Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Default Re: O'Drił brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

My initial thoughts on Ladamo and Leva
    These are very initial which need updating already -
    Theonger Ladamo was on more the more the curried immortelle came out which was less appealig
    Whereas I began to warm more to Leva and consider it a top class vanilla which I will wear more and more

I tested Ladamo and Leva for some time and im convinced that i LOVED Leva and HATED Ladamo.

Leva is heavy on lemongrass, wich i like a lot (one of my favorite teas, also we have it in my parents house, so im very familiar with the smell).
    Has some swetness and other notes, wich i dont remember now, but i loved the evolution.

Ladamo in the other hand, HELL, its a CurryBomb. Blergh its turning my stomach. Smell like pure curry or Yakisoba. For sure i dont want to smell like this.
    Quite unique and high end, but NO NO NO its not for me.

Will test the numbered ones and the others in the next weeks.

Alfarom, you will host a split of these bottles (1L) for us?

daniel you will hate the others as well
    my blindsniff just ended and I plan to test two more before I leave towards hedonist

The others share that indian salty condiment feel with Ladamo?
    Oh nonono.

I tested one on skin for a very short time just for curiosity when i received the samples and it was very musky, but i dont remotely remember wich was.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Alfarom, you will host a split of these bottles (1L) for us?
    I still have to test LEVA but, so far, the only ones that I would consider buying a full bottle are LONDA 1005 and LALFEOGRIGIO. The former is in the Amouage price range so not completely unaffordable while LALFEOGRIGIO is $1000 bucks for 100ml which is quite outrageous...I don't see 1L bottles for these two...

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I plan to test two more before I leave towards hedonist
    What do you mean Sari? Are you sending the samples to Hedonist?

Oh nonono.
    LADAMO is the only one in the whole range to have the STRONG fenugreeg note (the one you call curry) but all the others share a bold herbal quality that is quite love-or-hate...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I still have to test LEVA but, so far, the only ones that I would consider buying a full bottle are LONDA 1005 and LALFEOGRIGIO. The former is in the Amouage price range so not completely unaffordable while LALFEOGRIGIO is $1000 bucks for 100ml which is quite outrageous...I don't see 1L bottles for these two...
    So far, LEVA is the only one I'd consider buying a bottle of!
    I haven't tried the Londa fragrances yet, I may crack on to them tonight.
    I tried Lalfeogrigio the other night, I wasn't convinced
    I find the house signature far too obtrussive in these fragrances, they begin to lost their identity...

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    So far, LEVA is the only one I'd consider buying a bottle of!
    I haven't tried the Londa fragrances yet, I may crack on to them tonight.
    I tried Lalfeogrigio the other night, I wasn't convinced
    I find the house signature far too obtrussive in these fragrances, they begin to lost their identity...
    You will hate LONDA...too much vetiver for you...

What do you mean Sari? Are you sending the samples to Hedonist?
    I'm going on a short vacation to UAE so naturally there will be other fragrant adventures to follow.
    I was planning on taking the odrius with me to hedonist though
    I'll keep the vials for myself obviously XP

Power Where You Need It

I'm going on a short vacation to UAE so naturally there will be other fragrant adventures to follow.
    I was planning on taking the odrius with me to hedonist though
    I'll keep the vials for myself obviously XP
    He already received the whole line Have a nice trip Sari...

should have guessed :P

Power Where You Need It

should have guessed :P
    LOL I made sure he had some...

I can't wait for him to smell LADAMO! He will HATE me! LOOOOL

I gave it a quick try, I actually quite like the lemongrass/ginger going on in it. But to be honest, after working my way through the line the last week or so... they are just... too similar, I have nothing more to say about them
    They are all "O'Driu with a hint of..." patchouli or rose or jasmine. I'm sure this makes my nose sound immature, but I think there's no doubt that they all lack strong identities with the exception of a mere one or two. I'm tired of the signature, it was interesting at first, and then it becomes frustrating.
    When reviewing them, I've found myself going "Opens with a near identical bitter herbal concoction... let me wait five minutes for it's personality to come through", which is tedious.
    I've tried to like this brand, but I don't

Power Where You Need It

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Forfreddie.

*still waiting for mine to arrive*

Geez, Louise.

I did not get Ladamo--was looking forward to that one

Blog Entries

Oh nonono.

I tested one on skin for a very short time just for curiosity when i received the samples and it was very musky, but i dont remotely remember wich was.
    So nice to see you here Daniel. I find that there is undeniably a very strong signature in the O'Driu range but there are clear differences and variations too. Remember also that with Latrove, Linfidele, and Londa they come in pairs (ie 1003, 0114) and the pairs are variations on the same theme. So they will be similar to each other. Ladamo and Leva are juxtaposed I think.

I said ages ago that I wouldn't say which I preferred because with this range that would be meaningless but given how we are going I will say a little bit..

Linfidele 1003 is a clean expansive green which wears beautifully. Its sister (in my view brother) Linfidele 1004 has the same notes but with the addition of toasted notes and cumin. It depends on your personal preferences which one of the two you would find most appealing. I dont like skanky, dirty or sweaty fragrances so my preferred one is the 1003. I really like it. Other people may prefer the more animalic version.

