Code of Conduct

Question Invasion Barbare v. Sartorial

As newer orientalized fougeres, I was wondering if anyone could compare and contrast Invasion Barbare and Penhaligons Sartorial. I've tried Sartorial and kind of like it, but am not convinced. I've not tried IB yet.

Default Re: Invasion Barbare v. Sartorial

I've only worn Sartorial once (from a sample), but even from that limited experience I would say it's not even close. I can barely remember Sartorial. Invasion Barbare, on the other hand, is awesome. It's modern but somehow still connected to the rich history of past fougeres. I think it's one of the best fragrances of the last ten years. It was also memorable from my first wearing.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Both are good though for me Sartorial is more unequal and one of those rare fragrances that had me lost for words and without a point of reference to compare it to. I had not smelled it's like before.

IB is really well made and complex that it seems to morph on your skin as you are smelling it from a candy type smell to warm woods and then out of the blue you can detect the violet and lavender weaving in and out of the scent. The only downside to me and there was no getting away from it was the "Le Male vibe". It's there and this may slight your perception of a very good fragrance.

Both are conventional fougeres but Sartorial is not as classical a composition as Invasion Barbare. I've owned both for months and have worn IB more often; I find it to be warmer, smoother, and just a bit more inviting.

Sartorial had some edgy "metallic" aspects to its development that I like but don't love. I rate both very, very highly and believe that choosing between the 2 is really just individual preference.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I love Sartorial, and wasn't wowed by IB. I think IB is the more modern, and Sartorial a bit more traditional. Both great scents, but I think you're a Sartorial type Bokaba.

I have tried both a few times and intend to buy IB next time I put in an order from LS. Sartorial is available here, maybe the whole backstory 'making of' influenced me, but it seems a bit gimmicky and synthetic in feel, I just don't enjoy it at all.

I was wowed by IB, own and love Sartorial. Sartorial being a more classic, linear traditional metallic fougere and IB is a deep luxurious warm/sweet, contemporary composition. I find the two very different and indulge myself as a newgere fan of owing both these gems.

I own Sartorial and have a decant of IB. I like them both, but I prefer IB. It is a superbly crafted fougere/woody oriental hybrid with a citrus, violet opening, a lavender powdery sweet middle and a spciy, woody, musky base. Sartorial is a classic fougere that reminds me of a barbershop with a bit of Brut Classic thrown in for good measure. Really, you can't go wrong with either one IMO.

You're right...I do like Sartorial, but smelling the Dukes of Pall Mall Belgravia (impossible to find scent made in small batches in London in the early 80s) ruined it for me

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I love Sartorial, and wasn't wowed by IB. I think IB is the more modern, and Sartorial a bit more traditional. Both great scents, but I think you're a Sartorial type Bokaba.

Another vote for Sartorial. I love it, it's very 'classy'. The beeswax accord makes it quite unique. IB is very good too but is reminiscent of Le Male.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    IB is very good too but is reminiscent of Le Male.

IB smells nothing like Le Male. Unless you meant IBS.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Sound Scents

Neither really "wowed" me, but I preferred and like Sartorial. I particularly enjoy its opening. Overall I guess I find Sartorial to have more character.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I smelled Sartorial when it first came out. At the time I was heading more towards the vetiver and leather side of perfumes so i didn't give Sartorial the attention and testing it deserved. I did a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. To the unwilling or rushed nose, it is weird and unconventional. To the trained and willing nose it is also weird and unconventional, in a good way.

I am waiting for my next order from LS to try IB but I already feel i will like it based on the splendid quaityt of reviews written (thanks reviewers - you are the best and appreciated).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Both are good though for me Sartorial is more unequal and one of those rare fragrances that had me lost for words and without a point of reference to compare it to. I had not smelled it's like before.
    I feel the same. No point of reference.
    But if one exists, scent would recognize it.

for swap/sale:

Great thread.

I find Sartorial a warmer fragrance than IB. I wonder if it's the beeswax that gives it that feel for me. IB I find a 'colder' more 'metallic' scent- beautiful though.

If I had to choose it would be difficult but I'd put Sartorial in front by a bee's nose.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with everything that's been said!

I own and love Sartorial. It has become my go-to when I know I've got a long day at work and need something I know will be great all day, until I get to go home. I'd have said initially that it's not my style, but when sampling, it beat me into submission. I also had nothing to compare it to... I've worn it for days in a row, and I don't do that with any other fragrance.

IB I've sampled, and have one more wearing waiting for me. I thought it was well constructed, and the heart is very complex and smooth. In the end the drydown didn't floor me. There was something in there that didn't agree with me. I'll either pinpoint it next time I try, or decide I was crazy. The first two steps of the pyramid were stellar though, and I can certainly understand the fans of this one!

I also choose Sartorial. I like IB very much but Sartorial really lasts and warms up making it enjoyable all day long. IB has periods of greatness but I haven't felt the need to break down and buy it yet. It doesn't help that you can get 200ml of Sartorial for about the same price as 60 of IB.

Both are good, but I prefer IB.

The strength of Sartorial is the aforementioned beeswax, and a seldom-mentioned linden note that I find very appealing. There is a really likeable warmth to the scent. Otherwise, the fragrance is a bit of a jumble for me, reflected in the busy note pyramid.

IB has the sort of quality ingredients that scream off the skin, and, like a real masterpiece, it reveals different facets in different wearings. I have not smelled Le Male, so those comparisons are meaningless to me. IB is memorable and completely satisfying.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

I'm glad to see all the praise for Invasion Barbare here - I remember when it was rarely spoken about on Basenotes! It's definitely one of my favorite fragrances of all time. It's great that it's finally being talked about and enjoyed by so many BNers.

bokaba, I haven't tried Sartorial, but I wouldn't let the Le Male comparisons keep you from trying Invasion Barbare. Although they are both "barbershop" fougeres, they smell very, very different, and you would never confuse one for the other. I have to admit that I love Le Male, but again, they're both very different.

It's worth a sniff!
    Sales thread here

Hillaire

IB is a favorite, totally unique.

I like Sartorial, too. But for the price 'Patrick' is a much better fougere. Really, it is .

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post

I like Sartorial, too. But for the price 'Patrick' is a much better fougere. Really, it is .
    By Patrick, I take it you mean the one by Fragrances of Ireland?

Hillaire

YES, that one! If it's a fine true fougere you want, it's the one I'd recommend. It would be even if it out-priced the other two.

Agree.

I just ordered a sample! Looks like good notes, but the pine gives me pause--hopefully it won't be too strong.
    YES, that one! If it's a fine true fougere you want, it's the one I'd recommend. It would be even if it out-priced the other two.