Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

In the meantime, I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on Londa 1005. I just wish it weren't so damn expensive. If anyone is interested in me doing a split of that one, drop me a line.

- - - Updated - - -

If it really is 100ml, maybe I could ask him directly if he would sell us 200ml in a less fancy bottle. Do you think he would be offended?

Blog Entries

I have finally decided on Linfidele 1003. But I took such a long time that now I don't know if there will be any left. I need to email Anna or Campomarzio. But before I do that can anyone tell me how the Linfidele Haiku compares to Linfidele 1003?

Just to remind ourselves; the 1003 was expansively green and cool. Whereas the 1004 is the same background with the addition of a wallop of cumin which is great, like an animal in the landscape. But it is not for me. I would like to know which of the two Linfidele's the Haiku is most like. Has anyone tried both Linfidele's and the Haiku? I won't buy blind but it may be worth trying to get a sample of the Haiku before I commit?
    Last edited by Foustie; 30th July 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Foustie, I get the impression that Campomarzio is still well-stocked, and I would guess this includes Linfidele 1001 as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I don't have a sample of Linfidele 1001. I just have 1003 and 1004.

Blog Entries

Thank You Brian. They are 1003 and 1004. Of course they are. My head is up my bahookie today!! I have edited. Thanks for pointing that out. And I am the very one who has always said that I had no problem with the names and numbers. Ack! Now maybe my question will make sense.

Sound Scents

Having worn JMT a few times now, here are my brief thoughts on one of O'driu's latest releases.

JMT by O’driu
    JMT (Jasmine Mean Time) opens with a large dose of cumin, capsicum and the familiar combination of the aggressive culinary herbs the house is known to use frequently in many of its compositions. The faintest undertone of a similar “fishy” accord early-on to those present in a couple other Pregoni compositions is here in JMT as well, but is extremely subtle and not off-putting in the slightest with Pregoni using it just as a background binder to the spice and not in any way as the “feature”. As the culinary mixture and capsicum recedes after lingering into the early heart notes, JMT shows its true character as an absolutely gorgeous jasmine note emerges coupling with saffron spice to create a sublime combination that is ever so slightly sweet remaining through the dry-down while just a faint trace of cumin remains to dirty up the scent ever so slightly. Projection and longevity are superb.

JMT has just the right quantity of spice and mildly sweet notes to maintain perfect balance throughout. It should be noted that the cumin used does not evoke the smell of body odor as a lot of cumin based fragrance compositions do, instead presenting the cumin as it smells in your kitchen. The jasmine and saffron combo in JMT is just heavenly smelling and easily is the best implementation of jasmine I have experienced to date in a fragrance. The bottom line is JMT is another stellar release from the folks of O’driu and is definitely a success in every way. Success or not, with only 8 bottles on offer at a relatively lofty price point of 1600 euros for a 50 ml bottle JMT will most likely only be accessible by a handful of people who have the financial means to acquire it… I won’t be among that group regrettably, but I am certainly envious of them. JMT earns a near-masterpiece rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Chromatics by Aramis

That sounds fantastic. I don't even dare dry JMT.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I have finally decided on Linfidele 1003. But I took such a long time that now I don't know if there will be any left. I need to email Anna or Campomarzio. But before I do that can anyone tell me how the Linfidele Haiku compares to Linfidele 1001?

Just to remind ourselves; the 1003 was expansively green and cool. Whereas the 1004 is the same background with the addition of a wallop of cumin which is great, like an animal in the landscape. But it is not for me. I would like to know which of the two Linfidele's the Haiku is most like. Has anyone tried both Linfidele's and the Haiku? I won't buy blind but it may be worth trying to get a sample of the Haiku before I commit?
    Wish I could help, Foustie, but unfortunately Linfedele 1003 is one of the few from the house I haven't smelled, as O'driu was out of the samples by the time mine were requested. They included 1004 but but not 1003. I *can* say that Linfedele Haiku is a stunner and is a "must sniff" for any O'driu fan, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    If it really is 100ml, maybe I could ask him directly if he would sell us 200ml in a less fancy bottle. Do you think he would be offended?
    offended to death.... ...and I'd be too, honestly LOL

-----------------

Foustie I'm doing a wrist by wrist test of Linfedele Haiku (right arm) and Linfedele 1003 (left arm). They open very differently. Haiku is dirtier, kinda raunchier but, seomwhat, with less Odriùlade. Linfedele 1003 is by all means a "former O'Driù". Probably one of the most exemplary in the whole line.

....they're now settling down. Dear Lord, Haiku is STUNNING! It has a classicist vein provided by the castoreum-vanilla combo which is quite something. Resiny elements support the whole composition while an incredibly aromatic accord which reminds me of geranium is juxtaposed to the vanilla and tonka. As in most of Pregoni's compositions (exception made for Leva, sigh), the vanilla is extremely elegant and doesn't by any means lean twords the gourmandic. Haiku is a wower. 1003 is an O'driù pillar..So far, I perceive them as extremely different fragrances...

Let me spend a few more hours with them and I'll report back later on the drydonws and longevity...

-------

As I type, Linfedele 1003 is claiming for my attention: it is just about to show all his f*#king complexity.

------

Haiku seems currently stcking to its dark brown leathery-balmy accord...Linfedele 1003 is in full effect, it is driving me crazy...I think I saw it winking at me a couple of times during its ballet....

------

in the end....Haiku's transition from the top to the drydown is faster. It has a vanillic/tonka accord that Linfedele 1003 copletely lacks and it's overall kind of green/brown. Linfedele 1003 is definitely thicker and much slower/more complex in its evolution. I still don't get as much similarities as I expected but the fragrances are definitely relatives. Overall, Haiku is more "classic".The middle phase where a geranium-like accord comes to play juxtaposing its green aromatic leafyness to the balmy-resiny vanilla/tonka base, is gorgeous. Dries down to a dark brown dry-resiny vanilla. Below average lasting (I'm not bothered by this, but those obsessed by tenacious frags, be advised).

1003 is imponent. Moves slowly. It's greener, dark but greener with loads of subtle refinements. Last longer and it's definitely least easily approachable. More incensey, more resinous, more herbal. Honestly? I love them both and can't consider one as the alternative of the other...
    Last edited by alfarom; 29th July 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Testing

LINFEDELE but sadly I just realized there are two.

This one smells like the smell an hour after an explosion or a gunshot.
    for swap/sale:

Wow, the salty opening of Londa 1005 literally made my mouth water!

Brian, I hope you will host some splits from this house! I do agree the pricing is a bit OTT for some of them though

Anna has responded to my inquiry. She's so lovely and helpful. Unfortunately, Lalfeogrigio is 4,100 euros for 1000ml or 880 for 100ml. I am going to cancel that split because that's too rich for my blood.

I am however going to move forward with Londa 1005. I'm happy to split some if anyone wants to join me.

Blog Entries

Thank You Alf. Very much. That was great of you to do that for me. I think that you told me all I need to know. It is the Linfidele 1003 for me. But I must try the Haiku too. Thank drseid, and you too Hedonist. "This one smells like the smell an hour after an explosion or a gunshot. " I love that description!!

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I am however going to move forward with Londa 1005.

Thank You Alf. Very much. That was great of you to do that for me. I think that you told me all I need to know. It is the Linfidele 1003 for me. But I must try the Haiku too. Thank drseid, and you too Hedonist. "This one smells like the smell an hour after an explosion or a gunshot. " I love that description!!
    Sorry Foustie but I really loved them both...Now, after 24 hours and some more time to think about them, I'd probably go for Lindefele 1003. It's more complex and, most of all, it is a real O'Driù. Not to say that Linfedele Haiku is not but, IMO, an O'Driù lover since day number one like you, should have in her collection a former fragrance from the original line...
    Last edited by alfarom; 30th July 2012 at 06:24 PM.

What's the final cost on Londa Brian? I'm interested in some of that one.

Blog Entries

I've got something coming.....from Campomarzio70.....

..not telling yet.

I have sampled the new fragrances from odriu and JMT has made a big impression. The only other western fragrance with as much ballsy a jasmine is Kurkdjian's crystal limited edition. So very attar like, but unlike most attars with the quality there is also an intrigue. I would so buy this if it wasn't infinite euros.

Blog Entries

I got it. Keep an eye out here sometime soon...

Power Where You Need It

I've got something coming.....from Campomarzio70.....

..not telling yet.
    Once you've got your parcel, you HAVE to share pictures ok????

Blog Entries

Okay! I have got it. You just have to wait.....

After a long hiatus I've decided exploring this lane thanks to the delightful Foustie.

I seem to have made Hedonist's mistake with LINFEDELE. So which one starts out with a ton of black pepper and then dries down to a myrrh/patchouli base? That was the one I tried today. It kind of reminds me of the base of an all-natural perfume I bought ages ago from Ayala Moriel, Razala.

I've noticed that all the Odriu's I've smelled so far smell like all-natural scents, is that correct?

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I've noticed that all the Odriu's I've smelled so far smell like all-natural scents, is that correct?
    Yep, even if they list castoreum in several compositions. I doubt they use real castoreum tincture...

Could you ask alfa? It doesn't really matter but it would be interesting to know.

Blog Entries

Tried XVERT. God help us. What the hell is this........ Onions, garlic, asafoetida, sulphur, halitosis, cumin......who would want to adorn themsleves with this? Drseid, did you like this?????

Sound Scents

Tried XVERT. God help us. What the hell is this........ Onions, garlic, asafoetida, sulphur, halitosis, cumin......who would want to adorn themsleves with this? Drseid, did you like this?????
    Not really. I have avoided writing the final review of it because after trying it initially it really did not click and I have not been eager for a more lengthy trial. The price is also astronomical (at least for the limited edition 1/2 bottle), so I guess I should be glad it did not click. In my case I don't remember being horrified or anything, but it definitely is not to my taste.
    Last edited by drseid; 14th August 2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Could you ask alfa? It doesn't really matter but it would be interesting to know.

I will, thanks fro reminding me...

@Foustie: LOOOL You made me more curious than ever...I'll give it a test tomorrow... As a reminder, which ones you didn't like so far?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Not really. I have avoided writing the final review of it because after trying it initially it really did not click and I have not been eager for a more lengthy trial. The price is also astronomical (at least for the limited edition 1/2 bottle), so I guess I should be glad it did not click. In my case I don't remember being horrified or anything, but it definitely is not to my taste.
    You know, I am trying XVERT again this morning for "take two" and I am beginning to actually like it, I confess. Make no mistake, I still consider this to be one of my least liked compositions from the house (not the quality, but the mood it evokes), but it is much less "extreme" than I remember when I first tried it. My mini-review follows...

XVERT opens with a note in it that really resembles wet dead leaves on the ground. The wet dead leaves accord is tempered by a dill that is quite familiar from many other O'driù creations and no one does it better, IMO. Cumin and cardamom spice couple with other culinary herbs like tarragon and oregano in the heart notes to mingle with the remnants of the wet dead leaves accord and dill witnessed in the top notes that hang around well into the heart. The earlier spice diminishes just a bit to reveal jasmine, sandalwood and an animallic presence in the base that I can't quite put my finger on... The scent in general is very dark, earthy and spicy, with slight animallic qualities. Projection is average and longevity is excellent.

XVERT took me a bit by surprise, as the first time I tried it I was not too enamored with the composition. It's rendition of dead wet leaves decomposing on the ground (whether by using the materials themselves or some inspired clone) is spot-on accurate, bringing back memories from my early childhood visiting my grandparents where they would always have wet Maple leaves piling up on their yard with the exact same scent. It is a bit off-putting at first, but I am now warming to it. This is not really the kind of accord I want to smell of, to be honest, but it does evoke pleasant memories of the past... The dill also plays a key role here, as it tempers the bite of the decomposition early-on and well into the heart notes. Still it is the scent of earthy decay that dominates the spicy composition from start to finish and that makes it a tough one to wear; not because it is so shocking or off-putting really, but rather it is more of an artistic vision than a scent one might want to wear regularly. Very strange but interesting stuff here from O'driù that earns a "very good" rating of 3.5 stars out of 5.
    Last edited by drseid; 20th August 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    As a reminder, which ones you didn't like so far?
    Leva.

I got the story though, understood it. Ladamo, got that too. Didn't like it personally but it is very very good. Same with the Londa's. Totally got what they were about.

But this one....... I bet that it floats someone's boat, but I never want to meet them. Only kidding!

- - - Updated - - -

Quick pop in, in the middle of my house move!! Couldn't help it because I am trying Laurhum today, lovely. Softer, the easiest fragrance in this collection so far but still with a huge personality. More later.

I have really beautiful samples of JMT and Xvert up for grabs guys. I don't care at all for Xvert, and JMT absolutely must go to someone who loves Jasmine. It is great, but Jasmine is my fragrance nemesis. I could maybe do a teeny but of Lalfeogrigio too.

If you would like them could you post here on the thread please, because then everyone can see that they are taken. I just don't have time to manage PM's just now, and anyway I hate having to send that message saying that someone got in first!!
    I can ship anywhere but you will need to be patient....
    Last edited by Foustie; 19th August 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Ooh yes please Foustie I would luv them samples ! ... (If u're ok with posting to London ??)

I've been really intrigued about this house ... tho' am not entirely certain yet, from what I've been reading here, if I'll actually get on with these or not. (And to be totally honest I've been leaning towards 'not' mostly). So far 'Laurhum' sounds like one of the few I'd probably get on with, methinks. But I'm willing to give any one a good ol' sniff & see ...
    Last edited by Sybarite; 19th August 2012 at 11:28 AM.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Ooh yes please Foustie I would luv them samples ! ... (If u're ok with posting to London ??)

I've been really intrigued about this house ... tho' am not entirely certain yet, from what I've been reading here, if I'll actually get on with these or not. (And to be totally honest I've been leaning towards 'not' mostly). So far 'Laurhum' sounds like one of the few I'd probably get on with, methinks. But I'm willing to give any one a good ol' sniff & see ...
    Fantastic, you are most welcome, but.....

A WARNING!

Just like when one sells their soul to the devil, there is a price to pay for O'Driu samples. Are you prepared to pay it? The price is that you must come back and join the discussion, no exeptions permitted. Isn't that right guys? AND, if you don't like them you must offer them on, because without skin..............they die. *gasp*.
    Last edited by Foustie; 19th August 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Power Where You Need It

Fantastic, you are most welcome, but.....

A WARNING!

Just like when one sells their soul to the devil, there is a price to pay for O'Driu samples. Are you prepared to pay it? The price is that you must come back and join the discussion, no exeptions permitted. Isn't that right guys? AND, if you don't like them you must offer them on, because without skin..............they die. *gasp*.
    Well said, Foustie