Code of Conduct

Default Looking for an oriental fragrance with strong vanilla/tonka bean base notes

I am in love with the men's fragrance L'Occtain Eau des Baux but want a feminine version for myself. Any suggestions?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Looking for an oriental fragrance with strong vanilla/tonka bean base notes

Eau des Baux is perfectly acceptable as unisex IMHO (my other half uses it regularly). If you enjoy it there is no good reason why you can't wear it yourself. Go for it !.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 4th December 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: Looking for an oriental fragrance with strong vanilla/tonka bean base notes

Have you yourself given this a try?

Tobacco Vanille
    Angel

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Eau des Baux is perfectly acceptable as unisex IMHO (my other half uses it regularly). If you enjoy it there is no good reason why you can't wear it yourself. Go for it !.
    + 1
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Dior Addict.

Welcome to basenotes!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you yourself given this a try?
    I tested this at the mall, walked around while I shopped and felt addicted to the scent - kept smelling my wrist and thought to myself - all I want to do is bury my face in the neck of a man wearing this fragrance.

Since I really don't want women burying their faces in my neck - I thought a more feminine version would be more appropriate.

I am a lover of what I call "desert" scents ... chocolate, almond, vanilla, berry, merlot, cinnamon/clove, citrus, honey, candy scents. I like
    some florals - jasmine, honeysuckle and I love the scent of some roses, the wine or citrus scented roses, just not the rose used in most perfumes. Don't like green or herbal scents.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Shalimar by Guerlain
    Agree. Shalimar is the reference vanilla/tonka.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Try Hypnotic Poison as well.

Oh, & Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Bois 1920 Notturno Fiorentino is absolutely gorgeous. It's got a strong vanilla/tonka base. It's got a floral heart, but blackcurrant and black pepper add a little kick. Bois 1920 La Vaniglia is great too--vanilla is very prominent all the way through the drydown.

Banned

Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford - In the opening, one is majically transported to an established, tabacconist shop, with its delightful explosion of varied scents from its myriad of apothecary jars, and a concomitant assortment of fragrant spices. The initial slap of tabacco scales down to a pleasing level. From afar, a creamy vanilla beckons this mishmash to join the party of the heart. Here, the comforting vanilla along with the smooth tonka bean brew with the dry tabacco, and imparts its delectable sweetness. A faint, lovely floral - tabacco flower - pirouettes here and there, and a delectable scent of cocoa occasionally peeks through. The buff base rears and pulls the vanilla concoction into its pungent, fruity accords and syrupy, sweet wood sap, adding finishing touches to the vanilla star. This rich composition has superior longevity and very good projection.

What is it in Eau des Baux that you find "masculine"? That might help us guide you.
    Another to try, although I would not call it more feminine, is Parfum d'Nicolai Vanille-Tonka. It has your citrus, soft floral, cinnamon and vanilla/tonka. But it is not sweet at all, and has a heavy frankincense note.
    But it is marketed as a unisex I believe, possibly even a feminine, I can't remember. That might help

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Agree. Shalimar is the reference vanilla/tonka.
    +1....
    "Music Is My Mistress, and She Plays Second Fiddle To No One"-Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    What is it in Eau des Baux that you find "masculine"? That might help us guide you.
    Another to try, although I would not call it more feminine, is Parfum d'Nicolai Vanille-Tonka. It has your citrus, soft floral, cinnamon and vanilla/tonka. But it is not sweet at all, and has a heavy frankincense note.
    But it is marketed as a unisex I believe, possibly even a feminine, I can't remember. That might help
    I wish I had the refined nose to know exactly what makes Eau des Baux masculine - what I do know is the emotional response that I got from the scent was one of safety - like the person wearing the scent could protect me from the world. The vanilla and tonka are comforting and I find that unisex, but whatever the additional undertone is that makes me sense protective qualities is what I want in a men's fragrance, but don't want in my fragrance. I am overwhelmed with responsibility and don't want to feel strong and protective - I want to feel comforted but vulnerable and sexy.

Creed Sublime Vanille

+ 1 for Shalimar , Hypnotic Poison and Dior addict. You should also give L by Lolita Lempicka, Chergui by Serge Lutens , Love's true bluish light by Ava Luxe and possibly Trouble by Boucheron a try.

I really like Miller Harris Fleur Oriental.

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme. Cocoa with a typical vanilla/tonka Guerlinade drydown. And you really can take 'Pour Homme' with a pinch of salt in this case! If you like dessert scents you should sample this beauty.

Thank you everyone. I now have a list of 15 fragrances to sample and we'll see which one makes my heart sing!

Angel
    Dior Addict
    Shalimar by Guerlain
    Hypnotic Poison
    Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream
    Notturno Fiorentino
    Bois 1920 La Vaniglia
    Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Creed Sublime Vanille
    L by Lolita Lempicka
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Love's true bluish light by Ava Luxe
    Trouble by Boucheron
    Miller Harris Fleur Oriental
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Blog Entries

Happy sniffing, & do let us know what you pick!

Kenzo Amour is fairly easy to find. Tobacco Vanille isn't as easy to find but it is heavenly.