Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help, I can't stop wearing Bulgari Black

My entire collection has been cruelly neglected since I purchased Black two weeks ago. I was underwhelmed at first (really, this is what everyone raves about?), but all it took was one full wearing on one day for me to fall in love with this stuff completely. I never thought I'd have a spot in my collection for a quiet, subdued fragrance, but Black is quiet and weird, like that skulking kid at the back of the classroom who always had something cryptic to say when you dared speak to him. And yet it's a loveable kind of weird (rather unlike that skulking kid), with a warm vanilla/musk base and just enough smoke and rubber/leather/nope, definitely rubber to keep things interesting. It seems to fit my mood like a glove, and never feels like the "wrong" thing to be wearing after I've sprayed it on. It wraps me in a subtle aura of scent that lasts for hours, without projecting across the street or poking me in the nostrils. I find myself reaching for it daily, almost without thinking. It's hypnotised me. This can't be healthy. MAKE IT STOP.

Default Re: Help, I can't stop wearing Bulgari Black

Oh no, you have a signature scent now!

I can't blame you really. It's pretty awesome.
    .Dave J

iqi8h8j74qfeelocowmanqqro

Shame on you!
    To stop you? Well, send it to me...

Send it over to a friend's house.

I cant even find Bulgari Black over ere , has it been discontinued now as i never did get around to trying it

I love BB. It turns your skin into Michelin tyres.

BB is quite widely available in airports duty free shops, sometimes in the male fragrances corner, sometimes in the female fragrances corner. And BTW the design of the bottle is quite stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I cant even find Bulgari Black over ere , has it been discontinued now as i never did get around to trying it
    Same here. I'm in Ireland and it hasn't been on sale over here for at least a couple of years. I never got to try it either. I think I'm gonna have to go for a blind buy from the internet. I can always sell it on eBay if I end up hating it!

It is also hard to find in the Netherlands.
    None of the big stores carry it.
    I suppose it is going to be discontinued.

i have just bought a sample cant wait to try it :-)

I think I can safely say it would be a pretty safe bet blind buy as far as Im concerned anyway , might have to hit the dreaded fleabay if I get no joy

Lucky you live in Canada...
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Sur la Plage

Keep wearing it - it's wonderful stuff.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Is it in danger of being discontinued in the US and elsewhere? Is it a decent seller over there? It's definitely not in the UK/Ireland anymore, so I hope it's not the case that's it's gradually being pulled everywhere.

Why stop ? Really... you'll get bored with it eventually don't worry.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

For those in UK - Bulgari Black is available from CheapSmells.com. It is listed under the womens perfume section.

i stopped wearing Le Male when I discovered this one

thank you, Bvlgari Black

Thanks Indigo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    My entire collection has been cruelly neglected since I purchased Black two weeks ago. I was underwhelmed at first (really, this is what everyone raves about?), but all it took was one full wearing on one day for me to fall in love with this stuff completely. I never thought I'd have a spot in my collection for a quiet, subdued fragrance, but Black is quiet and weird, like that skulking kid at the back of the classroom who always had something cryptic to say when you dared speak to him. And yet it's a loveable kind of weird (rather unlike that skulking kid), with a warm vanilla/musk base and just enough smoke and rubber/leather/nope, definitely rubber to keep things interesting. It seems to fit my mood like a glove, and never feels like the "wrong" thing to be wearing after I've sprayed it on. It wraps me in a subtle aura of scent that lasts for hours, without projecting across the street or poking me in the nostrils. I find myself reaching for it daily, almost without thinking. It's hypnotised me. This can't be healthy. MAKE IT STOP.
    Wait until you smell it on somebody else, and it's even more beautiful. You'll really be screwed.

Discontinuation would be a travesty. If they do, I'll buy a full set of tires immediately.

You've fallen for a good one. I love that fragrance.

You don't need to feel guilty about it,I like it very much too,enjoy it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    They have a tester sitting at the Harrods in Heathrow Terminal 5. Not sure if they have it in the one in London...

Ok, I've just ordered a 40ml bottle online. It's a blind buy that I've wanted to make for a long time after hearing so many reports of this one. I hope I like it! Can't wait to try it at last anyway.

Don't

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Lol@subhuman85. After reading your gobsmacking review of Bulgari Black recently, I knew then you'd fallen hard for this masterpiece. I concur...it wears like a ghostly manifestation. LOVE it!

I haven't worn this in months but this thread has inspired me to wear it out tonight =P

Quote Originally Posted by calero
    Oh no, you have a signature scent now!
    *quiet voice* Noooooooooooo...I've become one of those people!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide
    Ok, I've just ordered a 40ml bottle online. It's a blind buy that I've wanted to make for a long time after hearing so many reports of this one. I hope I like it! Can't wait to try it at last anyway.
    Good for you! It's a pretty safe blind buy in that you probably won't hate it, but I think all the hype over it can engender some rather high expectations for that first spray. (I'm sure this thread hasn't helped in that regard. Sorry.) It's not nearly as crazy avant-garde or earth-shatteringly brilliant as some of the reviews would have you believe, but it's odd and wonderful in its own way, different from anything else, and superbly crafted. Give it a few good tries (like I did) before making a final judgment call on it.

