Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Founder

Blog Entries

Exclamation Rules for 'Items for Sale' board

What can I sell?

• Fragrances and other scented products such as candles, body powders, shower gels and soaps. The items must be used or second-hand, rather than purchased with the intention of selling on the board.
    • Products must be in original packaging – decant sales are not permitted
    • Selling home made products are not allowed.
    • The forum is for private sales only. The idea is to be able to get some money back on fragrances you no longer enjoy. It is not intended to be an outlet for commercial endeavours.

What are the requirements for selling?

You are a Basenotes Plus member
    OR
    You have been a member for over a year
    OR
    You have made over 500 posts

As long as ONE of these criteria are met, you can post a sale.

Rules when selling

• You must post prices of every item, auction style sales are not allowed.
    • Only one thread per member.
    • Delete the thread when all the transactions are finalised (i.e. all buyers have recieved their goods.

Threads will be deleted after 12 months if they have not been updated.

It is suggested that you include where you are willing to ship within your post, or in your post title.

Replying and bumping

Only the thread starter can reply to the post.
    If you wish to contact a seller about a sale, you should do so by PM , you can no longer reply to the thread.
    (Sellers, please ensure you have enough room in your inbox).

A seller can only bump their thread every 7th day.
    Anyone replying to their original post before 7 days will have their post merged with their last post.

Feedback

Please give appropriate feedback when you have taken part in a transaction on the Marketplace. This is the best way to help other members make decisions about who to trade with.

Before leaving any negative feedback, we strongly urge members to try and communicate with each other (politely and calmly) before doing so. It’s amazing how many negative situations can be resolved by talking.

When your sale is finished please delete your sale thread, or edit it to reflect that the sale is complete.

Protecting yourself as a seller (These are suggestions, not rules)

• If in doubt - do not ship outside of your country, unless you are happy dealing with issues of customs confiscating your package.
    • Ensure bottles are fully secure and packaged appropriately.
    • Obtain a proof of posting from your delivery service, and retain it until your buyer has received their package.
    • Please send as soon as possible once you have received the monies.

Protecting yourself a buyer (These are suggestions, not rules)

• Paypal offers Protection for Buyers for items not received and items significantly not as described. You cannot use this if you pay for the item as a ‘Gift’ or 'Friends and Family'. (Some sellers may ask for this in their conditions, and it is your responsibility to decide whether you wish to do this. In these cases the seller may add on the extra Paypal fees to the final price.)
    • Check the feedback of the member you are purchasing from (in particular feedback from members who have purchased from them) and decide whether you feel happy to do business with this member.
    • Be aware that when buying from overseas the item may get confiscated at customs and never arrive. If in doubt, only buy from sellers from your own location
    Last edited by Grant; 25th February 2015 at 06:13 PM.

Dependent Feedback 67 (100%) james1051's Avatar

Default Re: Proposed Rules for Items for Sale board

I would suggest changing "delete when sale is over" to "delete when delivery is confirmed." As a buyer, I want the record of what is offered at what price preserved until I have the bottle in my hand. thx,

Super Member Feedback 6 (100%) Tha_Doggg's Avatar

"The items must be used or second hand." What if you have a new fragrance (i.e. got it as a gift), you can't sell it? As long as you are not constantly selling new fragrances which could constitute selling for commercial reasons - it should be allowed.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 533 (100%)

Decant sales? Some members are now selling them.

Basenotes Junkie Feedback 84 (100%) bigbloke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Doggg View Post
    "The items must be used or second hand." What if you have a new fragrance (i.e. got it as a gift), you can't sell it? As long as you are not constantly selling new fragrances which could constitute selling for commercial reasons - it should be allowed.
    Yes, and also wanting to sell a back up bottle.
    Last edited by bigbloke; 6th November 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Basenotes Founder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Doggg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    Yes, and also wanting to sell a back up bottle.
    The second-hand element should cover both of these. i.e. the product shouldn't have been bought specifically to sell on the board. However I will reword

Basenotes Founder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Good catch. Will change

Basenotes Junkie Feedback 115 (100%) Grungevig's Avatar

"The items must be used or second-hand, rather than purchased with the intention of selling on the board."

This rule will be impossible to enforce because a person's intent for selling something cannot practicably be ascertained. You could require that sellers state in their sales threads that all items for sale are used or second-hand and not purchased with the intent of selling on the board, but there is no practical way of verifying or discrediting it.

If it would be helpful, I could share some ideas about how the sales rules could be modified to protect against use of the sales board to advance commercial endeavors.

Thanks for your efforts, Grant.

Basenotes Junkie Feedback 27 (100%) TurnerIII's Avatar

Good stuff Grant - appreciate your efforts

Perhpas a wall of shame sticky at the top to note the more notorious - as additional incentive to keep it all straight up and good
    Last edited by TurnerIII; 6th November 2014 at 03:32 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Maybe a suggestion could be made that the buyer state something about the item's provenance (I swapped for this in 1997 or I bought this at Barneys two months ago and it's the most recent reformulation, etc.).

Since communication is so critical, a suggestion asking persons who post sales and swap lists to check their inboxes every five days and more often when in the midst of a transaction may be helpful.

Basenotes Junkie Feedback 13 (100%) CT3's Avatar

I would love to have the ability to buy a new product if it just so happens to be what I'm looking for. If the seller happens to make a few bucks from me in the process, so be it. If buyers do a little research, they should be able to tell if they are getting a fair deal or not.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 8 (100%)

Presumably, items originally purchased from the Split Forum are still being classed as decants?
    Last edited by lpp; 7th November 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Presumably, items originally purchased from the Split Forum are still being classed as decants?
    Yes, this seems to be a grey area. Needs clarification please.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Good catch. Will change
    Thank you, "will change" to allow decants, or "will change" situation and lock those threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Yes, this seems to be a grey area. Needs clarification please.
    Thank you, "will change" to allow decants, or "will change" situation and lock those threads?
    It now says: "Products must be in original packaging – decant sales are not permitted".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerIII View Post
    Perhpas a wall of shame sticky at the top to note the more notorious - as additional incentive to keep it all straight up and good
    The sticky never worked for me; many members don't know that it's there, and it means you have to check there and on the Feedback page. And sorry to say this, Grant, the search box for threads is not always reliable, so when you search for a member on the Sticky they might not come up, even though they are listed there.

If everyone use the Feedback option consistently, it will be an up-to-date and reliable scorecard for sellers and buyers.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker