Code of Conduct

Default The Signature Scent: To Have or Not To Have

Since this is BN and most everyone on here is a huge fan of fragrances and all their intricacies, I'm wondering how people feel about being associated with a signature scent? Do the benefits of having an identity in your fragrance outweigh the drawbacks of not being able to use variety and/or cater fragrances to the occasion? Surely no one scent fully encapsulates all types of scenarios in life, but I'd be curious to know from those, especially those who DO choose to go with a signature scent, why that's how they chose to do it.

Default Re: The Signature Scent: To Have or Not To Have

Don't have a signature scent, and doubt I ever will. IF, however, I had to settle on one, it'd probably by MKF APOM Pour Homme. Or Lumiere Noire.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I have written on few previous threads my opinion on this subject, which remained pretty much the same: I rather have far more a "signature rotation", mostly anything between 5-20+ scents I alternate regularly and I am mostly identified with

I suspect, for frag-heads immersed in the hobby, it is more a case of a signature scent choosing you than the other way round. Namely, being grabbed by one scent to such an extent that all one's other loves are left by the wayside. At least temporarily...apart from the occasional dalliance

Well, I like the idea somehow, although I would never limit my wardrobe to ONE perfume. I consider Tabac Blond my signature for the winter half-year or cooler temps. However, I need to take breaks on purpose as I get either anosmic to it or I don't smell all the facets any longer. This usually happens after a week. Why Tabac Blond? I have always been fascinated by dark (in mood) and mysterious perfumes/art in general and TB pushes most of my buttons so well. It's almost that I think it smells a little of me.

Sur la Plage

Don't have one, don't want one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I'd rather have far more a "signature rotation", mostly anything between 5-20+ scents I alternate regularly and I am mostly identified with
    Agree.

I keep a nice roster of around 5-7 (various types) but I am extremely picky by nature. There are a few in my mix that I will never get rid of or get tired of. Variety keeps things exciting though. Don't limit yourself to just one scent. You might want to change according to seasons. More importantly, that "one" perfect scent will become not as special to your nose (and those around you) if you wear it every day.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Boring - need variety

mine is what I wear in every moment.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Sound Scents

I don't have one, and I am having too much fun with experimentation and variety to ever go to one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

its boring and i don;t want to be predictable

I would not limit myself to one fragrance , that would be extremely boring.

I wear whatever i like , whenever i like .

I don't find it particularly interesting if someone always smells the same. I even find it tiring to be around someone that always wears the same perfume (especially because they tend to put on WAY too much)

I dont find it possible to have just 1 signature. More likely and ideal scenario I am working on is 1 scent for each season and 1 formal fragrance. Samples/decants give me enough variety (to have fun with scents at home) and I am rarely not bored with scent before using all sample/decant (except of those mentioned below).

So far setup I am going for is:

Spring: Gucci PH II
    Summer: Acqua Di Gio (looking for replacement, maybe M7 Fresh for this summer)
    Autumn: Terre d'Hermes or Encre Noire
    Winter: Dior Homme Intense

Formal: Dior Homme or L'Instant Guerlain
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    agree ...

Having only one scent would be like having only one set of clothes. Why would one do that?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Same. Variety and discovery are the joys for me.

I think it's great to be able to find a fragrance that fits your personality, needs, and taste. Everyone has a favorite. Since when does having a signature scent mean that's the only scent you wear or love?

Part of me murmurs, 'Ah, were cost immaterial, I would probably just douse myself in Cuir de Russie every day, and be glad of it!' But the rest of me esteems Ken Russell's idea of a 'signature rotation'. I am not after a constant exploration of new fragrances; a sort of olfactory lust in which new inmates are constantly introduced to an every-changing harem. I hope for the really good fragrances I discover to prove lastingly satisfying and good. Quality over both quantity and variety.

At the moment I find 60% or so of the fragrances I favour in Caron, and the rest elsewhere.

I find the idea of a "signature scent" repellent. I don't feel the same every day, I don't where the same clothes every day, so why would I want to wear the same fragrance every day.

Fragrance is mood reflective or mood inducive, so one fragrance could never serve that purpose adequately day-in day-out.

Apart from anything else, how boring would it be to just wear one fragrance?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Ironically, my quest to find my SIGNATURE scent was what brought me to basenotes in the first place. However, instead of finding my signature scent, I found that I actually don't want one after all. I love the fact that I can wake up every day and wear something that suits my mood. In fact, just this morning, I knew I was going to have an important meeting. I wanted a "don't-mess-with-me" scent, and for whatever reason, I settled on M7. It only has to make sense to me. I love having a whole arsenal now.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

dont have dont want
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I think for many of us, the lack of a "signature" scent IS our signature.

But we smell goooooooood.

I used to have signature scents. I would usually wear 1 fragrance to go out and one for regular use. The more i got into fragrances the more i decided to have more variety.

I can totally understand why someone would have a signature. At one stage i would wear Rochas man; no one would know what i was wearing, but the silage would let them know i was about.

Now that i have developed my wardrobe, i decided to treat my colognes like my clothes and shoes and wear whatever, whenever. I would certainly never knock the idea of having a signature scent though. In a way it gives a certain identification. I remember back in the 90s when i was a joop wearer, girls used to say they thought of me whenever they smelt it on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by oolafsson View Post
    but I'd be curious to know from those, especially those who DO choose to go with a signature scent, why that's how they chose to do it.
    You wont find them here.

I have around 44 or so signature scents right now...

Quote Originally Posted by oolafsson View Post
    ............ I'm wondering how people feel about being associated with a signature scent?..........
    It's mainly absurd, but Patou pour Homme has enough character to satisfy that kind of thing if I was into it.

But all desire is born out of variety, and I like as much as I can get (the good kind).
    Last edited by pluran; 8th December 2011 at 09:12 AM.

I've settled with signature rotation, about 3 day scents, and 3 event/night scents. I usually get stuck for several days on one of the day scents and then take a break with the others and get stuck on one again. The event stuff gets decent wear for each.

Though, I still love the idea of smelling one way almost all the time. Rather than thinking about the scent that is right for the occasion, I fantasize about the scent that is perfect for the person. I've tried to find it with help here, but it just may not be so simple.

I have 30+ Signature Scents...

I wear a different one every day...

Not at the moment, no. All my fragrances are still battling for this position which might exist in the future.