Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Many thanks, Foustie and alfarom for the heads-up. I've just been in correspondence with Anna and samples should be winging their way to me very soon. However, they're currently out of LAFRO and LINFEDELE 1003 samples...

Hi guys ! ... I too contacted the email address mentioned earlier in the thread. However, unfortunately just like Trebor I too have still had no joy, samples or contact back now many weeks later.

Is this Anna lady just mentioned supposed to be at said compramazio email address (?) ... Do you guys think I should maybe try a little cheeky "name-dropping" for better results ... or is Anna's email address other than : viavittoria@campomarzio70.it ??

Any help will be much appreciated ...

And thanx Alfarom for the heads-up on this most intriguing house. As so far (other than Profvmvm Roma), Italian fragrance houses haven't really done much for me so far (??) So I'm really hoping I'll be feeling the alchemagical powers of O'driu
    ~ Cheers !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 11th April 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Today I'm trying Linfedele 1004.
    On paper it is sweet, woody, spicy, with a toasted grain note. The juice is a deep golden colour.
    On my skin, I note the following. It is oriential in style since it has spice and patchouli. That being said, it is a lean oriental: substantial but not heavy or cloying, and not too sweet once the initial phase burns off. It is not green in any sense, and I see little relation or pairing with Linfedele 1003. The ingredients are well blended and pleasing.
    It is interesting that there is a spice positioned at each phase of the scent's development. The interplay between tumeric - cloves - cardamom suggests cumin at many points. Cumin always conveys a somewhat sharp, male-sweat note, and that is note which I don't immediately care for. Here, as that cuminesque note abates, other and more attractive notes emerge. The cumin never entirely goes away, but it is better when it is balanced than when it dominates, as it does in the early going. The tumeric gives a dusty/woody character which is quite true to form. At times, the woody note suggests cedar pencil-shavings.
    I really appreciate the incense here. If the cumin was scaled back about 25% this might be an ideal scent; as it is, it's pretty good. The incense is airy and smoky. At times there is a warm rubber note (which I also noticed in Lindfedele 1003).
    The dry-down is smooth, assertive, and to my mind completely masculine (though a woman with verve certainly would enjoy it). I'm happy to report that the vanilla is NOT a problem, in fact (thankfully) I can't even detect it!
    I like this a lot -- perhaps I'm not going to rush out and buy it (given the price) but it is pretty good stuff.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

PS -- I had already planned to review this. But Foustie's request cinched the deal! Great minds think alike. Cheers! ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Ody, your assessments are fantastic, to read, and to consider, and to learn. I am really enjoying them, and it seems to me that you are enjoying reviewing the line so far. Please keep up the good work!!

So, you don't think that there is much, if any, of a relationship between Linfidele 1003, and 1004? Hmm. They are certainly different from each other. The fact that you find this is interesting in itself because in fact there are a lot of comments about the whole range being too similar. After reading your review of 1004 this morning (on my phone, I couldn't get into Basenotes all day!!), I decided to wear it, and I do definately get that same green landscape of 1003 in the background, but with many extra facets in 1004, which to me, suggest an animal, (a pretty stinky one too to begin with) but yes, the animalic notes recede unexpectedly. I actually found it to be really nice today, lovely at times. On previous occasions I found it just too cumin heavy.

Looking forward to more..
    Last edited by Foustie; 13th April 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks, Foustie! I have an unofficial role as "dean of green" and I bring very specific expectations to any green scent. Also, my skin temperature and other factors make scents react very differently on me than others. Once I was on a sniff-a-thon with another BNer. She and I sprayed the same scent. It went to basenotes within 30 seconds on my skin, took about 20 minutes on hers. :/ Makes it necessary for me to be very attentive to those fleeting top notes.
    odysseusm

Today I'll discuss Ladamo.
    The juice is an olive-gold colour.
    On paper, it pops with fenugreek/curry, herbal-green, and minty-refreshing notes.
    On my skin, it reveals a deeper, dirtier, darker, earthier character. The reference to "earth and roots" is exactly right. The scent is complex, even in its early stages. It certainly seems masculine to me, given its dark, sweaty tones. Then... amazingly it opens up and brightens! I find a very cheery, minty sort of note (perhaps juniper and crisp gingerroot). It also gets quite woody. I really appreciate the bright note amid the dark earth, moss and woods -- this is a genius touch of design.
    As the scent progresses, it develops a very mossy-lichen note. At times, this strongly suggests celery leaves (but not always). At other times, the anise sort of note takes prominence. A bit of a shape-shifter, this.
    Of the scents I've tried to date, I like this one best. It is powerful and challenging, but I love green scents and this certainly has that aspect. As has been noted it is extremely powerful -- one or two little dots more than suffice.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Of the scents I've tried to date, I like this one best. It is powerful and challenging, but I love green scents and this certainly has that aspect. As has been noted it is extremely powerful -- one or two little dots more than suffice.
    Glad you liked it Ody. I'm a fenugreek/immortelle freek and as much as I liked LAFRO, I still find it a bit one-dimensional. That being said it is surely quite an unconventional, straight-forward and sort of unapolegetic masculine which is always something good to smell nowadays...

If memory serves me well (but I may be wrong) you're not among the biggest fans of vetiver but I strongly encourage you to test Londa 1005 which pairs this rooty element with a prominent coniferous note....
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th April 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Actually, I am a big vetiver fan, alfarom. Vetiver + conifer sounds excellent to me.
    My next review must be Leva (as other half of the Genesis pair) but after that Ladamo 1005 will get a visit!
    PS - looking at the notes, I think you mean Londa 1005 (?)
    odysseusm

Actually, I am a big vetiver fan, alfarom. Vetiver + conifer sounds excellent to me.
    My next review must be Leva (as other half of the Genesis pair) but after that Ladamo 1005 will get a visit!
    PS - looking at the notes, I think you mean Londa 1005 (?)
    Londa 1005, yes sorry Yes, of course I know you're a big fan of conifer but I don't know why I thought you wasn't much into vetivers...anyway, even stronger recommendation then...
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th April 2012 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Hi guys ! ... I too contacted the email address mentioned earlier in the thread. However, unfortunately just like Trebor I too have still had no joy, samples or contact back now many weeks later.

Is this Anna lady just mentioned supposed to be at said compramazio email address (?) ... Do you guys think I should maybe try a little cheeky "name-dropping" for better results ... or is Anna's email address other than : viavittoria@campomarzio70.it ??

Any help will be much appreciated ...

And thanx Alfarom for the heads-up on this most intriguing house. As so far (other than Profvmvm Roma), Italian fragrance houses haven't really done much for me so far (??) So I'm really hoping I'll be feeling the alchemagical powers of O'driu
    ~ Cheers !
    Same. No samples, nor even a response to my email :/

Today I'm wearing Leva.
    "The nightmare that reveals the pleasure" -- indeed.
    The juice is an olive-oil colour.
    The scent starts with a slight citrus note and the promise of a woody vanilla. Lemongrass quickly appears. More vanilla, with a touch of cocoa; and more wood. THEN a really odd and rather uncomfortable fruity-ozonic note appears. It is like a strange, Lovecraftian version of a hyped-up peach/bergamot note. Some have called it "screechy" and it is kinda wierd and certainly not to my taste. That gradually fades away, and I'm left with a soft, powdery, close-to-the-skin scent. It is quite pleasant. It has a ginger/metallic brightness which cozies up to a woody-vanilla note. I normally detest vanilla but it is OK here in its muted form. This last phase seems feminine to me, somewhat pretty and a bit sweet. But it is not too sweet, and it is pleasantly woody so it could work for anybody. I'm not sure it is worth the trip through the X dimension to get there, though. :/
    odysseusm

Today I'm wearing Londa 1005. This one disappoints me more than another other. Why? The over-abundance of cumin.
    For me, (or on my skin at least) cumin always comes off as a very tangy, male-sweat scent. Perhaps in a scent which is a spice melange the cumin could duke it out with other spices. But here, in a scent with so many potentially interesting green notes, the cumin completely dominates and pushes everything else aside.
    The juice is a dark green olive colour.
    The scent starts in a very salty way, and even a bit stinky. It quickly changes to something rather smokey with a strong mint character. The mint note grows and gets very cool and fresh, but never synthetic or like toothpaste. At this point I'm quite pleased, sensing herbs, mint and the potential for the development of green-grassy (vetiver) notes.
    BLAM! Cumin appears and that's it. Game over. This isn't a complex spice jar like Piper Nigrum. No, it's just cumin-centric all the way. At best and at times, the cumin retreats enough that I can imagine I'm smelling some vetiver or the revival of mint. At other times, the cumin is just all there is.
    I never got a coniferous or pine note. I did get some mint in the early going, but that's it.
    I don't really see the attraction in a cumin note. It smells exactly like my cumin spice jar -- not complex, not particularly interesting in and of itself. Clove at least gives a barbershop vibe, but cumin just suggests chili.
    Scale back the cumin and this might be something interesting. The cool from the mint could work well with slightly less aggressive warm spices.
    And really, all these wonderful green notes... wasted. :/
    odysseusm

I couldn't disagree more Ody (with all the due respect, obviously). Cumin is there, no doubt, but there's also a remarkable lemongrass/ginger component that soften the general herbal quality. The pine note remarks its presence during the transition between the top notes and the heart and, together with mint, generates a dark green vibe that made me vaguely think about Fille En Aiguilles minus the sweetness...the rest is just musk and vetiver to me...Surely among my favorites...

I'm glad it works so well for you, alfarom. Now, at 6+ hours after initial application, the cumin has finally burned off and I'm aware of some light herbal/mint notes. They are nice.
    odysseusm

I'm glad it works so well for you, alfarom.
    Well, sort of...

I am staring at my big pile of samples. They are staring back at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I am staring at my big pile of samples. They are staring back at me.
    Half way through my batch I stared at mine with complete dis-hope and unwillingness to try any more. It's a shame. I've left them for a while to come back later, when the O'Driu signature will hopefully be exciting again.

Still here. Lovin' it!

"Is this Anna lady just mentioned supposed to be at said compramazio email address (?) ... Do you guys think I should maybe try a little cheeky "name-dropping" for better results ... or is Anna's email address other than : viavittoria@campomarzio70.it ??"

Hi Guys, Campomarzio70.it is a famous retail shop in Rome who sells - among others - also O'driù (www.campomarzio70.it).
    Last edited by lisa judith; 16th April 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Glad that you are still around, Foustie!
    Today I'm trying Londa 1006. Of the ones I've tried so far, I like this one best. It is a marvelous dry herbal melange, very satisfying.
    Two points. 1. the picture on the card shows coral and sea shells, and the scent has "marine notes". I don't get any marine or aquatic notes at all. 2. there are citrus notes listed at each phase. I don't get any citrus notes, perhaps a slight lemongrass in the drydown.
    The juice is a light olive green. I suspect that this is the colour of most in this line. I couldn't detect any difference between the scent on paper or on my skin.
    The scent is quite dry. It is a melange of herbs, and in addition to the ones listed I detect rosemary, mint and tarragon. The herbs are powerful, at times bitter or astringent (which I like). They are quite green. There are some spicy notes from the styrax and pepper.
    The dryness and lack of any pronounced florals make me feel this is a rather masculine chypre in style.
    I like this scent very much.
    odysseusm

Londa 1005

Prelude

Last night I dreamed a Selkie came.........

The Orcadain people live in the Orkney Islands which are located between Scotland and Norway where the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean meet. They believe in a creature called a Selkie, Seal people with human eyes, who come out of the sea and shed their skin to make love to humans. Selkie women are beautiful and the men are handsome. To keep a Selkie you must hide or burn their skin so that they can never leave. One story tells of a female Selkie, who's human husband hides her skin in the bottom of a trunk, but she finds it years later and she leaves him, and she returns to the sea, leaving her husband and their three children heartbroken. Selkie men are great lovers. To get one you must shed seven tears into the sea.

Londa 1005 is a Selkie's fragrance.

Londa 1005;
    LONDA is a play on the Italian word for wave. The fragrance is accompanied by verses from Coleridge's, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". The Mariners ship is still, in the Doldrums.

The opening of Londa 1005 is again shocking, stinky, and in all honesty to me it smells fishy, blood and guts, pungent, a bit stagnant. I find this phase really unpleasant. There are other O'Driu fragrances in which the opening can not be said to be pleasant, Vis et Honor is a prime example, but they certainly make you sit up and take notice.

Saripatates has explained that Cardamom in large concentrations can smell fishy to some people. I don't see Cardamom listed but whatever has been used to create this impression, the effect must be intentional in this context.

The stinky opening recedes and again we have a shape shifting fragrance. Notes of lemon, lemongrass, bitter herbs, strike a slightly discordant phase of great interest. Then a cool pine and mint accord and the fragrance is transformed. There is something aromatic, reminiscent of Geranium, then vetiver.

The fragrance ends as the wind finds the sails of the Mariners ship.

Or as the Selkie slips back into the Ocean leaving just a memory....

Me again. I would ask you to forgive me for the romantic review but actually I make no excuses. I will leave the technical reviews to our friends who know what they are talking about! For me, the best I can do is to try to explain the experience of these fragrances as I find them, and maybe give a few ideas of how they smell to me. Really, to me they are so evocative of stories, or landscapes.

With Londa 1005 I am right in the middle of Alfa and Ody (I should be so lucky!!). I have tried this a few times and sometimes the cumin seems to be more dominant than others. I agree with Ody that the opening stinks. I love the cooler phase. Like Alfarom I really get lemongrass and ginger and the cool dark green phase. This fragrance grows on you and reveals itself to you over time. Initially I would have said that it was one of my least favourites, but now I am not so sure.

I wish that one of the other girls would come along. Hopefully someone will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    With Londa 1005 I am right in the middle of Alfa and Ody (I should be so lucky!!). .
    hehe, the Alpha and the Omega! I loved your review, Foustie. And I find it so interesting how scent will react differently on women and men, and among different skin types/chemistries/temperatures. This is why we need many opinions -- these is no single answer or perspective which is universal.
    I know that my skin picks up and magnifies spice, particularly cumin. It does the same for vanilla. Even teeny portions of either will grow huge on me. I don't mind cumin but I find it tiresome. I rarely like vanilla -- too cookie-oriented to be something I want to wear.
    I wish that I could find those other lovely scents in Londa 1005 which Foustie and Alfarom have found.
    odysseusm

Hello everyone, I just got a full bottle of the new Laurhum (to be released in these days). This a fragrance that Pregoni composed for the Campomarzio70 stores in Rome...here are some pictures, report will follow really soon.... I'm overjoyed!!!

Notes include: Amyris, Mandarine Verte, Vanille Extrait, Petitgrain, Tabac, Camomille, Yalng Ylang, Laurier Noble, Cannelier Feuilles.
    Last edited by alfarom; 23rd April 2012 at 08:04 AM.

How FABULOUS!!!!!! I am really so delighted for you! Can't wait to see your review.

Today I'm trying Laltrove 1001. I like it -- but it seems awfully similar to Londa 1006. I'd have to do a side-by-side to understand the differences which seem pretty subtle at this point.
    Once again, the juice is the typical olive green colour.
    On paper, the scent is a bit sweet, has citrus notes, and spicy-herbal notes. Certainly even there, the tangy anise pops.
    On skin, there's no citrus for me. The scent is dry, herbal, astringent, spicy and a bit woody. Perhaps it is slightly rounder in character than Londa 1006. Sometimes it has a slightly toasted note which I did not detect in the Londa. Also a bit of a barbershop and leathery vibe which is nice. The barbershop character combes from the pepper and cinnamon, far more satisfactory spices than cumin in my opinion. The scent settles close to the skin, and the dry-down has good rosemary notes. Even here, there may be a faint ghost of cumin... perhaps it is the house spice.
    Again, very nice but also very similar to Londa 1006. I can't see having both.
    odysseusm

Today I tried Vis et Honor.
    Quirky! Not bad, but very quirky.
    To me, it is a deliberate exercise in odd-ball fustiness: old attic, old books, old leather suitcase, old fur coats. A closed-in antique store... a bit claustrophobic.
    On paper: strong bay leaf/laurel note, and lotsa green in the background.
    On skin. Smokey, VERY VERY VERY minty. Oh boy, that cholophyll is super-minty. The scent is quite green. And also the fox fur note is very prominent, in a minty-gamy way. My grandmother used to keep a mink stole in a cedar chest and this certainly reminds me of that. Back to the green notes, which are complex and intriguing -- though somewhat in competition with the relentless minty/cool notes.
    Now the mint/green joins with a leathery note.
    At times, the scent is an old-school fougere; at times an old suitcase with leather trim, at times an old fur coat.
    The distant dry-down is a nice, mossy fougere. And at times I get a spicy note which seems more like cinnamon than cardamom to me.
    I'm neutral on it. That foxy note is odd and I'm not sure what it adds other than oddity. But the green notes are pretty good.
    odysseusm

I will retest them in the next days with a full wear. Until now my favorite is L'Eva.

I am still staring at the pile of samples. They're giving me the evil eye.

Today I'm trying Laltrove 1001... Again, very nice but also very similar to Londa 1006. I can't see having both.
    I believe you mean Laltrove 1002...

Laltrove 1001 is more of an earthy forest green scent, whereas Laltrove 1002 and Londa 1006 both start out smelling more like a herb garden.

I'm not going to say much at this point but the last few days have been some journey with this line. No perfume house has made me feel so... ravenous, with regards to the desire to sample, deconstruct and understand.

Three days ago, I would have doing cartwheels on the board but, now that the honeymoon period is over, I have to say that this house disappoints just as much as it intrigues and inspires. When I first tried these, I had the desire to purchase around 4-6 of these. But now, I'm having trouble springing for just one!

More details when I get the time but I'm definitely impressed...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I believe you mean Laltrove 1002...

Laltrove 1001 is more of an earthy forest green scent, whereas Laltrove 1002 and Londa 1006 both start out smelling more like a herb garden.

I'm not going to say much at this point but the last few days have been some journey with this line. No perfume house has made me feel so... ravenous, with regards to the desire to sample, deconstruct and understand.

Three days ago, I would have doing cartwheels on the board but, now that the honeymoon period is over, I have to say that this house disappoints just as much as it intrigues and inspires. When I first tried these, I had the desire to purchase around 4-6 of these. But now, I'm having trouble springing for just one!

More details when I get the time but I'm definitely impressed...
    Trebor, this is exactly what I find to be exciting about this brand. Personal preferencies aside, this is an incredibly interesting line, thought provoking, inspiring, anythng but dull and, in the end, even if extremely pricey, it doesn't show the greedy approach of most of the high-end brands around.

I had the chance to know Pregoni and what I can say is that he striked me as an incredibly genuine person.
    Last edited by alfarom; 23rd April 2012 at 08:06 AM.

Today I tried Vis et Honor.
    These reviews are wonderful, fascinating, fun! I absolutely LOVE Alfaroms review of Vis et Honor too. Isn't it great that a fragrance can create such reactions.

Again, to me, Vis et Honor is an alchemical story. Vis et Honor, or a version of such, was the motto of the Roman Legions. I totally agree with Alfarom about the opening. The opening is so shocking, so visceral that it hits you in the hindbrain and releases some adrenalin!! It is suggestive of fear. And Ody, the Laurel, so revered by the Romans that it was used in wreaths and crowns of honour. Of course it is in this fragrance. The opening of Vis et Honor makes me recoil but in fact to me the development and the drydown are much calmer, "steadier", simpler. On skin and much more so on paper it is eventually about Roman Chamomile, (MonkeyBars says Clary Sage). I think that it is extraordinary.

If I had to choose one fragrance from this range, purely from a collectors point of view it would be this one, no contest.

For one to wear and enjoy, not this one!

Okay, it’s too soon for me to go into detail about the compositions but I feel I’ve spent enough time with them to provide a summary of some sort.

First of all, these fragrances are amazingly complex and really demand your attention – more so than the releases by most niche houses I’ve encountered. Each composition requires more than a day of sampling and musing over and, even then, there are still facets yet to be discovered. Intensely engaging with the potential to induce sheer madness, I’m utterly amazed at the labyrinthine and shape-shifting demeanour of O'Driù’s offerings.

Upon initial sampling, I’ve never experienced any line of fragrances leaving me with an overwhelming insatiable desire to further explore. Angelo Orazio Pregoni isn’t only an alchemist but also a seducer of the olfactory senses, and seems to have pinpointed in the human brain exactly where to hit you with his creations. Whether or not the memories and imagery, generated by each creation, matches the perfumer’s own is immaterial as provocation itself appears to be the ultimate goal.

So, will I be buying any? If you asked me a couple of days ago, my reply would have been something along the lines of “Hell, yes! I just need to pop out and purchase a black balaclava…” However, over time, I have come to realise that most of them are, as alfarom has already pointed out, works of art. And like most works of art, we can either enjoy them for what they represent (but wouldn’t even consider owning them) or are simply unable to afford them so admire them from afar. The fragrances from this house reflect this concept perfectly, and I truly believe that what O'Driù is doing is the true future of perfumery – releasing a limited edition fragrance in small batches, possibly evading IFRA regulations, while keeping the flame of creativity alive.

So, returning to the question about acquiring any O'Driù fragrances, now that the dust has settled and that period of euphoric madness has subsided, the answer is ‘no’. Yes, I’m certainly impressed with them and am excited about any future releases but, like works of art, it’s better to experience their olfactory complexities and then walk away with only lingering recollections. Now that’s not to say they’re completely unwearable (I feel most of them are), nor vile or grotesque (far from it, albeit one in particular), but they’re not as ‘practical’ as I would have wanted them to be, for the reasons set out below:

1) Lasting power: I don’t know about the rest of you but I don’t find most of them particularly long lasting – some completely disappear off my skin within 3-4 hours. Okay, so they’re natural but, given the prices, I would have preferred more tenacity. While I strongly feel that, as artistic statements, they can be priced at whatever level the perfumer desires, as a fragrance consumer, I would have appreciated more endurance (especially at the prices set). While there’s substance in the compositions themselves, the same can’t be said for most of their bases.

However, in all fairness, I feel that each collection performs differently – the Genesi Serie (Ladamo and Leva) are the most tenacious out of all the ones I’ve tried but it’s quite ironic that they’re also the cheapest releases available. Both linger on my skin for more than 12 hours with ample sillage. As for the ones with numbers after their name, they are among the worst in the longevity department. As for the rest (e.g. Vis et honor, Laurhum, etc.), their longevity wildly varies.

2) Spray attachments: These only come with bulb atomisers. Sorry, but after spending that much money on these olfactory works of art, the last thing you need is a bulb atomiser. That’s a real deal-breaker for me. Yes, I could decant the contents into a smaller atomiser but I would have preferred a choice (in the way that some of the Guerlain exclusives offer).

Anyway, enough meandering – time for some quick comments about each of the nine I’ve tried so far (consider this an attempt to break things down to manageable bites). Btw, Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeorosa have yet to sampled as I originally deemed them as too expensive, only to realise that they’re available in 100ml, as opposed to 50ml like the others:

Ladamo – I completely agree with alafrom about this being a superior version of Fareb (even though it contains no immortelle). thebeck, once you smell Ladamo, you’ll throw Fareb in the trash! I’m really tempted to purchase a bottle of this but am not sure how comfortable I’d feel about smelling like a curry house with a celery fetish…

Leva – I get the cough syrup vibe at the beginning but I don’t find it that off-putting. It starts out like an intense and high-end version of Chypre Rouge before blossoming into a darker interpretation of loukhoum (or a herbaceous loukhoum with lashings of burnt sugar). It’s really growing on me but I already own a loukhoum scent and am not confident about trading it in for this.

Laltrove 1001 – I absolutely love this dark and earthy forest green fragrance. I smell a lot of galbanum but this could simply be the wormwood and cypriol weaving their magic. Longevity is okay but difficult to detect after a couple of hours (it lasted much longer on one of the feathers that came with the sample). Unlike many of the others, it stays true to the opening, even during the drydown. It would have been full bottle-worthy if it was more tenacious. Such a pity…

Laltrove 1002 – a close relative to Londa 1006. They both start out beautifully as grassy herbaceous offerings before transforming into something very different later on. Due to the similarities with Londa 1006, I was somewhat distracted and didn’t make any mental notes about either. However, I do recall preferring Londa 1006 more.

Linfedele 1003 – I didn’t get a sample but, if anyone would like to forward me one, please PM me.

Linfedele 1004 – this was initially a personal favourite but I’ve made a sudden u-turn on it. Yes, it definitely smells sexy but it also strongly reminds me of Opus IV. As I already own this Amouage offering, owning Linfedele 1004 seems pretty redundant. It also offers the best longevity out of the six numbered creations, remaining quite close to the skin.

Londa 1005 – No, no, no! Awful! Yes, the opening is vile and it takes a very long time for the composition to redeem itself. All the while, glimmers of mint, lemongrass and lavender makes things a fraction more bearable. It’s the only one I dislike but can still recognise its later virtues. Unfortunately, I didn’t follow its evolution as much as the others. But the drydown is dank and mouldy, and probably second best in the longevity department after Linfedele 1004.

Londa 1006 – like Laltrove 1002 but I think I get a mandarin note during the drydown.

Lafro – I didn’t get a sample but, if anyone would like to forward me one, please PM me.

Vis et Honor – another personal favourite and one of the most compelling. The juxtaposition of the bitter almond, clary sage and galbanum is amazing. At first, it left me confounded but then grew to appreciate it even more. Longevity is a little better than most but still insubstantial (although I have noticed that it performs differently every time I apply it – sometimes lasting for ages and at other times not).

Laurhum – I would say it’s the most conventional and yet softest out of the line. After the impressive top notes, it’s very reminiscent of Santa Maria Novella’s Toscano but far lighter and ethereal. Both sillage and longevity are frustrating to say the least but, when you do manage to get whiffs of it, it’s rather divine. Another potential purchase that is now a no-no.

As others have mentioned, many of these remind me of Xerjoff releases where they tend to be top-heavy but with insubstantial bases. However, the main difference is that the O'Driù bases are just as fascinating to smell as the top notes, with most Xerjoff bases being both bland and synthetic.

Anyway, I need to revisit them in a couple of days but I think everyone should sample them for the experience, if nothing else. Even taking the ones I dislike into account, there are hardly any duds.

I think I’ll wear Ladamo tomorrow as my SOTD…

Thanks for the very detailed notes, trebor.
    Today I'm wearing Laltrove 1002. Looking at my notes for Laltrove 1001, I get the impression that these are rather similar fragrances.
    The juice is lighter than most in this line, here a golden-olive colour.
    On paper, it has a floral, sweet-spice chord which quickly goes to a dusky green note like clary sage or celery leaves.
    On my skin, it is aromatic, much more woody, and not sweet at all. In fact, it is very dry. I find it quite satisfying. The herbal notes are attractive, clearly mint, anise and artemsia. There are hints of jasmine and rose in the early going. The cedar wood is very pleasant (not at all like pencil shavings) and there is a hint of leather mixed in with the well-blended spices. Once in a while there is an interesting "dirty" note, milder than what I've experienced in Tom Ford Italian Cypress, closer to Czech and Speaker's Cuba. It reminds me of an old ashtray.
    This is an intriguing scent, and for me the easiest to wear of the line (so far). I like it.
    odysseusm

Trebor, as usual, you completely cought the essence of the line IMO

Sound Scents

I am starting to tackle the 11 Odriu samples Anna and the very generous folks at The Pleasure Factory sent me gratis (with excellent presentation, I must say).

The first up was Linfedele 1004. Copying my just newly posted review on this site after a few wearings now...

Linfedele opens on skin with a dark spicy blast of dill, tumeric and what appears to be cumin, showing as a mild BO undertone that actually works here (even though it is not listed in the notes) with maybe just the faintest hint of citrus in the far background. The dill definitely dominates the other notes and continues to hang around into the heart notes, where it is joined by clove and even a subtle coffee undertone that at first I did not notice, but after further wearing it became more apparent. The real base becomes sweeter and does not develop until much later... so late that at first I thought the scent was gone, and then when waking up the next morning the sweet base was definitely evident. It consists primarily of a semi-sweet vanilla (which is quite natural and not of the powdery variety), a mild incense supporting note and I believe I detect even a hint of sweet sandalwood as well (even though it also is not listed in the notes section). Projection is below average, but longevity, while somewhat mysterious (as the spicy heart notes seems to disappear after about 4 hours, only to have the sweet base notes re-appear much later) is quite good.

Linfidele is a very unique and interesting scent. I can't think of a single scent I have smelled like it to date. That said, while it takes a couple wearings to get used to, it smells quite intriguing, and I mean this in a good way. I don't think I can afford buying a full bottle, but I have to applaud the folks at Odriu for trying something unique, but still doing a great job in putting some difficult notes (like the dill) together in a way that still works and is wearable. Linfedele is not going to appeal to everybody, but I don't think that is what Odriu was going for. It is designed for the person who demands quality and individuality in materials and scent composition, while still expecting something wearable. Definitely a sniff is recommended, especially to demanding spicy scent lovers. 4 stars out of 5.

I guess the bottom line is I liked it. :-)
    Last edited by drseid; 24th April 2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Alfarom, if longevity and the spray attachments weren’t issues, I probably would have been very interested in Laltrove 1001, Londa 1006 and Vis et Honor. I’m still undecided on the personal suitability of both Ladamo and Leva, though.

What I love about this house is their generous use of green and herbaceous notes, and how they’re integrated with other accords in unusual and innovative ways.

I have mixed feelings about this new, cheaper and more accessible line but we’ll see what they come up with (and if anyone from O'Driù is reading this, a green and/or herbaceous offering that’s as tenacious as Ladamo would be most welcomed!)

Btw, there should also be two new additions to the Genesi Serie (currently comprising of Ladamo and Leva) very soon…
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th April 2012 at 09:17 AM.

Alfarom, if longevity and the spray attachments weren’t issues, I probably would have been very interested in Laltrove 1001, Londa 1006 and Vis et Honor. I’m still undecided on the personal suitability of both Ladamo and Leva, though.
    Have you dabbed them or sprayed? I'm actually wondering why you had longevity issues. Vis Et Honor was pretty long lasting on me. I've given a full wear to neither Londa 1006 nor to Laltrove 1001 so I can't comment on those...

What I love about this house is their generous use of green and herbaceous notes, and how they’re integrated with other accords in unusual and innovative ways.
    Absolutely. As I said in one of my previous posts, personal preferencies aside, O'Driù is one of the best things happened to contemporary perfumery...On can wether like their fragrances or not, but the overall quality and innovative power it's undeniable.

I have mixed feelings about this new, cheaper and more accessible line but we’ll see what they come up with (and if anyone from O'Driù is reading this, a green and/or herbaceous offering that’s as tenacious as Ladamo would be most welcomed!)
    If they're any close the the four fragrances that Pregoni composed for the art performance "Perfumhance" (Laccordo, Labrazo, Lonciale and Lideale), they're going to be OUTSTANDING. These four are more minimalistic than the others and result somehow more wearable. At the same time all the complexity and innovative accords that made the other fragrances so compelling, are intact and preserved.

Btw, there should also be two new additions to the Genesi Serie (currently comprising of Ladamo and Leva) very soon…
    I guess you're referring to Leden and Linferno (heaven and hell).

Each composition requires more than a day of sampling and musing over and, even then, there are still facets yet to be discovered. Intensely engaging with the potential to induce sheer madness, I’m utterly amazed at the labyrinthine and shape-shifting demeanour of O'Driù’s offerings.

Upon initial sampling, I’ve never experienced any line of fragrances leaving me with an overwhelming insatiable desire to further explore. Angelo Orazio Pregoni isn’t only an alchemist but also a seducer of the olfactory senses, and seems to have pinpointed in the human brain exactly where to hit you with his creations. Whether or not the memories and imagery, generated by each creation, matches the perfumer’s own is immaterial as provocation itself appears to be the ultimate goal.
    Trebor, your synopsis is fantastic! There are so many parts of your post I want to talk to you about but I have chosen the section above. I absolutely agree! These fragrances smack you in the hypothalamus, and the imagination, as well as the nose! I am also spending a lot of time with them, really egaging with them. I am absolutely loving the experience.

It is a pity that you didn't get Linfidele 1004. Hopefully someone can send you their sample. I would have sent you mine but they are already shared/pledged. Sorry.

I said early on that I wouldn't say whether I liked them or not, or whether I preferred one over another. I felt that was of no interest at that time. But we seem to be moving on. So, some thoughts;

My favourite is Linfidele 1004. To me it is an expansive green forresty, herby, cool, oxygen-y thing, although others find something different, and that is OK. I would really have liked to hear how you found it.

I really don't like Leva at all, but I can admire it.

Vis et Honor is incredible conceptually.

Each of the pairs has one with a "clean" pallette and one which is dirtier, sweatier, more animalic. O'Driu say that the odd numbers are masculines and the even number are feminine. I don't see that at all. Personally, I prefer the ones with the clean pallette, the exeption being Linfidele 1003, which I like, it is lovely, warmer than 1004, sexy.

A question. Does anyone else get the mint/geranium accord reminiscent of Geranium Pour Monsieur in the Laltroves?

See you all soon.
    Last edited by Foustie; 27th April 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Sound Scents

Today, I had the privilege of sampling Lalfeorosa. My one word descriptor of the scent is "masterpiece." That said, here is a copy of the review I just wrote of it on the BN review page for the scent...

Lalfeorosa does not list dill spice as a note at all, but when I first put it on skin that is immediately what I smelled. The dill is joined shortly by other spices like fiery red pepper and maybe even a bit of saffron. The dill recedes, but the red pepper remains, coupling with a beautiful supporting rose note with hints of lavender. I confess even though tonka bean is listed in the heart notes, I did not experience it until later on in the base, combining with patchouli and the remnants of the saffron and red pepper that remain. This base is somewhat sweet due to the tonka bean and patchouli combo, but the spice keeps it well in-check. Longevity and projection both are excellent.

I am a sucker for both spicy and rose scents in general, so I have a predisposition to enjoy a combo of them both in a scent such as Lalfeorosa, but I was entirely captivated with it from the get-go and it has exceeded even my high expectations. It is innovative and unique, while accessible from a wearabilty perspective, and definitely expertly crafted with top-notch materials by a majorly talented nose in Angelo Pregoni. In short, it is a masterpiece. With only enough juice for 8 bottles created in Italy at a cost of 888 euros each, I regrettably will have to live vicariously through the lucky few that have the financial and logistical means to acquire it. That said, I will joyfully wear the sample I have of Lalfeorosa with great care, so as to be able to experience this amazing composition as long as possible. 5 of 5 stars.

So far, Odriu is batting 2 for 2 with me... and this one was incredible.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Wow Drseid, that was quite an enthusiastic review! Exactly what happened to me with LALFEOGRIGIO! Now, I'll need to go through my sample of LALFEOROSA!

Ah! This is our first review of Lalfeorosa as far as I can remember! Fantastic!

...and what a promising review

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ...and what a promising review
    Yes, now if only Odriu could use Lalfeorosa as the base for their less expensive line... hint, hint. ;-) It actually is killing me that I can't buy this one in truth... but alas, money is a factor regrettably...
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Testing Laltrove 1001 today...yay!

Elitism and snobbery seem to be two of the most common aspects of high-end perfumery firms but, solid brands who deliver solid fragrances just like O'Driù is doing, don't need to endorse such attitudes. Ok, Pregoni is surely responsible of a bunch of the most exclusive fragrances around, but this doesn't mean that exclusivity have to be necessarely related to snobbery or elitism. In this context, O'Driù perfectly reflects its "maitre parfumeur" vision which is a journey into art, literature and culture, not just fashion.

Laltrove 1001:

Tyger! Tyger! Burning bright
    In the forests of the night:
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

from "The Tyger", William Blake, 1794

A tiger in a dark forest. This is the most appropriate and fitting image to describe Laltrove 1001. A brutal, sort of arresting opening accord of astringent citruses immediately joined by the usual aromatic herbs galore and a strong, dark green presence. Breathtaking. This initial phase is surrounded by an overall anisic/absynth vibe that while mantaining the general dry carachter of this composition, provides a slight dose of "light" to an otherwsie incredibly dark fragrance. Believe me, there's nothing like it around.

Compared to other deliveries from the brand, Laltrove 1001 results pretty linear which, considering the amazing opening, is good news. The only substantial change during its evolution is an animalic, sort of leathery-musky element that shows its presence during the drydown providing some tension. It's there to remind you that you're not alone in the forest. There's a tiger crouched behind the bushes, lurking in the dark, patiently waiting for its prey.
    Last edited by alfarom; 30th April 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Yes, now if only Odriu could use Lalfeorosa as the base for their less expensive line... hint, hint. ;-) It actually is killing me that I can't buy this one in truth... but alas, money is a factor regrettably...
    Just testing Lalfeorosa: loving it. I'll give it a little more time before coming with my report...

In the mantime, I really urge you to test Lalfeogrigio!

Smile Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Testing Laltrove 1001 today...yay!
    Wow!! This one grabbed you! And your review grabbed me. An animal in a landscape. Grrrrrr! I love it. Your review of Laltrove 1001, and Ody's both follow exactly the same trajectory, this....citrus/dark or bitter herbs/anise/leather/animalic. I am just getting to know the Laltroves. They are both great, and amongst the most approachable/wearable I think, along with the Linfideles.

Does NOBODY smell an accord reminiscent of Geranium Pour Monsieur in Laltrove 1002?

Not tried Laltrove 1002 yet...

Sound Scents

I really urge you to test Lalfeogrigio!
    I have Lalfeogrigio on right now. Too early for a formal review yet, but many of the things I loved with Lalfeorosa, I am loving again here. I haven't gotten to the base notes yet, but the heart notes are somewhat similar between the two. Another great one so far...
    Last edited by drseid; 4th May 2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    OK, you convinced me. I'll give it a go this weekend. :-)
    More challenging during the opening but same amazing drydown.

Today I'm wearing Lalfeogrigio.
    This is a nice, old-school stye of scent. It is centered on a creamy sandalwood note, with a charmingly retro tonka-hay note which reminds me of vintage fougeres.
    The scent starts somewhat spicy, and at first the tonka is so vanilla-heavy that I wince. This quickly burns off, to reveal a dark and rich scent. It is somewhat sweet in the early going but is not problematic. Unlike other O'Driu scents, this is not a green machine, no herbal stew happening here. Rather, it is a burnished gold-brown, sort of like mahogany in my mind. The sandalwood, coffee and tobacco work together quite well.
    Suddenly and amazingly, there is a bright geranium rose note. Quite a surprise, and am amazing contrast to the darker tones.
    The sandalwood gets very creamy. I'd say this is a must for sandalwood fans.
    Great wood and fougere charm in the dry-down.
    odysseusm

yes, lalfeogrigio is quite different than others. within the ones I've tested lalfeogrigio, lalfeorosa, eva and vis et honor are more immediately distinct than others.

I wish this line was more affordable though :/
    On the other hand, these aren't everyday material.

Thanks Ody for your review...I never thought about the fougere-y carachtaer of Lalfeogrigio. Will keep it in mind when wearing the fragrance next time. Interesting.

After Drseid's review of Lalfeorosa I felt it was about time to give it a full wear...what an experience. Thanks Drseid.

Another outstanding delivery from O'Driù.

If you're getting sick of beautiful and catchy top notes evolving into synthetic and predictable drydowns, O'Driù is well worth checking out. In this context, among the newest brands, the italian firm has one of the most solid ranges available on the market. Ok, their fragrances are surely not the most easily approachable around and (may) need some wearings to be fully understood and appreciated but, once you've become familiar with the house challenging herbal signature, you'll be redy to discover some truly amazing compositions.

Lalfeorosa could make a perfect place to start exploring this wonderful range being, IMO, one of Pregoni's easiest to like deliveries. The usual culinary, sort of apothekary opening is toned down to quickly reveal a mindblowing drydown of spicy floral patterns (mainly rose and jasmine) and sweetish/balsamic elements such as tonka, vanilla and patchouli. Smooth yet incredibly rich, warm and extremely well balanced. A wower.

For several reasons, Lalfeorosa made me think about the most classic Guerlains (ok, I said it). Don't get me wrong, the fragrance doesn't share many objective similarities with the french firm but, at the same time, it shows the same solidity and overall top quality of ingredients. It's classic yet incredibly innovative and, most of all, when they do it right, there's no match for anyone else...
    Last edited by alfarom; 2nd May 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Lafeorosa has something of its own. The others are variously interesting, challenging, fascinating, incredible, but Lalfeorosa is beautiful. Stunningly, intoxicatingly beautiful.

But it is impossibly expensive the way that it is sold at the moment....

For several reasons, Lalfeorosa made me think about the most classic Guerlains (ok, I said it). Don't get me wrong, the fragrance doesn't share many objective similarities with the french firm but, at the same time, it shows the same solidity and overall top quality of ingredients. It's classic yet incredibly innovative and, most of all, when they do it right, there's no match for anyone else...
    Agree.

So far this is the one that grabbed me. I'm just making notes as I work thru them all and then I'll do a second run but initial impression for Lalfeorosa went along the lines of 'bewitching evening oriental'. I sense opoponax underneath but that may just be a ghost note from the balsamic / tonka mix. Two non-perfumista colleagues here mentioned 'sophisticated Indian Princess' and 'saffron, like Indian dessert' when they tried a dab. This one is quite sexy.

Ah, I couldn't wait any longer and just had to order some samples.

Is there any stand outs I should specifically ask for?
    Baring in mind I like full, heavy, complex, challenging, unusual fragrances. Generally pleasant fragrances and heavy doses of vetiver need not apply.

duplicate

well laph, just get all of them. odriu doesn't seem to be making simple pleasantries. if you are going to skip on one, maybe l'eva, I'd say.