Again with the two Laltroves, (which don't seem to have been mentioned yet), they are aromatic and more floral than the others, they are variations of each other. For anyone who is thinking that these O'Driu fragrances must be completely weird and unwearable, can I say that, for me, the Laltroves have an accord reminiscent of Geranium Pour Monsieur, one of them in particular, 1002 I think. I am sorry I cant check just now. They are lovely.

OK lets admit, some are more like Olfactory Art Installations but not all, no no, not at all.

I have had my samples for a while now and I am still not all the way through them.

Best to all,

F

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Geez, Louise.

Hi Brian, so pleased that you now have your samples. See you here soon.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I have had my samples for a while now and I am still not all the way through them.

Best to all,

F
    Exactly! You need to get warm to them...I see the point of the "strong signature" (absolutely undeniable) but what leaves me a tad surprised is that people seem to be always looking for "different" fragrances but when they find some, they're not ready...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Geez, Louise.

Wow, great Brian. Ok, you didn't get Ladamo but you got Lalfeogrigio which is fantastic!

I'm sampling 1001 now, and about half an hour into it I find a great walnut husk smell in the fragrance. It is one of the smells I've been looking for fragrances. Coupled with sharp and bitter citrus and astringent notes this would be wonderful. I wonder what makes up this accord.

Lovely fragrance btw. Wife loves it too.

Blog Entries

Yes Sari, the Latrove 1001..

Power Where You Need It

Trying LEVA on paper today and while I'm still trying to figure out what's going on, my initial impressions is the biggest NO to O'Drił so far...This stuff smell just like cough syrup. I will come with a more precise idea as far as I'll find the courage to apply LEVA on my skin but, as much as I supported this line, LEVA is just awful to me. The combination between white florals and SWEET vanilla juxtaposed to a strindent citrusy element, it's just plein gross. Sorry!

Please, don't let this disencourage you. White flowers are very hit or miss for me...

Hi everybody! There are a lot of great comments here. I received a nice assortment of samples recently. I think Foustie is the only one to review Linfedele 1003 -- and this is the one which interests me the most. I'll try it and post some comments soon.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

now things get interesting

With the exception of leva and lalfeorosa I think you'll like the general direction. But I wonder if they will hit the mark for you, mr. ody, sir.

Power Where You Need It

Glad to have you here Ody. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts...

On a side note I recently came across a couple of fragrances you might be interested into...If you'll have the chance, try to give a test to the Testa Maura's range...my thoughts here.

Blog Entries

Hello Ody. It is so nice to see you here!

Hello Foustie and everyone! It is thanks to Foustie that I heard about this line.
    Today I tried Linfedele 1003. It is an intriguing and complex scent.
    The juice is a deep golden colour.
    Sniffing the juice in the vial, I immediately got a powerful leather-laurel (bay leaf) combination.
    I tried Foustie's advice and put a bit on paper. That brought galbanum (a bitter celery-leaf note) to prominence.
    On my skin, the galbanum is extremely fleeting. The scent quickly goes to leather and laurel, with a brief sulphur note which reminds me of the tops of chopped green onions. At this point, the scent is a dark green sort, quite leathery, and dry. It is cool (perhaps a bit minty) but not cold -- the leather gives it considerable warmth.
    The leather recedes and combines with a dusky, round scent which is also a bit soapy. This phase is quite complex and I struggle to identify it. I feel that is benzion from the styrax with myrtle and myrrh. AT times this phase seems to suggest warm rubber!
    Then, some marvelous smoky incense appears. This is a new and very pleasant phase, sadly a brief one.
    Next, a coumarin (hay) and tobacco note appears. It is more sweet and grassy, with a kind of reed-stalk-wood pith aspect. The interior of a newly-snapped twig comes to mind.
    The scent seems quite masculine to me: it is not sweet, floral or pretty. It is powerful, weighty, leathery-green. I guess in style it is a chypre.
    I like it but I am not in LOVE with it. It is an amazing scent. Perhaps it is a bit too weighty/dense for me, and a bit too sweet in the dry-down. Still, any green fan should try it.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 10th April 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Zut Alors!! Sorpresa!! Thank You so much Odysseusm. How fantastic to have you here! Why did I not notice the leathery aspect of Linfidele 1003? I do now!! Not at all dominant for me though. Yes it is very complex, and from your description it is definately colder on me than it is on you. Brrrr. I really like it! It is my favourite. May I make a request Ody? Would you mind contrasting one (or all) of the pairs? I am really interested. So would you tell us how you find Linfidele 1004 in comparison to 1003, and give us your ideas on what that is about? Bear in mind that O'Driu define the even numbers as masculine and the odds as fem. We don't all agree with that though, do we boys?

Alfarom, is that Leva screeeeeching at you? How dare she!! Go on, slap it on yourself and tell us what happens on skin. Screeeech/hug. Not an earth mother, a harpy!

Monkeybars, my apologies. I didn't think that anyone had said anything about the Laltroves but I have noticed that you did! Thank You.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Alfarom, is that Leva screeeeeching at you? How dare she!! Go on, slap it on yourself and tell us what happens on skin. Screeeech/hug. Not an earth mother, a harpy!
    Most definitely Foustie. She plays an ultrasonic whistle that drives me nuts....I had to run away from her.

Blog Entries

She plays an ultrasonic whistle that drives me nuts....I had to run away from her.
    Haaaaa Haaaaaa! How true! When I was talking about Leva I said that I almost wanted to shout stop!!

The notes do say "the nightmare that reveals the pleasure"...