Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Sound Scents

Default Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    After Drseid's review of Lalfeorosa I felt it was about time to give it a full wear...what an experience. Thanks Drseid.

Another outstanding delivery from O'Driù.

If you're getting sick of beautiful and catchy top notes evolving into synthetic and predictable drydowns, O'Driù is well worth checking out. In this context, the italian firm, has one of the most solid ranges available on the market. Ok, their fragrances are surely not the most easily approachable around and (may) need some wearings to be fully understood and appreciated but, once you've become familiar with the house challenging herbal signature, you'll be redy to discover some truly amazing compositions.

Lalfeorosa could make a perfect place to start exploring this wonderful range being, IMO, one of Pregoni's easiest to like deliveries. The usual culinary, sort of apothekary opening is toned down to quickly reveal a mindblowing drydown of spicy floral patterns (mainly rose and jasmine) and sweetish/balsamic elements such as tonka, vanilla and patchouli. Smooth yet incredibly rich, warm and extremely well balanced. A wower.

For several reasons, Lalfeorosa made me think about the most classic Guerlains (ok, I said it). Don't get me wrong, the fragrance doesn't share many objective similarities with the french firm but, at the same time, it shows the same solidity and overall top quality of ingredients. It's classic yet incredibly innovative and, most of all, when they do it right, there's no match for anyone else...
    Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Alfa. I was wondering what your experience would be, as I know scents with rose components tend to generally not be to your preferences. That said, I think one of the things that separates Lalfeorosa from other scents with rose is that the rose really is not the main star, IMO. It just works very nicely along with the spices to form a great overall accord. That makes the scent much more accessible, even to folks who normally don't care much for rose generally. Great stuff.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    well laph, just get all of them. odriu doesn't seem to be making simple pleasantries. if you are going to skip on one, maybe l'eva, I'd say.
    Not really planning on skipping any of them but I thought from reading earlier posts that they don't necessarily send you the whole line when you order samples.
    Perhaps I misunderstood?

that's correct my package was missing lafro. and I didn't really ask for any specific fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Alfa. I was wondering what your experience would be, as I know scents with rose components tend to generally not be to your preferences. That said, I think one of the things that separates Lalfeorosa from other scents with rose is that the rose really is not the main star, IMO. It just works very nicely along with the spices to form a great overall accord. That makes the scent much more accessible, even to folks who normally don't care much for rose generally. Great stuff.
    You're right Drseid, I'm surely not among the biggest fans of rose-centered fragrances. This actually doesn't mean that I don't like rose at all but I usually (not always) tend to dislike compositions where rose play the star role. Lalfeorosa is definitely a blend with some rose thrown in, which is perfectly fine for me. OUTSTANDING fragrance,

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Not really planning on skipping any of them but I thought from reading earlier posts that they don't necessarily send you the whole line when you order samples.
    Perhaps I misunderstood?
    Glad to have you around Laph. All O'Driùs are produced in VERY limited batches so, depending on the period, they may be out of some. They'll send what they have at the moment....

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Agree.

So far this is the one that grabbed me. I'm just making notes as I work thru them all and then I'll do a second run but initial impression for Lalfeorosa went along the lines of 'bewitching evening oriental'. I sense opoponax underneath but that may just be a ghost note from the balsamic / tonka mix. Two non-perfumista colleagues here mentioned 'sophisticated Indian Princess' and 'saffron, like Indian dessert' when they tried a dab. This one is quite sexy.
    Seriously, I knew you would have liked Lalfeogrigio

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Glad to have you around Laph. All O'Driùs are produced in VERY limited batches so, depending on the period, they may be out of some. They'll send what they have at the moment....
    Oh O see, thanks for the clarification alfa.

Do you know why Anna insists on asking for a VAT number, NIN, Social Security Number etc?
    In Australia we have Tax File Numbers and they're certainly not to be given out - they're solely for use by the government and financial institutions.

I don't know but I believe it's something related to customs...(just a guess)

Do you know why Anna insists on asking for a VAT number, NIN, Social Security Number etc?
    In Australia we have Tax File Numbers and they're certainly not to be given out - they're solely for use by the government and financial institutions.
    Good morning from O’DRIÙ.
    First of all, I’d like to thank the basenotes team and to express our appreciation for this forum important role in promoting perfumery culture, thanks also to everyone for the interest in O’DRIÙ perfumes: your opinion is very important to us, and we are grateful for every comment.

Our marketing colleagues reported a question about the service “O’DRIÙ samples” and our international shipping policies, and I hope to help.
    Effectively, our request for a VAT code/social security number/other could seem a bit odd. We understand, but this is a duty our tax laws impose us.
    As you know we ask a minimum participation in samples’ postage costs (samples are a free item, and postage costs are greater than what we ask for). In Italy, companies have to fill an invoice for every payment they receive, and this invoice needs a VAT code. Moreover, for international sales we need to fill a particular form which lists every sale and identifies each customer: this form has a blank for VAT/other code, and we have to fill it.
    We are strongly committed to O’DRIÙ’s friends privacy: every data will not be shared with anyone, the VAT code (or everything like this) will be used only to perform our tax duties and everything it’s protected by the Italian privacy law “D.Lgs. 193/03”.

From the O’DRIÙ’s staff and from Angelo Orazio Pregoni, thanks again.

Dependent

Welcome to Basenotes O'Driu!

Some more mini reviews. Just from paper again here. I picked 4 that don't have numbers since those are kind of confusing. . .

Ladamo: This one is mostly celery seed and what smells to me like fenugreek, and possibly saffron. Quite intense.

Lalfeogrigio: I get cumin and a green floral here, I think jasmine sambac.

Lalfeorosa: Another ylang ylang with a very light drydown of nothing much -- perhaps a touch of amber and copaiba.

Leva: I get lots of vetiver and cedar and some driftwood. Dry and rooty.

So far all of them smell 100% natural to my nose. I'm not getting any familiar synthetic animalics like galaxolide or even other common synthetics like Iso E and ambroxan. If there are synthetics, they are very very well hidden.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 3rd May 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Driù helpdesk View Post
    .... [snip] ... Effectively, our request for a VAT code/social security number/other could seem a bit odd. We understand, but this is a duty our tax laws impose us. .... [snip]
    [snip] .... : this form has a blank for VAT/other code, and we have to fill it. ... [snip] ...
    With respect, I'm afraid I too have a problem understanding this. I too have been wanting/hoping to get samples from O’DRIÙ as they have thoroughly intrigued me. And am more than prepared to pay for postage costs as I see that as a more than reasonable request (especially when posting internationally). However, I too have never before, when requesting samples from a company (internationally), been asked to provide a VAT number. ...

You mention the requirement being either "Vat/other code" ... If I were not predisposed to releasing a VAT number, may I ask what other "code number" would equally suffice for you, that I could perhaps use instead of ???
    (Thanking you in advance !! )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 3rd May 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Many companies sell all over the world. They have a specific organization devoted to this and –according to their national laws- specific sales licenses to sell goods directly to final customers. The “direct to customer” kind of sale usually doesn’t need an invoice: a receipt is often the only thing that is needed.

The “O’DRIÙ samples” service has been developed only to help persons to discover our fragrances sending them free samples with a partial payment for postage costs, in few words it’s not a “direct to customer” on line shop.
    This makes things easier for a certain side, but obliges us to create an invoice for each “sale”, even for a some eurocents one… may be in the future we will be able to offer a different service, but now this is the only possibility.

You write from the United Kingdom, so your “National Insurance Number” equals to our “codice fiscale”, and it’s enough to fill the international sales form that we have to fill; however, if you have any other doubt or you think you need any assistance, Anna and our entire staff are at your disposal to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    So far all of them smell 100% natural to my nose. I'm not getting any familiar synthetic animalics like galaxolide or even other common synthetics like Iso E and ambroxan. If there are synthetics, they are very very well hidden.
    Hi, thanks for your welcome.
    Yes, everything in O'Driù perfumes is 100% natural: only natural extracts, nothing of synthetic.

Bye!
    Last edited by O'Driù helpdesk; 3rd May 2012 at 03:02 PM.

I have since resolved my query with Anna. She was very helpful and attentive. Fantastic service.

I was able to provide an alternate number to satisfy the “codice fiscale” requirement.

...[snip] You write from the United Kingdom, so your “National Insurance Number” equals to our “codice fiscale”, and it’s enough to fill the international sales form that we have to fill; however, if you have any other doubt or you think you need any assistance, Anna and our entire staff are at your disposal to help you.
    Thank you very much for your prompt response, and more detailed explanation. Much appreciated ! ...
    I must admit I've only seldom dealt directly with Italy for perfumes/samples. Which is probably why I'd not yet encountered this specific "system" before. ... (Although, I must admit, I still can't help thinking it just sounds so unnecessarily extreme. ~ But who am I to criticise other's laws and requirements. )

I will hopefully be contacting Anna then ..... (as soon as I dig up my Nat.Ins.No. that is. - My memory is not what it used to be )

& once again thank you !

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

Dependent

Hi, thanks for your welcome.
    Yes, everything in O'Driù perfumes is 100% natural: only natural extracts, nothing of synthetic.
    Thanks for the info. I knew there wasn't any castoreum! (I doubt they are using any real animal ingredients. Though real ambergris would make the price seem a bit more sensible...)

Thanks for the info. I knew there wasn't any castoreum! (I doubt they are using any real animal ingredients. Though real ambergris would make the price seem a bit more sensible...)
    Weird, Castoreum is clearly listed among the Vis Et Honor ingredients (not in the pyramid).

Dependent

Weird, Castoreum is clearly listed among the Vis Et Honor ingredients (not in the pyramid).
    Hm, I stand corrected . . . so these guys are sourcing real beaver juice huh?! woah

Dependent

dupe
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 17th May 2012 at 01:19 AM.

I knew this line had a sinister secret. No wonder I can't open the envelopes.

Hm, I stand corrected . . . so these guys are sourcing real beaver juice huh?! woah
    If memory serves me well Vis Et Honor is not the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I knew this line had a sinister secret. No wonder I can't open the envelopes.
    Open those envelopes and face your destiny LOL
    Last edited by alfarom; 4th May 2012 at 02:30 PM.

YEEEAAAH Brian. Take it like a man.

LOL

Good morning from O’DRIÙ.
    First of all, I’d like to thank the basenotes team and to express our appreciation for this forum important role in promoting perfumery culture, thanks also to everyone for the interest in O’DRIÙ perfumes: your opinion is very important to us, and we are grateful for every comment.
    A very warm welcome to O'DRIU!

