Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O'Drił brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Is there a place on the web where we can see a complete list of the line and their notes? You mention an additional 10 to try . . . Their website does not list Lalfeogrigio for example.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Is there a place on the web where we can see a complete list of the line and their notes? You mention an additional 10 to try . . . Their website does not list Lalfeogrigio for example.
    I added them all to the BN directory yesterday (excluding the 4 in the Prefhumance line which were released in 4 pieces only)...they should appear soon..

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Wow how have I never seen this thread before? Thank you alfarom for bringing this house to my attention, I'm going to attempt to email them for samples. These look incredibly promising!
    Everything said here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LINFEDELE 1003

The fragrance is accompanied by prose from Charles Baudelaire's "Spleen", a creepy bleak disturbing poem....

Leather, Laurel, Pine, Orange
    Incense, Galbanum, Tobacco, Styrax
    Juniper, Myrrh, Myrtle, Tobacco, Styrax

The fragrance itself is expansively green, and cold. I think that it should be tried on paper to fully appreciate that.

The first blast is refreshing, herbal, slightly bitter, a bit like an herbal apertif. On skin it becomes a bit more balsamic quite quickly, whereas on paper it retains its icy greenness. On me, notes seem to come and go throughout the development, pine, herbs, sage and thyme in particular but there is also juniper, lavender, artemisia, oregano and others listed in the notes. Galbanum clearly plays an important part. Although it does become a bit more balsamic at times (think fir balsam, and it does have styrax listed) it remains underscored with an astringent chill. At times a cool mint comes through and it is quite dominant. Mint is not listed in the main, abbreviated, description, but it is definately there and I did find it in the long list. There are many listed notes that I don't smell, and you might.

To me, the heart of this fragrance is camphoraceous, piney, minty, herbal with a cold character.

LINFEDELE 1004

"Wild Savage Notes", Dill, Orange, Turmeric
    Coffee, Toasted Kamut (grain), Petitgrain, Clove, Patchouli
    Incense, Ylang Ylang, Cardamom, Myrrh, Vanilla

As 1003, but LOADED with CUMIN, Coffee, and Toasted Notes, which change the character considerably. Again, Cumin is not noted in the short list but it is there in abundance and again we can see it in the longer list. But what does that matter anyway? These are experiential fragrances.

It is as if an animal has appeared in the landscape, and a pretty stinky one at that. It is far more pungent than 1003, it also has more depth, more presence. It makes 1003 seem very clean, whereas this one is dirty.
    I decided after Ladamo that I wasn't going to say anything about whether I liked each fragrance or not, or whether I preferred one to another, because what I like is of no importance whatsoever. It doesn't say anything about these fragrances. So it doesn't matter whcih one I prefer, but I do think that there is a choice to be made. LINFEDELE 1003 and LINFEDELE1004 might divide us. I can't wait!

1004 loses much of the sweat and dirt eventually, (surprisingly, you would think that it would stick around), but it does have a greater complexity in the drydown than 1003, and greater longevity on skin.

A little footnote. I woke up the other morning with the most beautiful green smell all around me, it seemed to fill the room, as if the air was full of cool, forrested oxygen. I had left the paper spills on my nightstand........

Added 25/03/2012
    I would say that if 1004 is intended to be the Feminine version of Linfidele and 1003 is intended to be a masculine version then I don't agree with those definitions at all. Preference will be a very personal thing with these fragrances but if we do have to define the two Linfideles by gender then I would say that 1003 is the feminine and 1004 is the masculine.

What do we think?
    Last edited by Foustie; 25th March 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: the usual, typos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And incidentally, sorry to be vulgar but I am knackered after that. I don't find this easy. Don't let me deceive you into thinking that the musings above are spontaneous...I have to study them. It takes me a long time. So you will forgive me if I go to the pub now!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Foustie, I'm LOVING your reviews and, most of all, I'm so glad you're enjoying this line. Despite the incredibly challenging price tags, I believe these fragrances are taking the "artistic" aspect of modern perfumery to a completely higher level. The fact they release every composition in very limited quantities is a clear sign that this is not just another greedy project. I started to refer to O'Drił as original paintings as opposed to the concept of industrial reproductions.

