Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default R'oud Elements by Kerosene

Not sure if anyone noticed this?

Looks like Kerosene has a fragrance of his own - time to show our support with a few $$ hey!

Here's the vid:

Default Re: R'oud Elements by Kerosene

Would love to hear some opinions on this. It's always interesting to see how non-professional perfumers' compositions compare to those more classically trained.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Found R'Oud Elements by Kerosene on Etsy.com for $75 and the following description

'An edp with notes of Oud, Sandalwood, Amber, Vanilla, Lavender, Iris and Orange Bitters.

R'oud Elements has a smoldering oud opening that will tingle your nose hairs, then after about twenty minutes, settles down to a velvety oud and lightly spicy woody scent. Masculine and warm.

The 100ml bottle is painted by myself with automotive grade paint and clearcoat.'

Post Thanks / Like

Would like to read reviews about this one too.

Congrats to Kerosene for actually getting a scent out there. I know a lot of people talk about it and dream about it and it's a huge challenge to actually compose one.

I'm really curious if he used any pre-made bases or pre-made fragrance oils (these are always accords, such as "green tea" or "black rum".. I'm assuming he used a synth oud base such as Givaudan's Black Agar base), or if he did it the hardcore way and actually composed it entirely of hand chosen single aroma chemicals.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! Lets get this in the directory for a start!

This is interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample coming soon. A YouTube fragrance reviewer named WallyStinx is also doing a split.

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to Kerosene. I would like to sample it.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support.

I’m not into marketing so I’m really just going to let the people that try the fragrance be the voice for it. Like all scents, it’ll either be liked or not. Of the wood notes, there’s about 10 of them, it just so happens that there’s a higher concentration of oud notes in the formula, thus the reason for the name. I really think this is middle ground for an oud-based fragrance. There is a blend of pure oud oil and some synthetic oud. It took a while to get the combination right and I also wanted to keep the price reasonable at the same time. As most people are aware that oud is really expensive stuff. And the bottle alone takes a bit of time. But I wanted it to be professional looking. And if this kicks off, customer service will be priority #1.

Personally, I’ve never been attracted to really bombastic scents, so I hope the formula is strong enough for most people. Depending on the feedback, I just may need to amp it up. But it’s really hard to judge longevity when it’s freezing outside and everyone’s skin is dry as a bone here.

I also have about six scents that are in serious works. Don’t know when they’ll be ready though, but please stay tuned.

Thanks again,
    Kerosene (John)
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kerosene,

I'll see how it holds up for projection and longevity in the Florida heat.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Hey Kerosene,

I'll see how it holds up for projection and longevity in the Florida heat.
    Thanks Rich,

If your sample didnt go out on Saturday, it's going out tonight after work.

Appreciate the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Kerosene. Are there any fragrances that inspired your construction of R'oud Elements?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Thanks Rich,

If your sample didnt go out on Saturday, it's going out tonight after work.

Appreciate the feedback.
    Looking forward to getting my nose on it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Hi, Kerosene. Are there any fragrances that inspired your construction of R'oud Elements?
    Good question. Actually, like with my writing (I write mostly short stories), they seem to be inspired off real life events, but I actually don’t read a ton. I try not to get influences if possible, but obviously we are always influenced by things unknowingly. With scents, I have an idea on a blend that would work nice. Kinda like with cooking and I build off a couple of ingredients. I cook using a lot of spices, so I think that plays a large role in the creative process. Also, mood and climate is helping dictate some direction. If it’s cold outside, I naturally gravitate toward warm notes, ect.

My goal is that each fragrance will stand on their own and hopefully not remind you of something you’ve worn before.

Don’t know if I answered your question….I can sometimes just ramble randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvane View Post
    'An edp with notes of Oud, Sandalwood, Amber, Vanilla, Lavender, Iris and Orange Bitters.
    Sounds great on paper. Just switch Orange Bitters with Coconut and its perfect

Looking forward to read reviews on this and maybe even buy bottle. Good luck with another compositions Kerosene!
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to try this! Congrats Kerosene!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears"

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES
    Neil Morris Takashimaya, Xerjoff Nio & 1861, Creed Green Irish Tweed & Aventus, Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (vintage), Tommy Hilfiger Athletics, Terre d'Hermes parfum, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois parfum, Opus Oils Mother EDP, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Slumberhouse Jeke, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud & Xerjoff Gao

Congrats Kerosene! The bottle is just beautiful!
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Very cool. Much success.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a first impression video from another fellow basenotes member Frunkinator. I'm liking what I'm hearing a cross between Creed, Bond No.9, and Thierry Mugler.