Sound Scents

Here is my mini-review of Lalfeogrigio after a couple days wearing it. In short, I loved it. :-)

Lalfeogrigio opens with what now appears to be the O'driu house style of featuring a bracing blast of herbs and spices. I am getting a lot of oregano, dill weed, saffron and maybe even a smidgen of cumin (but I am sure I am missing a whole bunch of others in there too). These spices mix with the same heavenly subdued rose undertone that impressed me so much when I smelled Lalfeorosa. The heart notes hold onto the herbal mixture with the rose now very much in the background, then adding a large dose of hot chile pepper into the mix, slightly tempered by tonka bean that only sweetens the scent a tad. At this point I would say that Lalfeorosa and Lalfeogrigio are very similar, the differences between them quite subtle. Then shortly afterwards, the rose subsides in Lalfeogrigio and inserted in its place a mugwort (wormwood) note emerges. Wormwood is consistently a note that I have great problems with, but not here. I don't know how Mr. Pregoni did it, but in Lalfeogrigio it just meshes in with the other herbs effortlessly, like the wearer should just expect it to be there and not call undue attention to itself. The base features a sublime mixture of real semi-sweet sandalwood, meshing with the remnants of the spice and a very subtle coffee note that I detected in another of his other brilliant creations. Musk is in the base as well, but it is so well-balanced it does not come off as dirty or off-putting in the least. Projection and longevity are about average.

I could go on and on about the things I like about Lalfeogrigio, but in truth I would almost be copying my prior review of Lalfeorosa so I will spare readers the repetition. If I had to choose a favorite of the two masterworks, it would be Lalfeorosa, primarily due to the rose playing a bit more of an overall role in the scent's development that appeals to my personal reference for that note, but it is almost a toss-up. Both scents are easy recommendations to try if you have the ability to do so. In the case of Lalfeogrigio specifically, I give it a very strong 4.5/5 rating. A winning concoction, for sure.

I really did not mean for it to be a comparison review of the two sister scents, but it is near impossible not to compare them as they have so many similar characteristics...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Terrific reivew Drseid, thanks for your thoughts!!!

Sound Scents

Terrific reivew Drseid, thanks for your thoughts!!!
    ... And thank *you* for pointing me to it, and the line in general.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hiya guys! Are you all OK? A treat today. A full wear of Lalfeorosa. I have been so careful with these samples because I am sending them on, but today I threw caution to the wind!! Oh, this is so wonderful! It has such presence, such otherworldly beauty. Nuff said.

Today I'm trying Lalfeorosa. I have a somewhat different reaction than others; I don't care for it although I do find some good moments.
    Juice: golden-olive.
    It starts with a very vanilla - biscuit - toasty caramel note, which almost immediately disappears and then reappears and persists at the very end. Here is the deal-breaker. I don't like foody or gourmand scents and despite the other good qualities, I can't warm up to this scent.
    After the opening chord, the scent moves to an aromatic stage which is smooth, substantial, spicy and which has a hint of leather. Nice.
    Then, gorgeous rose notes appear, and the scent reaches its apex for me. The rose notes are lovely, and combine with the "incense" which may well be oud since oud combines well with rose and is a traditional accompaniment. Sadly, this phase is very brief, perhaps two minutes maximum.
    Then, a very assertive tonka/hay/coumarin note blusters in and utterly vanquishes the rose. The coumarin increases, picks up all the stray spice molecules, and works to create a rather tangy tobacco-leaf note with hints of toasted nuts.
    Finally, the scent lapses back to a semi-gourmand style, gets sweeter, and I wash it off. :/
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

And that's how it seems to me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Seems to be a quirky problem in posting this, it show up but only partially.
    odysseusm

Sound Scents

Up this week is the excellent Laltrove 1002. I am definitely starting to see some major house "trademarks" in many of the scents in the line. I guess these seem to mesh with my tastes quite well. Next week I plan on sampling one of the less expensive scents in the line to see if I like one I can afford. :-) In the meantime, a copy of my review for Laltrove 1002 follows:

Laltrove 1002 opens on skin with the trademark O'driu house mix of herbs including dill, although this time the dill and other herbs are not quite as prominent as in most of their other offerings. I get a now familiar subdued rose that hangs in the background (another house trademark), mixed with a slightly camphorous, almost mentholated lavender and chamomile combo that appears early on as well. The mentholated lavender and chamomile remains in the heart notes, joined by just the faintest hint of carnation and remnants of the early dill spice that now takes more of a supporting role. I detect just a bit of wormwood peeping through into the heart notes as well. That wormwood strengthens just a bit in the base notes, joined by anise that takes the more prominent position at this point joined by saffron spice, and much later mildly sweetened by patchouli. Projection is below average to average, while longevity is average to above average.

Laltrove 1002 impressed me from open to close, but the semi-sweet dry-down that does not appear until well after the heart notes begin to dissipate (similar to what I experienced earlier when wearing Linfedele 1004) is the best part of the scent and is quite impressive. Also impressive is the use of the mentholated lavender here... Menthol and lavender are not notes I usually enjoy, but the combination is put together here with tremendous skill and competence by Pregoni. I think the dill may be the "glue" in facilitating that combination to work, as even in the background it adds just enough hint of sharp spice to counter the menthol; brilliant! Laltrove 1002 is yet another scent from the house of O'driu that I can highly recommend without any hesitation. 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Rats, I have found the first O'driu scent I dislike... and regrettably it was the one I hoped to buy if I liked it. :-( In any case, here is a brief review for Ladamo...

OK, well I guess there is at least one scent from the wonderful house of O'driu that I dislike... and I have found it in Ladamo, regrettably.

Ladamo opens with the faintest hint of brief ginger root... and then it turn to full out celery seed. Unfortunately on my skin the celery takes over in full force to the extent that it overpowers everything else. It is all I can smell from there on out. It is quite powerful on me, showing unbelievable projection, strength and longevity. Here, that is not a good thing as a detest celery with a passion. I feel like I am a walking celery stalk wearing Ladamo.

Looking at the pyramid for the scent above, in theory the notes are ones I enjoy. That, coupled with my prior extreme delight with everything else I have tried from O'driu led to me having high expectations going in... Unfortunately, whether by design, skin interaction or my over-sensitivity to the celery seed note I just can't like Ladamo at all. It is really a shame, because unlike all the other scents from the house that I love, this one was just within my price range, and I really want to support houses like O'driu that are so individualistic and unique. Alas, my money will not be going to support *this* one. I guess I will either have to save up for the more expensive offerings, and/or hope Leva fares better as it is equally priced with Ladamo. 2 out of 5 stars for Ladamo. Oh well, not every release can be a winner...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Drseid, that's exactly what happened to me with Leva. It's strindent citrus/vanilla combo was just auwful on me.

Sound Scents

... and here is *my* take on Leva (mini-review follows):

Leva is definitely a departure from what one expects from the house of O'driu based on most of their other offerings. It opens on skin with just the faintest hint of grapefruit and olive, before quickly featuring a beautiful lemongrass note at the scent's heart, sweetened by a natural vanilla that is not of the powdery variety. The lemongrass and vanilla tandem remain into the base notes, only sweetening a tad more via a minor infusion of tonka bean and maybe even a hint of sandalwood. Apart from the very short-lived top notes, Leva is quite linear to my nose. Projection and longevity were both below average.

I was definitely surprised at the subtlety of Leva. All of the other O'driu scents I have smelled have not been subtle offerings, featuring spice and rose combinations that can be quite potent indeed. Here, Pregoni lets the Lemongrass and vanilla stay as almost a skin scent, all notes well-blended and quite subdued throughout. Leva is classy, very accessible and extremely pleasant smelling (I should mention I am a big lemongrass fan). I do feel that Leva may be a bit *too* subtle and linear in this case, as at the price point O'driu scents go for, the purchaser almost expects something extraordinary, and while a very good scent, I don't think I would put Leva in that category. Recommended to try for certain, but at its relatively high price point I can't recommend a purchase. 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Good Morning all...Today I'm wearing O'Driù Laurhum

My report will follow sooooooon

... and here is *my* take on Leva (mini-review follows):

Leva is definitely a departure from what one expects from the house of O'driu based on most of their other offerings. It opens on skin with just the faintest hint of grapefruit and olive, before quickly featuring a beautiful lemongrass note at the scent's heart, sweetened by a natural vanilla that is not of the powdery variety. The lemongrass and vanilla tandem remain into the base notes, only sweetening a tad more via a minor infusion of tonka bean and maybe even a hint of sandalwood. Apart from the very short-lived top notes, Leva is quite linear to my nose. Projection and longevity were both below average.

I was definitely surprised at the subtlety of Leva. All of the other O'driu scents I have smelled have not been subtle offerings, featuring spice and rose combinations that can be quite potent indeed. Here, Pregoni lets the Lemongrass and vanilla stay as almost a skin scent, all notes well-blended and quite subdued throughout. Leva is classy, very accessible and extremely pleasant smelling (I should mention I am a big lemongrass fan). I do feel that Leva may be a bit *too* subtle and linear in this case, as at the price point O'driu scents go for, the purchaser almost expects something extraordinary, and while a very good scent, I don't think I would put Leva in that category. Recommended to try for certain, but at its relatively high price point I can't recommend a purchase. 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.
    Oh this is really great! Can I tell you that your experience of Leva could not have been more different from mine. I found it to have distinct stages of development, a bright optimistic opening, then a few minutes in it became a difficult, dissonant thing, really challenging to me, then relief came in the drydown. You can see from the thread that others felt the same. What is it about these fragrances, that they should inspire such different reactions? I don't think that it is just do with personal preference, you know what I mean, I like one fragrance and you like another. It seems more than that. It seems to me that people experience these fragrances differently, react to them on an instinctive level. Or maybe it is just because they are SO unconventional?
    Last edited by Foustie; 16th May 2012 at 02:17 PM.

Cooooooool

Sound Scents

Definitely will look forward to it. I saw that one on the site and it looked quite appealing, notes-wise at least (well the bottle too, of course).
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Oh this is really great! Can I tell you that your experience of Leva could not have been more different from mine. I found it to have distinct stages of development, a bright optimistic opening, then a few minutes in it seemed to became a difficult, dissonant thing, really challenging to me, then relief came in the drydown. You can see from the thread that others felt the same. What is it about these fragrances, that they should inspire such different reactions? I don't think that it is just do with personal preference, you know what I mean, I like one fragrance and you like another. It seems more than that. It seems to me that people experience these fragrances differently, react to them on an instinctive level. Or maybe it is just because they are SO unconventional?
    Interesting observations, Foustie. That could very well be. With respect to Leva, it also could be I am anosmic to the challenging note (or notes) in it. To me it was primarily a lemongrass/vanilla combo scent all the way. Of course, if I would have disliked those notes, maybe my being anosmic to them is not such a bad thing. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

You know I think you may be right. We are all "tuning in" (and out) of various notes and facets. I think that Alfarom has said something similar too. For example, for me, the discordant phase in Leva, after the dominant lemongrass, seemed to be about jasmine although no one else has mentioned jasmine at all! I may have been senstive to that because I find jasmine a difficult mistress at the best of times.

It is nice to see that you acknowledge that rose is a significant player in some of these fragrances, specifically the Laltroves. I think so too. The Laltroves are the floral pair of the numbered series. And oh, I know that i keep banging on about this but I really do find a rose/rose geranium/ mint accord in Laltrove 1002 which is beautiful, and is very reminiscent of Geranium Pour Monsieur but denser and richer. Would someone care to agree, or disagree? I really don't mind which!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    You know I think you may be right. We are all "tuning in" (and out) of various notes and facets. I think that Alfarom has said something similar too. For example, for me, the discordant phase in Leva, after the dominant lemongrass, seemed to be about jasmine although no one else has mentioned jasmine at all! I may have been senstive to that because I find jasmine a difficult mistress at the best of times.
    You're absolutely right about the jasmine. It definitely plays a relevant role in emphasizing the overal strident vibe.

Definitely will look forward to it. I saw that one on the site and it looked quite appealing, notes-wise at least (well the bottle too, of course).
    After a month or so, I finally decided to break the sealing wax and open Laurhum. It took so long for several reasons:

1) I got Laurhum as an unexpected gift from Mr.Pregoni himself. He previously wrote me saying that he was just about to send a sample of his new fragrance but when the DHL guy rang at my door holding a huge box in his hands I realized what I was really getting: A full bottle of this beauty. I felt so honoured that I developed a sort of reverence towards this fragrance. To be 100% honest, I also have to admit that, at the same time, I was afraid not to like Laurhum and, knowing myself, I wouldn't have had any problem to shout it out loud. Ok, after a whole day spent wearing Laurhum I can say that I've been silly: this fragrance it's pretty AWESOME!

2) When I opened the parcel and saw, for the first time, the squared crystal clear box, the wax sealed bottle, the booklets and all the other paraphernalia included in the packaging I was stunned to say the least. The bottle came also with a personal dedication that was inserted inside the original box before sealing it. At this point, the feticist aspect of my personality showed up and said: "you should never open this stuff, keep it like that and ask Pregoni to send you a sample". Shameless!!!

Fortunately, being myself an avid fragrance consumer, the luxurious aspect of my personality took over and gave me the courage to break the seal wax and enjoy Laurhum in all its aspects...including liberally spraying it (which is quite satisfying). What an experience. I will need a couple more wearings before coming up with my final review but be sure that Laurhum is a top notch. It strikes as a perfectly balanced mash up bewteen O'Driu's most challenging herbal-spicy compositions and the much easier to approach ones such as Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeorosa (minus the florals). Possibly the most easily wearable so far but don't let me say more now, I want to do Laurhum justice with my final review...
    Last edited by alfarom; 18th May 2012 at 09:05 AM.

Sound Scents

I will need a couple more wearings before coming up with my final review but be sure that Laurhum is a top notch. It strikes as a perfect balanced mash up bewteen O'Driu's most challenging herbal-spicy compositions and the much easier to approach ones such as Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeorosa (minus the florals). Possibly the most easily wearable so far but don't let me say more now, I want to do Laurhum justice with my final review...
    Alfa, you are killing me. If Laurhum ends up anywhere near those two greats, I may just have to save up the scratch for a blind buy in a couple months. Just the thought is probably insanity on my part, but those two are some serious quality scents -- very good company to even have Laurhum mentioned in the same sentence with them... I look forward to your full review later-on.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Here is my review of Vis et Honor. Good stuff (but still I am searching for the highs I experienced with the Lalfeogrigio/Lafeorosa combo).

Vis et Honor opens with a challenging combination of olive, camomile, green chlorophyll and an almost sharp green semi-animallic undertone that I can't quite put my finger on. It is inspired and somewhat off-putting at the same time. During this phase I found myself both intrigued and somewhat shocked all in one... Then the scent moved to the heart notes which are much less shocking, and quite frankly very impressive... I get a much stronger dose of the olive I detected at the scent's open, coupled with some spices including saffron and maybe some cardamom, finally adding some green lichen from the base notes making their way into the heart notes as well. The base notes combine the lichen with wormwood and incense, while still a hint of the olive remains, adding just a bit of sharp green saltiness to the base. The scent is very green in nature generally from start to finish, but it is also quite unique and I am sure I am not doing all the notes justice as there appears to be quite a bit of them, and the combination is extremely innovative. Projection and longevity are average.

The opening notes were quite the shocker, not from a perspective as they were "bad," but rather there is an undertone to the opening that is almost green and animallic at the same time. This accord I don't think I have ever smelled before and it really has me guessing as to what exactly it is I am smelling... Once you get past the quizzical opening, in the heart notes I encountered a bit of the O'driu hallmark pattern, but with a much more astringent green spin to it. Just like many of the other O'driu scents, the base notes really finish off the scent with a strong showing. To sum things up, Pregoni has done even better work than Vis et Honor, but while I would say this scent is "middle of the pack" for O'driu, that is "top of the heap" for almost everyone else. I give Vis et Honor a solid recommendation and 4 out of 5 stars. Very Good!
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

To explain ODriu is like to explain Monalisa herself.
    Shes happy, no shes crying, no shes a woman, shes a man, shes beautiful, shes ugly, shes hers creator himself...
    Almost impossible, its a millions of feelings together.

Im giving up to try to describe the fragrances and will only wear them and enjoy the extrasensorial experience.

I was afraid not to like Laurhum
    Aw, come here. ((((hug)))). I empathise with every word. I really do. Now, spray with abandon and enjoy..enjoy...enjoy..yipee!!

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    To explain ODriu is like to explain Monalisa herself.
    Shes happy, no shes crying, no shes a woman, shes a man, shes beautiful, shes ugly, shes hers creator himself...
    Almost impossible, its a millions of feelings together.

Im giving up to try to describe the fragrances and will only wear them and enjoy the extrasensorial experience.
    Well said Danny! I think that anyone who doesn't connect on that level with these fragrances is really not getting them. You are so right, just wear, and enjoy the whole experience! ( PS: I still haven't decided which one to have).

Sound Scents

Up today are my impressions/mini-review for the great Laltrove 1001. "Great" being the operative word...

Laltrove 1001 opens with a spicy combination of black and red pepper, with olive and maybe just a tad of saffron and other culinary herbs to support to peppercorn/capsicum and olive trio of primary top notes. The top notes still hang around into the scent's heart, but that is where the magic Pregoni has created *really* begins... It builds very slowly, but a wormwood and cypriol combo mixes with what has to be a true cedar note to form one of the best woody, almost incense-like hearts I have encountered in a scent to date. I almost liken it to the scent you smell when you enter a high-end cedar sauna, complete with its own incense sticks. When you add in the spicy herbal olive from the top notes now in the background providing just the right support for the woody incense accord, it is clear this one is quite special. In the base of Laltrove 1001, the woody accord recedes and all but disappears, but the base does not sweeten like many other scents from the house, instead remaining spicy herbal, adding some more kitchen herbs to the mix and a subtle musk that supports the herbal dry-down. Projection is average and so is longevity.

What a stunningly great concoction here. From the top notes all the way down I knew this was a winner. The real difference though is it really is the heart notes where Laltrove 1001 shines brightest, setting itself apart from other greats in and outside the O'driu line. That woody combo in the scent's heart is just so natural smelling and meshes with the spice extremely well, producing a combination that is just too good to express with anything I could possibly write. Yes, it is *that* good. While the base notes do not impress as much as some other scents in the line (like the Lalfeorosa/Lalfeogrigio sister scents in particular), they are like the rest of the composition absolutely outstanding. Laltrove 1001 is among the best Pregoni and O'driu has to offer... and that is saying something. Sublime, and definitely worthy of its lofty price tag, IMO. Easily 4.5 stars out of 5 if not higher.

I am waiting for Alfa's final report on Laurhum even more now, as all the O'driu scents I want to purchase (Laltrove 1001 definitely being one of them) are also their most pricy (of course). Laurhum is relatively costly too, but not as much so as being completely out of reach with some saving. Anticipation... :-)
    Last edited by drseid; 18th May 2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

WOW !!! What absolutely gorgeous presentation ! ~ So totally perfectly "up my own street". A bottle to covet that's for sure.

But also most importantly, what an outstandingly wonderful and most generous of gifts. You must be elated ? (I certainly would be !) Now that I've seen the bottles in their full gorgeous glory, I'm craving the perfumes all the more. ~ Bravo Mr.Pregoni on their beautiful packaging ! Perfectly magical.

Going just by the name, and were it in English (?), I would have guessed a Laurel Leaf (Bay) and Rum based scent perhaps. (?) - O'driu's very own BayRum interpretation, yes ?? (Or perhaps even Labdanum rather ??) ... Either which way, if in fact the case, sounds very much like the sort of fragrance I'd probably fall hard for.
    ~ Is it by any chance in fact a laurel/rum frag Alfarom as I suspect ?? Or am I just totally misinterpreting a name totally incorrectly, that actually means something else entirely in Italian ??
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th May 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Going just by the name, and were it in English (?), I would have guessed a Laurel Leaf (Bay) and Rum based scent. (Or perhaps Labdanum rather ??) ... Which if in fact the case, sounds very much like the sort of fragrance I would fall hard for.
    ~ Is it by any chance a laurel/rum frag Alfarom ?? Or am I just totally misinterpreting an Italian name totally incorrectly, that actually means something else entirely ??
    The name is pretty brilliant and it's a combination of things: Laurhum ----> (L') Aurum (latin word for gold, hence the colour of the bottle). Laurhum is also Laurel + Rhum, yes. The fragrance doesn't list labdanum. Here's the official list of notes: Amyris Balsamifera, Citrus Reticolata, Vanilla Planifolia, Citrus Aurantinum, Nicotiana Tabacum, Matricaria Chamomilla, Cangara Odorata, Laurus Nobilis, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum.

Cheers thanx Alfa' ! ... Wow, I'm pretty amazed I got it half right *pats-himself-on-the-back* (LOL) ...
    That list of notes sounds absolutely amazing. - In fact out of all the ones (frags) you've described so far, this one more than any other, sounds just like the one for my tastes !