As another Basenoter used to say (if memory serves me well he was Sugandaraja), "you don't have to necessarely own a Rembrant to enjoy it".

I really appreciate the way they're doing their own thing. Silent, discreet, not much fuss about it. A concept that in nowadays "loud" market is way much missed. Totally opposed to the vulgar ostentation of opulence of many well known brands I won't name here...Kudos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I started to refer to O'Drił as original paintings as opposed to the concept of industrial reproductions
    Yes, exactly...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

alfarom, thank you again for your thorough and informative reviews. some other Italians around here ought to take note of your excellent English as well. Kudos to you my friend

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

alfarom, thank you again for your thorough and informative reviews. some other Italians around here ought to take note of your excellent English as well. Kudos to you my friend
    Thanks MB, I really appreciate that! I hope you'll have the chance to test this stuff pretty soon as I'm very curious to hear your thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying Leva today. This thing is weird, very complex, kind of aggressive, but really not in the traditional Poison-esque type of big floral way. In fact I'm not sure I'd call it floral at all.

The opening is a great big blast of complexity. It's sour, dissonant, astringent, kind of harsh, but also very natural smelling, in the sense of natural perfumery, yet I doubt it's truly all natural as it has a distinct forcefulness about it. The top notes are like a cloud of these to my nose:

Lemongrass - Palmarosa - Grapefruit - Passionfruit - Vanilla - Tuberose - Rosewood - Karo Karounde - Powdered Sugar - Leather

Yes, all of that. It's like on axis between an unsweetened Grapefruit Julius and a leather-bound book doused in sugar and floral waters, perhaps some pickling spice mixed in. I'm just a couple hours in and the floral side is emerging more; I'll add more later.

This is very niche, and your opinion on this will probably be split by how you feel about experimental lines like CdG, etc. If you look at fragrance as a place to explore new sensations, try it; if you wear fragrance to smell "nice", well...

I'm not sure if I'd ever own this, but I'm happy it exists!

Post Thanks / Like

Weirdly, after the three to four hour mark Leva dries down to a quiet, tangy, vanilla-fragipani scent; I'm at the six hour mark and it's a skin scent, and an uncontroversial one at that. Very top-heavy this one.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Suga, you're describing an O'Drił...no doubts! I'm so glad you got your samples...

While I'm a total freak for CDG's, at the same time I'm not sure I get the comparison, though. Maybe it could make snese for the "experimental" aspect but, overall, O'Drił has a strong artisanship vibe that recalls of ancient worlds and territories as opposed to the general industrial/futurist quality of most of the CDG's...(at least to me).
    Last edited by alfarom; 8th March 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Weirdly, after the three to four hour mark Leva dries down to a quiet, tangy, vanilla-fragipani scent; I'm at the six hour mark and it's a skin scent, and an uncontroversial one at that. Very top-heavy this one.
    Totally agree. All that screeching then a hug! It is a relief. "The nightmare that reveals the pleasure" !!!!!!

Actually Leva is not archetypal in this range, in fact it seems a surprising diversion. The dry down and deep drydown of some of the others is really interesting.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone....I've been testing Londa 1005 for the last two days...here's my take

I'm coming to the conlcusion that Mr.Pregoni is the master of the openings! Most of his compositions opens just like a whole opera played in a few minutes. While all this may sound a bit overwhelming and confusing, let me reassure you that everyhting it's incredibly detailed and clear and happens so naturally. Londa 1005 makes no exceptions.

If the name Londa 1005 (which stays for italian L'Onda - The Wave) together with the presence of "salty notes" make you think about an aquatic fragrance, be advised that there's nothing marine/ozonic/ oceanic here, in fact the fragrance opens with a blast of challenging herbs and spices (sage, cumin, pepper and others) paired with a bizarre pine/mint accord and joined by strong, astringent, sort of bitter-and-smoky notes. The house signature is clear and works just like a warning: "We're O'Drił, like it or lump it".

The overall sweaty/animalic vibe is immediately softened by aromatic citruses and other fizzy notes such as lemongrass and ginger that while blending perfectly with the pepper/mint/pine accord, drive the fragrance towards balsamic territories. In this phase there's something that may vaguely remind of Villoresi's Piper Nigrum but don't let this mislead you: Londa 1005 is one of a kind.

All of the above happens in a few minutes and, as I previously said, it's incredibly plausible and natural. It's like taking a thrilling ride on one of those winding slides at the water park. You're shaked, amazed and thrilled to then jump into a refreshing finale into the water.

After the opening, a salty/woody/vetiver base surrounded by the usual amount of herbs and spices, starts to break-in while coniferous notes and lemongrass settle down and serve as necessary refinements. A remarkable musky quality provides some mistery. No sweetness detected throughout. Once again, Londa 1005 is not something for everyone but, If compared to other deliveries from this house, this is surely among the most easily approachable. This is not to say that it's simpler (because it's anything but), but slightly more "familiar".

Let's make it simple: a terrific take on vetiver.

Wether you like it or not, I still think that Pregoni is one of the best things happened to perfumery in the past few years!
    Last edited by alfarom; 8th March 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another! Thank You! I am going to come back to your review of Londa 1005 when I have lots of time so that I can really take it all in.

Yes the signature is very strong, and uncompromising I think. We also have some themes developing around the Perfumers "Palette" which I have some thoughts about but I need more time.

Alfarom, more and more I am experiencing these fragrances as Landscapes, stories, and as you say, paintings.

Will come back soon...

Post Thanks / Like

Much to my surprise, I got along with Ladamo much better.

To my nose, Ladamo smells like a giant duet between two ingredients: immortelle and celery. There is a hazy mixture of other spices floating around the top ( my best guess is black pepper, ginger, turmeric, and possibly coriander and/or fenugreek, but the latter two are hard to identify against a background of immortelle this strong ), and a bit of patchouli in the base. There is a bit of off-citrus twang in the top akin to Leva's, but it's quite ephemeral.

This is easily the least sweet immortelle fragrance I've worn, and I applaud it on that. Very wearable, however, and I don't think the less adventurous should be scared off by the sound of immortelle and celery. It's balanced and pleasant.

As I love celery in fragrance ( and it can be hard to find ), so I may be up for a split of this one down the road.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

As I love celery in fragrance ( and it can be hard to find ), so I may be up for a split of this one down the road.
    I don't see Yatagan, Eucris, or Eau des Iles in your wardrobe my friend! Not that hard to find...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see Yatagan, Eucris, or Eau des Iles in your wardrobe my friend! Not that hard to find...
    Eucris and Eau de Iles I've yet to try, Yatagan's celery note is pretty mild and non-green compared to Ladamo. Really, this stuff smells like a kilo of celery sauteing on the stove to my nose.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Eucris and Eau de Iles I've yet to try, Yatagan's celery note is pretty mild and non-green compared to Ladamo. Really, this stuff smells like a kilo of celery sauteing on the stove to my nose.
    hehe it seems most people are more sensitive to celery than you! some describe Yatagan as celery soup or a steak with celery salt, etc. Eucris and Eau des Iles' celery seed is about the same strength as the Yat to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if Yatagan is too celery prominent for some, then I'd recommend avoiding Ladamo for sure!