Last edited by silentrich; 6th December 2011 at 01:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go! This is awesome.

Can't wait to see what the feedback is.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Kerosene, nice concept/name/bottle. Good work!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Congrats Kerosene, nice concept/name/bottle. Good work!

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

I got a sample from Kerosene...Thanks Kerosene!

I am not at all good at describing scents but I get something sweet at the beginning that goes away fairly quickly. I am not sure what the note is at the beginning, I recognize it but I can't figure out what it is. Then I get a great deal of a sweet oud mixed with some other woods, maybe come vetiver but the oud is dominant. Not an animalic oud but a sweet oud. Does not really remind me of anything I have smelled before, definitely a masculine scent and good for the winter. Besides the change that comes for me at the beginning I don't get much of a change as time progresses. Unlike the video review above, I don't get any kind of clean laundry vibe and maybe only a hint of musk. Mostly I get various woods mixed with oud with a touch of sweetness that I simply can't put mu finger on.

I put this on about 8 hour ago and it is still alive on my skin. I look forward to reading other reviews of this because, to be honest, I am lame at describing scents and notes. I can say that I love this and it is unique for me as it does not remind me of anything else I have sampled. Yes, I am considering a buy in this. A great one IMHO and I hope more people sample this one.

Congratulations Kerosene and thank you. .
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks incredibly cool. Definitely blind-buy worthy!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

KUDOS kerosene !!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Post Thanks / Like

Topping this thread because I hope there are others that have tried this.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    This looks incredibly cool. Definitely blind-buy worthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Topping this thread because I hope there are others that have tried this.
    A bottle is on its way! Very excited about this.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Kerosene - how exciting for you. Congrat's
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

make an oudless batch and I'd be all over it

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Wanna sample it? I really think this scent is, "oud for those that dont like oud" ! I know, it makes no sense but does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Wanna sample it? I really think this scent is, "oud for those that dont like oud" ! I know, it makes no sense but does.
    I'd love to try it! If it's not oud heavy there's a fair chance I could like it given the other notes, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bottle if that's the case. I'm pretty sure I lose a few brain cells every time I smell a Montale Aoud.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of oud either but always willing to support a fellow b'noter. Awesome job Kerosene! Good luck man.

Post Thanks / Like

well done kerosene

I'd love to try it! If it's not oud heavy there's a fair chance I could like it given the other notes, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bottle if that's the case. I'm pretty sure I lose a few brain cells every time I smell a Montale Aoud.

It's very, very unlike any Montale I've smelled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got a sample and decided to get a bottle before I even got to the drydown. It's exactly what I was hoping, based on the description. I would also say that people above have been doing a good job of describing it. I can totally see everything people have been saying.

If I had to reduce it to a sound byte, it would be "imagine Tom Ford Orange Oud - and they actually did it right". I say that with great pause, because it's not Tom Ford - it's Kerosene. You can smell the stylistic difference, just as much as the similarity. Watch a Tom Ford video and Kerosene's video, and the difference in their styles is reflected in their scents. Where Tom Ford scents have "darkness plus money polish", this one has the dark, sweet, smoky polish of my #1 BBQ pit. Yet there is something very smooth, relaxing, and comfortable in both, and therefore I think that anybody who loves Tom Ford stuff would be wise to check this out. For my money, the non-scent aspects of buying a really nice niche debut scent are just as compelling as whatever grins one gets from buying stuff that costs so much nobody else has it.

More specifically, anybody who is considering Royal Oud or one of the Bond no.9 ouds should definitely check this out. And people who were calling the price on Royal Oud and non-glitter Swarovski out of line, may come to a different decision on this.

