Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: O'Drił brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Many thanks, Foustie and alfarom for the heads-up. I've just been in correspondence with Anna and samples should be winging their way to me very soon. However, they're currently out of LAFRO and LINFEDELE 1003 samples...

Hi guys ! ... I too contacted the email address mentioned earlier in the thread. However, unfortunately just like Trebor I too have still had no joy, samples or contact back now many weeks later.

Is this Anna lady just mentioned supposed to be at said compramazio email address (?) ... Do you guys think I should maybe try a little cheeky "name-dropping" for better results ... or is Anna's email address other than : [email protected] ??

Any help will be much appreciated ...

And thanx Alfarom for the heads-up on this most intriguing house. As so far (other than Profvmvm Roma), Italian fragrance houses haven't really done much for me so far (??) So I'm really hoping I'll be feeling the alchemagical powers of O'driu
    ~ Cheers !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 11th April 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Today I'm trying Linfedele 1004.
    On paper it is sweet, woody, spicy, with a toasted grain note. The juice is a deep golden colour.
    On my skin, I note the following. It is oriential in style since it has spice and patchouli. That being said, it is a lean oriental: substantial but not heavy or cloying, and not too sweet once the initial phase burns off. It is not green in any sense, and I see little relation or pairing with Linfedele 1003. The ingredients are well blended and pleasing.
    It is interesting that there is a spice positioned at each phase of the scent's development. The interplay between tumeric - cloves - cardamom suggests cumin at many points. Cumin always conveys a somewhat sharp, male-sweat note, and that is note which I don't immediately care for. Here, as that cuminesque note abates, other and more attractive notes emerge. The cumin never entirely goes away, but it is better when it is balanced than when it dominates, as it does in the early going. The tumeric gives a dusty/woody character which is quite true to form. At times, the woody note suggests cedar pencil-shavings.
    I really appreciate the incense here. If the cumin was scaled back about 25% this might be an ideal scent; as it is, it's pretty good. The incense is airy and smoky. At times there is a warm rubber note (which I also noticed in Lindfedele 1003).
    The dry-down is smooth, assertive, and to my mind completely masculine (though a woman with verve certainly would enjoy it). I'm happy to report that the vanilla is NOT a problem, in fact (thankfully) I can't even detect it!
    I like this a lot -- perhaps I'm not going to rush out and buy it (given the price) but it is pretty good stuff.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

PS -- I had already planned to review this. But Foustie's request cinched the deal! Great minds think alike. Cheers! ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Ody, your assessments are fantastic, to read, and to consider, and to learn. I am really enjoying them, and it seems to me that you are enjoying reviewing the line so far. Please keep up the good work!!

So, you don't think that there is much, if any, of a relationship between Linfidele 1003, and 1004? Hmm. They are certainly different from each other. The fact that you find this is interesting in itself because in fact there are a lot of comments about the whole range being too similar. After reading your review of 1004 this morning (on my phone, I couldn't get into Basenotes all day!!), I decided to wear it, and I do definately get that same green landscape of 1003 in the background, but with many extra facets in 1004, which to me, suggest an animal, (a pretty stinky one too to begin with) but yes, the animalic notes recede unexpectedly. I actually found it to be really nice today, lovely at times. On previous occasions I found it just too cumin heavy.

Looking forward to more..
    Last edited by Foustie; 13th April 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks, Foustie! I have an unofficial role as "dean of green" and I bring very specific expectations to any green scent. Also, my skin temperature and other factors make scents react very differently on me than others. Once I was on a sniff-a-thon with another BNer. She and I sprayed the same scent. It went to basenotes within 30 seconds on my skin, took about 20 minutes on hers. :/ Makes it necessary for me to be very attentive to those fleeting top notes.
    odysseusm

Today I'll discuss Ladamo.
    The juice is an olive-gold colour.
    On paper, it pops with fenugreek/curry, herbal-green, and minty-refreshing notes.
    On my skin, it reveals a deeper, dirtier, darker, earthier character. The reference to "earth and roots" is exactly right. The scent is complex, even in its early stages. It certainly seems masculine to me, given its dark, sweaty tones. Then... amazingly it opens up and brightens! I find a very cheery, minty sort of note (perhaps juniper and crisp gingerroot). It also gets quite woody. I really appreciate the bright note amid the dark earth, moss and woods -- this is a genius touch of design.
    As the scent progresses, it develops a very mossy-lichen note. At times, this strongly suggests celery leaves (but not always). At other times, the anise sort of note takes prominence. A bit of a shape-shifter, this.
    Of the scents I've tried to date, I like this one best. It is powerful and challenging, but I love green scents and this certainly has that aspect. As has been noted it is extremely powerful -- one or two little dots more than suffice.
    odysseusm