I kind of wish I could add it to Mandarine Mandarin to bring up the intriguing celery part of that fragrance.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    We also have some themes developing around the Perfumers "Palette" which I have some thoughts about but I need more time.
    I'm very curious about your thoughts on this, Foustie! Report back a.s.a.p, please

Much to my surprise, I got along with Ladamo...
    This is easily the least sweet immortelle fragrance I've worn, and I applaud it on that. Very wearable, however, and I don't think the less adventurous should be scared off by the sound of immortelle and celery. It's balanced and pleasant..
    I'm so glad you liked it Suga. This house deserves much more attention, really. I don't know which samples did you get, but there's a lost more to discover...Vis et Honor, Lalfeogrigio and Londa 1005 are my favorites so far but I still have to go through 10 more fragrances (OMG)!

@Monkeybars...any news on your samples?
    Last edited by alfarom; 8th March 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Got some samples on the way to me, have no idea what they'll send but we'll see...
    Can't wait to try them.

Post Thanks / Like

Suga, you're describing an O'Drił...no doubts! I'm so glad you got your samples...

While I'm a total freak for CDG's, at the same time I'm not sure I get the comparison, though. Maybe it could make snese for the "experimental" aspect but, overall, O'Drił has a strong artisanship vibe that recalls of ancient worlds and territories as opposed to the general industrial/futurist quality of most of the CDG's...(at least to me).
    Oh, I fully agree with that. I guess I was being a little inept in description - I really meant in sheer weirdness alone.

Perhaps there's a stronger kinship with CB I Hate Perfume's odder ones. I definitely would compare Leva's odd treatment of florals with, say, CB's Cradle of Light ( different smells, same dissonant botanical twang ).

As a pair, Leva and Ladamo smell very antique and eccentric, in a modern way. "New Weird" fragrances...

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

As a pair, Leva and Ladamo smell very antique and eccentric, in a modern way. "New Weird" fragrances...
    yeah or, perhaps, "time-machine fragrances" in the context that a futuristic time-machine brings you back in the '700 LOL

BTW I loved the definition "dissonant botanical twang"! Just brilliant Suga

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

AN INTERLUDE..

The Perfumer; Angelo Orazio Pregoni;

Is he a man of fierce intelligence or fierce instinct? Is he a brilliant technician or an artist? Is he a Chemist or an Alchemist? Is he a Perfumer or a Magician?

He seems to be all of these things. To be able to create these shocking openings must require great technical ability. To create these incredible landscapes, stories, paintings, must take great artistic imagination.

The Palette;

I have some thoughts about the palette. There is a theme running through most (not all) of the O'Driu fragrances. The palette is primarily herbaceous, green, bitter sometimes. Amongst the notes that we see coming up time and again are Artemisia, Lavender, Laurel, Myrtle, Angelica, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Pine, Mint, Thyme, Basil, Rose Geranium, Marjoram, Sedge, Myrrh, Frankincense, Juniper.

Isn't that a great list?

(He also uses Dianthus (Carnation), various Citrus, Vetiver, Jasmine, Mimosa, Magnolia, Castoreum, Cumin and Sandalwood amongst others.)

But back to the first list. As well as smelling great there is something about that list. These are ancient materials. They have old, old magic. Some are associated with Pagan festivals. Myrtle is associated with the Beltane Fires, Angelica with the Solstice. Others have medicinal, or spiritual uses and associations. The clue must be in the name O'Driu, which we are told comes from the word Druid. In fact the plant most associated with Druids is a tree, the Oak. Perhaps this is yet to come in one of their fragrances.

I think that this most avant garde perfumer is using old magic here. What do you think?
    Last edited by Foustie; 14th March 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that this most avant garde perfumer is using old magic here. What do you think?
    Green and bitter you say? What I think is, now I'm even more curious to try them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great post Foustie. You've done a lot of research. Have you noticed that patchouli is used sparingly. I see it once as a mid-note and only once in the base. Very interesting. Also, in the samples I have there is not mention of my beloved amber.

I do have some good news, a well-placed source has advised me that there will be a less-expensive line by years end. So who wants to host a split of one of these bad boys(girls)?
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

@Foustie: you're spot on, as usual I completely agree...word for word.

@trex57: appearantly, some of their previous fragrances will be re-presented in a new series called "Haiku" (which will be more affordable price-wise). This new line will include compositions such as Linfedele 1004 and Londa 1005 among others that will be reorchestrated using only 8 essential oils. The final result should be like something "inspired" by the original fragrance...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Monkeybars, any closer to getting some samples? I really hope so. I would really love to hear what you think.

trex57, Alfarom. Thank You, you are both so kind, and thanks also for the heads up about the new ranges, hmmm. I also have a little information. I wanted to know about the production runs. Are they finite? It seems that they are but that would not preclude the possibility of, for example, Linfidele 1007, 1008, with a little difference each time. It still means that each batch is unique.

The "herbalists palette" became obvious to me quite quickly actually. It is great isn't it? And Rex, most children growing up in Scotland would know about the Druids, so no research as such, but I did look at what materials are listed most often in the long lists of notes, and I did check a couple of examples of what herbs are associated with which festivals in neodruidism, for your amusement!

((((Herby Hugs)))))
    Last edited by Foustie; 14th March 2012 at 08:52 AM.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

It still means that each batch is unique.
    Appearantly yes...

Post Thanks / Like

I think batch by batch production and marketing makes sense for the company. If they are honest, it makes sense for the customer as well. I wonder if it becomes more of a thing like I predict it will be. I mean it more as in "it's a feature, not a bug" style of marketing

I'm still anxiously waiting for my samples. My expectations are great, so it'll be a tough job for odriu to impress.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    My expectations are great, so it'll be a tough job for odriu to impress.
    Our fault Sari We've been praising this brand too much

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think batch by batch production and marketing makes sense for the company. If they are honest, it makes sense for the customer as well. I wonder if it becomes more of a thing like I predict it will be. I mean it more as in "it's a feature, not a bug" style of marketing

I'm still anxiously waiting for my samples. My expectations are great, so it'll be a tough job for odriu to impress.
    Some dissent can only be a good thing! I really look forward to hearing other peoples views. Incidentally, someone else may be about to wade in to the debate, wait and see..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some dissent can only be a good thing! I really look forward to hearing other peoples views. Incidentally, someone else may be about to wade in to the debate, wait and see..
    Saripatates-You're right, the comments made may lead to disappointment but you will find them, interesting.

Foustie-My curiousity is peaked. I think Puddle would have us in tears laughing if he posted reviews on them.

I recently tested Ladamo again. I was wondering if anyone got a "soya sauce" smell, very briefly, off the top?
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Foustie, I have found out about this line. I'm very intrigued, particularly with Linfedele 1003 with all those marvelous green-herbal notes. I've sent for samples and will post my assessments. Again, many thanks to Foustie and of course to Alfarom for starting this thread.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

How the heck did I miss this thread?? To think I'd spent 2 weeks in Italy, incl. 3 nights in Rome in December, just 5 minutes away on foot from Piazza di Spagna & Campomarzio! Oh well, not that I need another excuse to revisit Italy.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Odysseusm and Diamondflame...hope to hear your thoughts on this line very soon!

Post Thanks / Like

My package has unexpectedly arrived today. I can attest to the personal touch and a sense of occasion without going any further.

I've just poured some ladamo on me and my wife is wearing lalfeorosa. First impression is a strong one already. Nice to see such ballsy stuff. It's like a vintage, lost maitre parfumeur et gantier creation at this point.

yay.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, that was fast! Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh fantastic!! One at a time now!

I am sooooo looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them, whatever that might be!!

Morning Alfarom. I have been looking at Vis Et Honor along with your fantastic review. I totally agree with you that "Visceral" is the first word to describe that shocking opening. There is no better way to describe it. Isn't it something! After a time what I get from Vis Et Honor is that is built around a heart of very natural Roman Chamomile, dry and herbal, a sort of steadfast and calm feel to it, not shocking at all by that stage. I have some more thoughts, (again).I will come back about this one.... but for now I am going see what our other friends have to say.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at Vis Et Honor along with your fantastic review. I totally agree with you that "Visceral" is the first word to describe that shocking opening. There is no better way to describe it. Isn't it something! After a time what I get from Vis Et Honor is that is built around a heart of very natural Roman Chamomile, dry and herbal, a sort of steadfast and calm feel to it, not shocking at all by that stage.
    Just received my samples too. Gorgeous packaging. Class to the max. Your comments about Vis et Honor make me want to try it first. I'll report back . . .

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

That is great MonkeyBars. Look at this real bottle...

I will test my samples next weeks (this things take time to appeciate), but the first impressions of all of them are:

"Very herbaceous, natural, musky animalesque and ultra raw"

On skin they smells much better than smelling direct on sample applicator.

I will test my samples next weeks (this things take time to appeciate), but the first impressions of all of them are:

"Very herbaceous, natural, musky animalesque and ultra raw"

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Absolutely. Lalfeogrigio is absolutely outstanding on skin. The drydown it's just gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MonkeyBars, Daniel, I am so pleased that you are here with your samples! Thats just fantastic! Here we go.....

PS: You know I have to be awkward and say that these fragrances reveal quite a bit of their secrets when tested on paper. Really, a lot, particularly the drydown. Of course we will be wearing them on skin, but still...

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

PS: You know I have to be awkward and say that these fragrances reveal quite a bit of their secrets when tested on paper. Really, a lot, particularly the drydown. Of course we will be wearing them on skin, but still...
    That's true, but surely not from the applicator...

Post Thanks / Like

I dabbed another one of them today. Can't remember the name weird letters and numbers something
    Again very spicy, aromatic. The top notes are, not unlike ladamo, savory gourmet/culinary/kitchen cabinet tinged.
    These things are very tenacious. Attar tenacious. Drydown takes a while.

Whatever I'm sampling right now has eased on the garam masala and settled on this great horseshit, hay and balsamic amber conclusion. Very horsey. I'd prefer this base with a ripe fruit, floral top, but this works great as well. Quite a change.

I like it, but at this stage the two fragrances I've tried had similarities that seem to surpass "house accord".
    I hope they don't actually repeat themselves too much a-la montale.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I dabbed another one of them today. Can't remember the name weird letters and numbers something
    Grrrrrrr!

I like it, but at this stage the two fragrances I've tried had similarities that seem to surpass "house accord".
    I hope they don't actually repeat themselves too much a-la montale.
    Not at all. Yes, there are surely some similarities among many of them but nowhere close resulting, let's say, microvariations...go ahead with the others...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's true, but surely not from the applicator...
    Blotted onto good paper mouillettes. It is just the way I like to do it as well as trying on skin if it is something of real interest. Honestly, the drydown (or fixative) of Ladamo smells like asafoetida. I can still smell it weekslater, and with Vis et Honor it is Roman Chamomile, again still there, but yes very different on skin, and after all that is where we wear them!!

Saripatates, I just knew that this party would heat up once you got here!

Oh pfffft! I see! You mean smelling it from the little applicator! Doh! Of course. Pardon me. I am a dunderheid!

On the applicator they smell almost the same to me (11 samples)
    On the skin they smell hugely different (warm musky) while in the applicator theyre almost pure raw cold hebacious

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    On the applicator they smell almost the same to me (11 samples)
    On the skin they smell hugely different (warm musky) while in the applicator theyre almost pure raw cold hebacious
    My apologies Daniel. I misunderstood! I am with you now.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

An applicator fresh from the bottle will tend to emphasize mostly top notes, so all this makes sense.

The reviews are making me so curious. I love animalic herbal scents. It's totally my thing.

Looks like I might be heading up a decants thread if I like any enough . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently what I've tested was lalfeogrigio. My impressions are parallel to alfaroms'. The drydown is wonderful, the opening is raw and interesting. This is definitely the stuff for you MonkeyBars, if there is no birch tar in it. I can't detect any defined birch, the leather is styrax and animalic to my nose. It is difficult to deconstruct the fragrance. It's very close to being a blob but there is still some definition. A lot of natural ingredients does that to a fragrance, there are just too many molecules Also because it's mainly natural ( I think it is ) there is a lack of vibrancy, but it has a lot of texture.

It's interesting, empowering and cozy. I think our veteran nose Off-Scenter would like this a lot as well.
    The emergent sweet horseshit in the drydown is delicious.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I think our veteran nose Off-Scenter would like this a lot as well.
    Absolutely! I wrote him a few days ago to give him some details. Hope he'll take my suggestion seriously because he could REALLY enjoy some of this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

An applicator fresh from the bottle will tend to emphasize mostly top notes, so all this makes sense.

The reviews are making me so curious. I love animalic herbal scents. It's totally my thing.

Looks like I might be heading up a decants thread if I like any enough . . .
    That would be great. You'd fill the spots up quickly I think. Including me.

Cheers Rex

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Applied 4 onto strips about half an hour ago. So far they greatly resemble my natural perfumery experiments from a few years ago. They are certainly extrait strength. I would imagine 25%+; the top notes really leap off the applicator. Consider these impressions temporary and mainly having to do with the top and heart accords.

Londa edit: this is 1005 is a woody spice featuring cumin. Quite dry, a bit resinous and very pleasant.

Laltrove 1001 is a dry spicy-floral, subtle cumin and brighter. This one has interesting hidden depths. Very intriguing.

Laltrove 1002 mostly ylang ylang so far. A soft summer-field floral.

Vis et Honor very similar to an experiment of mine utilizing costus, clary sage, cade and copaiba balsam (and more...). The idea was to recreate the smell of a 100-yo leather-bound wooden trunk.

These are excellent compositions so far. They make me think I could start my own high-end perfumery using only the finest ingredients. All I need is a marketing team. I'd need a few months to nail down a release or two. You guys would love some of my old creations.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 3rd May 2012 at 04:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any advice on how Americans acquire samples? Sent them a request approx 3 weeks ago, never heard anything and never received anything.

Post Thanks / Like

These are excellent compositions so far. They make me think I could start my own high-end perfumery using only the finest ingredients. All I need is a marketing team. I'd need a few months to nail down a release or two. You guys would love some of my old creations.
    This is what I have in the back of my head. I also do some, let's say mixing, myself. And I agree these resemble natural perfumery experiments more than perfumes. The similarities with villoresi and tauer is also apparent, but while the raw ingredients used in these are even more expensive, these come off less as the work of a perfumer. I wonder how much of the resulting work is intentional. Did they really want the fragrance to smell of spicy fish in the opening or is it just the result of not fully comprehending the effects of dilution.

I'd also like to see what sculpture of soul thinks about this line. Apart from his great review style, he also dabbled with perfume ingredients.

PS: I'm wearing another one today. Londa. While it also smells good, it is also a spice shop. Maybe I randomly picked the samples to wear in the wrongest order possible...

PPS: I don't mean to be condescending if I seem so. It is good to have such a house and such fragrances around, if nothing for their difference, and the talk they make

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

They make me think I could start my own high-end perfumery using only the finest ingredients. All I need is a marketing team. I'd need a few months to nail down a release or two. You guys would love some of my old creations.
    That would be just great MonkeyBars. I'd love to smell your line. The fact you're so picky and your taste is so defined are amazing premises...

BTW, which Londa have you tried? 1005 or 1006? I only tested the 1005 at the moment and I get quite a considerable amount of vetiver out of it...

PPS: I don't mean to be condescending if I seem so. It is good to have such a house and such fragrances around, if nothing for their difference, and the talk they make
    Don't worry Sari, some controversy makes things much more interesting and stimulating. Agreeing can be beoring sometimes...

--------------------

On a side note, one thing is for sure: this stuff generates interesting discussions.