And Black is still listed on Bulgari's website, so it hasn't been discontinued...yet. I'd actually be surprised if they axed it, given all the praise for it within the industry and the notable Internet buzz (and blind buys). But it's hard to find pretty much everywhere, it seems; I found my bottle in the health & beauty section of a supersized grocery store, of all places. None of the department stores, perfume boutiques, or drugstores in my city have it, just this one damn grocery store, and it was marked down rather severely. Clearly it isn't a bestseller for Bulgari, although the SA at this store told me they sold more than a few bottles of it over the holidays. (A cult hit, then?)

Oh, and I'm wearing Opium today - the weather here just seems to call for it - but that Black bottle was tempting me sorely.

It's always in stock (40ml and 75ml) at Supaperfume.com

I have a bottle but don't use it much. I agree with subhuman85 - it's not totally amazing.

It's very much still available in the UK. Love this stuff. Nothing quite like it.

I like the scent a lot but i feel that you really need to spare this on a good 20-30min before interacting with others or you will give off the rubber note. I don't mind it and actually have learned to love it but i have had a few occasions where i met up with some people shortly after appying and the reaction wasn't too great lol.

I just which is projected a bit more, i feel like the only way you can smell this is if you dig your nose into your skin

Black is quiet and weird, like that skulking kid at the back of the classroom who always had something cryptic to say when you dared speak to him... I find myself reaching for it daily, almost without thinking. It's hypnotised me. This can't be healthy. MAKE IT STOP.
    You mean you're that skulking kid? :P

Two ways to correct your atrocious behavior:
    (1) Overspray until you get sick
    (2) Spray it on and do something you don't want to remember for the rest of your life (Or spray it on and eat something you're allergic to or a LOT of candy so you feel sick/yack &c)

now I have to get this one
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Just curious of how many sprays do you find yourself using?

I'm glad I found an other absolute fan of this fragrance !
    It's my all-time favorite and I often wear it when I want to "print" in my brain a strong memory of what I consider a special time.
    There isn't any part of this masterpiece I could say I don't like, from the beginning to the end, it's for my taste.

My first ever bottle of Bulgari Black arrived yesterday! My second ever blind buy, the first being Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. I had never smelled Bulgari Black before, so here are my initial impressions having worn it last night and again this morning.

The first thing I immediately thought when I sprayed some on my arm was how very, very similar it is to Midnight In Paris. Of course I'm aware that Bulgari Black has been around since 1998, but I had never smelled it before yesterday, so to me Black smells like MIP and not the other way around if you know what I mean. It's perhaps slightly more rubbery at first than MIP, but softens pretty quickly into a lovely warm, romantic, vanilla/amber/musk with some leather poking through also. At this point it even starts to remind me of the dear departed Ghost Man, which I always liked a lot, but Black isn't as cloying.

It appears to me to be a lot less "big" in terms of strength and projection than I had anticipated based on some of the reviews, but perhaps it's just my nose failing to register it after a while, although I do get the odd blast of it now and then. I still reckon it stays fairly close to the skin after the first half hour or so. Do other people think this one projects? I was sort of hoping for something with a little more oomph in the sillage department.

All in all though, I think it's really, really beautiful. Midnight In Paris was my favourite scent from last year, but as far as I'm concerned, Bulgari Black got there first 12 years earlier, so kudos to Bulgari! I can't see myself ever being without a bottle of this from now on. It's just too lovely.

probably the best Bulgari fragrance... good stuff....

Hi,Riverwide,

Just like you I do not consider BB to be a "big" in terms of longevity or projection but this is what I had expected,indeed.
    BB stays close to my skin after an hour and I can detect the scent during the next 6-8 hours.
    I use at least 4 sprays in the morning.

Isn't it great stuff? As somebody commented above, it would seem you've found yourself a signature scent. Indulge! What I like about it is its ability to come across as both clean and sensual at the same time: You get the ultra-clean cleanliness that, say, Body Shop's legendary White Musk shower gel gives you, but also a certain gourmand vanilla richness that is sensual any time of day.

I bought it blind a while ago (agree, it can still be found in UK retail) and was very underwhelmed.

Persevered with it and now love it.

Blog Entries

If I was content with one scent I'd have alot more money. Consider yourself lucky...

