Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obessions)

-----
    Last edited by trex57; 10th February 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: post not required
    Please cancel my subscription to your issues.

This line sounds fantastic.

The 1000ml looks convidative for a split.

Not bad, 44 euros for 50ml.

Lets go???
    Last edited by d4N13L; 10th February 2012 at 01:32 PM.

----------
    Last edited by trex57; 10th February 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Power Where You Need It

Default Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Power Where You Need It

I've finally been able to sample the whole range of fragrances by O'Driù (including the four extremely limited editions that Angelo Pregoni composed for Perfhumance). These guys rock and their approach to perfume is one of the most geniunely artistic in years...

For further infos on Perfhumance check here and here (unfortunately only in italian language).

My report on the whole line will follow soon...

Power Where You Need It

I finally got to test Vis et Honor. This stuff is strong, epic and sort of primitive/visceral...

If you're interested here's my full review...

Vis et Honor is breathtaking isn't it. I've sampled it carefully on three seperate occassions and I'm blown away. The mixture of the bitter woods and almond with juniper, olive, incense and wormwood is perfect. I kept smelling myself.

NOW, do you think they have travel size?

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Vis et Honor is breathtaking isn't it. I've sampled it carefully on three seperate occassions and I'm blown away. The mixture of the bitter woods and almond with juniper, olive, incense and wormwood is perfect. I kept smelling myself.
    One of a kind, really. I also get a subtle fougere-y accord during the opening that provides an old-fashioned vibe that's pretty interesting indeed

NOW, do you think they have travel size?
    LOL, I don't think so. But Daniel's idea sounds attractive

Do you mean a split? If thats the case it might be a good idea. HMMMMMMM, but would we have to throwdown to keep the original bottle? I'm just saying is all. You gave it a 7.5 eh? I would have been a bit more generous maybe 8 to 8.25.

Whats next young man? Maybe Linfidele?

Regards Rex

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Do you mean a split? If thats the case it might be a good idea. HMMMMMMM, but would we have to throwdown to keep the original bottle? I'm just saying is all.
    I think it could be a good option if you don't feel like splurging your money. I stick with a full bottle but still have to decide which one. I've to go through 13 more samples...

You gave it a 7.5 eh? I would have been a bit more generous maybe 8 to 8.25.
    7.5 out of 10 is pretty good

Blog Entries

LADAMO

Wow! Bosky, bosky, bosky.

The first man. The genesis of man. Don't expect the smooth chested, lithe hipped, Adam of renaissance art. This Adam is the man, a he man. Grrrrrrr. This Adam walks on bare feet in a really bosky terrain. He is a hunter gatherer. In fact, to me this fragrance is more suggestive of a terrain than of a man.

Dense to begin, opening and drying over time. Black liquorice, a pronounced dry dusty immortelle, fenugreek, ginger, galbanum. A dry bushy terrain. Then wood and tobacco, dried grass, rich and dry.

Based on first impressions this reads as an immortelle driven fragrance. But if you take time, try on paper and skin, consider the concept, the notes, you will discover much more. But actually I don't think that the importance of these O'Driu fragrances is in the breakdown of their notes. It is in the emotional reaction to the whole experience.

Power Where You Need It

I love that review Foustie! Adam walking on bare feet made my day Love ya!

Great review, Foustie, I've worn it a couple of times myself. I think you're spot on. I've been through Leva as well. Although, noted as feminine it is effortlessly unisex. I hope you get to try it and post another review.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I love that review Foustie! Adam walking on bare feet made my day Love ya!
    Love ya back!

Hi trex57.

Let me tell you that I was still intimate with Adam for maybe fifteen hours yesterday and even after a bath! So no concerns about longevity. The deep, deep drydown was very close to the skin but tenacious. More human in the end actually, with a spicy accord, the fenugreek note definately, and a suggestion of cumin, and also a note not unlike asafoetida, so back we go to the immortelle!

I should conclude by saying that Ladamo was an exploration for me. It is not a fragrance that I would wear. But for those who favour immortelle, curry spices, or perhaps even those who are into dry tobacco fragrances it is really worth trying.
    Last edited by Foustie; 28th February 2012 at 09:34 AM.

Power Where You Need It

today was LALFEOGRIGIO and, believe me, it was just WOW!