OK - now more about the scent. Bigsly - I'm not getting a lot of note separation, so this may not be your bag. That's not to say you can't get a lot of individual notes, but they mix like BBQ or Indian food - not your nut-encrusted pheasant and greens salad. The woods here are dark and rich - dry enough to feel woody, but never too dry. If most of what's not oud is spice and woods, I would say less spice and more woods. It's darker longer than Royal Oud, and has the desirable complexity of all the scents I've mentioned. The spice notes are not as distinct and individual as they are in Royal Oud after the oud backs off. The opacity here hangs on longer, but at a very nice level that keeps the dark orange aspect in constant focus. There is a certain submerged complexity in the Bond Swarovski Limited Edition oud that I totally dig, and you have something just as pleasing here. The oud is less intense than New York Oud, and even less than New York Amber. The style is also darker and more smoky.

But the part that just makes me love it to death is the orange bitters aspect. OH BABY. That's why I sampled, and that's why I bought it. There are moments when the orange even reminds me of TdH parfum. I tried to imagine JCE making this stuff, and the image it brought to mind was seeing him dressed in a black leather jacket and three-day-old clothes with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, sunglasses, greasy hair, hung-over, cursing and swearing, working out of the back of a repair shop somewhere off the highway in France, on a sheet of plywood on stacks of tires - looking every bit like Harry Dean Stanton, but still doing his amazing thing in an alternate life. Sorry, but I just have to own that fragrance!

The woody oud and the dark orange are like the best, old wood, stand-up bass you ever heard, with Barry White doing his "ooooooooh baaaabe" thing. The orange keeps it from ever getting dry and scratchy, and yet it has that slightly rough quality that brings Barry White's voice to mind. No shrill stuff....

Longevity - yes, it lasts, and the magic goes on for quite a while, but it still fades with time. It's like Noir de Noir in terms of longevity - actually a little better in terms of the magic moment, possibly a little worse overall (I'm at 5 hours, and it's almost a skin scent by now). You want it to keep going forever, but it can't. So? Buy another friggin' bottle with the money you just saved. And you won't need to, anyway. Everything I'm getting from it right now? One spray. Two or three, and I would have been sillaging good.

And the wife likes it, too.....

Oh, baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm interested!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Received my sample yesterday and had a full wearing yesterday and today. There have been many great reviews of this fragrance so I'll make mine really simple and give my honest impression.
    The notes that I can smell are Orange Bitters, Amber, Oud, and Woods. All the notes are very well done and none of them are overpowering and I'm a big fan of amber so I liked this right off the bat. The overall vibe is very comforting and it's like sticking your nose into a dryer sheet. It doesn't smell like one, but really gives you that relaxing feeling. On smell alone it's very good.
    Having worn this in 75 degree weather it held up very well and can easily be worn in the summer. Matter of fact I think it could be worn almost any time of the year. Projection is just OK and the one area where I think it could be improved. Longevity was good and it's an easy 6 to 8 hours.
    As far as quality I would compare it to the house of L'Artisan. Final thoughts are it smells great, has quality ingredients, well blended, versatile, masculine, comforting to the senses, and affordable. Great job Kerosene!

Got a sample and will be reviewing soon. Would love to keep hearing others thoughts though, too!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been quite happy with mine - I'm finding it hard to stop wearing and do my sampling and reviewing duties on other stuff. I have three Micallef that I should be smelling for a review, and all I want to wear is this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so how can the UK Basenoters get hold of a sample this side of the Atlantic?

You guys have peaked my interest for sure.

Kerosene, drop me a PM if you are able to ship to the UK!!

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    Ok, so how can the UK Basenoters get hold of a sample this side of the Atlantic?

You guys have peaked my interest for sure.

Kerosene, drop me a PM if you are able to ship to the UK!!

Thanks!!
    I can ship anywhere.

I'm so happy that your fragrance is getting a lot of love kerosene
    You're an awesome guy and you have some of the sickest reviews , I highly enjoy your videos ! especially the dior homme vid where the ending had me laughing for like hours , literally.
    Good job done man ! And keep uploading more videos , your humour is inspiring :P

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    ...especially the dior homme vid where the ending had me laughing for like hours , literally.
    Epic ending...

Post Thanks / Like

I received my sample Monday but I'm still digesting. Comments to follow.
    - Expect the unexpected

This is my take on R'oud Elements, Kerosene's first release. I wish more will follow.

http://wp.me/p13WRd-dZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    This is my take on R'oud Elements, Kerosene's first release. I wish more will follow.

http://wp.me/p13WRd-dZ
    Nice! And I agree - sweet is not a word I want to use to describe it, yet it is there, in just the right proportion to satisfy.