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

As for your ... : "I was afraid not to like Laurhum"

Sorry, but no, I bet there's not one single one of us who's prepared to feel sorry for you about now - after that fab haul of yours ! (LOL) ... (I mean, I'm sitting here only just about now settling down from the ever so slight shade of verdant blush I must have unfortunately turned at your happy news.) - Sorry I just couldn't help it. (*sheepish grin* LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th May 2012 at 11:41 AM.

alfarom you lucky guy! I'm also pretty jealous. that's a very pretty presentation.
    laurhum apparently is a haute bay rum. which makes sense, considering the style of odriu.

drseid I also really like 1001. I'd rate it higher than lalfeorosa but lower than lalfeogrigio.

Sound Scents

alfarom you lucky guy! I'm also pretty jealous. that's a very pretty presentation.
    laurhum apparently is a haute bay rum. which makes sense, considering the style of odriu.

drseid I also really like 1001. I'd rate it higher than lalfeorosa but lower than lalfeogrigio.
    +1 on your surprise gift Alfa, and congrats on the score. And yes, I join all the other folks here completely envious of you. :-)

As to Laltrove 1001 versus Lalfeorosa and Lalfeogrigio, Saripatates... It is so hard to choose because all three of those are so good it is almost like a "flip 'em" type of call... That said, if I *had* to choose, it would probably the reverse of your order... Lalfeorosa then a statistical tie between 1001 and Lalfeogrigio... If I could afford any of those three I would be a very happy man though. They are all extremely great releases and high praise worthy, IMO. In this case, I think my love of rose is what makes me switch the order up in Lalfeorosa's favor... more personal preference than one is better than the others really. I can easily see your order as well.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

alfarom you lucky ...
    From the incipit, I thought you was just about to say "You lucky....bastard" LOL

You guys make me want to wear Laltrove 1001....

Just giving Laltrove 1002 a test run.
    Herbal, some floral, a touch sweet, less wood, less smoke, neroli makes itself known, not much in the way of citrus. Herbal prominence aside it's very balanced and complex. There's also a certain "soapiness" which I think is largely due to the combination of some geranium/mint with lavender and anise. I can understand the references to GPM although the two fragrances aren't really alike.
    Overall it puts me in mind of vintage 80's or earlier masculines but employing only top quality ingredients.
    I'm finding the anise a little bit too dominant but I think that's mainly because I'm overly sensitive to the note. I doubt others would have this issue.
    Complex, nuanced and dynamic - the notes stand alone and are independent and identifiable, yet they blend to make accords that dance, switch and blend frequently.
    Personally I'm not sure if the overall smell is to my taste but there's no denying it's a wonderful, skillfully made fragrance.

Sound Scents

Here are my thoughts on Londa 1005... Tough opening but a strong finish...

Londa 1005 opens with an innovative, but somewhat off-putting combination of pungent cumin, salty fish and pine, mixed with an even larger dose of culinary herbs than is the house's usual signature. There very well may not be any fish in there, but the accord the open produces surely smells like fish that is a bit past its "sell by date" or of the frozen variety (most likely this accord is actually a mixture of the saltiness with the cumin and the pine). The opening is tough to get past on this one, to be honest (especially if you are not a fan of the smell of frozen fish). However, once you *do* get past the extremely loud fishy/spicy opening, the saltiness and the fishy smells both calm down nicely, as does the cumin that came off as too strong at the open, and now in the background it all mixes with the remaining herbs, tempered further by a lemongrass undertone also spiked with just the faintest hint of both ginger root and musk. This phase of the scent is quite nice indeed and should appeal to spice lovers everywhere. You really notice the fishy smell much less, and the spices, while toned down are at the fore. The base features the musk in a more prominent role, coupled with a somewhat smokey vetiver, a woody accord that I can't quite place, the remaining spice and I think I smell even a small amount of castoreum in there too. Londa 1005 really stays spicy through the end, with a somewhat animallic woody aspect that first peeped into the heart notes but finishes in the base a bit stronger, but never overtaking the spicy focus. Projection and longevity are both average.

Londa 1005 is most likely going to be a polarizing scent. The opening is so pungent and fishy that it may lose some folks right off the bat. I encourage anyone put off by the opening notes to stick with it though (spicy scent lovers in particular), as there really is a nice payoff in the heart and base notes where the more challenging aspects of the scent recede and end up providing crucial support to the other notes. On the whole, once I got past the opening I enjoyed Londa 1005. I certainly prefer a few of the other scents in the line more-so than this one, but it is a very solid composition that most would have to admit is quite unique. It certainly is not going to be for everyone, but count me as one of its supporters. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Only one sample left... Londa 1006. Mini-review to follow soon.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

...salty fish and pine...
    the fragrance comes with a quote from Coleridge's The Ancient Mariner...I guess it fits..

Briefly trying LALFEOGRIGIO and loving it only to discover it's one of the $888euro frags - heartbroken

Sound Scents

Briefly trying LALFEOGRIGIO and loving it only to discover it's one of the $888euro frags - heartbroken
    Yeah, I definitely know the feeling...

As to my own sampling, my last sample from the line finishes on a strong note. My mini-review of Londa 1006 and my final thoughts on my experience with the whole line follow:

Londa 1006 opens with a bit of the salty and spicy aspects that Londa 1005 exhibited. The difference here is the most difficult aspects of 1005's opening are considerably muted. Yes, you still have a bit of that fishy smell, but it is well in the background from the get-go, and the challenging cumin is *way* more subtle to the point of blending perfectly with the other spice and not exhibiting the pungency experienced with 1005. The culinary spices the house frequently features like basil, saffron and sage are certainly here and take center stage, but joining them shortly after the initial open is a sublime mandarin orange note that permeates the scent's heart remaining well into the base notes, creating an herbal spiced orange tea-like accord with the mandarin holding the spice just enough in check to make it much easier to wear. The base, while not very sweet at all, does move just a hair in that direction while the spices tone down but remain through the end. Longevity and projection both are above average.

Londa 1006 is a beautiful scent that many who found the cumin and salted fish smells too aggressive in 1005 are going to enjoy. I confess that while I personally enjoyed 1005, I think 1006 is a much more balanced composition. The mandarin orange absolutely makes the scent work, functioning similar to the amazing rose used in Pregoni's masterpiece Lalfeorosa by not really calling attention to itself while softening the spice rather nicely. This is a super-skilled effort by Pregoni, but also one that is definitely easier to wear than 1005. It also is one I can easily recommend to anyone without hesitation if you have the financial means. Getting a sniff of Londa 1006 should be mandatory for spicy scent lovers. A favorite of mine from O'driu, Londa 1006 earns an excellent 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

End review.

Final Thoughts:

I am somewhat sad that I have now burned through the last of my O'driu samples. It is rare that a house has affected me as much as O'driu. While just like every other fine house, not every release is going to appeal to all, myself included... That said, I think it is quite evident that Angelo Pregoni is a rapidly rising star in the scent world that I will endeavor to watch with great anticipation. In a world of exponentially escalating niche scent prices and trumped up house marketing, it is all too easy to dismiss the lofty price tags and off-beat notes listings of O'driu as just another sign of yet *another* pretentious niche house... I can now say with complete seriousness and certainty that they are anything but, and are truly the down-to-earth real deal. The O'driu scents are surely quite expensive in relative terms, but now that I have experienced them there is no going back. Obviously Pregoni and O'driu are putting the money gained from those prices to good use with sourcing top-notch hard-to-find natural materials, and even more importantly utilizing them with amazing skill and balance. Good stuff indeed!
    Last edited by drseid; 21st May 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hello everyone, here's my final review for Laurhum...

UNGROOMED ELEGANCE

Let's start from the name. A pretty brilliant combination of things: Laurhum ----> (L') Aurum (latin word for gold, hence the colour of the bottle). Laurhum is also Laurel + Rhum, which are two of the main elements of this composition. Here's the official list of notes: Amyris Balsamifera, Citrus Reticolata, Vanilla Planifolia, Citrus Aurantinum, Nicotiana Tabacum, Matricaria Chamomilla, Cangara Odorata, Laurus Nobilis, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum.

Now for the juice. The fragrance strikes as slightly simpler if compared to other deliveries from the house but don't expect anything minimalistic, transparent or light hearted. Laurhum is a bold, viscous/oily potion of extreme beauty and, just like most of the other deliveries by Mr.Pregoni, it needs some wearings to get warm to it. The opening is kinda brutal (as usual) with a blast of laurel juxtaposed to a green citrusy presence and god knows what else. A true to life cigar note breaks in right away and together with amyris add a salty, kinda urinous vibe. Intensely aromatic and sort of pungent in its literal reproduction of a cuban cigar factory and aged rum. Rough, extremely natural and...challenging.

Vanilla, the real star here, joins the party and provides, together with cinnamon, some sweetness. The fagrance takes form and morphes into an incredibly elegant and wearable masculine concoction of woody tobacco and top quality vanilla enriched by spices and laurel serving as perfect refinements. An overall boozy vibe preserves Laurhum from becoming overly sweet or affected while a moldy presence provides the typical O'Driù challenging twist.

Laurhum is a bespoke fragrance made for Campomarzio70 and released in very limted batches of 33 pieces each. For those who don't know, Campomarzio70 is possibly the best niche shop in Italy. In their three stores located in Rome they carry almost anything available on the niche market including all the main brands plus a huge selection of avant-garde offerings by extremely exclusive high-end houses and uber-niche firms. A mandatory stop for anyone visiting the city.

A (minor) word of caution: the juice is colored an intense dark yellow/green and stains paper and fabric almost as olive oil would.

Downline: This is Tobacco Vanille for people who actually like fragrances. Once again, O'Driù is not entertainment, it's a lesson.

Oh wow, this one (Laurhum) is without a doubt THE one that has peaked my interest most, from all your above reviews. It sounds positively wonderful. It being even more limited than the others I wonder what the possibility of getting samples of this one will be like (??) Doesn't sound quite as promising .... .

I probably wouldn't be able to afford one right now anywayz So maybe it's probably best I don't even tease meself with a sample anyway, even if I could get me shnozz on one. ~ (But it definitely sounds like "my "O'Driù" !)

Sound Scents

Hello everyone, here's my final review for Laurhum...

UNGROOMED ELEGANCE

Downline: This is Tobacco Vanille for people who actually like fragrances. Once again, O'Driù is not entertainment, it's a lesson.
    Sounds absolutely wonderful. I am a huge fan of cuban cigars, and like TV, but find it rather simplistic. This could be the answer. I also like rum and cinnamon,... and vanilla is fine as long as it is not powdery (and the spices will make it more appealing). The only aspect that worries me (if only a tad) is the saltiness. The salted fish notes in Londa 1005 were tough to get past. If the fish is missing here, than it should be no problem. :-)

In any case, thanks for the review Alfa... I am really looking forward to trying this one out soon.
    Last edited by drseid; 1st June 2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)