DeepSilence

I can't help you... sorry; It's a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide
    I still reckon it stays fairly close to the skin after the first half hour or so. Do other people think this one projects? I was sort of hoping for something with a little more oomph in the sillage department.
    It definitely stays close to the skin. Not a sillage monster, nor is it meant to be. Black is too sly and self-possessed to go bashing people over the head with monstrous projection. Just when you think it's gone, though, it randomly pops up again like an olfactory Whack-a-Mole. It behaves itself, but never lets you forget it's there, lurking in the background. (Yeah, it's a bit creepy. The creepy ones are interesting!)
    Last edited by subhuman85; 5th February 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    It appears to me to be a lot less "big" in terms of strength and projection than I had anticipated based on some of the reviews, but perhaps it's just my nose failing to register it after a while, although I do get the odd blast of it now and then. I still reckon it stays fairly close to the skin after the first half hour or so. Do other people think this one projects? I was sort of hoping for something with a little more oomph in the sillage department.
    I had the same experience: underwhelmed with the sillage and wished they'd put it on steroids. It does seem to come and go. But when it comes - beautiful! It may not project as much as desired, but other people can definitely pick it up on you if they get close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I can't see myself ever being without a bottle of this from now on. It's just too lovely.
    +1 One of the very few fragrances I've bought a back-up for.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Blog Entries

It's contagious - because of this thread, I went on a three-day Bulgari Black bender. Then I tried to wean myself off with substitute fragrances that remind me of it. This thread has me craving it again. Can I resist wearing it to bed tonight....?

ENABLERS!!!

Hell, I craved it today while wearing Opium. Opium! One of my diehard, all-time, desert-island faves, which I just purchased an older, pre-reformulation bottle of. And yet, as soon as I sprayed it on, I thought, "...Damn. Shoulda picked Black." Opium didn't sit right with me all day; I found it overly baroque and cloying, when I normally find it olfactory nirvana. I got home from work, showered, got ready to go out to dinner with some friends, and sprayed on Black. It was perfection.

Hate you, Bulgari. HATE!

great stuff and as Riverwide mentioned, very similar to Midnight in Paris, or the other way around Some day you might also want to try L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzing! and Le Labo Patchouli 24 which are sort of like strange variations on the theme.
    Last edited by nthny; 5th February 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post
    You mean you're that skulking kid? :P

Two ways to correct your atrocious behavior:
    (1) Overspray until you get sick
    (2) Spray it on and do something you don't want to remember for the rest of your life (Or spray it on and eat something you're allergic to or a LOT of candy so you feel sick/yack &c)
    Intelligent reference to classical conditioning. I bid you a nod of my head!

Black gets me great compliments, especially on the drydown when the vanilla and tea combine to make an extraordinary fragrance. Sephora and Nordstorm still carry it here in New Jersey so I don't think it's been discontiuned....

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    great stuff and as Riverwide mentioned, very similar to Midnight in Paris, or the other way around Some day you might also want to try L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzing! and Le Labo Patchouli 24 which are sort of like strange variations on the theme.
    Cheers! I've noted those down to try!

Damn, this topic makes me want to go and get this fragrance. I finally found it at a store after months of not finding it anywhere (I heard much about it but it wasn't really on my radar) and if people are really worried about it being discontinued, I may just go spring for the big tire. I tested it out and it was exceptional. I never expected to like the rubber note as much as I did.

ran out of my larger vial, and the small one is with my brother in Cali. So I sampled it again today at Sephora...

it was all i could do to keep from buying it.

im waiting bc there seems to be simliarity to Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef De Arpels, but I think I like Bvlgari Black better

To me one the most perfect unisex scents. Anybody can wear this and it fits. I believe I saw somewhere Angelina Jolie wears this and it makes me like her and BB all the more. Now I had to go spray some on.

Love Black. Best scent with the Bulgari name on it. Also great that it's a 'cheapie' in a stylish bottle.

If you like it, but wish there was a different angle on it, seek out Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (also inexpensive, also unisex, despite the name). It's very similar, but replaces the rubbery topnote with a sweet anise/licorice. The drydown becomes very similar. No mystery there; both were composed by the same nose--the brilliant Annick Menardo.

I wore it today.

-what about longevity?

-which is the best season for this scent?

thanks

Tried this and just like dnc was underwhelmed.

While i love the amazing dry down, i cant stand the rubber opening

Finally gave it a proper wearing today. It seems like a dark cousin to Diors Fahrenheit (in uniqueness, no other qualities). Great Scent but poor longevity and siliage in my expeirence.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    While i love the amazing dry down, i cant stand the rubber opening
    That's too bad. The rubber is the most addicting part to me.

don't stop just go with it.
    I used to layer it with Lolita Lempicka. ( "layer" as in apply on alternating pulse points in close proximity, not directly on top of one another, so that the two fragrances could dialogue with one another - does this sound crazy? don't care if it does. I also like to eat two radically different ice cream flavors side by side )
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache