Code of Conduct

Default The predictable "What can I buy my Dad if he likes..." Sorry guys!

Ok, normally I'm pretty good with figuring people's likes and dislikes out. However, I'm after some advice from the many guys on here with a much broader knowledge of fragrance and brand profiles than myself.
    My Dad is kind of easily influenced, he'll warm up to something if I say I like it, which is very sweet really, I introduced him to Tom Ford Black Orchid which he still doesn't realise was initially marketed as a women's fragrance :') He really enjoys this and has worn it for a couple years, mainly just for special occasions, he considers it a luxury.
    The thing is, his nose isn't, trained as such, and neither is mine, I just know what I like and don't. I've heard Black Orchid be referred to as an aquatic, I realise it lightens up and gradually kind of waters down over time, I think my Dad just loves the initial almost, chocolate gourmand burst of the initial spray.
    Anyway, I don't want to keep going on about Black Orchid as though it's the be all and end all. I want to introduce him to something new for Christmas, and knowing he likes something really unusual but easily enjoyable, I was initially thinking Tobacco Vanille, but if I'm really honest, it's a bit out of my price range, at this time of year that is anyway, I couldn't possibly add that onto an already mega list of Christmas presents.
    Anyway, if it comes to it, I think this is my best bet.
    But if anyone can recommend me a really lovely, easily enjoyable, more on the spicy/gourmand/creamy woods side of a top quality designer or niche fragrance for a 60 year old man (not that age has much to do with it), just so I can get researching and sniffing, that would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks guys

Edit: Please don't recommend A*men, he's tried it, not his thing, wierdly he says he gets a urine note from it... I think it's such a popular fragrance, it wouldn't quite be "special" for him and it wouldn't be a worthy replacement.

Default Re: The predictable "What can I buy my Dad if he likes..." Sorry guys!

Just a thought - The Jewel for Him by Micallef

L'Instant Extreme by Guerlain is a semi gourmand cocoa/vanille fragrance that is easy to love and is perfect for the mature gentlemen. Also its only just over £50 from Harrods and can be ordered online. Check the reviews its a great scent.

M7 by YSL

Thanks for the quick replies:

hednic - Beautiful bottle and looks very exclusive and classic just what I was after thanks, I just have no way of sniffing this and buying this in time but I'll look into it for the future. You've introduced me to a brand I've never heard of before so thanks for that.

Jack - That came to mind actually! I have never sniffed, I will do after work today at my local House of Fraser. Read some reviews before but never picked up on the cocoa/vanille thing was just flicking through ratio of positives and neutrals etc :') I'll check it out for sure now.

Ken - Aoud was a note I was pretty unsure about throwing infront of his nose :') But I guess this would be a good place to start. I have a collection of L'Artisans he seems to be intrigued by and I was considering Al Oudh but thought it might possibly be a bit of a shocker for him! Will look into it thank you.

Black Orchid is nothing aquatic, its a floral gourmand. Aquatics is the crap that everyone smells in the streets, those light, innofensive, non smelling acqua di gios and isseys...

I like Black Orchid a lot too, and there are nothing that come much closer, actually is a quite unique fragrance.
    Maybe some gourmands like Eau des Baux, Red Aoud, Play Intense, Angel WOMAN

Sur la Plage

Hermes Elixir des Merveilles
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

d4n13l - I've never thought of it as aquatic either, but I will look into those suggestions thanks I never knew Red Aoud was considered a gourmand, I'll look into it more so now.

petruccijc - I actually sniffed this just the other day, loved the candied orange peel and cocoa, a consideration for sure, will revist this later today

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    L'Instant Extreme by Guerlain is a semi gourmand cocoa/vanille fragrance that is easy to love and is perfect for the mature gentlemen. Also its only just over £50 from Harrods and can be ordered online. Check the reviews its a great scent.
    Where about on-line Jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Where about on-line Jack?
    http://www.harrods.com/product/guerl...=search-result

Harrods online, sorry I should have been more clear.

Re-testing Hermes ElixirDM, I do like it, but, its not particularly masculine at all, whilst I am sure we, with a more open mind towards gender classification can convince ourselves that any fragrance is wearable, I just dont think the base is strong enough to support it.

I also tried Guerlain L'Instant Extreme and gave it a full wearing. Its easily pleasant, it doesnt feel luxurious though, Its a mild, but lovely, warm and creamy cocoa vanilla which reminds me just of the aura of Cocoa butter body lotion, not until the skin is warmed up does the anise come through. It is a safe buy, thats for sure, not convinced though.

I will try Eau des Baux after work today following a suggestion, but again read some pros and cons about it, it sounds great for an everyday mena cologne. I guess Im expecting too much. I know youll probably say 'Just stick with Black Orchid', I just thought maybe I might be missing something a little more unique in similarly reasonable price bracket.

Any other suggestions would be welcome, I am listening and trying them all.

Thanks

Outside chance:
    34 Boulevard Saint Germain by Diptyque

From their site:
    Developed around a chypre backbone, the base notes of wood and balms add comfort and create addiction. It is a rich and voluptuous fragrance which is suitable for men and women.

I'm enjoying this today and I'm at least your Dad's age.
    (Not that age has much to do with it.)
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Maybe try YSL Opium pour homme EDP, more luxurious smelling than the EDT which is also very nice.
    Also you could test Tom Ford Extreme and Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris which are fairly easy to test in most department stores.
    Also you might want to look at the fragrance splits board for luxury scents at a more reasonable price. The problem with this, however is that the fragrance will not be in an original bottle which you may not feel is suitable to give as a gift.

Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Or
    Amouage Memoir Man

Montale's Boise Fruite - Well made fragrance that's a more complex version of Silver Mountain Water.

24 The Fragrance "Gold" - Can't stop saying good things about this one. AMBER, hazelnut, raspberry, with some smoke. Delicious and less than $50 a bottle.
    Last edited by silentrich; 5th December 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Is there a flagship Dior store in your vicinity? If so check out La Collection Privee. Granville is great (I'm near your father's age, btw, not that age really comes into it) and Leather Oud is pretty cool.

Tiffany for Men is another option - carried at most Tiffany stores.

Black Soul Imperial
    +1 Tom Ford Extreme
    +1 Opium Pour Homme

Tom Ford...Tom Ford? It is on my wish list after buying a decant and I am around his age. Good luck

Bit of a wildcard, but hit him with Hypnotic Poison by Dior.

Chanel Coromandel
    Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere
    Ormande Jayne Man