Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: O'Drił brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    BTW, which Londa have you tried? 1005 or 1006? I only tested the 1005 at the moment and I get quite a considerable amount of vetiver out of it...

Confusing naming patterns for sure. I'd prefer a colon'd name or something. Even that is a bit lame ... I think the idea of making variations like that is a bit silly. better to simply release only the best one.

Power Where You Need It

What else do you find to be lame?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I think he meant even naming them "cologne d'blabla" would be lame.

I'm wearing something that starts with L and ends with 1006 (I tried to keep it in mind!). It is also a curry.
    This is good stuff for a guy like me but seeing even the very tame piper nigrum and spezie can be regarded as yucky by many, I doubt they will find many people liking these. It makes sense then, that they make very limited batches.

I have half a mind to combine all the samples, dilute them to 30% and call it lodriu 1009, but I'll wait until at least I sample all of them.

Dependent

What else do you find to be lame?
    As far as O'Driu is concerned, nothing. I'm really, really impressed with the attention to detail of the samples. And even the weird confusing naming scheme could actually be a smart decision marketing wise. Sometimes a bit of abstruseness can work in a super-niche brand's favor. As a fragrance aficionado, I just don't like getting confused about which fragrance is which!

Meanwhile, I think the names, such as they are, are rather clever and very modern -- removing the apostrophe from the Italian obscures the meaning a little for foreigners etc.

Just checking in to say that the one I tried was l'onda 1006 and after 45 minutes or so ( and an addition of a little ethanol ) it has unfurled a lot of great stuff. these are massive fragrances, and they are likely to bust your nose quite easily.

this dark green monster is fairly evocative, and I keep sniffing my arm. not only because it smells curious, and that I'm testing it, but when I'm not sniffing it up close it resembles a borneo oud. honestly. meditative, masculine and very medicinal. it is a witches brew and I'm undecided if I should call it madness. again, great textures, but unlike alfarom my nose isn't good enough to resolve it. where he finds clarity I find moiré.

for the next one, I'll write the name down, try full concentration on one arm and diluted on the other. I'll also keep notes. promise

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    for the next one, i'll write the name down, try full concentration on one arm and diluted on the other. I'll also keep notes. Promise
    loool

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    . As a fragrance aficionado, I just don't like getting confused about which fragrance is which!
    I see what you mean. Yes, It's much easier for us italians because any of these fragrance's name means actually something "real". It's just a sort of calembour achived by omitting the apostrophe but, when you read it, it make sense just like, let's say R'Oud Elements that turns into Rude Elements...

Power Where You Need It

BTW, I would like to add something. As far as I know, this line it's a sort of work in progress. What I mean is that most of these fragrances were committed by customers asking for a personalized composition and released in very limited batches. A few bottles are available to be purchased but, once they're gone, they're probably gone forever...

The brand is now building a continuative line, called Haiku, with which they will release easier to approach fragrances (sorry the lack of better words) inspired by the most significant compositions we're currently smelling. From what I got talking to Pregoni, the new line will be built by re-orchestrating some of these fragrances with less ingredients/elements and market them with a more accessible price-tag.

On a parallel level, he will keep on producing extremely limited, uncompromising compositions that are not necessarely aimed for the market.

Blog Entries

Confusing naming patterns for sure. I'd prefer a colon'd name or something. Even that is a bit lame ... I think the idea of making variations like that is a bit silly. better to simply release only the best one.
    O'Driu told me that regarding the numbered ones, the even numbers are female and the odd numbers are male. As far as I am aware there are three in that series so far, Londa, Linfidele, and Laltrove.

and... I think that these three also correspond to marine, green, and floral. I am really interested in your views about why the even numbers in these series would be considered to be female and the odd numbers male? Lets see....

PS: I don't find the numbers difficult, nor the distinction between them, but I could be wrong.....
    Last edited by Foustie; 24th March 2012 at 11:51 PM.

They consider 1006 feminine? Incredible

BTW, I would like to add something. As far as I know, this line it's a sort of work in progress. What I mean is that most of these fragrances were committed by customers asking for a personalized composition and released in very limited batches. A few bottles are available to be purchased but, once they're gone, they're probably gone forever...

The brand is now building a continuative line, called Haiku, with which they will release easier to approach fragrances (sorry the lack of better words) inspired by the most significant compositions we're currently smelling. From what I got talking to Pregoni, the new line will be built by re-orchestrating some of these fragrances with less ingredients/elements and market them with a more accessible price-tag.

On a parallel level, he will keep on producing extremely limited, uncompromising compositions that are not necessarely aimed for the market.
    Thanks for sharing is imperative point.
    for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    O'Driu told me that regarding the numbered ones, the even numbers are female and the odd numbers are male. As far as I am aware there are three in that series so far, Londa, Linfidele, and Laltrove.
    Exactly.

and... I think that these three also correspond to marine, green, and floral. I am really interested in your views about why the even numbers in these series would be considered to be female and the odd numbers male? Lets see....
    Ok, here's my "fantascientific" guess. Everything beginned with Ladamo and Leva (the Genesis). According to the Bible, Adam was created first (1, Odd number) and Eve was created just right after using a part of Adam's body (2, even number)...How it sounds? LOL

PS: I don't find the numbers difficult, nor the distinction between them, but I could be wrong.....
    Neither do I but maybe because they're italian names, therefore, much easier for me.
    Last edited by alfarom; 25th March 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Ok, here's my "fantascientific" guess. Everything beginned with Ladamo and Leva (the Genesis). According to the Bible, Adam was created first (1, Odd number) and Eve was created just right after using a part of Adam's body (2, even number)...How it sounds? LOL
    Gadzooks Buffy, you might just be right! Or it might just be to do with how many wobbly bits we have, whichever way you count them.

Seriously though, your theory sounds great. Ladamo and Leva are the Genesis Series.

I said something about the male and female versions in my little reviews of the Linfideles. I will add it in to post #64.

Really, I want to hear what the guys think about this.

Power Where You Need It

Added 25/03/2012
    I would say that if 1004 is intended to be the Feminine version of Linfidele and 1003 is intended to be a masculine version then I don't agree with those definitions at all. Preference will be a very personal thing with these fragrances but if we do have to define the two Linfideles by gender then I would say that 1003 is the feminine and 1004 is the masculine.

What do we think?
    That's exactly what Saripatates was wondering about Londa. Personally I stopped caring about feminine/masculine types of classifications when directly coming from any house but I still se what you and Sari mean in this case.

From the ones I've smelled, l'eva comes closest to what I conditionally would describe as feminine.

Today I'm wearing Vis Et Honor, because it has the easiest name to remember

By my notes this is what I smell:

undiluted left arm: moss, mold, aromatic indian amber, camphor, more aromatics
    diluted right arm: floral, mint, thyme, lemon

undiluted is better in this one, but I think diluting them a bit more makes them generally better. like a splash of water in a dram of whisky. it is also less tenacious than the others I've tried, but the opening punch to the nose is still there. I'm into the drydown and there is a smell of mushroom and compost. Again a dark green and brown fragrance. Curiously the first hour seems to be the best part of this one. Such bleak greenery. While I usually consider green fragrances as invigorating and uplifting, these are gnarly, gothic fragrances.

Power Where You Need It

while i usually consider green fragrances as invigorating and uplifting, these are gnarly, gothic fragrances.
    A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y!

Gothic and kinda epic too...

Blog Entries

.... these are gnarly, gothic fragrances.
    Loving that, and totally agree! Sari, the Vis et Honor, as I said before, after the fabulous, shocking opening, on me (and even more so on paper), the heart is much simpler, and it is mainly about Roman Chamomile? Very natural. Dusty, a bit like immortelle with the curry notes taken out.

Dependent

Loving that, and totally agree! Sari, the Vis et Honor, as I said before, after the fabulous, shocking opening, on me (and even more so on paper), the heart is much simpler, and it is mainly about Roman Chamomile? Very natural. Dusty, a bit like immortelle with the curry notes taken out.
    I don't get Roman chamomile, one of my favorite oils. I do get a lot of clary sage though.

I also got sage in it. I haven't smelled roman chamomile oil I'm afraid, so I don't know.
    it is a big mixture though, and all these terpenic, antiseptic aromatics start smelling alike after a point. it's anyone's guess.

Dependent

I also got sage in it. I haven't smelled roman chamomile oil I'm afraid, so I don't know.
    it is a big mixture though, and all these terpenic, antiseptic aromatics start smelling alike after a point. it's anyone's guess.
    Clary sage != Sage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clary_sage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_officinalis

oh. it turns out I know that one as well. I haven't smelled the oil of that one either, but I know the actual plant well.
    the fragrance is very faint now so I'll look for it the next time I wear it.

Dependent

oh. it turns out I know that one as well. I haven't smelled the oil of that one either, but I know the actual plant well.
    the fragrance is very faint now so I'll look for it the next time I wear it.
    cool, it doesn't grow over here. i would love to smell the plant.

Power Where You Need It

I don't get Roman chamomile, one of my favorite oils. I do get a lot of clary sage though.
    Are we talking about the drydown, right? What about castoreum Monkeybars, do you get it (I'm genuinely curious)? IMO the drydown of Vis et Honor is sort of mossy-animalic with a remarkable resin-y presence (at least on skin). Obviously, the omnipresent herbal quality it's still there but the overall effect is less herbal an more kinda woody-musky IMO.

Dependent

Are we talking about the drydown, right? What about castoreum Monkeybars, do you get it (I'm genuinely curious)? IMO the drydown of Vis et Honor is sort of mossy-animalic with a remarkable resin-y presence (at least on skin). Obviously, the omnipresent herbal quality it's still there but the overall effect is less herbal an more kinda woody-musky IMO.
    Nope, clary sage is more of a top to heart ingredient, which is where I smell it in Vis et Honor. I don't really get any castoreum from the drydown so far. I do get lots of labdanum along with the dominant balsamic woody accord.

Power Where You Need It

Nope, clary sage is more of a top to heart ingredient, which is where I smell it in Vis et Honor. I don't really get any castoreum from the drydown so far. I do get lots of labdanum along with the dominant balsamic woody accord.
    The woody balsamic accord is clear but the fragrance has a sort of visceral vibe which is clearly animalic to me.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that MB and Sari! I had Clary sage oil a while ago and I will bear that in mind on my next try. I am not an amateur perfumer (probably obvious!!) but I got slightly into aromatherapy oils a while ago. I still perceive the heart and the deep drydown in particular, as Chamomile, and that interests me because I think that it is part of the story. I think that this all just proves Alfaroms point about the possibilities for each person to experience these fragrances differently.

He does use castoreum in more than one of the fragrances. Saripatates mentions smelling horses. But there is definately also that blood and guts and metal accord. Well, that is how it smells to me anyway.

there is an animalic part to vis et honor, especially at the beginning. but there is also a huge amount of cardamom oil in it that smells fishy to me in high concentration.

I'm wearing linfedele 1004 today, also a bit of vis et honor on my other arm.
    1004 smells easier to like to me, and easier to deconstruct. I find more definition in this one, but it's also like a black metal band's logo like the others. it's a patchouli & incense fragrance above all to me, with a mulled fruit aspect. the curry and animalic aspects are everpresent. I like the bletted fruit facet.

so far I liked l...grigio the most, I think. I'll have to test and compare them all on paper after I'm finished with blind skin-testing. also, I'm taking a break tomorrow. I'm gonna wear some actual fragrance :P
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 26th March 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Power Where You Need It

so far I liked l...grigio the most, I think. I'll have to test and compare them all on paper after I'm finished with blind skin-testing.
    I still have to try some of them but, so far, I've to agree with you that Lalfeogrigio it's just amazing. The drydown expecially, it's quite something...

While I've definitely never been into black metal, I love the black metal band's logo comparison LOL

Power Where You Need It

Here's an interview with Angelo Orazio Pregoni (skip to the bottom of the page for the english version)

http://www.verderamemag.com/2012/03/...ts-and-smells/

Power Where You Need It

A little tease on the forthcoming new release from O'Drił...

The fragrance is called Laurhum (a linguistic mash-up bewteen Laurel and Rhum) and will be released in a limited edition of 33 bottles...Notes include: Green mandarine, Papyrus, Libellule Liberty (??), Petitgrain, Vanille, Laurel, Cinnamon, Tobacco, Rhum, Ylang-Ylang, Mold...