rive gauche or Mugler Cologne but I'm not sure.
    Be careful with the Rive Gauche [pour Homme]. I can't remember who it was (maybe DustB?), but I remember someone got bitten while he was wearing it.

MFK Aqua Universalis Forte, a very VERY light citrus soapy scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Be careful with the Rive Gauche [pour Homme]. I can't remember who it was (maybe DustB?), but I remember someone got bitten while he was wearing it.
    Ah, no no! It was Indie_Guy.

Wore Rive Gauche to work and got BITTEN!

Mugler Cologne & Infusion d´Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    Dune pour homme
    +1 on that!
    Gorgeous, fresh & young... And original!
    A joy from top till the long lasting drydown.

Check out Penhaligon's Castile

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Prada Amber is a good alternative as well.
    This.

i've tried all these by now and infusion homme whas a standout, amazing scent to me! bit strong i think if i bought it i might even dilute it lol. mugler didn't leave an impression at all, i think i need to try it again next time i'm at nordstroms.

Bvlgari BLV IIRC also has quite a fresh soapy vibe.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Mugler Cologne, Grey Vetiver, Original Vetiver

Prada Amber comes to mind, but it's a little boring. Baldessarini is better and classier.