Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Sound Scents

Default Re: O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    After Drseid's review of Lalfeorosa I felt it was about time to give it a full wear...what an experience. Thanks Drseid.

Another outstanding delivery from O'Driù.

If you're getting sick of beautiful and catchy top notes evolving into synthetic and predictable drydowns, O'Driù is well worth checking out. In this context, the italian firm, has one of the most solid ranges available on the market. Ok, their fragrances are surely not the most easily approachable around and (may) need some wearings to be fully understood and appreciated but, once you've become familiar with the house challenging herbal signature, you'll be redy to discover some truly amazing compositions.

Lalfeorosa could make a perfect place to start exploring this wonderful range being, IMO, one of Pregoni's easiest to like deliveries. The usual culinary, sort of apothekary opening is toned down to quickly reveal a mindblowing drydown of spicy floral patterns (mainly rose and jasmine) and sweetish/balsamic elements such as tonka, vanilla and patchouli. Smooth yet incredibly rich, warm and extremely well balanced. A wower.

For several reasons, Lalfeorosa made me think about the most classic Guerlains (ok, I said it). Don't get me wrong, the fragrance doesn't share many objective similarities with the french firm but, at the same time, it shows the same solidity and overall top quality of ingredients. It's classic yet incredibly innovative and, most of all, when they do it right, there's no match for anyone else...
    Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Alfa. I was wondering what your experience would be, as I know scents with rose components tend to generally not be to your preferences. That said, I think one of the things that separates Lalfeorosa from other scents with rose is that the rose really is not the main star, IMO. It just works very nicely along with the spices to form a great overall accord. That makes the scent much more accessible, even to folks who normally don't care much for rose generally. Great stuff.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    well laph, just get all of them. odriu doesn't seem to be making simple pleasantries. if you are going to skip on one, maybe l'eva, I'd say.
    Not really planning on skipping any of them but I thought from reading earlier posts that they don't necessarily send you the whole line when you order samples.
    Perhaps I misunderstood?

that's correct my package was missing lafro. and I didn't really ask for any specific fragrance.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Alfa. I was wondering what your experience would be, as I know scents with rose components tend to generally not be to your preferences. That said, I think one of the things that separates Lalfeorosa from other scents with rose is that the rose really is not the main star, IMO. It just works very nicely along with the spices to form a great overall accord. That makes the scent much more accessible, even to folks who normally don't care much for rose generally. Great stuff.
    You're right Drseid, I'm surely not among the biggest fans of rose-centered fragrances. This actually doesn't mean that I don't like rose at all but I usually (not always) tend to dislike compositions where rose play the star role. Lalfeorosa is definitely a blend with some rose thrown in, which is perfectly fine for me. OUTSTANDING fragrance,

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Not really planning on skipping any of them but I thought from reading earlier posts that they don't necessarily send you the whole line when you order samples.
    Perhaps I misunderstood?
    Glad to have you around Laph. All O'Driùs are produced in VERY limited batches so, depending on the period, they may be out of some. They'll send what they have at the moment....

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Agree.

So far this is the one that grabbed me. I'm just making notes as I work thru them all and then I'll do a second run but initial impression for Lalfeorosa went along the lines of 'bewitching evening oriental'. I sense opoponax underneath but that may just be a ghost note from the balsamic / tonka mix. Two non-perfumista colleagues here mentioned 'sophisticated Indian Princess' and 'saffron, like Indian dessert' when they tried a dab. This one is quite sexy.
    Seriously, I knew you would have liked Lalfeogrigio

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Glad to have you around Laph. All O'Driùs are produced in VERY limited batches so, depending on the period, they may be out of some. They'll send what they have at the moment....
    Oh O see, thanks for the clarification alfa.

Do you know why Anna insists on asking for a VAT number, NIN, Social Security Number etc?
    In Australia we have Tax File Numbers and they're certainly not to be given out - they're solely for use by the government and financial institutions.

Power Where You Need It

I don't know but I believe it's something related to customs...(just a guess)

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Do you know why Anna insists on asking for a VAT number, NIN, Social Security Number etc?
    In Australia we have Tax File Numbers and they're certainly not to be given out - they're solely for use by the government and financial institutions.
    Good morning from O’DRIÙ.
    First of all, I’d like to thank the basenotes team and to express our appreciation for this forum important role in promoting perfumery culture, thanks also to everyone for the interest in O’DRIÙ perfumes: your opinion is very important to us, and we are grateful for every comment.

Our marketing colleagues reported a question about the service “O’DRIÙ samples” and our international shipping policies, and I hope to help.
    Effectively, our request for a VAT code/social security number/other could seem a bit odd. We understand, but this is a duty our tax laws impose us.
    As you know we ask a minimum participation in samples’ postage costs (samples are a free item, and postage costs are greater than what we ask for). In Italy, companies have to fill an invoice for every payment they receive, and this invoice needs a VAT code. Moreover, for international sales we need to fill a particular form which lists every sale and identifies each customer: this form has a blank for VAT/other code, and we have to fill it.
    We are strongly committed to O’DRIÙ’s friends privacy: every data will not be shared with anyone, the VAT code (or everything like this) will be used only to perform our tax duties and everything it’s protected by the Italian privacy law “D.Lgs. 193/03”.

From the O’DRIÙ’s staff and from Angelo Orazio Pregoni, thanks again.

Dependent

Welcome to Basenotes O'Driu!

Some more mini reviews. Just from paper again here. I picked 4 that don't have numbers since those are kind of confusing. . .

Ladamo: This one is mostly celery seed and what smells to me like fenugreek, and possibly saffron. Quite intense.

Lalfeogrigio: I get cumin and a green floral here, I think jasmine sambac.

Lalfeorosa: Another ylang ylang with a very light drydown of nothing much -- perhaps a touch of amber and copaiba.

Leva: I get lots of vetiver and cedar and some driftwood. Dry and rooty.

So far all of them smell 100% natural to my nose. I'm not getting any familiar synthetic animalics like galaxolide or even other common synthetics like Iso E and ambroxan. If there are synthetics, they are very very well hidden.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 3rd May 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Driù helpdesk View Post
    .... [snip] ... Effectively, our request for a VAT code/social security number/other could seem a bit odd. We understand, but this is a duty our tax laws impose us. .... [snip]
    [snip] .... : this form has a blank for VAT/other code, and we have to fill it. ... [snip] ...
    With respect, I'm afraid I too have a problem understanding this. I too have been wanting/hoping to get samples from O’DRIÙ as they have thoroughly intrigued me. And am more than prepared to pay for postage costs as I see that as a more than reasonable request (especially when posting internationally). However, I too have never before, when requesting samples from a company (internationally), been asked to provide a VAT number. ...

You mention the requirement being either "Vat/other code" ... If I were not predisposed to releasing a VAT number, may I ask what other "code number" would equally suffice for you, that I could perhaps use instead of ???
    (Thanking you in advance !! )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 3rd May 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Many companies sell all over the world. They have a specific organization devoted to this and –according to their national laws- specific sales licenses to sell goods directly to final customers. The “direct to customer” kind of sale usually doesn’t need an invoice: a receipt is often the only thing that is needed.

The “O’DRIÙ samples” service has been developed only to help persons to discover our fragrances sending them free samples with a partial payment for postage costs, in few words it’s not a “direct to customer” on line shop.
    This makes things easier for a certain side, but obliges us to create an invoice for each “sale”, even for a some eurocents one… may be in the future we will be able to offer a different service, but now this is the only possibility.

You write from the United Kingdom, so your “National Insurance Number” equals to our “codice fiscale”, and it’s enough to fill the international sales form that we have to fill; however, if you have any other doubt or you think you need any assistance, Anna and our entire staff are at your disposal to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    So far all of them smell 100% natural to my nose. I'm not getting any familiar synthetic animalics like galaxolide or even other common synthetics like Iso E and ambroxan. If there are synthetics, they are very very well hidden.
    Hi, thanks for your welcome.
    Yes, everything in O'Driù perfumes is 100% natural: only natural extracts, nothing of synthetic.

Bye!
    Last edited by O'Driù helpdesk; 3rd May 2012 at 02:02 PM.

I have since resolved my query with Anna. She was very helpful and attentive. Fantastic service.

I was able to provide an alternate number to satisfy the “codice fiscale” requirement.

...[snip] You write from the United Kingdom, so your “National Insurance Number” equals to our “codice fiscale”, and it’s enough to fill the international sales form that we have to fill; however, if you have any other doubt or you think you need any assistance, Anna and our entire staff are at your disposal to help you.
    Thank you very much for your prompt response, and more detailed explanation. Much appreciated ! ...
    I must admit I've only seldom dealt directly with Italy for perfumes/samples. Which is probably why I'd not yet encountered this specific "system" before. ... (Although, I must admit, I still can't help thinking it just sounds so unnecessarily extreme. ~ But who am I to criticise other's laws and requirements. )

I will hopefully be contacting Anna then ..... (as soon as I dig up my Nat.Ins.No. that is. - My memory is not what it used to be )

& once again thank you !

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

Dependent

Hi, thanks for your welcome.
    Yes, everything in O'Driù perfumes is 100% natural: only natural extracts, nothing of synthetic.
    Thanks for the info. I knew there wasn't any castoreum! (I doubt they are using any real animal ingredients. Though real ambergris would make the price seem a bit more sensible...)

Power Where You Need It

Thanks for the info. I knew there wasn't any castoreum! (I doubt they are using any real animal ingredients. Though real ambergris would make the price seem a bit more sensible...)
    Weird, Castoreum is clearly listed among the Vis Et Honor ingredients (not in the pyramid).

Dependent

Weird, Castoreum is clearly listed among the Vis Et Honor ingredients (not in the pyramid).
    Hm, I stand corrected . . . so these guys are sourcing real beaver juice huh?! woah

Dependent

dupe
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 17th May 2012 at 12:19 AM.

I knew this line had a sinister secret. No wonder I can't open the envelopes.

Power Where You Need It

Hm, I stand corrected . . . so these guys are sourcing real beaver juice huh?! woah
    If memory serves me well Vis Et Honor is not the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I knew this line had a sinister secret. No wonder I can't open the envelopes.
    Open those envelopes and face your destiny LOL
    Last edited by alfarom; 4th May 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries

YEEEAAAH Brian. Take it like a man.

LOL

Blog Entries

Good morning from O’DRIÙ.
    First of all, I’d like to thank the basenotes team and to express our appreciation for this forum important role in promoting perfumery culture, thanks also to everyone for the interest in O’DRIÙ perfumes: your opinion is very important to us, and we are grateful for every comment.
    A very warm welcome to O'DRIU!

Sound Scents

Here is my mini-review of Lalfeogrigio after a couple days wearing it. In short, I loved it. :-)

Lalfeogrigio opens with what now appears to be the O'driu house style of featuring a bracing blast of herbs and spices. I am getting a lot of oregano, dill weed, saffron and maybe even a smidgen of cumin (but I am sure I am missing a whole bunch of others in there too). These spices mix with the same heavenly subdued rose undertone that impressed me so much when I smelled Lalfeorosa. The heart notes hold onto the herbal mixture with the rose now very much in the background, then adding a large dose of hot chile pepper into the mix, slightly tempered by tonka bean that only sweetens the scent a tad. At this point I would say that Lalfeorosa and Lalfeogrigio are very similar, the differences between them quite subtle. Then shortly afterwards, the rose subsides in Lalfeogrigio and inserted in its place a mugwort (wormwood) note emerges. Wormwood is consistently a note that I have great problems with, but not here. I don't know how Mr. Pregoni did it, but in Lalfeogrigio it just meshes in with the other herbs effortlessly, like the wearer should just expect it to be there and not call undue attention to itself. The base features a sublime mixture of real semi-sweet sandalwood, meshing with the remnants of the spice and a very subtle coffee note that I detected in another of his other brilliant creations. Musk is in the base as well, but it is so well-balanced it does not come off as dirty or off-putting in the least. Projection and longevity are about average.

I could go on and on about the things I like about Lalfeogrigio, but in truth I would almost be copying my prior review of Lalfeorosa so I will spare readers the repetition. If I had to choose a favorite of the two masterworks, it would be Lalfeorosa, primarily due to the rose playing a bit more of an overall role in the scent's development that appeals to my personal reference for that note, but it is almost a toss-up. Both scents are easy recommendations to try if you have the ability to do so. In the case of Lalfeogrigio specifically, I give it a very strong 4.5/5 rating. A winning concoction, for sure.

I really did not mean for it to be a comparison review of the two sister scents, but it is near impossible not to compare them as they have so many similar characteristics...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

Terrific reivew Drseid, thanks for your thoughts!!!

Sound Scents

Terrific reivew Drseid, thanks for your thoughts!!!
    ... And thank *you* for pointing me to it, and the line in general.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

Hiya guys! Are you all OK? A treat today. A full wear of Lalfeorosa. I have been so careful with these samples because I am sending them on, but today I threw caution to the wind!! Oh, this is so wonderful! It has such presence, such otherworldly beauty. Nuff said.

Today I'm trying Lalfeorosa. I have a somewhat different reaction than others; I don't care for it although I do find some good moments.
    Juice: golden-olive.
    It starts with a very vanilla - biscuit - toasty caramel note, which almost immediately disappears and then reappears and persists at the very end. Here is the deal-breaker. I don't like foody or gourmand scents and despite the other good qualities, I can't warm up to this scent.
    After the opening chord, the scent moves to an aromatic stage which is smooth, substantial, spicy and which has a hint of leather. Nice.
    Then, gorgeous rose notes appear, and the scent reaches its apex for me. The rose notes are lovely, and combine with the "incense" which may well be oud since oud combines well with rose and is a traditional accompaniment. Sadly, this phase is very brief, perhaps two minutes maximum.
    Then, a very assertive tonka/hay/coumarin note blusters in and utterly vanquishes the rose. The coumarin increases, picks up all the stray spice molecules, and works to create a rather tangy tobacco-leaf note with hints of toasted nuts.
    Finally, the scent lapses back to a semi-gourmand style, gets sweeter, and I wash it off. :/
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

And that's how it seems to me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Seems to be a quirky problem in posting this, it show up but only partially.
    odysseusm

Sound Scents

Up this week is the excellent Laltrove 1002. I am definitely starting to see some major house "trademarks" in many of the scents in the line. I guess these seem to mesh with my tastes quite well. Next week I plan on sampling one of the less expensive scents in the line to see if I like one I can afford. :-) In the meantime, a copy of my review for Laltrove 1002 follows:

Laltrove 1002 opens on skin with the trademark O'driu house mix of herbs including dill, although this time the dill and other herbs are not quite as prominent as in most of their other offerings. I get a now familiar subdued rose that hangs in the background (another house trademark), mixed with a slightly camphorous, almost mentholated lavender and chamomile combo that appears early on as well. The mentholated lavender and chamomile remains in the heart notes, joined by just the faintest hint of carnation and remnants of the early dill spice that now takes more of a supporting role. I detect just a bit of wormwood peeping through into the heart notes as well. That wormwood strengthens just a bit in the base notes, joined by anise that takes the more prominent position at this point joined by saffron spice, and much later mildly sweetened by patchouli. Projection is below average to average, while longevity is average to above average.

Laltrove 1002 impressed me from open to close, but the semi-sweet dry-down that does not appear until well after the heart notes begin to dissipate (similar to what I experienced earlier when wearing Linfedele 1004) is the best part of the scent and is quite impressive. Also impressive is the use of the mentholated lavender here... Menthol and lavender are not notes I usually enjoy, but the combination is put together here with tremendous skill and competence by Pregoni. I think the dill may be the "glue" in facilitating that combination to work, as even in the background it adds just enough hint of sharp spice to counter the menthol; brilliant! Laltrove 1002 is yet another scent from the house of O'driu that I can highly recommend without any hesitation. 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Rats, I have found the first O'driu scent I dislike... and regrettably it was the one I hoped to buy if I liked it. :-( In any case, here is a brief review for Ladamo...

OK, well I guess there is at least one scent from the wonderful house of O'driu that I dislike... and I have found it in Ladamo, regrettably.

Ladamo opens with the faintest hint of brief ginger root... and then it turn to full out celery seed. Unfortunately on my skin the celery takes over in full force to the extent that it overpowers everything else. It is all I can smell from there on out. It is quite powerful on me, showing unbelievable projection, strength and longevity. Here, that is not a good thing as a detest celery with a passion. I feel like I am a walking celery stalk wearing Ladamo.

Looking at the pyramid for the scent above, in theory the notes are ones I enjoy. That, coupled with my prior extreme delight with everything else I have tried from O'driu led to me having high expectations going in... Unfortunately, whether by design, skin interaction or my over-sensitivity to the celery seed note I just can't like Ladamo at all. It is really a shame, because unlike all the other scents from the house that I love, this one was just within my price range, and I really want to support houses like O'driu that are so individualistic and unique. Alas, my money will not be going to support *this* one. I guess I will either have to save up for the more expensive offerings, and/or hope Leva fares better as it is equally priced with Ladamo. 2 out of 5 stars for Ladamo. Oh well, not every release can be a winner...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)