LALFEOGRIGIO:
    TOP NOTES
    orange, elemi, jasmine, rose

MIDDLE NOTES
    broad bean tonka, geranium, wormwood, capsicum

BASE NOTES
    sandal, musk, angelica, tobacco, coffee

Lalfeogrigio blew me away! Literally! I don't know where to start as there is really a lot going on here...

Ok, first of all I learned that the perfume pyramid above it's just indicative. Appearantly it should represent what the fragrance is supposed to evoke with its main accords. When you purchase the full bottle (or sample), the packaging comes with an additional list of actual notes that in this case includes more than 50 (fifty) ingredients involved in the making of this concoction (allergenics excluded). If, for certain reasons, this may sound a bit pretentious or off-putting, at the same time Lalfeogrigio delivers exactly what he promises: a huge fragrance.

What it smells like? I guess this is one of those compositions that may change depending on the wearer. Don't get me wrong, in this specific case, I'm not saying that your body chemistry will make the difference but, considering the incredible amounts of ingredients involved, it really depends on how much you are sensitive to certain notes instead of others. Me? I get an initial blast of culinary herbs and spices (Piper Nigrum, Sage, Cumin, Laurel, Oreganum, Rosemary) that is arresting to say the least. As previously experienced with other compositions from the same house, the opening is brutal, unpretty, rough...If you're familiar with Villoresi's fragrances you'll probably know what I'm talking about. Sort of an ugly duckling type of stuff.

If you survived to the initial "assault" you're now ready to be treated to a consistent amount of resins (Boswellia Sacra, Boswellia Carteri, Myrrh, Styrax). The transition is repentine but skilfully handled by introducing an extremely sophisticated floral accord (rose and jasmine) joined by vanilla and tonka beans. In this phase, Lalfeogrigio plays the juxtapositions game contrasting the sweet base with a strong masculine vibe provided by geranium, leathery castoreum, spices and absynth/lavender. WOW it's musky too! Perfectly balanced!

If this may sound a bit over the top, let me tell you it's not. Everything is so detailed and clearly detectable just like an high resolution picture. The main point of streght of Lalfeogrigio is to be incredibly bold but at the same time never loud or vulgar...pure symphonic perfumery. Another remarkable aspect is that everything smells incredibly natural (as opposed to synthetic) which, nowadays, is quite a plus...

I could go on saying what else I detect but I prefer to stop it here. Just let me write a list of fragrances/brands that popped up (is it gramatically correct? Anyone?) in my mind while wearing this outstanding concoction...

Parfum Sacre, Jicky (and other Guerlains), Musc Ravageur, YSL Nu EDP, Black Cashmere, A Taste of Heaven, Santa Maria Novella, Villoresi, Ambre Sultan, Ambre Precieux...

Mandatory for anyone into outstanding drydowns.
    Last edited by alfarom; 2nd March 2012 at 01:51 PM.

I'm now officially hyped.
    Only the mention of musc ravageur provides a warning but the main review dismisses that.

me wants

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I'm now officially hyped.
    Only the mention of musc ravageur provides a warning but the main review dismisses that.

me wants
    Let me tell you Sari that those names are not necessarely linked to Lalfeogrigio. They just came to mind as a sort of stream of consciusness...I decided to include them in my review just to give an idea of the several levels of appreciation that this fragrance can deliver...

Yeah that's how I understood it. I do it myself too.
    I like my sweets finely balanced, and this one seems balanced, complex and with a punch.
    I'm just, as always, overly cautious with "warmth"

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I like my sweets finely balanced, and this one seems balanced, complex and with a punch.
    Same here and I'm honestly glad it delivered exactly what I expected...Let me add that, so far, this is the most easily approachable in the house' range but consider that I still have to test 10 more

Power Where You Need It

On a side note: this guy is a sucker for lavender

Excited.....getting...more...
    for swap/sale:

Wow how have I never seen this thread before? Thank you alfarom for bringing this house to my attention, I'm going to attempt to email them for samples. These look incredibly promising!

Blog Entries

LEVA

It would be unwise to underestimate Leva, there is more to her than it first appears.........

Leva is a story. An olfactory story. Screened in fast forward.

Grapefruit, Jasmine, Black Pepper
    Curcuma, Vanilla, Jatamansi
    Lemongrass, Benzoin

If you have been fortunate enough to try other fragrances in this range, the opening of Leva will surprise you because it is very different from the others. The list of notes cites Lemongrass in the base but to me Leva begins with Grapefruit and lemongrass, enhanced with ginger. It is a yellow thing, bright and optimistic. Sunny. The notes are very natural, very true. It seems simple, too simple....