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Of the scents I've tried to date, I like this one best. It is powerful and challenging, but I love green scents and this certainly has that aspect. As has been noted it is extremely powerful -- one or two little dots more than suffice.
    Glad you liked it Ody. I'm a fenugreek/immortelle freek and as much as I liked LAFRO, I still find it a bit one-dimensional. That being said it is surely quite an unconventional, straight-forward and sort of unapolegetic masculine which is always something good to smell nowadays...

If memory serves me well (but I may be wrong) you're not among the biggest fans of vetiver but I strongly encourage you to test Londa 1005 which pairs this rooty element with a prominent coniferous note....
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th April 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Actually, I am a big vetiver fan, alfarom. Vetiver + conifer sounds excellent to me.
    My next review must be Leva (as other half of the Genesis pair) but after that Ladamo 1005 will get a visit!
    PS - looking at the notes, I think you mean Londa 1005 (?)
    odysseusm

Power Where You Need It

Actually, I am a big vetiver fan, alfarom. Vetiver + conifer sounds excellent to me.
    My next review must be Leva (as other half of the Genesis pair) but after that Ladamo 1005 will get a visit!
    PS - looking at the notes, I think you mean Londa 1005 (?)
    Londa 1005, yes sorry Yes, of course I know you're a big fan of conifer but I don't know why I thought you wasn't much into vetivers...anyway, even stronger recommendation then...
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th April 2012 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Hi guys ! ... I too contacted the email address mentioned earlier in the thread. However, unfortunately just like Trebor I too have still had no joy, samples or contact back now many weeks later.

Is this Anna lady just mentioned supposed to be at said compramazio email address (?) ... Do you guys think I should maybe try a little cheeky "name-dropping" for better results ... or is Anna's email address other than : [email protected] ??

Any help will be much appreciated ...

And thanx Alfarom for the heads-up on this most intriguing house. As so far (other than Profvmvm Roma), Italian fragrance houses haven't really done much for me so far (??) So I'm really hoping I'll be feeling the alchemagical powers of O'driu
    ~ Cheers !
    Same. No samples, nor even a response to my email :/

Today I'm wearing Leva.
    "The nightmare that reveals the pleasure" -- indeed.
    The juice is an olive-oil colour.
    The scent starts with a slight citrus note and the promise of a woody vanilla. Lemongrass quickly appears. More vanilla, with a touch of cocoa; and more wood. THEN a really odd and rather uncomfortable fruity-ozonic note appears. It is like a strange, Lovecraftian version of a hyped-up peach/bergamot note. Some have called it "screechy" and it is kinda wierd and certainly not to my taste. That gradually fades away, and I'm left with a soft, powdery, close-to-the-skin scent. It is quite pleasant. It has a ginger/metallic brightness which cozies up to a woody-vanilla note. I normally detest vanilla but it is OK here in its muted form. This last phase seems feminine to me, somewhat pretty and a bit sweet. But it is not too sweet, and it is pleasantly woody so it could work for anybody. I'm not sure it is worth the trip through the X dimension to get there, though. :/
    odysseusm

Today I'm wearing Londa 1005. This one disappoints me more than another other. Why? The over-abundance of cumin.
    For me, (or on my skin at least) cumin always comes off as a very tangy, male-sweat scent. Perhaps in a scent which is a spice melange the cumin could duke it out with other spices. But here, in a scent with so many potentially interesting green notes, the cumin completely dominates and pushes everything else aside.
    The juice is a dark green olive colour.
    The scent starts in a very salty way, and even a bit stinky. It quickly changes to something rather smokey with a strong mint character. The mint note grows and gets very cool and fresh, but never synthetic or like toothpaste. At this point I'm quite pleased, sensing herbs, mint and the potential for the development of green-grassy (vetiver) notes.
    BLAM! Cumin appears and that's it. Game over. This isn't a complex spice jar like Piper Nigrum. No, it's just cumin-centric all the way. At best and at times, the cumin retreats enough that I can imagine I'm smelling some vetiver or the revival of mint. At other times, the cumin is just all there is.
    I never got a coniferous or pine note. I did get some mint in the early going, but that's it.
    I don't really see the attraction in a cumin note. It smells exactly like my cumin spice jar -- not complex, not particularly interesting in and of itself. Clove at least gives a barbershop vibe, but cumin just suggests chili.
    Scale back the cumin and this might be something interesting. The cool from the mint could work well with slightly less aggressive warm spices.
    And really, all these wonderful green notes... wasted. :/
    odysseusm

