Code of Conduct

Default Why is my cologne not lasting/projecting for more than an hour?

Hello guys and gals! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Now I have a situation, and I'm hoping maybe someone could help me solve this problem. Anyway here it is:

For some reason cologne just doesn't last on my skin. Most of my colognes will only last 2 hours TOPS and some seem to go away within the first hour. Here is what i have:
    burberry brit/touch ~1 hour then close to skin
    ysl l'homme ~ 1 hour then close to skin
    pure malt. ~ right now: 1-4 hours (which is weird because I have a dress shirt that still has the smell on if from months ago. Fabric? Cologne lost potency?)

My skin type, i believe, would classify as normal to slightly dry with it being not being overly oily or flaky.

I have tried applying it to chest, hair, wrists and shirt - same deal

Now i am aware of of olfactory fatigue, but i don't think this is the case. I almost never get any acknowledgment of my cologne, good or bad.

I have always kept the colognes in an AC room and away from sunlight. Although they are right by my light which im not sure how the light from a lamp will affect them. I have had the cologne for about 2 years.

Has anyone been faced with this problem and overcame it?? I'm not sure if its my skin chemistry, skin temperature, diet. I heard about using Vaseline or baby oil. Has anyone tried this? By the way, I'm in FL in case the ambient temperature was a factor. Sorry its kinda long, wanted to give the most info.
    As you can imagine this is so damn frustrating. I love my cologne, but it don't love me!

Default Re: Why is my cologne not lasting/projecting for more than an hour?

Perhaps try applying an unscented lotion to you skin prior to spraying to see if you get better longevity. It could also be your skin chemistry. Nothing to lose by trying.

Guerlainista

I find that few scents last more than a few hours on my skin. When I apply, I always apply a spray to my shirt to hold the scent longer. I think its probably a combination of olfactory fatigue and skin type. After a couple of hours, the scent on the skin is too weak to register, but on the shirt it still hangs on. Usually when I can't smell it on myself, my wife still can, sometimes even from a couple feet away.

You say that you have a shirt that is still smells like Pure Malt after months, but that you've tried spraying your shirt and that didn't work either. If you check the shirt the next day, can you smell the scent again? It sounds like olfactory fatigue to me.

Unscented lotion may help longevity on skin. I find it helps a little bit. Something you can try to avoid olfacactory fatigue is not to spray too close to your face. Spraying on your neck exposes your nose to the scent much more. Try spraying only on your arms and maybe back of your neck. I haven't tested this, but heard it suggested before, and it makes sense.

You are apparently experiencing olfactory fatigue. Search for those 2 words and read the old posts about it.