But soon, something happens, something familiar, yet unfamiliar, creeps in, you know that you should recognise it but for a moment it is elusive, and then suddenly you realise that it is jasmine, but an hallucinogenic jasmine, difficult, not pretty. All of a sudden this simple thing has become discordant, conflicted.

If you are anything like me, you may find jasmine a difficult mistress. Beautiful and menacing in equal measure. Leva is no longer golden, it is green and white, the topnotes are incongruent with the jasmine, it speeds up, it is uneasy, the jasmine dominates now, it is screeching..... You are about to say stop when all of a sudden it is OK. The ginger gains ground, it is warmer, it calms the whole, the jasmine softens. Instead of conflict we have harmony, relief.

Then, a surprising softness, vanilla, benzoin, as soft as a mothers caress. Now,The Stockholm Syndrome. The captive falls in love with with the captor. The wearer falls in love with the fragrance.....

Leva was not what I expected. Having experienced Ladamo, I expected that she would be an earth mother, verdant, fecund, but she is not.
    I have tried her several times. Just now I have gone back to the narrative that comes with the fragrance. The narrative that I confess I found so amusing at first, and I can't believe that I see "under the sun" listed as a note (the beginning), and "the nightmare that reveals the pleasure" (the middle). I can't believe it!! Really, I can't believe it. How does he do it?

Like the other O'Driu fragrances there are a huge number of notes listed in Leva. You will see that I have only talked about a few, but this is my honest overall impression. I totally support Alfarom's assertion that each individual may experience these fragrances differently, not just because of ones ability to recognise notes, or ones sensitivity to certain notes, but also because they will take you on an experience which will engage your emotions, your memory, and your imagination....
    Last edited by Foustie; 3rd March 2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo

Sound Scents

I too just discovered this thread today. I also just emailed them to see if they would ship samples to the States, as the notes in Linfedele 1003 in particular look right up my alley. That said, I am afraid to like it because I don't see how I could justify the approximate $600 price tag no matter how good it might be... Still would love to see what it smells like though... Thanks for making us aware of this little known house Alfarom!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Quadrille by Balenciaga

drseid-Sadly, thats whats stopping me. I cant do that much money. I've been obsessing over the juice that I have left. I hope TPC or ALZD get it but I have my doubts.

I had no idea these were $600 each. Total turnoff, not into supporting companies who use high price points to make a statement.

Did I miss the part on where to get samples?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I had no idea these were $600 each. Total turnoff, not into supporting companies who use high price points to make a statement.
    Some of them are not that price (but at least one is even more). The one I think I will like most happens to be about that price though (380 Euros). I know what you mean about being turned off. It does make you not want to like them, as it is very difficult for most folks (myself included) to pay that kind of dough on any one scent. That said, while I can't see myself buying a bottle (maybe i could participate in a split), my inquisitive nature can't resist the temptation of trying the line out.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Did I miss the part on where to get samples?
    There is an email someone posted earlier in the thread.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I too just discovered this thread today. I also just emailed them to see if they would ship samples to the States, as the notes in Linfedele 1003 in particular look right up my alley. That said, I am afraid to like it because I don't see how I could justify the approximate $600 price tag no matter how good it might be... Still would love to see what it smells like though... Thanks for making us aware of this little known house Alfarom!
    Prices are actually confusing. Many of these fragrances have been released specifically for customers who asked Pregoni for a personalized composition. They're pretty much all released in very limited quantities with incredibly precious bottles and, therefore, extremely high priced (not all of them though, as most of the line is around 250 euros which is surely not more than Puredistance, Roja Dove or Xerjoff). Now that the brand seems to try to expand, maybe they will increase their production and, maybe, resize their prices as well...let's see...

On the other hand, the idea I'm getting by exploring this line and their philosophy, is that these fragrances are exactly at the opposite of the spectrum of the so-called "industrial-products". It's like having an original painting on your wall, or having a simple reproduction...

I would ever buy a full bottle of any? I don't know, I don't exclude it but, so far, I can say that some of this stuff is extremely solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    If you have been fortunate enough to try other fragrances in this range, the opening of Leva will surprise you because is very different from the others.
    This is a FANTASTIC news Foustie. I was actually a little worried about the strong signature that could have turned into a sort of limit...