Power Where You Need It

I couldn't disagree more Ody (with all the due respect, obviously). Cumin is there, no doubt, but there's also a remarkable lemongrass/ginger component that soften the general herbal quality. The pine note remarks its presence during the transition between the top notes and the heart and, together with mint, generates a dark green vibe that made me vaguely think about Fille En Aiguilles minus the sweetness...the rest is just musk and vetiver to me...Surely among my favorites...

I'm glad it works so well for you, alfarom. Now, at 6+ hours after initial application, the cumin has finally burned off and I'm aware of some light herbal/mint notes. They are nice.
    odysseusm

Power Where You Need It

I'm glad it works so well for you, alfarom.
    Well, sort of...

I am staring at my big pile of samples. They are staring back at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I am staring at my big pile of samples. They are staring back at me.
    Half way through my batch I stared at mine with complete dis-hope and unwillingness to try any more. It's a shame. I've left them for a while to come back later, when the O'Driu signature will hopefully be exciting again.

Blog Entries

Still here. Lovin' it!

Last edited by lisa judith; 16th April 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Glad that you are still around, Foustie!
    Today I'm trying Londa 1006. Of the ones I've tried so far, I like this one best. It is a marvelous dry herbal melange, very satisfying.
    Two points. 1. the picture on the card shows coral and sea shells, and the scent has "marine notes". I don't get any marine or aquatic notes at all. 2. there are citrus notes listed at each phase. I don't get any citrus notes, perhaps a slight lemongrass in the drydown.
    The juice is a light olive green. I suspect that this is the colour of most in this line. I couldn't detect any difference between the scent on paper or on my skin.
    The scent is quite dry. It is a melange of herbs, and in addition to the ones listed I detect rosemary, mint and tarragon. The herbs are powerful, at times bitter or astringent (which I like). They are quite green. There are some spicy notes from the styrax and pepper.
    The dryness and lack of any pronounced florals make me feel this is a rather masculine chypre in style.
    I like this scent very much.
    odysseusm

Blog Entries

Londa 1005

Prelude

Last night I dreamed a Selkie came.........

The Orcadain people live in the Orkney Islands which are located between Scotland and Norway where the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean meet. They believe in a creature called a Selkie, Seal people with human eyes, who come out of the sea and shed their skin to make love to humans. Selkie women are beautiful and the men are handsome. To keep a Selkie you must hide or burn their skin so that they can never leave. One story tells of a female Selkie, who's human husband hides her skin in the bottom of a trunk, but she finds it years later and she leaves him, and she returns to the sea, leaving her husband and their three children heartbroken. Selkie men are great lovers. To get one you must shed seven tears into the sea.

Londa 1005 is a Selkie's fragrance.

Londa 1005;
    LONDA is a play on the Italian word for wave. The fragrance is accompanied by verses from Coleridge's, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". The Mariners ship is still, in the Doldrums.

The opening of Londa 1005 is again shocking, stinky, and in all honesty to me it smells fishy, blood and guts, pungent, a bit stagnant. I find this phase really unpleasant. There are other O'Driu fragrances in which the opening can not be said to be pleasant, Vis et Honor is a prime example, but they certainly make you sit up and take notice.

Saripatates has explained that Cardamom in large concentrations can smell fishy to some people. I don't see Cardamom listed but whatever has been used to create this impression, the effect must be intentional in this context.

The stinky opening recedes and again we have a shape shifting fragrance. Notes of lemon, lemongrass, bitter herbs, strike a slightly discordant phase of great interest. Then a cool pine and mint accord and the fragrance is transformed. There is something aromatic, reminiscent of Geranium, then vetiver.

The fragrance ends as the wind finds the sails of the Mariners ship.

Or as the Selkie slips back into the Ocean leaving just a memory....

Blog Entries

Me again. I would ask you to forgive me for the romantic review but actually I make no excuses. I will leave the technical reviews to our friends who know what they are talking about! For me, the best I can do is to try to explain the experience of these fragrances as I find them, and maybe give a few ideas of how they smell to me. Really, to me they are so evocative of stories, or landscapes.

With Londa 1005 I am right in the middle of Alfa and Ody (I should be so lucky!!). I have tried this a few times and sometimes the cumin seems to be more dominant than others. I agree with Ody that the opening stinks. I love the cooler phase. Like Alfarom I really get lemongrass and ginger and the cool dark green phase. This fragrance grows on you and reveals itself to you over time. Initially I would have said that it was one of my least favourites, but now I am not so sure.

I wish that one of the other girls would come along. Hopefully someone will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    With Londa 1005 I am right in the middle of Alfa and Ody (I should be so lucky!!). .
    hehe, the Alpha and the Omega! I loved your review, Foustie. And I find it so interesting how scent will react differently on women and men, and among different skin types/chemistries/temperatures. This is why we need many opinions -- these is no single answer or perspective which is universal.
    I know that my skin picks up and magnifies spice, particularly cumin. It does the same for vanilla. Even teeny portions of either will grow huge on me. I don't mind cumin but I find it tiresome. I rarely like vanilla -- too cookie-oriented to be something I want to wear.
    I wish that I could find those other lovely scents in Londa 1005 which Foustie and Alfarom have found.
    odysseusm

Power Where You Need It

Hello everyone, I just got a full bottle of the new Laurhum (to be released in these days). This a fragrance that Pregoni composed for the Campomarzio70 stores in Rome...here are some pictures, report will follow really soon.... I'm overjoyed!!!

Notes include: Amyris, Mandarine Verte, Vanille Extrait, Petitgrain, Tabac, Camomille, Yalng Ylang, Laurier Noble, Cannelier Feuilles.
    Last edited by alfarom; 23rd April 2012 at 08:04 AM.

Blog Entries

How FABULOUS!!!!!! I am really so delighted for you! Can't wait to see your review.

Today I'm trying Laltrove 1001. I like it -- but it seems awfully similar to Londa 1006. I'd have to do a side-by-side to understand the differences which seem pretty subtle at this point.
    Once again, the juice is the typical olive green colour.
    On paper, the scent is a bit sweet, has citrus notes, and spicy-herbal notes. Certainly even there, the tangy anise pops.
    On skin, there's no citrus for me. The scent is dry, herbal, astringent, spicy and a bit woody. Perhaps it is slightly rounder in character than Londa 1006. Sometimes it has a slightly toasted note which I did not detect in the Londa. Also a bit of a barbershop and leathery vibe which is nice. The barbershop character combes from the pepper and cinnamon, far more satisfactory spices than cumin in my opinion. The scent settles close to the skin, and the dry-down has good rosemary notes. Even here, there may be a faint ghost of cumin... perhaps it is the house spice.
    Again, very nice but also very similar to Londa 1006. I can't see having both.
    odysseusm

Today I tried Vis et Honor.
    Quirky! Not bad, but very quirky.
    To me, it is a deliberate exercise in odd-ball fustiness: old attic, old books, old leather suitcase, old fur coats. A closed-in antique store... a bit claustrophobic.
    On paper: strong bay leaf/laurel note, and lotsa green in the background.
    On skin. Smokey, VERY VERY VERY minty. Oh boy, that cholophyll is super-minty. The scent is quite green. And also the fox fur note is very prominent, in a minty-gamy way. My grandmother used to keep a mink stole in a cedar chest and this certainly reminds me of that. Back to the green notes, which are complex and intriguing -- though somewhat in competition with the relentless minty/cool notes.
    Now the mint/green joins with a leathery note.
    At times, the scent is an old-school fougere; at times an old suitcase with leather trim, at times an old fur coat.
    The distant dry-down is a nice, mossy fougere. And at times I get a spicy note which seems more like cinnamon than cardamom to me.
    I'm neutral on it. That foxy note is odd and I'm not sure what it adds other than oddity. But the green notes are pretty good.
    odysseusm

I will retest them in the next days with a full wear. Until now my favorite is L'Eva.

I am still staring at the pile of samples. They're giving me the evil eye.