Code of Conduct

Default Where do I go from here and how do I learn more?

Hi everyone,

I am a 20 year old male who recently bought his first cologne (YSL L'Homme). I enjoy it very much and want to learn more as well as expand what I own.

What should I read and if anyone has any suggestions as far as other colognes to look at (preferably that I can sample in a department store), I would appreciate it!

When I was looking at this, I also found that I enjoyed John Varvatos original quite a bit although it is very different than L'Homme.

Thanks for reading, hope it was clear what I'm looking for! If there's anything I need to clarify, let me know.

Thanks,
    Michael

Default Re: Where do I go from here and how do I learn more?

Welcome! You will learn a lot as I have learned from the many knowledgeable people on this forum. You might want to check out:
    Perfumes (the A-Z Guide) by Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez) for reviews and perspectives on different fragrances. As for colognes, there are so many. Others here will have better suggestions than I.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome! You will learn a lot as I have learned from the many knowledgeable people on this forum. You might want to check out:
    Perfumes (the A-Z Guide) by Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez) for reviews and perspectives on different fragrances. As for colognes, there are so many. Others here will have better suggestions than I.
    Thanks for the guide, I'll have to take a look at that.

If you could even just list a couple you like and explain why it is that you enjoy them, I'd appreciate it. Really, I'm most interested in just broadening my perspective a little bit.

I'll list five I like that can be found in major department stores:

Midnight in Paris - Van Cleef & Arpels
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Egoiste - Chanel
    Boucheron Pour Homme - Boucheron
    Fahrenheit - Dior
    Last edited by hednic; 9th December 2011 at 06:42 AM.

Here are a few to try:

Acqua di Parma Colonia - a classic cologne, this is citrusy and soapy, sort of an old fashioned barbershop scent. Unlike many of this style, it lasts for a while. Its clean and fresh, but not in the modern aquatic way (not that thats bad, but its very common).
    Chanel Egoiste - warm and woody, earthy, masculine, but classy. Egoiste is awesome, and not like any other fragrance you'll find in a department store.
    Thierry Mugler A*Men - a gourmand, this smells sweet - chocolate, vanilla, caramel - with a hint of tar giving it some bite. Lasts forever, and smells cozy and delicious many hours later.
    Dior Homme - i haven't tried it, but people love it. An iris-based fragrance for men, it sounds great. Its on my list to try.
    Guerlain Habit Rouge - because its the best mens scent in existence ( IMHO, of course). It starts citrusy and ends kind of vanillic leathery, with all kinds of stuff in between. That doesn't really tell the story though - the whole is more than the sum of the parts with this one.

Those are a pretty wide range. You'll have to go to a higher end department store for some - a Nordstroms, or Neiman/Barney's.

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme, also in the EDP version

Bulgari Black is liked by many, quite different than other frags, and worth trying simply for that. As someone who was first starting out it was one of my first favorites. You can usually find it at places like Macys. In that weird bottle that looks like a hockey puck - you can't miss it.

click on the link in my sig about self education and start reading...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sample when you can and don't dismiss a fragrance within the first day. Wear it for a couple days and let it grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Sample when you can and don't dismiss a fragrance within the first day. Wear it for a couple days and let it grow on you.
    Nor should you like a fragrance within the first day. I found out with Burberry Brit. It's a good scent, but even with a light application now, I get nauseated. Something about it just doesn't suite my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Bulgari Black is liked by many, quite different than other frags, and worth trying simply for that. As someone who was first starting out it was one of my first favorites. You can usually find it at places like Macys. In that weird bottle that looks like a hockey puck - you can't miss it.
    I've gone and smelled this and can't get it out of my head. Very interesting, not as safe as something like L'Homme, even to my nose, but very very appealing to me.

I'll have to try it a couple more times, just to be sure, but this is something I'm leaning towards at this point.

I'm also a beginner, and I also like the Bulgari Black. I just picked up some Bulgari AQVA, which is also great.

Dependent

Enjoy this hobby! Shop around and while doing so time will be your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Enjoy this hobby! Shop around and while doing so time will be your best friend.
    I've really found this to be true myself. It takes time to really figure out what you like. The more things you can sample ( sounds like a good idea, eh ? ) the more time you'll have to give yourself.

Every now and then you hit on something that smells great to you....even when it's something that other people don't seem wild about. The thing to remember is that it's not about impressing other people, but more what makes you happy.

Over time you will get a sense for what to wear when. Some stuff you just wear at home foe yourself, other stuff is astonishing, but too much for daily wear. Other stuff may not feel like much to begin with, but over time you feel comfortable with it, and it's something you can wear out in the world in ways that are pleasing, but not too challenging to others around you.

Doping this landscape out can take time, as was mentioned above, and I can't claim to have a handle on it yet. But with time, I'm starting to get a sense of what feels right to me, as an individual, and that's a lot of what a this form of happy and artistically personal discovery is all about.

And yeah, how 'bout that Bulvgari Black ? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I've really found this to be true myself. It takes time to really figure out what you like. The more things you can sample ( sounds like a good idea, eh ? ) the more time you'll have to give yourself.

Every now and then you hit on something that smells great to you....even when it's something that other people don't seem wild about. The thing to remember is that it's not about impressing other people, but more what makes you happy.

Over time you will get a sense for what to wear when. Some stuff you just wear at home foe yourself, other stuff is astonishing, but too much for daily wear. Other stuff may not feel like much to begin with, but over time you feel comfortable with it, and it's something you can wear out in the world in ways that are pleasing, but not too challenging to others around you.

Doping this landscape out can take time, as was mentioned above, and I can't claim to have a handle on it yet. But with time, I'm starting to get a sense of what feels right to me, as an individual, and that's a lot of what a this form of happy and artistically personal discovery is all about.

And yeah, how 'bout that Bulvgari Black ? :-)
    Thanks for the response. I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all of the choices that are available at the moment, but for me, Black was the first fragrance that I genuinely found interesting in a way that goes far beyond smelling 'good'.

I'll keep your advice in mind as I proceed on this seemingly endless journey.

I would suggest just stick with your local Sephora and/or department store of choice. Smell them all, find what you like, and buy a bottle here and there.

One big suggestion. Try to limit yourself to buying no more than one bottle a month. It's tempting to go out and get lots of stuff, but you won't appreciate them as much if you get about six or bottles in a short period of time. It'll also make you seek things out a bit more and learn much (MUCH) more about it along the way.

You really have to train your brain when you smell something new it sometimes doesn't 'register' so your brain reverts to what it is familiar with so your perception of the fragrance at one point in time may be very different later after you've sampled lots and your brain has a frame of reference. So sample sample sample and I find it much better to purchase samples from places like Luckyscent, the Perfumed Court or other places and then sample at home where I'm not surrounded by lots of other scents. Department stores are too overwhelming for me to sample things well.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance-fetish View Post
    I would suggest just stick with your local Sephora and/or department store of choice. Smell them all, find what you like, and buy a bottle here and there.

One big suggestion. Try to limit yourself to buying no more than one bottle a month. It's tempting to go out and get lots of stuff, but you won't appreciate them as much if you get about six or bottles in a short period of time. It'll also make you seek things out a bit more and learn much (MUCH) more about it along the way.
    I'm sticking to the 1 a month theory, I agree that it makes me think harder about what I do and don't like.

I find it difficult to compare dissimilar scents, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I'll have to order some samples from one of the websites listed above before buying my next one, I want to branch out a little more and try some that are harder to find in department stores.