Desperately awaiting my bottle..... looks like the mailman has come..... let's see.....

Post Thanks / Like

I got my sample of this today. I gotta say, it is definitley niche quality. It's dark, rich.. something I would expect from Kerosene based on his style. The oud is without doubt present imo. I get it from the start. Although this is only my first impression, I do enjoy it, but it doesn't blow my mind. It's well done. I can say from experience that it is not easy to perfect a fragrance, allow it to transition through stages of notes and accords, to project and to last long. Everything has to be just right. 1 drop too much patchouli, or incense, or whatever your fancy could destroy your product. Hats off to Kerosene, he did an excellent job.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I got my sample of this today. I gotta say, it is definitley niche quality. It's dark, rich.. something I would expect from Kerosene based on his style. The oud is without doubt present imo. I get it from the start. Although this is only my first impression, I do enjoy it, but it doesn't blow my mind. It's well done. I can say from experience that it is not easy to perfect a fragrance, allow it to transition through stages of notes and accords, to project and to last long. Everything has to be just right. 1 drop too much patchouli, or incense, or whatever your fancy could destroy your product. Hats off to Kerosene, he did an excellent job.
    I agree. It's very well done - and much better than most of the fragrances found on shelves today. I am awaiting for my bottle to arrive this week....

Congrats Kerosene - great job!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the reviews sound wonderful, I look forward to smelling it soon.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

My first wearing was interesting. I'm not going to post a full review yet, as I want to give it a few more wearings. I'm not really getting the dark aspects others are mentioning though. I got a lot of sweetness - a sweetness similar to Reflection Man (or Le Male) in the opening. Although the sweetness faded over time, this almost camphoraceous vanillin like note did persist into the base and it gave the scent a bright rather than dark countenance to this nose.

Great longevity! I got 12+ hours of being able to smell it easily with only two sprays. I hope Kerosene does not cave in to the inevitable demands of a higher concentration, or if he does so, that he releases it as a separate fragrance or as an option ala Montale's concentrated juices.

I probably shouldn't have said anything before the full review but I couldn't refrain from posting something. The scent is definitely interesting and better than I expected!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I have received Bottle #8 !! Great stuff here.

I have been sniffing for the past hour and a half and it's definitely some different stuff. The package and bottle are awesome, Velvet pouch, shiny sparkly black bottle, very classy.

First spray is a blast of juicy powdery orange to me, with some warm incensy oud in the back and a tiny dry wood but not the synthetic wood you feel in Black XS this is nice warm dry wood.

Smells wonderful, hard to describe and almost leaves a taste in the back of your mouth when you inhale it almost like you ate some orange candy at first. The Oud sure seems familiar but I can't place it right now, of the different types I would call this more of the bandaid type, there's no barn or poo in here. The oud is way in the background and you have to be looking for it at first to smell it but it comes out more after the orange burns off some.

I might have more to share later, going to try this on some fabric also to see if I can keep that opening going longer. Glad I bought a full bottle this one is going to get a workout!

Thanks Kerosene, keep it up.

“Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Thanks so much, Quiptos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm waiting for Christmas day to open up my package! In the meanwhile, check out this interview and review:

http://maisqueperfume.blogspot.com/2...interview.html

I just found this and Copper Skies and Creature available at MiN New York. I am not sure if this has been posted already on the board.

KEROSENE at MiN New York

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

This is wonderful! I've seen a few of Kerosene's reviews on YouTube; never knew he released a few scents. I'll be sure to give these a try soon!
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

I was wearing this again yesterday and it strilked me. It reminds me of Habit Rouge EdP, only lighter and more modern. Sort of an Eau d'Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum if this makes sense.Habit Rouge EdP has an oud note so it makes sense to me.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Wore this today for the first time (thanks to a kind Basenoter who sent me a sample). I'm not ready yet for a full review but, so far, I can say this would make and HELL of a designer fragrance. Honestly, put on the bottle a designer's logo (Therry Mugler, Jean Paul Gaultier or whatever you want) and it will turn into a blockbuster in no time...Good job, Kerosene.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing product for sure! If there were only more designer products as good as this...

(I want to thank you for your blog too. I read it regularly!)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense