Code of Conduct

Default Budget supermarket fragrance beats Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle

Anybody tried this? What is your verdict?

Lidl’s very own perfume, Suddenly Madame Glamour EDP, has been literally flying off the shelves since it launched in May this year.

In a blind smell test conducted by the Perfumer’s Guild, 90% of women voted Lidl’s fragrance the winner when compared to Chanel’s Coco Mademoiselle. It just goes to show, not everything has to cost a fortune to make us feel glam. At only £3.99 for 50ml, we’ll be buying it in bulk. We wonder if any celebs will be heading down to their local Lidl?
    http://www.moremagazine.co.uk/articl...-mademoiselle/

Default Re: Budget supermarket fragrance beats Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle

I did not try it but I would give anything to see a perfume "literally fly".
    I remember an older thread about a Lidl perfume, maybe I can unearth it.

Mmm, no, haven't tried it..but really, it beats Coco? Idk, I love the Coco, that would be hard to beat for my nose!

Hope it is not a repost. I've been to Lidl earlier and saw it advertised there.

The test was carried out on a panel of 150 women by an independent expert.

John Bailey, founder of the Perfumers Guild, described Suddenly Madame Glamour as having “fresh citrus and floral notes merging to an alluring, exotic Oriental accord”.

He added that it was a “timeless, affordable and classic fragrance”.
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/255201

Thanks for the news. I honestly dislike Coco Mademoiselle, though. I wonder what distribution Lidl have, like Walmart, Target, Kroeger?

Here is the old thread about another Lidl perfume
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224...-what-is-in-it

This is not a new story. It was around earlier this year. I think that it was a magazine who ran a test panel. I remember reading about in in a newspaper because it was quite a big story. But you know straight away I asked myself questions like, what age were the participants? What are their usual preferences? Coco could be quite challenging as a comparison depending on your experience.

Anyhoo, go smell. You have a bargain there if you like it.

I have smelled it. Underwhelmed.
    Last edited by Foustie; 6th December 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Of course, sample selection is a big potential issue here. And so is the arbitrary comparison to Coco Mademoiselle. Are they in any way similar? Also, I am always suspicious about such praise, after all magazines do receive money to promote products.

But overall, it sounds like good news for perfume lovers with a limitted budget.

Sorry but... Coco Mademoiselle is setting the bar pretty low.

Guys, seriously this is MASSIVE. I bought it last Monday and I am telling you it smells NICER than Chanel Coco Madmoiselle. After about three hours it is so lovely and my husband loves it, and he doesn't know how much it cost, because he knows I like my perfume. It is not a cheap knock off, it stands oni it's own as a lovely citrussy, flowery bouquet. I paid 3.49 euro, which is peanuts, I have paid more for room fragrance. I'm in love anyway, and am so thrilled at my bargain. Please be assured that I do not work for Lidl or am in any way connected, I just love this perfume. I can't imagine that Lidl are making a huge profit, and if they are, something is wrong somewhere in the perfume world that a similar perfume costs over 70 euro here in Ireland. Off topic for a minute, they are doing the most FABULOUS fresh crab meat at the moment for 2.99, it tastes divine. I know = perfume and crab meat!!!! ha ha

I don't like Coco Mad anyway so it holds no interest for me.
    Have to say I have never seen testers in my local Lidil anyway.
    DONNA

My Lidl has testers. I tried this in the summer and found it similar to Mademoiselle, but without the longevity of a Chanel. I cannot comment on quality as Mademoiselle does not sit well on my skin, but for the price it's worth a punt. My teenage daughters both liked it.

I love Coco Mad, and now I'm very intrigued...must check this out at the weekend.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Ladies, I've bought it today. I have hundreds of perfume bottles but I had to have it at this price. It is not beter than Coco Mlle but it IS VERY GOOD. Unbelievably good for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    Ladies, I've bought it today. I have hundreds of perfume bottles but I had to have it at this price. It is not beter than Coco Mlle but it IS VERY GOOD. Unbelievably good for the price.
    Okay, I admit it is not BETTER than Coco Mademoiselle, but the SAME, to my nose anyway. I must also tell you that today I tried the new ALDI perfumes, three. They come in red, silver and gold. My nose is pretty good and on a blind test, because I had NO IDEA what they were supposed to imitate, but to me the Gold one smells like Chloe, it is absolutely lovely and it really lasts, the silver one smells like CHanel No. 5, unbelievably, and the Red one I think,,, smells like Chanel Allure. Wheter or not anyone agrees with me or not. I bought the gold one because I love it, I already have a bottle of No. 5, and a bottle of Allure, so I left them for another time. I really love the smell of these. Just my two cents.

You need to understand the fragrance tastes of the common person on the street. They could turn up their noses at Vol de Nuit in favour of some celebuscent.

I don't doubt some people will prefer a budget scent to a designer or a niche, but I don't think it's a rule across the board to generalise that budget scents will outdo costlier fragrances.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    Sorry but... Coco Mademoiselle is setting the bar pretty low.
    LOL!
    I would love to ry it out though. maybe i should go to the Lidl tomorrow...
    But I do wand to know who they got to join the panel. I'll believe the story if they were basenoters. if they were girls picked up from the local mall I am less convinced.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

"the common person on the street". what what what. Everyone has an opinion on a scent, i.e,. I like it, I don't like it, I love it, I hate it, I can't live without it. A person doesn't have to understand the complexities of a beautiful piece of music in order to enjoy it and to love it. If a car manufacturer made an exact copy of a top of the range BMW, everything mimicking a real BMW, except it was made by a different company, and blind tested it as a BMW, what do you think the results would be. If you got a fake diamond which was as hard, as clear, as beautifully cut and as big as a one carat diamond, which wore the same and looked exactly like a 1 carat diamond, what would you think about it in a blind test. If a perfume smells beautiful, lasts as long, and has a beautiful basenote as well as the initial top note, what makes it worse or better than a perfume that costs 10 times as much. Snobbishness, that's what. Just because one perfume states "Chloe" and another one "Aldi Admire", doesn't make the one that says Chloe better because it has a different name. "Admire" in my opinion smells very very like Chloe, a fragrance I love, and cost 5.99. It has a breathtaking basenote, sweet floral and powdery, something I admire very much in a perfume. I LOVE Chanel No.5, always have. and as soon as I smelt the Aldi perfume in the silver bottle, what I was smelling was Chanel No. 5, not the actual one but it's twin. This particular one lasts about 9 hours on my wrist, which is favourable to me. The Emperors New Clothes comes to mind here. I really think that people should experience these scents before passing judgement on them. I honestly believe that scents like Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit are gorgeous inimitable classic fragrances and will never be duplicated. But I also thought that Chanel No.5 was totally a stand alone perfume that would never be seconded, I think I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love expensive, exclusive scents, but if I can smell of Chloe for the price of 5.99, instead of 99.99, well........

My second argument, is if something smells really nice and pleasant and pleasurable, and people comment on what a gorgeous smell, what matters if it cost 5 or 90 pounds. Sorry for going on, but I think the common people in the street would just as much love Vol De Nuit as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by csarina View Post
    "the common person on the street". what what what. Everyone has an opinion on a scent, i.e,. I like it, I don't like it, I love it, I hate it, I can't live without it. A person doesn't have to understand the complexities of a beautiful piece of music in order to enjoy it and to love it. If a car manufacturer made an exact copy of a top of the range BMW, everything mimicking a real BMW, except it was made by a different company, and blind tested it as a BMW, what do you think the results would be. If you got a fake diamond which was as hard, as clear, as beautifully cut and as big as a one carat diamond, which wore the same and looked exactly like a 1 carat diamond, what would you think about it in a blind test. If a perfume smells beautiful, lasts as long, and has a beautiful basenote as well as the initial top note, what makes it worse or better than a perfume that costs 10 times as much. Snobbishness, that's what. Just because one perfume states "Chloe" and another one "Aldi Admire", doesn't make the one that says Chloe better because it has a different name. "Admire" in my opinion smells very very like Chloe, a fragrance I love, and cost 5.99. It has a breathtaking basenote, sweet floral and powdery, something I admire very much in a perfume. I LOVE Chanel No.5, always have. and as soon as I smelt the Aldi perfume in the silver bottle, what I was smelling was Chanel No. 5, not the actual one but it's twin. This particular one lasts about 9 hours on my wrist, which is favourable to me. The Emperors New Clothes comes to mind here. I really think that people should experience these scents before passing judgement on them. I honestly believe that scents like Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit are gorgeous inimitable classic fragrances and will never be duplicated. But I also thought that Chanel No.5 was totally a stand alone perfume that would never be seconded, I think I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love expensive, exclusive scents, but if I can smell of Chloe for the price of 5.99, instead of 99.99, well........

My second argument, is if something smells really nice and pleasant and pleasurable, and people comment on what a gorgeous smell, what matters if it cost 5 or 90 pounds. Sorry for going on, but I think the common people in the street would just as much love Vol De Nuit as we do.
    I beg to differ. It's just that most people have not even heard of Vol de Nuit, let alone smelled it.

Most people on the street are accustomed to what is commonly sold in fragrance stores like Sephora or department stores. They tend not to go for more unusual scents or niche.

Coco Mademoiselle is still relatively mainstream.

I don't know how many people I have seen turn up their noses at luxe perfumes like Guerlains and Carons when I see them in a fine department stores. I saw a young woman grimace upon trying Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum. Most people prefer fruity florals (if female) or aquatics (if male.) It's all marking and what is available on the shelves. Most buyers purchase according to the top notes and don't even wait for the drydown.

That is why they don't usually sell exclusive fragrances in fragrance shops or department stores. One has to seek out a boutique or specialty store that sells these luxe fragrances.

I have bought $8.00 knockoff scents from drugstores that I truly enjoy. They last a long time and are pleasant. Belcam makes a good line of smell-alikes, as does Parfums de Coeur.

How many people, for instance, would buy a knockoff of Vol de Nuit--if they could find one? But thousands buy knockoffs of J Lo, Britney Spears Curious or Acqua di Gio.

And whatever anyone says, one will always prefer a real diamond over a fake one if one can afford it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 17th December 2011 at 05:30 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'd buy a knock-off of Vol De Nuit, lead me to it. It's just that I think if you really like a fragrance, it doesn't have to be because you know it costs 100s or peanuts. I have smelled a lot of fragrances in my life, and while I do tend to buy Chanel and Guerlain, and the odd Annick Goutal, I also love many less expensive ones. I have yet to smell a celeb one that I really liked though, apart from Kate Moss's original one. The Aldi Admire is simply sensational, I am still smelling it on me the morning after and it is very amicable company indeed. I would love others to try it and see if they like it. It might be just me. By the way of courses if I could afford a real diamond (I have one actually) I would prefer it over a fake, but a good fake, which I also have, serves the same purpose and nobody knows and nobody has to. I think I will tell people tonight who admire my perfume, because they will, that it is some exotic sounding potion that I purchased in France on holiday. MIght have a bit of fun. Nobody would ever believe it came from a discount supermarket. Paint a romantic picture and add mystery, to see if it works. Just as an experiment....

Putting Aldi Admire on my to try list...
    However, I have tried a lot of the cheap scents, and a few I like but only if they don't pretend to be ''compare with''.

They did a est on tv once, long ago, with one of those cheap cardboard caskets of wine and a very expensive grand crux, however, they had decanted another cheap wine in the grand crux bottle.
    It was very funny to see he wine snobs prefer the ''grand crux''. However, it was done in a supermarket, and not in a wine shop, where more serious wine lovers would be found. Let alone a panel of serious wine lovers/experts.
    But it was amusing.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

By the way Frou, and the others of course, Aldi did not in any way advertise this perfume, it just appeared on the shelves on Thursday, in Ireland anyway, and I just happened to test them in the shop. They are not saying that they are knockoffs or anything, unlike Lidl who did say Madame Glamour was like Coco Mademoiselle, and had a fierce advertising campaign after there was a blind testing done on consumers. I am going to keep Admire my little secret while I can, because I think Aldi only do SPECIALS like once a year or something. I'm sorry now I didn't buy a bottle of the Silver coloured one, can't remember the name, that smells like Chanel No. 5, 100 mls for 6 Euro, unbelievable. I have no car today so by the time I get to Aldi tomorrow they will probably be gone, they only had a small selection. I think I am after turning into a perfume snob now..., heh heh. An ole bottle of potion identical to No. 5 for the summer would have been handy. Don't tell. If you come across them please give them a whiff and tell us if you are impressed. I still can't find ANYTHING online about these perfumes, which is a bit puzzling. I would have thought someone somewhere would have found them. Ssshhh....

Any updates on above? Anyone tried the Aldi perfumes yet? My friend got a bottle of the Exquisite Soir, the one that smells like Chanel No. 5 and she loves it, she says it lasts all day. I compared it with my No. 5 Eau de Parfum, and it really is a dead ringer. I amabsolutely gobsmacked with the price of these scents, 5.99 euro for 100 mls. I paid like 80 euro for my 50mls bottle of the real No.5. I still love it though.

where in the states can this be purchased, particularly Texas?
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Nosemolester (great name by the way) the shop is called ALDI, it is a German supermarket and general store. I get it in Ireland, and I am not too sure if it is in Texas, I know it is in some states. Your best bet would probably be Ebay, but you would be ripped off. Look up Aldi.com and see if there is a store near you. The problem is that these perfumes were a Special Buy for last week, and I am not too sure if they will be selling it again in the near future. Good Luck.